Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Me too! Today is my second day and I don't feel hungry. Mentally I want eat...last night was hard for me because that's when I do my damage, but I made it through!

so i am finding i am not really hungry on this liquid diet, just used to putting something in my mouth unnecessarily...anyone have similar thoughts? i am afraid i will break after a day or two, or maybe it will get easier, i am not sure?

Same here...day two and I'm not hungry. Just the mental part....make me think I could do this without the band, but I know that's not going to happen.

I know I may be the only one out there but I am not hungry at all on my pre op liquid diet. I'm completely satisfied physically. Mentally, I'm still hungry. I want to eat everything in sight just to chew lol :huh:

Sorry for the double post ...iPad doesn't like the site

For those of us who are keeping surgery quiet, do you plan to tell people if they ask you directly? Or tell people once you feel you are successful? I don't think I should lie if asked...

What do you think?

Good question.... for right now, the people who know are my parents and sisters, my manager at work and a few close friends. Even some of my close friends had negative views about my decision. That's the only reason why I decided to limit who I tell--not because I think I'll fail. I feel so ready for this step that I'm not afraid of following through.

If people ask me after the fact, then I will either tell them about the surgery (if I think they'll understand where I'm coming from) or just tell them I'm eating less (which will be the truth!) lol

Same here...day two and I'm not hungry. Just the mental part....make me think I could do this without the band, but I know that's not going to happen.

I had those thoughts too, thinking I could just do it on my own since I have lost 6 lbs in the first 3 days of the preop diet. But then I just remind myself of all the times I promised myself this would be the time I would lose the weight on my own, but never followed through.

day 8 for me on the liquid preop diet and I ate a cheeseburger at a graduation party today... crap. but, I'm not gonna kill myself about it. in looking at what other people wrote, I think maybe I should have called my doctor (duuuhhh...).

I'm 6'5" and started this at 377. Been sticking to it like glue (100 grams Protein, 1000 calories) and like others mentioned, it's actually hard to hit 1000 calories with these Protein Shakes. i was not hungry until yesterday, and in one week I've lost 20 pounds.. I really have been sticking with this.. but damn... 1000 calories isn't much for someone a foot or more shorter than me.

anyway... I can rationalize the hell out of this, but I'd rather just be honest and tell all of you yes I blew it today, but unlike blowing other diets, I'm not gonna go whole hog and gorge.. I'm back on track and focusing on Friday. BUT... i just may call the doc on Monday and see what he says....

so there ya have at... I'm not perfect. but hell if I was, would I need a band? there ya have it....

Stan:

Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure LOTS of people go off the diet once or twice. Think of it this way: the diet is designed to shrink and soften your liver to make it easier for the surgeon to manipulate the liver to get at the stomach. If you eat 1000 calories for 13 out of 14 days and 1500 calories on one of those days, you're still going to ultimately reduce and soften your liver. Now, if you ate a cheeseburger every day, you might be in trouble. But once? Don't panic. Just take a deep breath and get back on the diet.

I guarantee you're not the first person to fall off the wagon on the pre-op diet, and plenty of them went on to be successful bandsters.

Just don't use this as an excuse to do it again. ;) (I say that because I know that I could easily figure out how to rationalize doing it several days in a row--but I REFUSE to this time!!!)

We're here to support you--you can do this!!!!!!

day 8 for me on the liquid preop diet and I ate a cheeseburger at a graduation party today... crap. but, I'm not gonna kill myself about it. in looking at what other people wrote, I think maybe I should have called my doctor (duuuhhh...).

I'm 6'5" and started this at 377. Been sticking to it like glue (100 grams Protein, 1000 calories) and like others mentioned, it's actually hard to hit 1000 calories with these Protein Shakes. i was not hungry until yesterday, and in one week I've lost 20 pounds.. I really have been sticking with this.. but damn... 1000 calories isn't much for someone a foot or more shorter than me.

anyway... I can rationalize the hell out of this, but I'd rather just be honest and tell all of you yes I blew it today, but unlike blowing other diets, I'm not gonna go whole hog and gorge.. I'm back on track and focusing on Friday. BUT... i just may call the doc on Monday and see what he says....

so there ya have at... I'm not perfect. but hell if I was, would I need a band? there ya have it....

