Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Oh my! We have June 30 banders among us! They are on deck! That's so awesome! Good luck tomorrow! Give us stories and updates.

Hi to all new or up coming Bandsters... i was banded on April 12th and i wanted to say Congrats to you and your new upcoming life. I been reading some of your posts and if you have any questions any of the long time bandsters will answer your questions. I did want to tell you that this was one of the easiest surgeries Ive ever had. The one thing i do want to tell you is: After your surgery,soon as you can, get outta that bed and move around(walk around in the house) that will help with the gas pain you will experience.But if you intend to lay in the bed, you will have alot more pain. I was up the next day after surgery and on the 4th day, I was at walmart..lol As far as the Protein, I get mine from Walmart, whey Protein,5 grams, low calories. CVS also has some,I cant remember the name but it has 25 or 26 grams, it come in a foil bag. My Dr told us to get no less than 60 grams a day so I drink the one from Walmart. Just make sure the calories are low. If you have any questions please ask. Being informed is better than being afarid of the unknown.. Congrats again and good luck....

Day 1 complete. I met with the dietician today and mentioned my concerns about energy for exercising these two weeks. She told me that it would be no problem to take one of the Protein Shots I get at GNC 20 minutes before working out to make sure I can get through it, so good to know! The Dymatize Elite shots taste straight up nasty but deliver 25 grams of whey Protein in 2 or 3 oz, no sugar, 99 calories.

Denise, everyone feels different after surgery so we can't know how you will feel. But, that being said I would definitely spend the night to see how you are feeling.

When you get ready to travel back home be sure to plan ahead. You will need plenty of Water and some Protein Drinks and maybe a couple of little Jello cups. Then, when you get ready to drive home be sure to allow time in the drive to stop and walk every hour. I live 45 minutes from the clinic and we had to stop for me to walk due to horrible gas pains. Also, be sure to stay ahead of the pain by taking the pain medicines before you are in bad pain on the trip.

one more day of diet, then off to bandy land!!!! I'm now to the point where I'm looking forward to it. the head games are done; oh me, poor me, why me... ____ me... I did this to myself, I have not lost weight successfully (meaning kept it off) AT ALL... otherwise I wouldn't be here, would I?

Currently wrapping my head around the whole lifestyle change idea, and I'm actually grasping that concept. two week preop has NOT been easy, mainly due to my established way of eating, not because I was hungry, to be honest. I think we all question ourselves as we do this starvation thing... what none of us has ever been here before, pondering yet another diet, and how we got here? stupid head of mine....

So surgery is Friday and I"m counting the hours now.. it's gone from diet misery to almost like Christmas Eve!!!

Weesie,

Thank you for the pointers on heading home. I think it would be wise to stay the night as well. I will stock up on Jello, shakes and gas meds.

Denise

Ask the doc about anti-nausea medications ahead of time. Mine prescribed both an oral pill and a suppository.

Hi. Everyone. I am a self pay too. I will be banded on July 14th. I am excited to have found this group. There is a lot of good information. I am nervous and a little worried about being nausea after surgery. I have had surgery before and have terrible vomiting. It was good to see one person had surgery in the morning and was posting on here in the afternoon. I have a question. I have to travel 6 hours to have the surgery. Should I stay in that city overnight or should I let my husband drive us back home after surgery.

Thanks,

Denise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiHrSsJm82U

My inspirational song for today!!

Feeling Good by Nina Simone

Birds flyin' high you know how I feel

Sun in the sky you know how I feel

Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel

Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me

yeah, its a new dawn its a new day its a new life for me ooooooooh

AND I'M FEELING GOOD

Fish in the sea, you know how I feel

River runnin' free you know how I feel

Blossom on the tree you know how I feel

And I'm feelin good

Dragonfly out in the sun you know what i mean dont you know

Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean

Sleepin' peace when day is done that's what I mean

And this old world is a new world and a bold world for me

Stars when you shine you know how I feel

Scent of the crime you know how I feel

Your freedom is mine, and I know how I feel

(Free styling)

OH I'M FEELING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Denise,

See if your doctor will give you Zofran...it is the best anti-nausea medication out there. It is designed for chemotherapy patients and is the only thing that kept me from constant vomiting during my pregnancy. Your doc isn't going to want you throwing up at all as it can cause the band to slip. Be sure and let them know your past experience!

