Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is very standard. Speaking in general terms... Most likely they will do heavy sedation...

Thanks for the explanation. It makes me feel better. I'm not having any regrets about the decision, and am really anxious to get this over with and leave these Protein Shakes in my past. I think it was all at once finding out that there was something that was unknown to me. I'm sure I had it for both my gallbladder and hysterectomy, and never knew about it. It never bothered me then - so I sure as heck am not going to let it stop me now! And I guess I'll let the anesthesiologist or crna make the call on what they are most comfortable with. They certainly know more than I do!

I don't ever remember feeling weird from the happy juice - I just was talking one minute and out half way through a sentence! I do feel incredibly groggy upon waking up, it seemed to take a long time. When I had my gallbladder out, they wheeled me back to the room, and helped me get up to go to the bathroom, and they wanted me to get dressed and go home that quickly. I remember thinking are they kidding me? I couldn't get dressed if I wanted to! When I had bunion surgery, they just gave me propofol - and they did succeed in getting me out of there as soon as I woke up from that!

Thank you RedDirtRN for the very informative post.

I am officially a BANDSTER!! :) My surgery was yesterday. I got to the hospital at 12:30 p.m. and went under around 3 p.m. I spent the night in the hospital.

I am sore today but the Tylenol with codeine is helping and I have my heating pad on. The nausea after the anesthesia was nothing nice but they gave me medicine for that through my iv twice and some morphin once. I was nauseas everytime I stood up to go to the bathroom and one time I dry heaved so bad and it killed my stomach!! I think that was the worst of my experience.

No issues today except the soreness. When I left the hospital me and my Mom went to a few stores and I was fine. I have been sipping and sipping and I just had a no sugar added fudgescicle and it was YUMMY and felt good on my sore throat. Guess my throat is sore from whatever tube they had stuck down there.

All in all I have no complaints and everything went well. I am so glad it's over and I am ready to start my new life!

Are you the operating nurse ?

No. My back ground is ER and trauma. I did 2 years in hospice/palliative care. More recently I started to work in Organ Donation. With it we take the referrals of patients who meet certain criteria and then we evaluate to see if they meet our standards for donation. Then if the patient progresses to brain death or family decides to withdraw care we then approach the family about organ donation. Then we work the patient up and place organs with receipants according to the "list.". Then we go to the OR where we recover the organs and get them to the receipants. It is a very rewarding job being able to help families have something positive come from something bad. So that being said....

TALK TO YOUR FAMILY ABOUT BEING AN ORGAN AnD TISSUE DONOR.

REGISTER TO BE A DONOR....

Www.donatelife.com

:-)

No. My back ground is ER and trauma. I did 2 years in hospice/palliative care. More recently I started to work in Organ Donation. With it we take the referrals of patients who meet certain criteria and then we evaluate to see if they meet our standards for donation. Then if the patient progresses to brain death or family decides to withdraw care we then approach the family about organ donation. Then we work the patient up and place organs with receipants according to the "list.". Then we go to the OR where we recover the organs and get them to the receipants. It is a very rewarding job being able to help families have something positive come from something bad. So that being said....

TALK TO YOUR FAMILY ABOUT BEING AN ORGAN AnD TISSUE DONOR.

REGISTER TO BE A DONOR....

Www.donatelife.com

:-)

Very impressive. I'm sure you worked hard to be able to do this. I thank god every day for people like you, cause I could not do it. I worked as a ccna through college, and it was too gruesome for me. I stayed mostly watching the monitors, because I would get depressed for days when I had to work with patients.

My aunt and former sister-in-law both have doctorates in nursing. My Aunt taught clinical pediatric nursing in Pittsburgh Pa. My former sister-in-law is an administrator for St. Davids in Austin TX. Both of them are very supportive of my decision to be banded, and are careful not to go into detail about the procedure, as they know my limits!

Ok, I didn't think I was nervous, and thought I understood what was going to happen, but the intubation thing is now scaring me. Is that standard procedure when you have surgery? I've had my gallbaldder removed, and have also had a hysterectomy - and if I was intubated - I did not know it. What's the difference between LMA and an ET tube? What are the side affects/complications of them? Is this something you think we all should be asking for? I'm a bit of a control freak, and would appreciate any info you can give me on this subject!

My day is Thursday - and let me tell you, if I never see another shake after tomorrow it will be too soon! I don't care how hungry I am, at this point I'd rather be hungry than have another shake!

My dr. told me any surgery in the belly region you are intubated. I was banded yesterday and my sore throat wasn't bad at all. Also, I had my gallbladder out a few years ago and they said I would have been intubated then too so my guess is that you were too :). Since you have had your gallbladder out I am feeling pretty similar to that surgery. Good luck!

I am officially a BANDSTER!! :) My surgery was yesterday. I got to the hospital at 12:30 p.m. and went under around 3 p.m. I spent the night in the hospital.

I am sore today but the Tylenol with codeine is helping and I have my heating pad on. The nausea after the anesthesia was nothing nice but they gave me medicine for that through my iv twice and some morphin once. I was nauseas everytime I stood up to go to the bathroom and one time I dry heaved so bad and it killed my stomach!! I think that was the worst of my experience.

No issues today except the soreness. When I left the hospital me and my Mom went to a few stores and I was fine. I have been sipping and sipping and I just had a no sugar added fudgescicle and it was YUMMY and felt good on my sore throat. Guess my throat is sore from whatever tube they had stuck down there.

All in all I have no complaints and everything went well. I am so glad it's over and I am ready to start my new life!

Mine was yesterday too! I have been pretty nauseas too. Whenever I drink anything I am nauseated but haven't thrown up of dry heaved. They said to listen to my band even though it only has 1.5 cc's fill in it with the swelling it can make me nauseas. Also the lorcet can make me nauseated so I am drinking what I can but not being able to drink a lot for now. COngrats! So glad to be on this side of the process. :)

Sorry off topic but yes please become an organ donor!! My hubby needs a heart at 25!!!

It's so nice to hear that all of you who had surgery already are doing great. I'm anxiously waiting for my surgery on monday.

My surgery date is 9/30. I went to my first support group meeting last night and it was awesome!! I can hardly wait!!!

I will be banded on September 16th =] so very excited!

Has anyone else had to do a laxative the day before surgery? My doctor doesn't demand it but recommends it and being the rule follower I am, I did it. I hope to never have to drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate again. That being said, I am psyched for my surgery tomorrow.

Has anyone else had to do a laxative the day before surgery? My doctor doesn't demand it but recommends it and being the rule follower I am, I did it. I hope to never have to drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate again. That being said, I am psyched for my surgery tomorrow.

Try Miralax next time. Not near as rough! Can take it daily too!

That was my thoughts too! And i want to know drugs too. Just thecontrol freak in me. So that explains the FFPM? you a firefighter/ paramedic? What service are you with? I am in the DFW Texas area.

I am a firefighter/paramedic for a northern suburb of Chicago

Ok, I didn't think I was nervous, and thought I understood what was going to happen, but the intubation thing is now scaring me. Is that standard procedure when you have surgery? I've had my gallbaldder removed, and have also had a hysterectomy - and if I was intubated - I did not know it. What's the difference between LMA and an ET tube? What are the side affects/complications of them? Is this something you think we all should be asking for? I'm a bit of a control freak, and would appreciate any info you can give me on this subject!

My day is Thursday - and let me tell you, if I never see another shake after tomorrow it will be too soon! I don't care how hungry I am, at this point I'd rather be hungry than have another shake!

Intubation (ET tube) is the standard with almost every surgery where you are knocked out. The only complication that I know is a sore throat afterwards.