Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

JohnnyBoy,

Your blog made me laugh until I cried! It is great that you have such a sense of humor and honesty about this journey.

Thanks, Merlina! More to come. I hope more people enjoy it as it moves along. It'll be a great tool to let some of my brain trolls out to play once in a while. The only problem is is that they really like potato chips.< /p>

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum and my surgery date is quickly approaching (July 18th) Best wishes to all!

Welcome to all the new folks! Boy a lot has happened on here this past weekend.

As for the question of who to tell, and when...I'm still kinda up in the air...My immediate family knows, as do my best friend. My sister, mom and dad.

I know that if a few people in my life hadn't said..."I decided to get lap band surgery," when I asked them what they were doing to get such fantastic dieting results...That I wouln't even be here today. So I am soooooo greatful that those folks were honest about their journey. However, I do feel like I may be wrongfully judged should I practice full disclosure. So I think I'll just take it on a case by case basis, and when I do tell...I'll ask folks to please allow me to tell people in my own way, and to keep my personal information to themselves. However, people talk...so I'm sure it won't take a very long time for the small town gossips to go to work. Ha, Ha. I just hope I might be the catalyst for some one else to explore this option.

Day 5 of pre-op and doctor said, " think you need to add a serving of lean chicken to your veggie meal" for the next week. That made me happy. So I'm not on a full shake regime. Yippee. I was surprised at my weight loss for the last 5 days. I think he was as well, given I have 8 more days of this. So tonight I get to CHEW!

Hi Aly,

I'm nervous about the pre-op diet too, but I am SOOOO lucky because my doc allows a few solids...just NO carbs (other than what is in a low carb Protein shake) and I'm a carb person. Cool thing is my co-worker (who had gastric bypass and has kinda stalled out on his weight loss) and my best friend are going to do it with me. They might slightly modify it to add some fruits and veggies but otherwise we will be going through carb withdrawal together! Are you on a strict liquid diet? What does everyone else pre-op diet look like?

Shauna

Yes, it is all happening fast! I found out today that I was approved by my insurance co and my surgery date is July 14. I went by the Dr's office and picked up the Opti-fast, start on Thursday. Not looking forward to that, but know I can do anything!!

I have had my dietician, psychologist, EKG, Chest x-ray appts week before last so let's get on with it. My BMI is 36/37.

Well I got my PCP medical clearance today, one more hurdle cleared! EKG tomorrow, diet starts Wednesday! I managed to lose 21 pounds cutting carbs, sugar, and butter the last 6 weeks...if only I had the ability to maintain that motivation long term instead of short bursts, maybe I wouldn't be here now. Then again, maybe I would, my family's genes stink!

hello everyone,

I just had my surgery this morning,so I hope i am close enough to July to jump in with you guys!!I am from Massachusetts also to all the new Englanders out there..lol.Well I will try to answer as many questions as I can seeing its only been today banded.I did not have to do any liquid diet, I actually had McDonalds last night for dinner..(opps) but i did not have anything after 9pm and I was at the or getting rolled in at 7:45 dont remembr anything from that point,when I woke up in recovery My insision were sore espeacially where the port was ,and the biggest incision too,I will definantly be putting mederma on them to help with the scaring.The nurses were awesome,I just had liquids there and they gave me a Protein Drink tohave for the ride home,I am home now and doing pretty good,I will keep you guys updated!!~Kris

:)

:)

At first I was quiet about it, but now most people. Figure it was a good motivator.

When i first made the decision to get banded, I simply told a few close friends, my significant other, and my mother. As the time came close, i got my surgery date...i have been telling more and more people. I don't know if it because of the support, or the fact that it is more definate (similar to the 3 month rule with pregnancy) either way i just went with my soon to be vanishing gut :)

I have silently been reading post for a while and today I can't help but post and introduce myself.... I decided to start posting today because.....

I'm FINALLY SCHEDULED FOR SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! July 6th it is! I am so excited and nervous and full of so many emotions I dont know where to start! I had planned surgery July 1 but about a week ago had a glitch in my health insurance and found out that my husband was seperated from the airforce after being on temporary retirement for nearly 5 years! I thought all my planning and excitement and planning was over but he knew how important this was to me and ended up paying for one more quarter of tricare instead of switching to my insurance and after checking with everyone today, the surgery is ON! Things are pushed back a week, (and a few thousand dollars having to pay for insurance out of pocket) but its on the schedule!

