Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decisions

I'm in the research stage and have my appointment on the 20th of this month. From the research I've done, I'm getting the impression that if I only want to lose 40-50 pounds, I should get the lap band. Out of all the things I've read, it seems that the people that have gotten the gastric bypass are losing 100+ pounds. Is this right? Are there any recommendations that anyone can give me? I'm just trying to get my questions together so when I have my appointment, I'll be prepared. I don't want there to be such a drastic weight loss that I look ill or unhealthy. I'm also worried about all the things people are saying about the Vitamin deficiency they are encountering. Thank you for helping and not making me feel stupid for asking questions! :rolleyes:

I also forgot to mention that the other thing I'm worried about with the lap band is that I'll spend a lot of time back and forth to the dr for fills, band being too tight, not being able to get things down, etc....It just seems that everything I read about is people going back and forth to the dr. My job is very demanding and i travel a lot. I'm not in town to just run to the dr office. I'm concerned about being out of town and needing my dr. Are gastric bypasses less maintenance?

yes you can lose alot and sometimes more with gastic bypass, but you will have what is called dumping syndrome, basically as soon as you eat, you go take a dump. i didn't want to deal with that personally or professionally. i have two friends who have had the bypass done, and both gained the weight back in 3 years. they lost dramatically and gained it back because they thought they could eat whatever they wanted too. It is a tool to use and alot of people abuse it, the bypass and the band. One of my friends had her's redone last year and again has lost over 100 lbs but has very saggy skin from the fast loss.

I had my band done in april and i have yet to go back in for an unfill. i get my fills every 4 weeks and my doctor is 40 minutes away, but his nurse is very careful at how much they put in each time. i am also extremely careful about what i eat, had a vomiting episode, won't do that again. It is a tool and you have to work with it, it will not do the work for you. there are people who have lost 150+ lbs with the band and kept it off. it does not work for every one. some have complications. i sat down and wrote the good and bad of the band, bypass and staying fat. the band won :)

it is one leg of a 3 legged stool, diet and exercise are the other 2 legs.

I also forgot to mention that the other thing I'm worried about with the lap band is that I'll spend a lot of time back and forth to the dr for fills, band being too tight, not being able to get things down, etc....It just seems that everything I read about is people going back and forth to the dr. My job is very demanding and i travel a lot. I'm not in town to just run to the dr office. I'm concerned about being out of town and needing my dr. Are gastric bypasses less maintenance?

Once you would get to your proper fill level, you shouldn't have to get fills that often at all. I've been at my fill level for 1 1/2 years, with the exception of a little tight episode where I had some put in and the same amount taken out. I plan on going annually to my doc to get a flouro and get my band checked and get a touch of a fill if needed. But I haven't needed it yet. What I found out with myself is I feel like I have a bit better control over food. Not to say I'm totally cured of my food issues if I would have complications with the band. Just saying it's much easier now than a year ago mentally in my relationship with food. In my opinion with gastric bypass, you lose the weight quickly and MAY have dumping syndrome (some don't), but there is a honeymoon period of about 18 months where you will lose weight without adjusting your eating patterns per se. And if you haven't learned to adjust your eating habits and eat healthier, better foods there is a great chance you will gain back the weight if you aren't doing your part. It is also strongly suggested that you use supplements for the rest of your life due to the malabsorption inherent with bypass surgery.

With lap band, the weight loss is slower since after you get surgery, you are not at your proper fill level. It may take 5-6 fills to get to the "green zone", but once you find the ideal spot for you, the weight loss should be easier with less hunger. With a slower weight loss, I believe you have a less likely chance of having skin issues. There are ways to "eat around the band" (shakes, junk food that goes down easily, high caloric drinks, etc.). But if you follow your doctors guidelines, you should do just fine. I've lost quite a bit of weight with the lap band and it was a journey. But I think it was the best way to go and gave me the time to get my "head in the game" as far as food goes. Exercise is absolutely the key to getting it off and keeping it off and that comes easier as you lose the weight.

Do whatever feels the most right for you. There are also a few others you may consider. Plication, duodenal switch, band over plication, etc. I did the only one I would even consider at the time and it has served me well.

I have had my band for almost 11 weeks and have already lost almost 50 pounds and plan on losing a lot more. I have also only been to my doctor's 3 times since the surgery. I do not know much about the gastric bypass surgery, but wanted to give you an idea of how I am doing with the band because I do not think it is as much work as you think it is and I am very happy with my results so far!

You do not get dumping syndrome from the bypass every time you eat its only when you eat sugar and carbs like bread, who told you that. 40% of body weight is normal for the band but it doesnt mean you can lose more. You can lose more but you have to work at it.

I have had my band for almost 11 weeks and have already lost almost 50 pounds and plan on losing a lot more. I have also only been to my doctor's 3 times since the surgery. I do not know much about the gastric bypass surgery, but wanted to give you an idea of how I am doing with the band because I do not think it is as much work as you think it is and I am very happy with my results so far!

WOW!!! 50 pounds in 11 weeks....that's great!

Don't believe the horror stories. You can lose just as much with lapband as you can with GB and have a better chance of keeping it off. I lost 115 the first year and a total of almost 150 in 3 years. I can guarantee you I won't be regaining. You only need to go to the doctor about once a month for fills in the beginning. I've been at the same level since April. Yes, there will be times when you might be too tight and need to go get a little taken out but, in time, you will know exactly how much is going to be too much.

Maintenance on my band is so low it's a joke. My doc has to call me and basically tell me it's time to come in for a checkup. For the first few months, I was required to go back once a month just for general checkups and see how I was doing. I really wouldn't worry about having to be at the doctor's office too frequently.

I have not had an unfill due to being to tight and I am a year out. My doctor's office is somewhat concervative in fills as they prefer you go slow then have you be too tight. I have only had a couple stuck incidents and that was from raw carrots; so perhaps my own fault. I have not a slimming incident either (knock on wood). I went for a fill about every 3 weeks for the first 7 months. I have not had a fill in the last 4 months.