Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been unable to do just liquids in week 1?

Hello all, I am almost one week post-op, and have been "cheating" by eating pea-sized pieces of Peanut Butter, teaspoons of cottage cheese, sugarfree pudding, applesause, and Tomato Soup in teaspoon-like servings. I have been so hungry, and I hope I;m not doing any damage by doing this, but I just can't get through with liquids alone. I eat these things a few times a day, not continually. I have lost 7 pounds since surgery. I think my doctor would kill me if she knew. Has anyone had a similar post-op experience?

Are you supposed to be having Clear Liquids only? Are you having any Protein Shakes? If you are "starving" you should call your surgeon and ask if you can progress to full liquids. But you should NOT be eating these things without her OK. You probably have stitches around your band that help it to stay in place, and yes, you can damage your stomach by cheating right now. Every surgeon gives different post-op directions but you need to do what your doctor tells you to do. You CAN get through on liquids alone- many, many of us did. Think of how proud of yourself you'd be if you followed all of your surgeon's advice and were able to look back and say "if I can live through this, I can live through anything".

oh gosh.. i think my surgeon spoiled me a little.

I was only on a liquid diet one day prior to the surgery... and was taken off liquid diet after 5 days.

I guess it's different for most, but my surgeon believed that my current age and health meant that I'd be more resilient than most and told me to start doing soft foods at day 6.

But no matter what... you have to take it easy for the first few weeks. The last thing you want is to stress your healing stomach. Laparoscopic surgery is minimally invasive... but it is still invasive.

Good luck to yoU!

I was banded on 6/29. I did clear liquids until I gagged which was until yesterday. I got potatoe Soup and blended the hell out of it and took tiny tiny bites...I felt fine so I put myself to the full liquids. My stomache was getting to the .point where it hurt when it was growling. I listen to my body and how its working. And so far so good! I actually think its made me feel better. I went shopping all morning with a friend with minimal pain or fatigue. But! I am no way shape or form a doctor so don't listen to me,I might be effing up my tummy. However I doubt it. My mom had gastric bypass and didn't have a post op diet. She ate limon chips for a month because it was the only thing that would stay down hahaits been like 7 years and she's alive and kicking!.

I was banded on 6/29. I did clear liquids until I gagged which was until yesterday. I got potatoe Soup and blended the hell out of it and took tiny tiny bites...I felt fine so I put myself to the full liquids. My stomache was getting to the .point where it hurt when it was growling. I listen to my body and how its working. And so far so good! I actually think its made me feel better. I went shopping all morning with a friend with minimal pain or fatigue. But! I am no way shape or form a doctor so don't listen to me,I might be effing up my tummy. However I doubt it. My mom had gastric bypass and didn't have a post op diet. She ate limon chips for a month because it was the only thing that would stay down hahaits been like 7 years and she's alive and kicking!.

NicksWifey, Thank you for sharing this with me, I've been feeling like I am the only person in lap band history who has did not follow doctor's orders to the "T" through the post-op stages, and why am I the only one who couldn't make it through? It's not like I'm making a meal out of those little bits, these are a teaspoon of something maybe twice a day, and liquified everything before swallowing. It definitely made me feel better, no nausea, more energy, like you.

It is very hard to follow docs orders to a T. Trust me I screw up all the time!

I know some people who are eating kimbops ( kind of like sushi) a week after surgery because they are starving and can't do the mushies because they are ready to eat their own arms off.

As for just being banded and eating those things, I don't think it is that bad. I have read of people eating burgers with Buns just a few days after surgery they couldn't follow rules.

However you must be careful. Eating before your stomach is ready can cause problems like erosion because your stomach is sensitive, still healing etc.

What you are consuming is better then these harsher things ( meat is so hard for your stomach to break down) My first week post op I was having any liquids not onyl clear and that was ok.

I can't remember whom but I remember reading of a doctor who had a patient do 2 days liquids after the band surgery then 2 days mushies 2 days firm foods and the person was back to eating NORMAL food a WEEK after surgery.

