Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reddirt, i woke up in recovery with shoulder pain. It comes and goes but today it has stayed all day. Laying in bed on my right side helps. Alsp lifting my shoulder above my head helps too. Other than that i have just had to de with it.

J

I didn't have shoulder pain until the morning of day 5 and have had it for the past few days as well. Thought i'd slept wrong but realized it was the gas pain that everyone here keeps talking about. It does subside a bit and then comes back.

I am dealing with the shoulder pain as well. It comes and goes and at first I thought they must have aggravated my herniated C6 disc during surgery or lifting me to the stretcher or something. After reading here it seems that this a common occurance and will just go away with time. Just to check, is anyone else having pain in their upper arm as well? My shoulder and arm hurt to a point where I have to prop a folded bed pillow under it to get some relief at times.

Oh Gosh, why did i read some of the other topics talking about getting stuck, PB'ing and all that. Now i really feel as if i've made a huge mistake. I'm not sure i can handle this........wish i can go back in time............

SDbandit, thank you for the words of encouragement. It's usually after i feed them dinner when i leave the kitchen and have my regrets on doing the surgery. By then i'm hungry even while having a Soup or something. So, being hungry, not being able to eat anything, and having to stick with the Protein drinks that i don't like, is quite depressing. What can i say? I then go to bed practically panicking about not being able to do this. I never let myself get hungry before this, so these hunger pangs are quite annoying, uncomfortable, and depressing.

Sent an email to the nutritionist to see if there is anything else i can do. Bet you she'll just tell me to add another shake when i get hungry.......yuck.

On a positive note, i am now trying a shake recipe that i actually enjoy. It's got 1 scoop of vanilla Protein Powder, 1 cup orange juice, a few spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt, and 4 frozen strawberries. I don't taste that awful vanilla powder at all. The strong tastes in this shake is the juice and the strawberries.

Are you on a clear liquid or full liquid right now? I am a lot less frustrated since I have more options being on the full liquid. I have my 2 week post op tomorrow and I am hoping they advance my diet so I can have more variety, we will see :). You just have to remember this period is only for a short time. My friend was banded 2 years ago and she kept reminding me of that too, it is only a short period of time that seems like it will be forever till we can eat regular food.

I'm on full liquids for another week. Yes, it's defiantely better than Clear Liquids....in comparison.

You try to stay low carb, are you eating regular food just one week past your surgery? My diet is entirely whey Protein isolate Protein Drinks, about 5 a day, lots of Water, one broth... and a lot of liquid Vitamin supplements.< /p>

No I'm not eating anything probaly take in next to nothing but what I do take in is low carb such as powered zero, broth, Water no sugar intack my Protein supplements are the lowest in carbs I can find. I am 10 days post op and have lost a total of 36 pounds including my pre op diet weight loss.

No I'm not eating anything probaly take in next to nothing but what I do take in is low carb such as powered zero, broth, Water no sugar intack my Protein supplements are the lowest in carbs I can find. I am 10 days post op and have lost a total of 36 pounds including my pre op diet weight loss.

Congrats Ms. Garfield 36 in 3 weeks and 3 days. I am not mad. I need to get some lower carb Protein drinks. What do you suggest? I am down 20 pounds post op and pro op diet.

sounds like we are all at the dreaded after stage but we are here. soon life will be much better. Just hang in there and try to remember what was the main reason you decided to do this? keep a focus on that positive result.

Has anyone noticed how many food commercials there are on TV?

That's when I really want to scream!

LOL

Yep, sitting here drinking my Protein Shake while watching those commercials! Damn, even baked Beans look good to me now!

I myself haven't suffered any shoulder pain, but then I'm the type of guy who works at bringing up gas at either end :-)

What kind of food are you eating at only 4 days post op? I must have a 'cruel' weight loss surgical /maintenance team, I'm not to have any soft foods for 3 weeks after surgery, and no solids for 6 weeks after surgery. I'm told to just consume Protein drinks the first 3 weeks.

So I spoke to soon... I have had no shoulder pain till today. I am 4 days post op. It seems worse after I eat. Is that strange? I faintly remember the nurse telling my friend in the recovery room if you get shoulder pain it is usually pretty quick after surgery... Maybe I am the odd ball that way?anyone else not have it till several days out?

Oh, I am so sorry for you! That is so sad... anyway that someone else can do the food preparation? :-( Some other alternative for them? Maybe if you asked your doctor if you could 'sneak' like some nice creamy Soup, something that's a little closer to 'regular' food?

I got banded on the 19th as well and i've had those 'breakdowns' quite often. I think my problem is that being on this liquid diet is extremely difficult. Not only does it not fill me up, (my stomach keeps growling) but i get depressed when i have to prepare meals for my family and can't eat the foods! I then keep asking myself 'what have i done????' but being on this site has helped me see so many others having done the same thing and surviving.

Wow! awesome job! And that weight will *never* come back! :-)

Yep, sitting here drinking my Protein shake while watching those commercials! Damn, even baked Beans look good to me now!

Haha, I am craving refried Beans, lol. Who just sits and eats a bowl of refried beans? I could about now :)

At 4 days I was allowed to go from Clear liquids to full liquids which meant adding Protein shakes to my clear regimen.

At 7 days (this last weekend, I was allowed to add soft food - scrambled eggs, crumbled beef, very moist chicken, fish, etc and soft green vegetables (low carb - green Beans, etc.. All I've had the nerve to try is scrambled eggs and very finely ground beef. I'm thinking tonight I might try some baked fish.........

After 10 days like this I can go to full food, but of course staying low carb..........

3 meals a day and no Snacks.

I myself haven't suffered any shoulder pain, but then I'm the type of guy who works at bringing up gas at either end :-)

What kind of food are you eating at only 4 days post op? I must have a 'cruel' weight loss surgical /maintenance team, I'm not to have any soft foods for 3 weeks after surgery, and no solids for 6 weeks after surgery. I'm told to just consume Protein drinks the first 3 weeks.