Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

7 days till surgery! July 5th right here! Soooo excited! I haven't had to do a pre-op diet or anything but I have had to lose 6 lbs for surgery. Yay for all us Summer Bandsters!

Kim,

I think the "failure is not an option" really became true when I really started to think about this surgery months ago. When I realized that I'd be self-pay, I really had to think about it. $12,500 is a lot of money. The money for the surgery came from my "new car" fund. But you know what? I can't drive a new car if I'm dead. I guess my new car will be a crappy one.

:o Amy

SOOOO after thinking it was over, I gave a lot of thought about reaching my goals without surgery and decided in my head its do or die. Im committed 100%.

Failure is not an option! So I know with surgery, I am mentally prepared for this...... but where are these nervous feelings coming from? Anyone else expirencing butterflys?

I look forward to this journey with yall! 8 days and counting.....

Kim

Good luck on your surgery! July 5th is my final appt with my Dr. M! I didn't have a pre-op diet either, just to lose 10 pounds. Did you cut back on your eating or live on Protein shakes?

7 days till surgery! July 5th right here! Soooo excited! I haven't had to do a pre-op diet or anything but I have had to lose 6 lbs for surgery. Yay for all us Summer Bandsters!

Is anyone else setting a firm goal for exercise? I've committed to walking a half-marathon in January and not sure if I can do it or not (according my surgeon I should be at or close to my goal weight by then). I think it's going to help make sure I walk a lot though! I've gone from being able to walk 2 miles a week ago up to 2.7, with less pain. So I am making progress. I think I can get up to the 13 miles, but the course closes after 4 hours so the walking has to be done pretty fast.

Shauna

I joined a gym a couple months ago and have been working on their machines. I challenge myself in each 1/2 hour workout to burn more and more calories. So far my highest is 261 calories in 1.07 miles. :)

Good luck...we're all in the same boat...let's hope it holds! LOL

hahahahaha

I went to Wal-Mart tonight to gather up post-op food for the liquids and mushies stage and ended up (because of the odd combination of food I was buying) having a chat with the cute, thin 20-something checker about my planned WLS. She was very sweet and encouraging and told me about a friend of hers who had lapband and has been very successful. I guess I've decided (by default) to be pretty open about it.

However, I'm not telling a group of my college friends--we get together every year for New Year's Eve in a different city (this is year 19--yipes, I'm old!). This year we're going to Las Vegas and I kind of want to just show up and surprise them all with my dramatic weight loss (I'm already 30 lbs lighter than they saw me last). Is that just totally ridiculous of me? Well, at least it gives me a goal! :rolleyes:

it's nice to get some unexpected encouragement! i think it's cool that you want to surprise your friends, I'm trying to do the same with mine... just keep thinking of that "omg!" moment they're going to have lol when I see my family for Christmas I'm hoping to lose at least 40 lbs... my goal is to see jaws drop!

Surgery is creeping up (July 15th) so I've been trying to work things in like skipping drinks before and after dinner (holy crap) and chewing 30 times with every bite (forever!) and I'm already getting tired! wink.gif

chewing 30 times per bite... i'm not looking forward to that. i'm going to look like a cow chewing and chewing and chewing... lol i really liked your blog by the way, lots of "oooh me too" moments.. i hope you keep up with it!

chewing 30 times per bite... i'm not looking forward to that. i'm going to look like a cow chewing and chewing and chewing... lol i really liked your blog by the way, lots of "oooh me too" moments.. i hope you keep up with it!

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it. I know this whole thing is going to be a challenge, so why not have some laughs along the way?

Shauna,

Thanks for keeping us all straight. Little did I know when I made that first posting oh so long ago, that it would end up with all this great information and wonderful support. I still haven't told too many people about my decision, not any particular reasons, just not a big "open" person.

Lisa B

Here is our updated list. As for me, I'm shooting for July 15 or 22 but haven't heard back yet. I'm still going through some tests this week and everything has to come back clear. I'm a little worried about showing up anemic for the blood tests as the last time I tried to give blood they turned me down for that reason.

