Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I agree with everything. I try not to tach tv, look at a magazine or look at a billboard until my first fill. BTW, non fat greek yogurt with splenda is something I like

sounds like we are all at the dreaded after stage but we are here. soon life will be much better. Just hang in there and try to remember what was the main reason you decided to do this? keep a focus on that positive result.

Has anyone noticed how many food commercials there are on TV?

That's when I really want to scream!

LOL

I could eat 5 bowls right now!!

Good news. I just heard back from the nutritionist about my hunger concerns. She said it's perfectly normal not to feel full since liquids do not stay in the pouch. She said i can have 4oz of unsweetened applesauce 2x a day for the duration of my liquid phase. Yay!

@wanna be....my port is at the largest incision site. It's not where I expected it to be either. It is on my right side half way between my right breat and belly button. I'm not really happy that it is there. I thought it would be much lower. I'm worried that as I lose weight, you will be able to see it since there is less fat there than the lower belly area. Now at 3 weeks out, if I push in on the area, I can feel it. Ewww....weird!!

I have been reading that lots of people are feeling pain at or near their Port (as far as 2 months out) - the problem I have is I don't know where my port is ... I feel the extact same pain that you describe at the largest incision located about 2 inches right above my belly button. Can this be the location of my port? (I thought that most ports are located on the left hand side below the belly button). Just wondering if the placement of the port is dependant on Doctors preference.

Jason,

You've been through a lot! I've never heard the 6 month rule - my doctor does first fill at 6 weeks.

Hang in there, and keep us posted on how you're doing, OK? there's lots of folks dealing with issues, sucesses, questions and suggestions on this forum. I know I've learned a lot.

I was banded Sept. 19 and am still in post-op diet and limitations. One thing my doctor has required is that I first get my 64-80 oz. of Water in, get my Protein in, and stay away from carbs - which included the cereals you mentioned. But I've seen other bandsters mention cream of wheat as part of their diet, so this may just be my doctor.

Medical insurance issues can be a real limitation! I'm glad you've found a doctor, gotten it set up and are on your way to success!

Hi Everyone! I'm Jason and I'd like to join the group.

Here's the twist. I was banded in December 2009. Issue is that it was completely devoid of any saline and was never filled until 2 days ago. The surgeon believed waiting 6 months before the first fill and in that time I lost my job and also my insurance.

I'm thankful that I found a new job last summer and I love it, but it's a small company and the insurance covers NOTHING regarding the lap bands, not fills, not the doctor's visit, not even the cup of Water they give you when you walk out the door.

So, I'm finally filled. I have the "big" lap band (14cc's I think) and he put 5.5 cc's in there under a fluroscope. He said with that, I should feel very uncomfortable if I continue to eat like I've been.

2 nights before I went to a Sushi buffet and closed the place down. I've had ZERO restriction and could eat unlimited amounts of anything. Right now I'm on yogurt and pudding and tomorrow I can start with blended stuff. (or just scrambled eggs since there's NO WAY I'm blending food)

Sad thing is that the day of surgery I weiged 290. The post op, mostly liquid and no carb diet brought me down to 251 at my lowest in March 2010.

As of 2 days ago I was 319. That's a gain of 68 pounds since surgery. Needless to say, I'm ashamed. I've been able to save up over the last year and have found a new surgon who will take credit cards so I'm paying for follow up myself. This is motivator #2 or 3 for me.

So for all intents and purposes, it's like I was just banded but worse because I don't remember the protocol very well. I found a new surgeon. I finally have Fluid in my band, and I'm scared to death of what lies ahead. The new sugeon's support groups start up again in 3 weeks so this site is all I've got.

Please adopt me. :)

...and.... if anyone can tell me if oatmeal and or cream of wheat is a "heavy liquid" or a "mushie", that would be awesome.

If anyone has any threads that are favorites, please let me know those too.

I have to succeed. I'm 36 years old, fat, diabetic. have apnea and a 3 year old daughter I want to be around for.

Help....please.

Thanks

Jason

Surgery: Monday, Sept. 19

I've been a part of the Pre-Op September Bandsters, but found out today that there is a Post-Op September Bandsters!

My doctor said I could do the pureed or liquid diet until I see him this week. I find that the pureed makes me feel so full, and seems to cause more GI issues, so I'm back on total liquids again.

I ended up at my doctor's on Friday for a urinary tract infection, so now I'm on antibiotics. I seem to have developed a diarhhea problem since then and that is keeping me close to home, for sure!

I can't have dairy [pre-surgery issue], so the yogurt and easy to obtain Protein drinks are out for me. I'm primarily on Isopure Zero Carb for Protein Drinks. I don't really feel hungry, but I know I have to get in my liquids and Protein, so I do make myself drink, slowly!

Probably my biggest issue is that of walking! Staying close to a bathroom is necessary and it is raining and cold her for the next three days. I'm not driving yet, so going to a mall isn't an option yet. I just pace around in the house several times. Very boring!

Healing takes time - I have to keep reminding myself of this truth! Patience, rest and not getting too involved in activities has to be a high priority. I know I've lost weight - but it seems to flucuate right now from day to day - I assume due to retaining fluids and gas? When I have my 1 week check up I'll see what the doctor's scales say.

I know that this time of post-surgery is NOT the norm for the next couple of years! I am ready and keep reminding myself: I'm on my way to better health and a size 12!

Sheesh! I think I need to give my nutritionist a call then, I could use a little extra now and again myself.

I could eat 5 bowls right now!!