Shauna

Hi. Everyone. I am a self pay too. I will be banded on July 14th. I am excited to have found this group. There is a lot of good information. I am nervous and a little worried about being nausea after surgery. I have had surgery before and have terrible vomiting. It was good to see one person had surgery in the morning and was posting on here in the afternoon. I have a question. I have to travel 6 hours to have the surgery. Should I stay in that city overnight or should I let my husband drive us back home after surgery.

Thanks,

Denise

Welcome to our new members Healthy4Ever and Denise'sjourney! Here is our updated list...pkjjm31049, let us know how you are doing. Nechama, best of luck tomorrow!

No date yet: Shauna Deanne, kychick1294, 30Something (JeVona), nickieredd79

June 27:pkjjm31049

June 30: Nechama L

July 1: jenjaw, nancy2011, amjcal, Tracy N, xlstan, Wendy Muehleisen, ahassan, KevinM, lifeisjustbeginning2011 (Amy)

July 5: AlyGurl (Aly), MassMom01527 (Steph), Allison0927, Harvest Farmer, wannabe21bmi (Kate), Kim from CT, blackmajyk, Xtinabrown13

July 6: lizzy21050, crash878905, Lorelei, Kimiky

July 7: nesportsfan, hokdo, songbird5769, Short and Chunky, LisaB68, pinktink, dare2bthin

July 11: dixiechick, honeybunny, Jessica43082, hlong1985, Breezybbyy

July 12: BandedApril (April), merlina

July 13: CurlyDiva, Tammy A

July 14: crystalddm, BandItOrLoseIt, MassMommyRebecca, schmidty42, CruiseGirl2011, Denise'sjourney

July 15: Corize, JohnnyBoy

July 18: Colee85

July 19: Mrs. Schultz

July 21: NomersCat, Coco's mum, Rock4Light401

July 22: razzcat

July 25: cat lady, dropsizes (Mary)

July 27: Healthy4Ever

July 29: ButterflyM, PungosMama

Hi again all,

First of all...good luck to those of you being banded this week! I have a little less than two weeks left. I am eating terribly! Like some others have mentioned...I am finding myself thinking "I should eat this now because I won't be able to soon." I am so aware of the fact that my eating is much more mental than physical. My doc doesnt require a preop diet except the day before. I am going to start next Tuesday though just because I want to.

I am reading "Bandwagon: Strategies for Success With the Adjustable Gastric Band" by Jean McMillan. I ordered it on Amazon. It is an excellent book. It has helped me understand some of my choices better, has made me laugh, and has helped me understand what to expect after surgery. It is written by a bandster and she has kept the weight off and is an inspiration. I really recommend the book! I haven't finished it yet but it is so far a very quick and enjoyable read.

Has anyone else been given medications before the surgery date? My doctor didn't mention that as an option but it makes sense.

Also, I just found out that I have H Pylori...found out from the endoscopy. Gastro dr is putting me on two antibiotics and omeprazole (sp?). He kinda made me feel like there was something wrong with me for having it. He whipped out a picture of this terrifying bug and said "this is what you have in you". He then asked if I was stationed in a third world country. I am a teacher...not in the military. When I explained that I have only visited some places but never stayed long he said (rudely) "I have no idea how you got it but you have it" and he handed me some prescriptions. I asked him if it was contagious because I am concerned about my son. He said flat out no. I looked it up online and apparently it is contagious. I dont know! At least I know that I have it and can treat it. My only concern is that is the prescriptions are for 14 days and my surgery is in 13 and I won't be able to take large antibiotics.e I have to take the omeprazole for several months so I am hoping that I will be able to swallow that.