No date yet: Shauna Deanne, kychick1294, 30Something (JeVona), nickieredd79

June 27:pkjjm31049 (a special welcome to our "senior correspondent" LOL)

June 30: Nechama L (another "senior correspondent")

July 1: jenjaw, nancy2011, amjcal, Tracy N, xlstan, Wendy Muehleisen, ahassan, KevinM, lifeisjustbeginning2011 (Amy)

July 5: AlyGurl (Aly), MassMom01527 (Steph), Allison0927, Harvest Farmer, wannabe21bmi (Kate), Kim from CT, blackmajyk

July 6: lizzy21050, crash878905, Lorelei, Kimiky

July 7: nesportsfan, hokdo, songbird5769, Short and Chunky, LisaB68, pinktink, dare2bthin

July 11: dixiechick, honeybunny, Jessica43082, hlong1985, Breezybbyy

July 12: BandedApril (April), merlina

July 13: CurlyDiva, Tammy A

July 14: crystalddm, BandItOrLoseIt, MassMommyRebecca, schmidty42, CruiseGirl2011

July 15: Corize, JohnnyBoy

July 18: Colee85

July 19: Mrs. Schultz

July 21: NomersCat, Coco's mum, Rock4Light401

July 22: razzcat

July 25: cat lady, dropsizes (Mary)

July 29: ButterflyM, PungosMama

Talk about great timing - just got information last night on my 25th high school reunion being planned for early October. As that I still look the same as I did in high school (just a little bigger, but not much) - Yes, apparently, I have always looked like a large 40 year old drag queen! 5'10, 200+, face by Mary Kay! - so I am not too terrified to see anyone, but I cannot wait to go in much smaller than what I was in school. That will be a treat.

Lisa B

I have silently been reading post for a while and today I can't help but post and introduce myself.... I decided to start posting today because.....

I'm FINALLY SCHEDULED FOR SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! July 6th it is! I am so excited and nervous and full of so many emotions I dont know where to start! I had planned surgery July 1 but about a week ago had a glitch in my health insurance and found out that my husband was seperated from the airforce after being on temporary retirement for nearly 5 years! I thought all my planning and excitement and planning was over but he knew how important this was to me and ended up paying for one more quarter of tricare instead of switching to my insurance and after checking with everyone today, the surgery is ON! Things are pushed back a week, (and a few thousand dollars having to pay for insurance out of pocket) but its on the schedule!

SOOOO after thinking it was over, I gave a lot of thought about reaching my goals without surgery and decided in my head its do or die. Im committed 100%.

Failure is not an option! So I know with surgery, I am mentally prepared for this...... but where are these nervous feelings coming from? Anyone else expirencing butterflys?

I look forward to this journey with yall! 8 days and counting.....

Kim

I am with you Kim!!! Finally scheduled yesterday for July 14 and cannot wait. Let us know how it goes, this is a great resource.

I actually am doing a diet i heard about. I have a Protein Shake in the morning and i eat a lean cuisine/smartones/healthy choice for both lunch and dinner. I try to get the lowest calorie ones I can find. I usually have one snack which is a fruit. And that's really it. :)

Good luck on your surgery! July 5th is my final appt with my Dr. M! I didn't have a pre-op diet either, just to lose 10 pounds. Did you cut back on your eating or live on Protein Shakes?

Yay Lisa on your reunion! I have skipped all of them (most recently the 20th) because I went from the skinny hot girl in high school to the big old fattie and couldn't face them. Here's to going to the 25th as my old skinny self!

Shauna

I'm the 5th too! I started pre-op yesterday and have already lost 1.3 kg (almost 3lbs I think.... I only do metric!) it's REALLY helping me to cope with the pre-op diet because it reminds me why I'm doing this!

Is anyone else setting a firm goal for exercise? I've committed to walking a half-marathon in January and not sure if I can do it or not (according my surgeon I should be at or close to my goal weight by then). I think it's going to help make sure I walk a lot though! I've gone from being able to walk 2 miles a week ago up to 2.7, with less pain. So I am making progress. I think I can get up to the 13 miles, but the course closes after 4 hours so the walking has to be done pretty fast.

Shauna

Yes. While I am off work recovering ... I will be taking the two hour commute time (total) and walking everyday. I figure if I'm not driving to work each day - I might as well use that 'time' as walking time. I am hoping that by the time I go back to work to have made this a real habit. I can hope, can't I??