Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Negativity!

Been away from my computer for few days. Opened my e-mail and down came a long list of new posts from this website, and ALL were NEGATIVE!

WHAT A DRAG!

Then I find a post from a person who is considering the surgery but having 2nd thoughts because of all the info he/she is reading here. THAT got to me!

So I need to vent.

First, I have to give disclosure that what I say is only from my own personal experiences, and of course, everyone should follow what their Dr. says, not a stranger.

I LOVE my band. It is the best thing I have ever done, and without a doubt has changed my life and probably saved it too.

It is doing everything that I had hoped and imagined it would do! And I can honestly say I do not have one single complaint or problem!

People say it is a "Tool" that you use and with a little hard work and determination you can make it work. Well, sorry, I have been on more diets that I can remember and this is the EASIEST weight loss

experience I have ever imagined. I have undergone major bariatric surgery and had a foreign object put inside me to change my eating habits...and that is exactly what it is doing. The main discipline for

me is making wise food choices. And for that there is a learning curve!

First, it has controlled and curbed my hunger. There are times when I know it's time to eat and I just don't feel like it.

Second, when I do eat, the amount of food I can eat is very, very small! I could not overeat if I wanted to!

Recently people here have stated they dread the thought of Thanksgiving and not overeating and ruining their progress. My only anxiety is that I WON"T be able to eat my favorite foods! I've thought this through and think I am going to at least have a "Taste" of everything on the table. But I will have to save the stuffing for last because that's not going to work at all.

I still go out to my favorite restaurants. I drink coffee all hours of the day. I enjoy an alcohol drink now and then. I don't measure/weigh my food. There is just so much that will fit in my pouch. If I did weigh/measure what I ate I am sure I would find it to be proportional to what I should be allowed. In other words I can't overeat no matter how much I may want to!

My Diabetes is completely reversed! At one point I was taking 60 units of Lantus at bedtime, plus oral meds during the day with meals. NO MORE! GONE!

I now go to the gym and workout like a madman. Not because I have to, but because the things I can now do are amazing (to me) and I can't wait to get back and do it again!

I wear clothes that are "Normal" sized. Bought 2 winter coats that are MEDIUMS!

I have not had a fill since May. I tell my Dr. everything I am doing. He says I am in a good place, exactly where I should be, in the Green Zone. Go and enjoy your life and I will see you in 3 months.

I have to say it continues to get better every week as more old habits die away and new habits are learned and become second nature.

I get up and go to work and come home everyday. There are days I do not even think about being banded. (like having bridgework)

I need to say it took me 4 months from surgery to get to this place, where things started to fall in place. THAT was when my weight loss journey began. NOT when I had the surgery.

And like I said, it keeps on getting better.

There. I'll get off my soapbox now.

lol not a soap box ......girl that was just some real life and emotions right there. It's all good i found it very realistic and insightful.

Chasity

I LOVE my band too! I have to totally agree with everythong-I mean everything B-52 said! I don't measure, count calories, or any of that stuff. My only worry for Thanksgaiving is also that it will be noticable how little I actually eat! There certainly was a learning curve for me-but now I am learning. I also have coffee everyday and drink socially.

I feel great-I remember this time last year I hated looking at myself in a store mirror. I can remember going up an escalator and not looking at the mirror. Now I am in the dressing rooms smiling and loving life-also on the dance floor! I love going out now!

I feel like you channeled my spirit lol..... awesome!!!

Good job! I too was getting tired of all the negativity on here. I have my first fill on Friday, yes the week before Thanksgiving, and i am so excited to move to the next phase of this journey. I've already planned out Thanksgiving around things I will be able to eat. Thanksgiving should not be about the food, but coming together as a family.

Thank you B-52 and all the other responses on here. I am really happy with my band, too! I have a family of banders, me, my daughter and my son. We are all happier and healthier with our bands. Thanksgiving will be a true time of thanks for our healthier lives, and good friends and our band! Good luck to us all, and Happy Thanksgiving! I leave today for my very 1st cruise! See you next week. Karen

I joined this group a month ago right before my consulktation. I have to say that the posts have made me nervous about my surgery in February. Your post is the post I have been looking for! Thank you for sharing your emotions and experiences!! Thank you B-52!

I to have not posted fow awhile now. Totally agree with the negative posts. LOVE my band. Maybe its upto us band lovers to start posting more positive stuff more often. I know for me, it gets a little old reading the same things all the time about how everyone is cheating after two days or the get frustrated about not losing after two weeks.

I have to remind myself that I was in those shoes once and had all the questions they have now. I hope new posters will forgive some of the old posters for not always being there as they should be to help be positive amoung the negative. :)

I hear ya Brother, Running my first 5 mile turkey trot on thanksgiving with 13200 other individuals. I would have never considered this before my band but now I cant wait! To bad more of us wouldn't think about posting our positives when things are good in our banded journey. I love my new life thanks to my band and my own personal hard work.

Very well said B-52. I couldn't agree more. Although I am only 3 1/2 months into my journey, I already LOVE my band. I can't wait to reach my Green Zone. It gets better and better every day. I get my 3rd fill on Nov. 22 and I should be very close to green. I agree with LB4me! Some people have thought I was crazy for getting a fill right before Thanksgiving, but I don't think so. I am not the same person I was before. I will be the one who doesn't feel miserable after dinner :) I will not put on 5 lbs. I will be loosing weight over the holidays and feeling great! I think that we do need more positive posts. Enough with the negativity.

Happy Early Thanksgiving Everyone- I am very THANKFUL for my band.

Thank you for this post. I have decided when I first started on this journey to focus only on the things that I want to achieve. I have sorrounded myself with "Positive Thinkers" and "Inspirational Friends". It is because of this post from you and many others that I would like to return the favor when I am where you are in my journey. Thank You!

AMEN! and AMEN!

Dam the torpedo's, full steam ahead.

Ain't nothin' going to get in my way.

Thank you for this post. I have decided when I first started on this journey to focus only on the things that I want to achieve. I have sorrounded myself with "Positive Thinkers" and "Inspirational Friends". It is because of this post from you and many others that I would like to return the favor when I am where you are in my journey. Thank You!

You're gonna do just fine!

Plus you have a nice smile.....when you put the 2 together, Watch Out!

Well said B-52!

I had to stop reading for a while in the beginning because of the negativity but I try to remember people come here that are having issues or have questions. It is hard to do sometimes. :rolleyes: I love my band too! YAY!