Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life without huge bowls of rice a roni?

now that i am scheduled :clap2: ((hold your applause please)):ohwell:

each day, each meal, i contemplate the bands effect of limiting my portions. i am certain that i can comply with the band rules of meal engagement. however...

i am absolutely terrified of the idea of not being able to just stuff myself with rice-a-roni. my logic tells me that i will be fine with limited amounts of the san francisco treat, but my stomach's alter ego is in denial.

I HAVE BEEN ADVISED BY MANY OF YOU TO NOT RULE OUT ANY food PREMATURELY...BUT NOW I HAVE STARTED THINKING IN TERMS OF...

HOW IN THE HELL CAN I NOT EAT THE WHOLE DAMN BASKET OF chips AND SALSA...ETC...

DOES ANYONE FEEL MY PAIN!!!

NOW I HAVE RESORTED TO GORGING MYSELF AT EACH MEAL, AND I HAVE TO START THE PREOP DIET SOON...

THIS CANT BE HEALTHY!!!!!!!:couch2: :help:

stop the madness! Just stop it.

food is not your friend, but it isn't your enemy either.

You most likely will not be able to eat rice-aroni again. Many Bandsters find rice very difficult. Waa, boo-hoo. What you will get in exchange for giving up rice-aroni will amaze you. You will be able to walk up several flights of stairs at a time. You will be able to cross your legs, you will change the way you look at life and the way you live.

food will not be the center of your life anymore.

So, buck-up little camper! It doesn't matter if you never eat rice-aroni again.

Restriction is the key, my dear. With it, you can put down that bowl of rice-a-roni...or throw it down as you run to the bathroom to PB it right back up.

I know what you are saying and there are times I long for the days when I could numb myself with huge quantities of carb rich food. Sometimes I still try...I've made rice-a-roni thinking..."I can eat it if I just go slow" but then WHAM. Nope. But I'm ok. And you will be too. Like Vines so wisely said- you'll be able to walk up stair and cross your legs.

It sounds very foreign, I know...and you can only know when you know. I think I'm too sleepy and am not making sense.

It's great that you are thinking about these things now...it will help you later.

Megan

I wholeheartedly agree with Vines. Although I felt just like you did before I went on the pre-op diet. I kept feeling this panic of -having- to get taht last meal of this, or that last huge helping of that. But then, when I started the pre-op diet, I got serious. Something changed. I knew it was time to make the full on effort to get that liver shrunk. I was NOT going to wake up without my band!

Now, here's what's cool.. getting your band often changes your tastes. I used to be a coffee addict, but now I can't stand the taste of it! I have lost my desire to eat large amounts. In fact, the thought of it makes me want to puke. So, just trust that you are about to embark on an adventure that will definitely be making some changes in your life, but they aren't changes you will necessarily care about once you are on the other side of the band!

Cheer up, relax, and think on the things Vines mentioned as the trade-offs and rewards. You'll be fine. :couch2:

I also agree with what everyone else has said, but just wanted to let you know my band is pretty restricted but I can eat rice...not huge amounts but a little bit with my stir fries etc.

Good Luck

I totally know that the band is different for everyone, I just had my second fill and meat is not my friend, but I can eat pringles with dip. I don't do that very often though because I am trying to find other ways of getting my Protein, which pringles lack. (to bad) So i am eating lowfat cottage cheese, Peanut Butter, slim fast for Breakfast because that is all I can handle in the morning. Those things taste pretty darn good when your hungry!

It hasn't been easy, but fitting into sizes that I have been trying for years to get into has made it worth it.

Everybody gave you such great advice. I can eat rice...just real slow and tiny bites...by the time I am finished I often feel it wasn't worth the effort...so I don't eat it much anymore.

you guys are great. i really thought alot about vines words...thanx sister! wow, crossing my legs? you mean without having to prop my foot against a really strong wall to hold it in place........hmmmmm....

i have faith that the band will condition my body and mind to have different responses to certain foods...kinda like pavlov's dogs right?

......i LOVE Peanut Butter, thank goodness someone said they eat that to get their Protein....yummmmmy!

Peanut Butter is awsome, you may want to start with smooth, but crunchy doesn't even bother me if i chew it well, I can't eat meat but I can eat crunchy peanut butter! sometimes this thing (the band) confuses me.

girl, don't think of giving up rice-a-roni. you just go ahead and try it with some restriction. you will thank god you can give it up! rice hurts me so bad i don't even try it anymore. i had some indian food last night and just ate the Beans & spinach. a few grains of rice got mixed up in it even tho it was in one of those compartmentalized trays. oooh weeeee that was painful. i agree with dee: RICE IS EVIL! and i used to love it...

You won't believe how much your tastes will change. I was a Cereal freak, and now, I bet I haven't had cereal in at least 5 months. Just don't want it. I'm struggling more with ice cream, but even that is changing. I don't think I've had that in over a week...doesn't sound like much, but it's a victory. Take it one day at a time, and don't borrow trouble! There's plenty of that around, anyway! Cindy

It's all part of emotional eating that got you (and me) into this mess in the first place. There will be some grieving and unfortunately, there will be some foods that you may have to give up forever. For the record, I have no problem at all with Rice-a Roni, but I sure eat a lot less of it these days!!!

You really do get used to it, though, and when you start to see the pounds fall off you will realize how worth it this is.