Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods you cannot eat

I'm FINALLY getting banded this Friday 9/30/2011 :Banane29: Happy Dance Everybody!!!

Anyway, I had my final meeting with my nutrionist last week. She told me there are several foods that folks that have been banded absolutely can not eat (across the board). Just to name a few:

• Bread
  • Celery
  • pizza
  • Flour tortillas (what the heck, I'm from NM :mellow: !)
  • Anything that is breaded

My question is, is anybody able to eat any of hte above?

Wow I have a flour tortilla wrap all the time and have had no problem. I will make a pizza with one if I am craving pizza because I can control the sauce and cheese. I have stayed clear of bread though.

I have found that I can eat a tortilla if I put something on it, like cheese or salsa or something. Otherwise it gets stuck. I do not eat bread. I may have a tiny bite of a roll at a resturant but I can't eat the whole thing. I have found that I can eat one small piece of a thin crust pizza but if I over do it, it will get stuck. As far as the celery, I make chicken salad with it all the time. But cute into small pieces.

I can't eat a salad! Most folks I talk to can. I can't do either lettuce, or skin of tomatoes. I stay away from it, mostly. I can eat hard breads, but I take very small bites. I tried to eat ministroni Soup once from Olive Garden, it was not a pretty sight! People are different, kind of have to test your band. Good luck, Karen

I can eat tortillas, whole wheat bread, Pasta, rice, corn, celery and popcorn. i do have trouble with lettuce sometimes, don't know why since i can get the other stuff down. i didn't try those things right after being banded. i did wait a couple of months before trying them. everyone is different on what they can or can't eat.

I can't eat tortillas or potatoes. Potatoes especially, I have PBed everytime. I haven't tried salad or bread yet. I'm new to restriction, but LOVING it!

I'm FINALLY getting banded this Friday 9/30/2011 :Banane29: Happy Dance Everybody!!!

Anyway, I had my final meeting with my nutrionist last week. She told me there are several foods that folks that have been banded absolutely can not eat (across the board). Just to name a few:

• Bread
  • Celery
  • pizza

I don't do bread... but i do eat crackers. (Crunchmaster's Multi-seed crackers) OMG Good. I eat them most everyday you can buy them at Sams Club.

I do celery if its purred or cooked (from the south celery is a must to any great dish)

I don't do pizza.. at first i could eat it, but i chose not too....(i do sometimes eat the toppings)

I have tried to do tortillas, not good for me. But if they are fried crunchy... then i can eat them

I can eat breaded items, but i chose not too... Eating fried EVERYTHING (again being from the south) is how i got to 223.

I can't do steak anymore... and left over anything gives me trouble, ice burg lettuce gives me trouble, but i can eat mixed salad baby greens.

But like with everything, do your research, and do your best to stay away from the "bad" things. My biggest problem is ice cream... omg... I LOVE LOVE LOVE ICE CREAM..... Guess what, it goes down soooo easy.

Remember.... every one is different.

Good luck with your journey...

I have trouble with stringy meats and dry meats. I have trouble with some breads but toast is OK.wink.gif I have no issues with celery,popcorn. I know everyone is differnt and I believe its a hit and miss with us all. All you can do is try.

Kat

I can't do any bread. I have trouble with eggs getting stuck. I have to eat slow or everything will get stuck. I can't do dry meat. I do crunchy stuff better than soft. Everyone is different so just take it slow and find out what works for you.

Well, she's wrong! Where do these people get off really, frightening folk with supposedly black and white facts when in reality they dont know what they're talking about?

There is nothing I cant eat if I really want to eat it. I dont eat celery because who really wants to eat something tasteless that leaves a bunch of wooly fibre in their mouth? But I can eat it, I did so the other day off a dip plate. I can eat ALL the foods you've listed. Every now and then something will get stuck and make me pb, but its a different food every time, and usually user error when I've scarfed something without taking my time to concentrate and slow down.

Of course, its possible that one or two of those foods wont work for you, or you'll find others you cant really eat. Any doctor or nutritionist should warn you of the common ones - bread, Pasta, rice, red meat - but nobody should tell you that with certainty!

For what its worth, there's also no right way to eat to lose weight. Plenty of low carbers here, they've done great. There's also plenty of the eat what you want just in small portions tribe and they've done great too! Its even possible to lose over 100lb and keep it off without ever drinking a single Protein shake! Some people exercise and lose lots, some people do no exercise and do great and some people eat under 1000 calories and exercise with dedication and stills truggle to lose. You need to find what works for you, and dont listen to anyone who tells you you must do it in a particular way.

I agree with what Jacqui said. They should have told you about the foods that may give you trouble, but we are all so different. You won't know the things that give you trouble (if any) until you are banded. Even after you are banded things may change a bit over time.

In my case there are foods that I'm sure I will never be able to eat again and some that I had trouble with the first year, but eat now.

Bread: only if I tear it into small bites and only a few.

celery: no way, no how...too stringy, tried twice and got stuck both times

pizza: yes thin crust only with just a few toppings, and chew chew chew. (1 piece, instead of the whole pie)

flour tortillas, only with small bites same with anything breaded, so most of the time it is not worth my effort.

Good luck, try different things. I am still experimenting and learning the no-nos. I do not stick to a strict diet (I hate that word...have ALWAYS failed). I try things, if they work, I have a bite or two and I am usually full. Good luck on FRIDAY!!!:lol:

• Bread
  • Celery
  • pizza

I can eat everything I have trouble when I dont chew or take big bites but other than that I have no issues eating anything. I had an hour stuck episode on salad but only because I tried to eat more than I could and too fast. I dont eat celery because it has no nutritional value.

I also agree that everyone is different and what one person can eat another person might have problems with-it's a real learning experience! For me, pizza is a great big no-no! Every time it causes me to get very sick and it's simply not worth it!

I avoid bread, although sometimes I take a teeny, teeny piece. I have found that doughy breads are not good for me at all. Oddly enough, thin crisp types are fine. I could eat hard taco shell, but not a soft one. I can eat mashed potatoes, but not french fries. I haven't done salads or fruits like I use to-but in small amounts I can. You'll learn what works for you and what to avoid.:)

Thank you all for your responses. Very interesting. So can anbody eat Subway Sandwich? lol That is my favorite food ever!