Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I was banded on 9/1 and I still get those muscular feeling pains where the port is. I feel it especially when I have been sitting for a long time and then stand up. It takes a few minutes to straighten up. I'm hoping that this is normal at 3 weeks out. Anyone else have this happen? I never really had any severe pain and I never had to take any pain meds, so still having these uncomfortable episodes now is a bit worrysome.

Thanks all....

Hi Guys,

I got my lap band on Sept 15 - I felt great up to now ... however last night I started feeling muscular type pains in my stomach (at the top center incision area) everytime I move - this may have been caused from me moving too quickly. I am wondering if anyone has felt similar type pains.

I have been reading that lots of people are feeling pain at or near their Port (as far as 2 months out) - the problem I have is I don't know where my port is ... I feel the extact same pain that you describe at the largest incision located about 2 inches right above my belly button. Can this be the location of my port? (I thought that most ports are located on the left hand side below the belly button). Just wondering if the placement of the port is dependant on Doctors preference.

Hi,

I was banded on 9/1 and I still get those muscular feeling pains where the port is. I feel it especially when I have been sitting for a long time and then stand up. It takes a few minutes to straighten up. I'm hoping that this is normal at 3 weeks out. Anyone else have this happen? I never really had any severe pain and I never had to take any pain meds, so still having these uncomfortable episodes now is a bit worrysome.

Thanks all....

I have been reading that lots of people are feeling pain at or near their Port (as far as 2 months out) - the problem I have is I don't know where my port is ... I feel the extact same pain that you describe at the largest incision located about 2 inches right above my belly button. Can this be the location of my port? (I thought that most ports are located on the left hand side below the belly button). Just wondering if the placement of the port is dependant on Doctors preference.

It must be surgeon's preference. From what I've read here, I'm the only one who has the port on the left side.

That shoulder pain is gas from where the distended your stomach. I took good warm showers and kind of rotated my shoulder but the only true fix is time. I didn't want to believe that gas was trapped under my shoulder but it was true. Sorry about your pain. Give it a few more days.

My port is on the left too. Maybe it depends on the handedness of the surgeon?

All I can say is that you are not alone. I am feeling the same way and have no idea what to do.

Hey Guys,

We are now 1 week post op ... my diet consists of Soups, jell-o and liquid Protein ... approx. 1000 cals per day ... but today I am feeling hungry ... I don't know how I am gonna stay on liquids for another 2 weeks. I am wondering how you guys are doing... any words of wisdom .. do you guys have a secret to control your appetite? Thanks for all your feed back

Jason,

Keep your chin up. I am almost two weeks post op and know you have found a good place here. Do not feel ashamed at all. I have been there...I am still there.

You try to stay low carb, are you eating regular food just one week past your surgery? My diet is entirely whey Protein isolate Protein Drinks, about 5 a day, lots of Water, one broth... and a lot of liquid Vitamin supplements.< /p>

Hello and congratulations on you success. I was banded on 9-16. I am not staying hungry but I try to stay low carb this helps with hunger I drink Powerade zero little flavor but no sugar so it helps with calories. I do know that crystal light has a drink called hunger satisfaction that really helped me before surgery. Taste pretty good too. I found it in the local grocery store with the other sugarless drink mix. I hope this will help you and you can continue to be encouraged.

Hello everyone, my surgery was Tuesday morning, Sep 20th. I was on a two week high Protein, low carb diet before the surgery (it was pretty much Atkins diet) and the day before surgery I had nothing to eat at all, just low calorie juices.

Every day I feel better; so far, today, the only pain med I took was Tylenol, and that was more for a little headache. Since the morning before surgery, I've currently lost 7 pounds, and I lost about 6 pounds before surgery, so I'm quite happy with my progress. I consume about 5 high Protein drinks (whey protein isolate mixes with nonfat milk) and try to sip Water all day. I have a chicken broth too... I get hunger pangs now, and am dying for turkey slice and soft cheese... soon enough, though.

The only negative so far is that my voice is quite hoarse. I've read that it's not uncommon, and it's due to the intubation tube. The first 24 hours after surgery, my throat hurt as much as my stomach did.

I'm walking nearly every day; today I had my longest walk so far of 25 minutes. Seems that my back hurts for some reason, and that's keeping me from going longer. I'm taking it easy, and I know this is a rest of my life condition. Where I was before surgery was a road to nowhere, and I got sick of my declining health and fitness level keeping me from enjoying life like I used to!

So I spoke to soon... I have had no shoulder pain till today. I am 4 days post op. It seems worse after I eat. Is that strange? I faintly remember the nurse telling my friend in the recovery room if you get shoulder pain it is usually pretty quick after surgery... Maybe I am the odd ball that way?anyone else not have it till several days out?

I ordered some new Protein mix which can not get hear fast enough. I tried food since I felt no surgurcal pain and it went down fine. I can drink all the Water I want and feel no pain. Just going to go back to liquids and ask my doctor for a direction

I got banded on the 19th. The only pain I have is around the area of the port. And like yours, my pain comes around when I make a sudden or fast move. I am not hungry, but I know I have to take in liquids. I'm still really light-headed, but with this having been my first medical procedure, I kind of expected that it would take me a while to recover.

I had my first "what-have-I-done" breakdown last night. I was just sitting on the sofa with my hubby and I started crying uncontrollably. It's wasn't at anything in particular. I guess the reality of everything hit me at that moment. I know it won't be my last breakdown and I just have to work through it.

Anyone else have a breakdown this early after surgery?

I got banded on the 19th as well and i've had those 'breakdowns' quite often. I think my problem is that being on this liquid diet is extremely difficult. Not only does it not fill me up, (my stomach keeps growling) but i get depressed when i have to prepare meals for my family and can't eat the foods! I then keep asking myself 'what have i done????' but being on this site has helped me see so many others having done the same thing and surviving.

I got banded on the 19th as well and i've had those 'breakdowns' quite often. I think my problem is that being on this liquid diet is extremely difficult. Not only does it not fill me up, (my stomach keeps growling) but i get depressed when i have to prepare meals for my family and can't eat the foods! I then keep asking myself 'what have i done????' but being on this site has helped me see so many others having done the same thing and surviving.

I agree with you on how hard it is preparing meals for the family and not being able to enjoy it too. I would be a lot happier mommy if I could just serve them a Protein shake for dinner too, lol. I think it will get better once we are transitioned back to regular food :) Keep your head up!

Reddirt, i woke up in recovery with shoulder pain. It comes and goes but today it has stayed all day. Laying in bed on my right side helps. Alsp lifting my shoulder above my head helps too. Other than that i have just had to de with it.

J

SDbandit, thank you for the words of encouragement. It's usually after i feed them dinner when i leave the kitchen and have my regrets on doing the surgery. By then i'm hungry even while having a Soup or something. So, being hungry, not being able to eat anything, and having to stick with the Protein drinks that i don't like, is quite depressing. What can i say? I then go to bed practically panicking about not being able to do this. I never let myself get hungry before this, so these hunger pangs are quite annoying, uncomfortable, and depressing.

Sent an email to the nutritionist to see if there is anything else i can do. Bet you she'll just tell me to add another shake when i get hungry.......yuck.

On a positive note, i am now trying a shake recipe that i actually enjoy. It's got 1 scoop of vanilla Protein powder, 1 cup orange juice, a few spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt, and 4 frozen strawberries. I don't taste that awful vanilla powder at all. The strong tastes in this shake is the juice and the strawberries.