Every doctor is different and every person recovering is different.

I would just be honest with your doctor. They won't knock you unconcious and steal the band back for not following their orders. They might lecture you yes, but telling them your cravings etc can help them help you get over things like that by maybe expanding your diet so you aren't so limited and open to cheat with food or help you by advising a trip to the NUT, or seeking therapy,

My doc thought I would starve post op becaus I dont eat meat. When it came to my second week post op I didn't have many mushy options so my doc said I could eat chips ( yes potatoe chips) because it was better then me cheating with liquids like ice cream, chocolate or worse eating foods my stomach wasn't ready for like chicken ( yes I eat chicken sometimes ok I'm a faketarian!) bread etc.

Really we're not perfect. I am always heisitant to write my embarassing fat and food moments on my blog but then I try to research to see if people have done the same stupid things as me online and find nothing. So i write my bad food moments all the time so people can see that you are not crazy or abnormal just no one else has the guts to admit the bad things they have done.

It is very hard to follow docs orders to a T. Trust me I screw up all the time!

I know some people who are eating kimbops ( kind of like sushi) a week after surgery because they are starving and can't do the mushies because they are ready to eat their own arms off.

As for just being banded and eating those things, I don't think it is that bad. I have read of people eating burgers with Buns just a few days after surgery they couldn't follow rules.

However you must be careful. Eating before your stomach is ready can cause problems like erosion because your stomach is sensitive, still healing etc.

What you are consuming is better then these harsher things ( meat is so hard for your stomach to break down) My first week post op I was having any liquids not onyl clear and that was ok.

I can't remember whom but I remember reading of a doctor who had a patient do 2 days liquids after the band surgery then 2 days mushies 2 days firm foods and the person was back to eating NORMAL food a WEEK after surgery.

Every doctor is different and every person recovering is different.

I would just be honest with your doctor. They won't knock you unconcious and steal the band back for not following their orders. They might lecture you yes, but telling them your cravings etc can help them help you get over things like that by maybe expanding your diet so you aren't so limited and open to cheat with food or help you by advising a trip to the NUT, or seeking therapy,

My doc thought I would starve post op becaus I dont eat meat. When it came to my second week post op I didn't have many mushy options so my doc said I could eat chips ( yes potatoe chips) because it was better then me cheating with liquids like ice cream, chocolate or worse eating foods my stomach wasn't ready for like chicken ( yes I eat chicken sometimes ok I'm a faketarian!) bread etc.

Really we're not perfect. I am always heisitant to write my embarassing fat and food moments on my blog but then I try to research to see if people have done the same stupid things as me online and find nothing. So i write my bad food moments all the time so people can see that you are not crazy or abnormal just no one else has the guts to admit the bad things they have done.

Thank You AlienBandit for your very honest response. I agree with everything you said. I went to my doctor on the 5th, and lost 12 1/2 pounds week one despite my little "indulgences". I have started mushies a few days earlier, and am feeling much better. I have found that some people do have the "guts' to admit not following the rules, but many more do not. This is the first time ever that I have posted to anything online, so I too did alot of reading before first posting.

Earlier today I had some fat free cream of chicken Soup, added fat free milk and Water to thin it out. To my pleasant surprised a small piece of chicken made its way into my cup...I didn't eat it but I chewed and spit it out. It's the most satisfaction i've gotten since being banded on Monday :-/

Hi

The diet is the hardest thing. My doctor and dietician were very adamant that I follow the diet to avoid any problems. I have practice being on liquids and I must admit that it is the hardest thing. I am determined to stick to it. I do not want to have any problems post op because I brought them on because I can't keep my mouth closed. My brother-in-law had trouble with the diet. My poor sister was the stomach police for one month. He did well, dropped 88 pounds.

I have to keep busy not to think about food. I have cleaned my refrigerator completely of all ills. Just liquids, Protein liquids as per my nutrition booklet.

