Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Janette - I get banded on Friday. I had a very strict pre-op diet - My liver shrinking diet started June 7 and moved to my current liquid-only (25 g of Protein each meal) diet. I'm starving but am learning that it's a mental game. I "want the food" but don't need it. My post-op diet is very strict as well - only liquids for 4 weeks post-op with weeks 5 & 6 for "mushies." Sorry but it sounds like you're already setting yourself up to fail. You've made a wonderful choice to extend your life. I actually had my surgery rescheduled from today and moved to Friday because on Day 5 of my "liquid only diet" - I cheated and had 5 meatballs. This kicked me in the butt and I had to own up to my mistake but surgery is tomorrow for you! A new lease on life. Both my parents had heart attacks (my dad died when he was 52 and my thin mom had a heart attack in 2009) - I have PCOS and I have Hypothyroidism - but I want to live a longer life. I have walked a marathon, I exercise and I'm out a lot but I have a food problem - I love to eat for comfort. Having lapband surgery is a very serious decision - people die from this procedure. You're doing this, we're all doing this to extend our lives. So if you feel like you're going to fail already, then cancel until you're ready to commit. I have two beautiful girls and a loving husband and I want to live to be with them. You can do this! I can do this! I believe in you. Now you have to. Best of luck tomorrow. I'll be right behind you, sista!

May

21eeb1ed6596b3b.gif

Hi All,

I am new to the board but have been reading for days now. I am scheduled for my band tomorrow morning at 7:30. I am so nervous that this won't work for me. I was prescribed a 10 day pre-op diet of 800-960 calories with no restriction on what the calories can be and I have not been able to follow it. I feel like I am already sabotaging myself. It irritates me so much because I want to be health and loose this weight more than anything. I went to a meeting at my docs office last week and asked the nutritionist if I would be starving during the post-op liquid phase of the diet and she said she has never been hungry a day in her life after getting banded. I have been reading on here about how pretty much everyone is starving until they move on to solids or have a fill. I too am self pay and don't want to let myself or my family down after paying so much money. I feel like all I do is think about food and can't stop myself. I am trying to be positive and keep telling myself I can do this but I am definitely scared. Thanks for listening.

Janette

You may be one of the lucky ones and get restriction right from the start like your nutritionist! If not, at least we can keep in mind that the hunger is temporary until we hit our "sweet spot". The way I see it is worst thing that can happen is the weight comes off a little slower/a little later than our original plan (mine was very aggressive), but we are still going to get there!

And thanks for the encouragement guys!

Shauna

Hi All,

I am new to the board but have been reading for days now. I am scheduled for my band tomorrow morning at 7:30. I am so nervous that this won't work for me. I was prescribed a 10 day pre-op diet of 800-960 calories with no restriction on what the calories can be and I have not been able to follow it. I feel like I am already sabotaging myself. It irritates me so much because I want to be health and loose this weight more than anything. I went to a meeting at my docs office last week and asked the nutritionist if I would be starving during the post-op liquid phase of the diet and she said she has never been hungry a day in her life after getting banded. I have been reading on here about how pretty much everyone is starving until they move on to solids or have a fill. I too am self pay and don't want to let myself or my family down after paying so much money. I feel like all I do is think about food and can't stop myself. I am trying to be positive and keep telling myself I can do this but I am definitely scared. Thanks for listening.

Janette

I would check in with your surgeon's office to see what they recommend....if you get dehydrated you'll end up in the emergency room and that's no fun!

I have the opposite problem....I've been starving since day 3 after surgery. I have NO restriction and am totally bummed out about it. Have to wait 6 weeks for a fill too. Doesn't help I've only lost 2 lbs. since start of pre-op diet. Looks like this weight loss may be slower for me than I expected. Hoped to reach goal in 6 months for my 40th birthday but that's looking like a bit of a pipe dream now. :(

Shauna

Shauna,

We could be twins. I have only lost 6 pounds since I started the whole process. It is taking a little longer then I thought too. I only have to wait 4 weeks for a fill too.

