Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shauna-

You just survived SURGERY! And one that you voluntarily went into -- so you will get through the job hunt, as well. Just an observation, since you were so intrumental in getting this particular forum up and running -- I wonder if, even if it's very part-time, your surgeon's office needs someone to facilitate support groups, or help in some other way? You are passionate and compassionate. We'd all write you glowing references...

You don't sound so down in the dumps, but I know that losing a job can be really deflating to the ego and life view. If this is the case, you might as well use the nervous energy to focus on your health. After all, you can't control most things, but you can control your eating and exercise.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing on the weight and work front.

Jenny

Thanks everyone....sorry for the pity party. I'm in Arizona but don't worry, I'll find something. Just need to move on I guess!

Thanks everyone....sorry for the pity party. I'm in Arizona but don't worry, I'll find something. Just need to move on I guess!

Shauna: This may be the best thing that ever happened for you. Sometimes God works in strange ways. You may find another job that you like better. I know you will. As far as the fills $$ goes tell your dr. and I'm sure he will work out a payout for you. Aren't some fills covered after the surgery as a post op care? Don't know just askling. CAT

Hi All,

Ok, I made it through the surgery this morning. My incisions are feeling fine, but I have the worst heartburn sensation I have ever had in my life. I have been eating tums and gas ex and walking all over trying to see if I can get rid of it at all. Is this normal? I wish I could burp or something is how it feels. I am eating ice chips and Jello. Thanks for all of the encouragement also, I really appreciate it. My doctor said the surgery went really well and didn't mention that my liver was huge thankfully.

Hows the heartburn going......any relief. I hope so! Glad the surgery went well for you. CAT

Here is a very satisfying recipe I found for (cold) Potato-Leek Soup. Granted, it's pushing the "liquid" phase to its outer limit, but I seem to be tolerating things that might be considered "mushy." You can always dilute it.

4 leeks - white part only

4 green onions - white part only

1 lb. potatos - peeled and diced

2-3 cups chicken broth

1.5 teaspoons butter or substitute

Salt and pepper to taste

Slice leeks and green onions. Put in big saucepan with 1.5-2 cups broth. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and cover until very soft (7-8 minutes). Add peeled, diced potatos to mixture and remaining liquid. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and cover until very soft (20-25 minutes). Uncover and remove to let cool a bit. Stir in butter or substitute.

Now, transfer to blender or food processer and puree. Add salt and pepper to taste, and more liquid if desired. Let cool before refrigerating. Can eat cold or at room temp. For those who are eating with non-banded civilians, you can save the sliced greens from the scallions and leeks to make it more crunchy.

Though I am not counting calories -- I'm really trying to listen to my body (and this body said, "gimme carbs and something savory"), I think this is between 250-300 calories a cup. No Protein to speak of, but I get that in other ways. This Soup will FILL YOU UP if you eat too fast, so watch out. AND ENJOY! :)

Hey, you said "rebanded"...why did you have to get banded twice?? Yikes. I don't think I would go through it again.

My band was nearly 5 years old and had a leak in it. I gained back 40lbs really fast! So my insurance approved another procedure and I went for it. I LOVE the band, I'd do it a 3rd time if I had to. It's totally worth the few days of pain and odd diet for a few months.

Hows the heartburn going......any relief. I hope so! Glad the surgery went well for you. CAT

Thanks for asking, I still have the gas pain killing my chest and making me feel a bit nauseous but it seems to get a little better every day. I am really hungry though. Have been drinking the gatorade with Protein and some Protein Shots they have in the health food isle at Walmart. I am at least making it through without wanting to kill and eat my family =-) Excited to move on to mushies.

I am so tired of drinking my food. First post op appointment is Monday. I get my staples out and move on to mushies, I really wish I could just have an scrambled egg tomorrow. Sorry for the whining, I'm just really mourning food today for some reason. Maybe it's because I have to go to a cookout tomorrow, and I won't be able to eat anything (other than the yogurt or pureed Soup that I bring). Feeling the frustration a lot today. How is everyone else?

Hey all! I was banded on July 15th. So far I've lost about 7 lbs and I'm pretty excited about that! I had a hard time the first few days mostly because I wasn't taking in alot of nutrients so I felt like I got run over and I had shoulder pain from the gas for the first 5 days. By the 6th day, totally gone and I had a full night sleep and I felt mostly normal. Still have some residual soreness but ok other than that.