Good news. I just heard back from the nutritionist about my hunger concerns. She said it's perfectly normal not to feel full since liquids do not stay in the pouch. She said i can have 4oz of unsweetened applesauce 2x a day for the duration of my liquid phase. Yay!

Sheesh! I think I need to give my nutritionist a call then, I could use a little extra now and again myself.

Yeah, the applesauce definately hits the spot. I only really need like 2 spoonfuls and i'm satisfied.

I was banded on 9/12 in NYC and feel fantastic! I've lost 10 lbs since surgery and 15 since the beginning of my pre-op diet, and almost 30 since my high point last January. Very little pain, and no gas problems after the first five days. I haven't had enough courage to tell most of my friends (I guess part of me thinks I should be able to loose weight on my own) but my friends are beginning to notice. YAH!! At my first post op checkup, the nutritionist was a little concerned that I was loosing too quickly, but I've slowed down in the last few days, even though I was still in the liquid phase and eating exactly the same every day. Just goes to show you that weight loss isn't a straight line. She suggested one to two pounds a week was a healthy weight loss rate.

Just started the "mushies" stage, and spent most of the weekend cooking. (I love to cook!) I made two Soups, a hearty lentil, and potato/leek -- both vegetarian and with little fat. I pureed them both and packaged in individual serving portions and froze them. I also made a vegetarian chili (with kidney and black beans) in my slow cooker, and steamed cauliflower. As above, I pureed them both. At a great middle eastern deli near me, I bought some hummus, babaganoush, and tuna fish salad made with lofat mayo. I also bought some fat-free greek yogurt, lo-fat cottage cheese, and two baby cereals for Breakfast. I'm well stocked!

After weighing myself daily during the first 14 days of the post-op liquid diet and seeing my weight go up and down, I've decided to weigh myself once a week from here on. Don't want to drive myself crazy, and begin to build a better relationship with both the scale and with food.

My main food issue has always been Portion Control, as I generally eat pretty healthy. So far, the band has really cut my appetite, and I really hope this lasts.

I think I can do this! Onwards and upward! Or I should say, onward and downward!rolleyes.gif

Best,

Lisa in NYC

Best of luck! I'm sure everything will go well!

im getting the band on sept 29th and cant wait !! ive been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and lost 12 pds so far :)

weight.png

Banded on Sept 13 - I go to my 2 week post op on Wednesday to get the staples out. Been only on Protein drinks since leaving the hospital. My hospital stay was 3 full days and 2 nights. I had a haital hernia repaired during lap band surgery. I have had a lot of pain. Now I have tolerated pain in my tummy near the port.

Nice to meet everyone on here!!!

Hi All,

I am new to this website so I am still getting use to how it works. I am 3 weeks post op. I was banded on 9/7. Everything went great and I feel great.

My only concern it the weight loss. I lost 13 lbs on the pre op liquid diet and only 7 lbs since surgery. I have not lost any weight in the last week and a

half. Don't know what I am doing wrong???? I am eating all the Proteins, but having a problem with 64 oz of Water. Could that be the answer?? Water.< /p>

Weight loss is not a straight line!!!!! .

My doctor told me that it is not unusual to gain, or not loose more right after surgery. Your body is healing.

Keep moving ahead and stop worrying about the number on a scale. If you are doing the right things, you will loose weight over the long term

Lisa in NYC

Hi All,

I am new to this website so I am still getting use to how it works. I am 3 weeks post op. I was banded on 9/7. Everything went great and I feel great.

My only concern it the weight loss. I lost 13 lbs on the pre op liquid diet and only 7 lbs since surgery. I have not lost any weight in the last week and a

half. Don't know what I am doing wrong???? I am eating all the Proteins, but having a problem with 64 oz of Water. Could that be the answer?? Water.< /p>

Weight loss is not a straight line!!!!! .

My doctor told me that it is not unusual to gain, or not loose more right after surgery. Your body is healing.

Keep moving ahead and stop worrying about the number on a scale. If you are doing the right things, you will loose weight over the long term

Lisa in NYC

Well said. I have my first post op appt on Thursday, and I'm too afraid to check the scale. For me, I know I can lose weight, I've lost as much as 140lbs on weight watchers, but can't keep it off. One thing I have learned is that when I starve myself, my body fights back at me by gaining weight. I've always been more successful losing weight the "right way" - slowly while eating a balanced diet. I will not be surprised to go to my appt on Thursday to find that I've either maintained or gained weight in my two weeks post op. Sure I won't be happy about it, but when I do start eating better, I know it will drop.

I'm doing this so I can lose weight for the LAST time. If it takes a couple of years to get there, I'm ok with that. I'm short, so my goal is to get into a size 8, but I'll feel a lot better about myself and my journey when I hit the size 14 - 16 mark!

Congrats Ms. Garfield 36 in 3 weeks and 3 days. I am not mad. I need to get some lower carb Protein Drinks. What do you suggest? I am down 20 pounds post op and pro op diet.

Thanks and it was in five weeks I started to condition my body on aug. 16 I had to know I could make a long term commitment before I had surgery. I changed my eating habits because I chose life over death. I didn't have major health issues but I would have if I didn't change. The most important thing is I started to walk. So my answer to your question is to keep doing what you are doing it's working fir you!!!! Everyone is different. I'm not forcing all the Protein and liquids my body can't tolerate it I drink alot of Water and consume very little calories. And I'm walking some and riding a stationary bike some. But remember a little movement is better than non but listen to your body!!!!! Sound like you are doing wonderful. Think I must make the things I do apart of my life. It's a life time change. Be Blessed and encouraged.