SOOOO after thinking it was over, I gave a lot of thought about reaching my goals without surgery and decided in my head its do or die. Im committed 100%.

Failure is not an option! So I know with surgery, I am mentally prepared for this...... but where are these nervous feelings coming from? Anyone else expirencing butterflys?

I look forward to this journey with yall! 8 days and counting.....

Kim

Hey dare2bthin, Welcome to the 7th. I am still looking forward to the day. I am set to start my 1 week Optifast liquid diet on the 1st, but have been drinking Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch for a few days to help with the no food transition!!!

Good luck to us.

Lisa

Hi, I have been reading about all the July Banders-- so happy for everyone's journey! I would love to be added to your July 7th list.. I am excited to finally be in a place where I am mentally and physically ready for the changes. Embarrassingly, I have postponed my surgery two times since October. Going under frightens me however I am ready to do this. Readying every ones post, sharing the same fears and excitment is encouraging. BEST of luck to all the July Banders. :)

Hey Schmidty42,

I have lost 20 lbs or more several times over and gained it all back plus more. While it is a very personal decision to make, you have to make it for yourself not your brothers. As you have said, this is a tool to help the weight stay off. we can all loose it, however, as we age, it is harder to keep taking the weight off, but it is very difficult for thosed who have always had a weight problem to keep it off. It is very clear that your brothers love you if they worry about making this big, major decision. I am a "self-pay" and have spent a lot of money in the past on one weight loss program or another. If you have not spent and struggled with weight loss for very many years, it may be easy to try for 6 months to do it on your own. It seems like most of us have spent years and thousands on weight loss. Good luck on your decision.

Lisa

I'm scheduled to have the Lap Band on 7/14/11. I'm self pay, 41 years old and BMI of 38. I'm looking forward to having the lap band as a tool for losing weight. However, my brothers are begging me not to do it right now and wait 6 months to see if I can do it on my own. They're even willing to give me $1000 if I lose 20 pounds in six months without surgery. Is it worth it to use all my saved money for the surgery? I think so but I'm getting a little nervous especially when you read of a few people not having success. I know diet programs usually work if you follow them exactly so is it worth it to put my body through surgery for a tool in weight loss. What are your thoughts as you come closer to your surgery date?

Shauna,

I don't like that you don't have a specific date!!! What happens if you fall into August????? What will I do?

By the way, Have you heard of anyone staying the night at the hospital or does everyone think that they will go home same day? I thought that I would be an outpatient, but have started thinking of staying overnight. My procedure is on a Thursday and I have tickets to a Def Leppard concert on Saturday night, I plan on going!!!!

Lisa

Welcome to our 2 new members, MassMommyRebecca, and blackmajyk!

Here is our updated list:

No date yet: Shauna Deanne, kychick1294, 30Something (JeVona), nickieredd79

June 30: Nechama L

July 1: jenjaw, nancy2011, amjcal, Tracy N, xlstan, Wendy Muehleisen, ahassan, KevinM, lifeisjustbeginning2011 (Amy)

July 5: AlyGurl (Aly), MassMom01527 (Steph), Allison0927, Harvest Farmer, wannabe21bmi (Kate), Kim from CT, blackmajyk

July 6: lizzy21050, crash878905, Lorelei

July 7: nesportsfan, hokdo, songbird5769, Short and Chunky, LisaB68, pinktink, dare2bthin

July 11: dixiechick, honeybunny, Jessica43082, hlong1985, Breezybbyy

July 12: BandedApril (April), merlina

July 13: CurlyDiva, Tammy A

July 14: crystalddm, BandItOrLoseIt, MassMommyRebecca

July 15: Corize, JohnnyBoy

July 19: Mrs. Schultz

July 21: NomersCat, Coco's mum, Rock4Light401

July 22: razzcat

July 25: cat lady, dropsizes (Mary)

July 29: ButterflyM, PungosMama

Hey Colee85,

It looks like we are going through the same practice. I am having my procedure with Dr Nain on the 7th. You will find loads of information in our forum here. Good Luck and I will talk to you soon.

Lisa

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum and my surgery date is quickly approaching (July 18th) Best wishes to all!

Did some serious damage at the store today!!! The only thing I forgot to buy was a pill crusher. Drat! Is there a way to upload pictures on here? Anyone know? I see that there is a place to put a link to a picture...but hmmm.....