I would check in with your surgeon's office to see what they recommend....if you get dehydrated you'll end up in the emergency room and that's no fun!

I have the opposite problem....I've been starving since day 3 after surgery. I have NO restriction and am totally bummed out about it. Have to wait 6 weeks for a fill too. Doesn't help I've only lost 2 lbs. since start of pre-op diet. Looks like this weight loss may be slower for me than I expected. Hoped to reach goal in 6 months for my 40th birthday but that's looking like a bit of a pipe dream now. :(

Shauna

Shauna ~ you will be fine !! Maybe your body is still fighting starvation? Keep at it and you'll get what you want. :)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post but I have been keeping up with all of my fellow July 2011 Bandsters. Tomorrow is my first post-op appt. with surgeon and I am nervous....what if I haven't lost any weight????? No....I had to, right??? Okay, that's it for now; this is the point where I hope someone will give me some reassurance before I get on that scale tomorrow......please?? unsure.gif

Well, you won't be the first to not lose weight in preop phase. Your banding is a new start. I'm sure your doc will not be thrilled but he wants you to succeed. You'll be fine but start cleaning up act now.

Well I survived my first post-op visit, 6 pound loss......I need to work on my Water intake and increase my Protein somehow, I talked to my Nutritionist and she said adding the light lucky cow cheese wedges to the mushy foods would add protein and change the tastes some so I am going to try that.

Good Luck AtLast0708 your gonna do just fine :)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post but I have been keeping up with all of my fellow July 2011 Bandsters. Tomorrow is my first post-op appt. with surgeon and I am nervous....what if I haven't lost any weight????? No....I had to, right??? Okay, that's it for now; this is the point where I hope someone will give me some reassurance before I get on that scale tomorrow......please?? unsure.gif

Good luck!! Let us know how you did, and I'm sure you are doing great!!

Well, not having the greatest day. I gained 3 lbs this week...the worst part is that looking back at my food consumption I can see why!! pizza twice this week *sigh* I wish the band magically took away our desire for food not good for us lol On the up side, I can look back and see why I have gained that weight and hopefully make steps to correct it. I refuse to give up on myself this early in the game!! It does get discouraging though when on most days my calorie intake is between 800-1000 calories and then pizza can screw up my whole week. No loss in the last two weeks for me, although I'm sure if I stick to my guidelines I will drop that 3 lbs, it doesn't count as a loss to me since its 3 lbs I lost already and then foolishly gained back. I started walking this week so I was really hoping that I would lose!! I guess I am gonna be a slow loser, which I keep telling myself is ok....I just need to believe it :unsure:

You can eat pizza? I miss pizza...

Yesterday I learned that I can't keep Protein Bars in the house. I managed to limit myself to just two, but those two were after I'd finished eating for the day. :blink:

At least they weren't actually candy bars, no matter how similar they seemed at the time.

Hi everyone !! Banded on the 18th here -- struggling with this liquid diet, but down 9 lbs already ! :D

hoping to make new friends here and someone to share this journey with.

I would recommend to all (including me!) not to compare your weight loss with others. Each own's body is very different from the other, and our organisms will react different too. I know it's great to post weight loss because it makes us so proud and we want the entire world to see (notice I have my own ticker :), but don't be discouraged if you notice someone loosing them really fast and you are not. Live the PRESENT, take each day with joy and purpose and always remember that each moment presents a new opportunity to learn and be better!!! Good luck to all!!! I wish you a very healthy journey!! :D

Hi everyone !! Banded on the 18th here -- struggling with this liquid diet, but down 9 lbs already ! :D

hoping to make new friends here and someone to share this journey with.

Hey ericaassunta,

I got banded on the 17th, would love to share the journey together specially tht we would going thru the same phases together.biggrin.gif

Hey ericaassunta,

I got banded on the 17th, would love to share the journey together specially tht we would going thru the same phases together.biggrin.gif

would LOVE that -- add me as a friend :) and you can private message me ! we can def do this together !! I have no real support team so it is great I am meeting some really nice people here