Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Bandsters!!!

Congrats to all of you that were banded this week - I appreciate all of you sharing your stories and words of encouragement. Feel good!! Counting down to 10/14.

Hi Cindy! I am also a Brooklynite, so I was banded at NYU on 9/19. I was SO afraid before, and now all my fears seem so funny . No pain, no hassle, no gas, no nausea. Now after18 days, I feel as if I did not have anything at all. Just 1 inch pencil line on my belly.

Service there was so good ! . Probably it was some morphine they gave me, but I really did not want to go home.:D

I can't boast that I have lost a lot- only 11,5 lbs after surgery, and 29,5 total. But, honestly, was not even so strict with the diets ( pre-and post-op). I know - it's a sin, but could not stop experimenting.

SO GOOD LUCK TO YOU. I DON'T KNOW HOW THE WEIGHT WILL BE GOING DOWN, BUT SO FAR IT WAS SO EASY !!

Tomorrow begins my countdown. I begin my pre-opt liquid diet. It is one of the stricter diets. But I am going to stick it out. Starting to feel nervous about the surgery. Glad I have this forum to answer my questions and keep my company.

As I mentioned in prev. post- I had it done by Dr. Ren on 9/19, same practice as Dr. Kurian, all- the same.

All goes so smoothly there- don't be nervous. Actually my own nervousness was the worst part of the whole thing.

I was not such a good girl, and was cheating both with pre-op and post-op diets ( just a little bit). I bet everyone does it if he/she can.

You come to NYU, wait, then nurse screens you, then you wait a bit again. After that they take you in the pre-op room, you dress (actually undress) and talk to the surgeon and to anastesiologist. They allow your relatives to be with you toill the moment they take you in the OR, then they can come in the recovery room.

By the way- on the instruction they advise you to take robe , pijamas and sleepers - don't bother. I bought sleepers, expensive beautiful robe and pijamas of Gargantua's size. All was brought back unopened. They give you gowns of really huge size, socks, all you need and bag to carry it. Do not take anything with you- you will not need it- even toothbrush.

You walk to the operating room and climb on that table yourself ( which looked weird to me, as I was shaking as a sheep's tail).

Anastesiologists make sure your sholders and head are in good position. May be that's why I never experienced any neck/ back pains many complain off.

Then they put in the needle, you look at the wall clock.

Next you see- the wall clock, only 1 hour later.

I had little difficulty breathing - it was kind of shallow, and scared me, but they gave me the oxygen, and in few minutes I felt as if my lungs are opening- and the great releif .

That was one of the best moments for me when I realized- I finally did it, all was behind, and NO PAIN !!!

In recovery the nurse watches you constantly, gives you Heparin, painkiller, etc other shots. I am not even sure I needed that painkiller, but it made me feel more comfortable.

I stayed overnight because I had sleep apnea- no problems at all - nice room with the panoramic window facing Hudson River. Never had any gas pains, nausea. You may call it light discomfort, as if you pulled the muscle, or had bruise on your stomach. It was so light, that I can't remember now.

Next morning they discharge you, and you go home. Nothing unpleasant happened at home as well. Had some broth, some propel, did not feel any restriction. The first few days you just don't want to eat... But then...( the story will continue):D

That's it.

GOOD LUCK

Hi,

My surgery darte is October 19th, 2011. I am excited as well as nervous. Finding it hard toget these protien shakes down but I keep on drinking them.

Glad to hear everyone doing so well. I get banded Monday morning. I can't wait. I'm so excited to get this part past me and start my journey. I hope my recovery goes just as well as all of you. I have really been second guessing myself about this the past couple days, but I think it's just nerves and jitters. I'm going to ignore them and press on....

Anyone else have second thoughts this close to surgery??

Yes, I have them almost everyday and I am having my surgery Oct 19.

Hi,

My surgery darte is October 19th, 2011. I am excited as well as nervous. Finding it hard toget these protien shakes down but I keep on drinking them.

Hi Skinny,

I can't boast of being too consistent with both diets, but my nutrutionist said that Boost shakes ( over the counter everywhere) is good.

I would put the bottle in the freezer, and then scoop it out with a narrow spoon as an ice-cream, or wait till it softens a little and then-as a frozen smoothie

Hello October Bandsters!!!

I went today for my pre-op visit and to see the surgeon one last time before surgery. I'm scheduled for October 14th at 11am. I will be the 3rd surgery of the day. In exactly 7days, I will officially be welcomed into Band-Land. I'm so nervously excited. I started my pre-op 10day Atkins diet on Oct 2nd (this past Sunday) and I have lost 6.2#'s this week already... Yay!!! I really hope and pray for everyone to have a successful surgery and quick recovery. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's stories and glad to see everyone who has been banded is doing pretty well thus far. I cant wait to join you guys next week. Just remember... "We may not be there yet, but we are so much more closer today than we were yesterday!!!" Good Luck everyone!!! biggrin.gif

I am on day 4 of the liquid diet post-op. It sucks! I just wanna cheew something. Anyone else out there in the same boat?

My surgery is scheduled for October 28. I start the preop diet on October 14.

I need to add one of those cool weight tracking signatures. I'm excited and a little scared.

I don't think I'll have too many issues with the gas pains. I have had laparoscopic surgery to remove endometriosis three times and the gas was tolerable, especially with a heating pad my left shoulder the first few days.

Good luck and fast recoveries to all of the October bandsters.

I am on day 4 of the liquid diet post-op. It sucks! I just wanna cheew something. Anyone else out there in the same boat?

The preop diet was very hard for me also. I did cheat once and eat a small hamburger and I really regret it. The postop diet is much easier (banded on Monday) so far. Hang in there because you can do it! Don't let yourself down like I did.

Anyone gettin Banded on Halloween ?

That's when I was Banded. Had the Best Care then...

It was SPOOKTACULAR!

Hello Everyone, I am super excited my surgery date is October 28th. Although I am not too thrilled about this pre op diet I have to do. Obviously I have failed numerous times at diets so I sure to heck hope I can succeed at this one. I just have to think of the prize at the end of the tunnel. Well good luck to everyone and I hope we all stay safe during our journey!

Welcome Aboard!

Shirley...

Hello everybody! I guess I get to be part of this "club" biggrin.gif!! My surgery date is 10/21, which is also my birthday! A great way to start my 39th year . . . . don't ya say?! I'm so glad to have a group like this to get encouragement, so far most of my friends and family are not supportive! My hubs is amazing and best friend super, but everyone else thinks it's a short cut! Anyway, I found out today that I am to start my pre-op diet on Tuesday. They have me doing 10 days of phase 1 South Beach. I'm nervous and excited that it's finally here!!

alrighty tighty peeps 9 hours and counting until they cut me!!!! LOL

Felt a bit of a nervous moment earlier tonight but I am excited!!!!! I've had surgery before but not so life altering...... I'm packed and ready to go... getting up at 5:45 am so I can check in at 7:45am.... only a few hours left until the rest of my life =D

WISH ME LUCK!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Best wishes for a speedy and easy recovery. See you on the other side.

Glad to hear everyone doing so well. I get banded Monday morning. I can't wait. I'm so excited to get this part past me and start my journey. I hope my recovery goes just as well as all of you. I have really been second guessing myself about this the past couple days, but I think it's just nerves and jitters. I'm going to ignore them and press on....

Anyone else have second thoughts this close to surgery??

I've had second thoughts. I started crying uncontrollably today and told my husband I changed my mind. I think I was just very, very hungry.