Another thing...I have gone nuts and have ordered so many samples of Protein drinks that I think I have enough for a month! So far the Unjury chocolate is my favorite.

Has anyone tried the crystal light pure? It doesn't have aspartame which I cant stand. Apparently it is made with a natural sweetner. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and if its okay.

Hmmm...I really went on and on....sorry!

Good luck tomorrow Nechama!

I've tried the Crystal Light Pure and wasn't a fan. It is very tangy and I didn't think it dissolved all that well which made me gag. I hate the aspartame as well, it tears my throat up! I'm trying to drink plain Water the first part of the day and resorting to CL when I'm sick of water.

I haven't tried the Crystal Light Pure yet (though I bought some), but tonight I tried MIO, which (in my store) is in the same aisle as the Crystal Light. It was MUCH better than I anticipated!! I think it uses Splenda (aspertame gives me terrible headaches, so I'm certain it doesn't have that).

Merlina: My surgeon's nurse said omeprazole can be cut in half, and that coated pills are easier to take than non-coated ones. And my PCP said that it's better to crush pills (even those that say "do not crush") than to not take them at all. And it sounds like that dr. you dealt with was a jerk! He's not your band surgeon, is he?

Read the wikipedia article on H. Pylori at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._pylori. More than half of the worlds population has it so screw that doc that made you feel like a freak! It is good they caught it though, it can lead to GERD, ulcers, and even cancer.

Shauna

Hi again all,

First of all...good luck to those of you being banded this week! I have a little less than two weeks left. I am eating terribly! Like some others have mentioned...I am finding myself thinking "I should eat this now because I won't be able to soon." I am so aware of the fact that my eating is much more mental than physical. My doc doesnt require a preop diet except the day before. I am going to start next Tuesday though just because I want to.

I am reading "Bandwagon: Strategies for Success With the Adjustable Gastric Band" by Jean McMillan. I ordered it on Amazon. It is an excellent book. It has helped me understand some of my choices better, has made me laugh, and has helped me understand what to expect after surgery. It is written by a bandster and she has kept the weight off and is an inspiration. I really recommend the book! I haven't finished it yet but it is so far a very quick and enjoyable read.

Has anyone else been given medications before the surgery date? My doctor didn't mention that as an option but it makes sense.

Also, I just found out that I have H Pylori...found out from the endoscopy. Gastro dr is putting me on two antibiotics and omeprazole (sp?). He kinda made me feel like there was something wrong with me for having it. He whipped out a picture of this terrifying bug and said "this is what you have in you". He then asked if I was stationed in a third world country. I am a teacher...not in the military. When I explained that I have only visited some places but never stayed long he said (rudely) "I have no idea how you got it but you have it" and he handed me some prescriptions. I asked him if it was contagious because I am concerned about my son. He said flat out no. I looked it up online and apparently it is contagious. I dont know! At least I know that I have it and can treat it. My only concern is that is the prescriptions are for 14 days and my surgery is in 13 and I won't be able to take large antibiotics.e I have to take the omeprazole for several months so I am hoping that I will be able to swallow that.

Another thing...I have gone nuts and have ordered so many samples of Protein drinks that I think I have enough for a month! So far the Unjury chocolate is my favorite.

Has anyone tried the crystal light pure? It doesn't have aspartame which I cant stand. Apparently it is made with a natural sweetner. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and if its okay.

Hmmm...I really went on and on....sorry!

Good luck tomorrow Nechama!

Sorry for the quick post, I'm on my phone and can't type/read much!!

I'm on day three of pre-op and am finding it really hard to eat enough food!!! Especially since I'm exercising off over 700 calories a day! I eat 2/3 of what I'm meant to be at most and am DESPERATELY craving savory foods and MEAT!!!! ugh!!! I know that my body will go into starvation mode if I don't eat enough but I can't seem to stomach it!!!