I find it so weird that everyone has different post op diets. I'm a week out and already on mushies and doing fine with them. My post op diet is first week - liquids, 2nd week - mushy, 3rd week - regular food. I guess every place is different. My post op appointment is on Thursday and my first fill will be on August 9th. We will see how it goes!

So nice to have a place to connect!

Good luck to you all!

-C

I am so tired of drinking my food. First post op appointment is Monday. I get my staples out and move on to mushies, I really wish I could just have an scrambled egg tomorrow. Sorry for the whining, I'm just really mourning food today for some reason. Maybe it's because I have to go to a cookout tomorrow, and I won't be able to eat anything (other than the yogurt or pureed Soup that I bring). Feeling the frustration a lot today. How is everyone else?

Me too! I am only on day 3 post op and I am starving! I never thought a scrambled egg or tuna sounded so good. I am mourning the food today also. If this was a regular Sat I would be thinking about dinner or going out to dinner. I miss dinner! angry.gif

Hello, my banded friends!

Well, today I went out to eat my first meal since getting banded 11 days ago, and let's just say I was completely paranoid! My husband said he could tell I was soooo not used to this new lifestyle. I was taking super tiny nibbles and just dipping my fork in the refried Beans and licking it off. I think I probably only ate maybe 1/8 of a cup of food because I was so nervous that I was eating too fast or too much or the wrong thing (I moved to mushies early because I couldn't stand to drink my food for one more day). So, it wasn't the most relaxing meal I've ever had, but at least I survived without any sliming or getting stuck.

P.S. 11 days post op and down 13 lbs!

Onward and upward!

OK, guys, sorry, just need to vent here for a second. I just found out yesterday that I am out of a job. I paid for the lapband surgery myself and put myself in debt to do it. Plus my fills are $370 each. Now I'm not sure if I'll have the money for a fill when it's time.

Just kinda bummed out.

Shauna

I am sorry to hear you are out of a job. Will be praying. Can we do anything?

My weight loss has been stalled for the last week. =( I know its just because its TTOTM but it's really disheartening... espeically with cravings! I've been eating WAY too much and PB all the time! This is really hard because I feel like I've lost a bunch of restriction even in the last two days or so! I'm really worried that I've stuffed up my pouch or something because my mushies may not have been as mushy as they needed to be... I've just been a mess this week because of starting back at school and everything. At least I don't graze at school and can really control my intake... I just wish it was as easy on weekends!!!

I am still REALLY struggling with the whole head hunger thing.... =(

On the upside, my jeans are falling down!

Aly, hang in there!

I do have a suggestion for you. Try to measure your portions so that you don't eat more than 1/2 cup at a time. This is what I was told to do, and I haven't PB'd yet!

If you PB too much, your band can slip and you will lose restriction, so try not to do it anymore.

Congrats on the baggy jeans! I bet that feels great!

My weight loss has been stalled for the last week. =( I know its just because its TTOTM but it's really disheartening... espeically with cravings! I've been eating WAY too much and PB all the time! This is really hard because I feel like I've lost a bunch of restriction even in the last two days or so! I'm really worried that I've stuffed up my pouch or something because my mushies may not have been as mushy as they needed to be... I've just been a mess this week because of starting back at school and everything. At least I don't graze at school and can really control my intake... I just wish it was as easy on weekends!!!

I am still REALLY struggling with the whole head hunger thing.... =(

On the upside, my jeans are falling down!

Oh no! I just looked at the carefirst website and they say I owe my surgeons office 8000! I'm sure it will get straightened out but in the mean time I am freaking out. I already emailed the insurance coordinator and asked her for help. I met all the insurance requirements but who knows what the problem is? Hate this! Totally stressing.

Can't wait to see what they do with the 23000 hospital bill. Meanwhile, they are holding over 800 of my money they owe me! I'm so t-d off! Ugh!

Sorry for rant! On a happy note, just bought airline tickets for my cruise. Everyone: its 137 days until I leave and I have 23 pounds to lose! Hope I can do!

Jeans felt amazing. Its a great way to see non-scale progress!!! I'm definitely digging out the measuring cups I bought for pre-op!!! Sorry for winging... I just needed to vent i guess.