Lydia

Hey Guys,

I was reading through the posts and my diets are different from any of yours. I was required to do a 2 day liquid diet before surgery..I am just finishing up day one..my surgery is Friday morning. Afterwards it says that I will do a Clear liquids diet for 1-5 days..The nutritionist told me that as soon as I am handeling the clear liquids then I can move to full liquids. She said that if on day 2 I am doing well then I can move on..after full liquids I go straight to Protein.. she basically said "If you can kill it, you can eat it" so that will be meat, eggs, cheese etc..2 months out I start incorporating fruits and veggies, and then 6 months whole grains.. I think every doctor has their own preferences about how they want the diet to go. As for me, I had to do a 3 month supervised weight loss period before surgery. I had to do low carb, but after the first 2 months I was burnt out. I flat out told them I couldnt live without fruit or the occasional bread. They said it was all about moderation..so I continued to fix dinner for my family , and if we had carbs of some sorts then I would take 2 spoonfuls and then not eat anymore of them. I lost 30 lbs...so I was pretty stoked. I believe in listening to your body..if you're hungry, and its real hunger than eat. These liquids are already making me feel very tired and stuff, so I cant wait to advance to fulls and then right on to my meats!!

IMHO,

Be careful with the cheats.. not so much because it will hurt your stomach physically but you will start conditioning yourself mentally that cheating is ok because it's small quantities. It only takes 250 extra calories a day to GAIN a pound a week. Remember, you didn't go through all that you already have to self sabotage yourself in the long run. This is a SLOW and steady process.. and how hard you work this process will ultimately dictate your long term success. This wasn't my opinion 2 weeks post op mind you. I was thinking the same thing.. but refused to cheat and was better for the struggle. This is a battle that we are going through. I say this 1 year and 3 months post op and 80 pounds gone.

Good luck in your journey

Hi Mishell: I am 3 days post op and on liquid diet also. It is really hard. Get nauseas after drinking so much. The nut from the hospital said its okay to have Tomato Soup, chunky Soups blended, cream of wheat (farina) also in this liquid stage. That really helps me. At least it is a change of taste from the Protein Drinks. Good Luck.....CAT

Hi Mishell: I am 3 days post op and on liquid diet also. It is really hard. Get nauseas after drinking so much. The nut from the hospital said its okay to have Tomato Soup, chunky Soups blended, cream of wheat (farina) also in this liquid stage. That really helps me. At least it is a change of taste from the Protein drinks. Good Luck.....CAT

Hi Cat,

I have only had half a bottle of Water and a cup of apple juice since I have been home. In the hospital I could only drink 4tps of Water. The Nutri I had told me just clear liquids till Fri. To tell you the truth that's fine with me as I still have a bit of pain, How are you feeling how is the pain? I hope to get out today and do a bit of walking as I need air,

Stay well.

Mary

Hi Cat,

I have only had half a bottle of Water and a cup of apple juice since I have been home. In the hospital I could only drink 4tps of Water. The Nutri I had told me just clear liquids till Fri. To tell you the truth that's fine with me as I still have a bit of pain, How are you feeling how is the pain? I hope to get out today and do a bit of walking as I need air,

Stay well.

Mary

Hi Mary: Hope all is well with you today. The Nut. at the hospital said I could start full liquids after 48 hrs. That meant I could have Soups blended and even cream of wheat (farina). Getting hard to stick to the liquids at this point -- day 4 post op. Can you believe we finally got to this point. So happy to be past the surgery part. Pain has really subsided -- just one area pinching a bit. Only had to take tylenol when I got home. Took a walk around the block on Wednesday and it felt good to get outside. Today going to attempt to drive to my daughters house.Watching my grandaughter (14 yrs old so not a baby) for the weekend. Looking forward to the change of scenery. Going to see Dr. G on the 8th of aug. When is your post op appt? I am taking tylenol pm or just benedryl to sleep at night.....I hope this is okay with the band????? Thinking of you. May God Bless and stay well. Chris (CAT)