Hi All,

I am being banded on July 12th. I am so glad that I found this site! It looks like there will others for me to share my journey with. My doctor only wants me to drink the Protein Shakes for one day before the surgery. Seems very different than others. I am considering doing it for a week before the surgery just to start the process.

Best of luck to all!

I think that's a really good idea. For two reasons: losing weight shrinks your liver, which my surgeon says makes surgery safer. And two, in my opinion, it is preparing me (mentally) and my body (physically) for what's to come. Ultimately it's your decision of course! Good luck :)

Thanks Shauna, I was wondering why my ticker wasn't working. LOL

Welcome JohnnyBoy, Butterfly, and Kevin! I will add you to the date list and repost later today.

Kevin, I was also looking for a therapist and the psychologist they required me to see pre-surgery had some good names for me...maybe you can try there?

For those of you trying to get your tickers working...use the "BBCode" text in your signature, NOT the HTML text. That worked for me.

Shauna

BaileyRose,

Glad to hear that someone else was in the same boat with the pre-op diet. At first I felt lucky, but hen after I thought about it some more I decided to put myself on a pre-op diet for the week before surgery. I've only lost about 5lbs so far, and I'm terrified of complications. So to make surgery as safe as possible, I'm going to have Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch, and low carb or no carb dinners and Snacks. I think that ought to do the trick. :D

I see my surgeon on Wednesday for my pre-op appointment. I'll let ya know what he says. When is your surgery date?

Hey Stan, no biggie...I'm betting 80% of people cheat some on the pre-op. I'm not on it yet so have no idea if I'll be able to make it or not, but it must be hard.

Wendy, you are welcome...I'm a computer programmer and even I couldn't figure it out for a while!

For those of you doing "voluntary" pre-op diets, I think it's a great idea! Not only will it shrink your liver, you will have less of us wanting to smack you :P

Welcome to merlina, please come around often and tell us how you are doing!

Here's our list...everyone find their date buddies and IM them!

No date yet: Shauna Deanne, kychick1294, 30Something (JeVona), nickieredd79

June 30: Nechama L

July 1: jenjaw, nancy2011, amjcal, Tracy N, xlstan, Wendy Muehleisen, ahassan, KevinM,

lifeisjustbeginning2011 (Amy)

July 5: AlyGurl (Aly), MassMom01527 (Steph), Allison0927, Harvest Farmer, wannabe21bmi (Kate), Kim from CT

July 6: lizzy21050, crash878905, Lorelei

July 7: nesportsfan, hokdo, songbird5769, Short and Chunky, LisaB68, pinktink, dare2bthin

July 11: dixiechick, honeybunny, Jessica43082, hlong1985, Breezybbyy

July 12: BandedApril (April), merlina

July 13: CurlyDiva, Tammy A

July 14: crystalddm

July 15: Corize, JohnnyBoy

July 19: Mrs. Schultz

July 21: NomersCat, Coco's mum, Rock4Light401

July 25: cat lady, dropsizes (Mary)

July 29: ButterflyM, PungosMama

First, let me preface by saying this: I AM AN EXTREMELY PICKY EATER. I found out yesterday on the first day of my pre-op diet that I am allergic to whey Protein isolate. I felt terrible all day (headache, hives, etc) and finally ended up vomiting after the second shake. Lesson learned. Today I switched to soy (yes, totally dreading that) but I can drink it!!! I mixed soy chocolate Protein Shake with powdered Peanut Butter (small amount) and I can drink it!!! The powdered peanut butter is FRICKING DELICIOUS!!!! It tastes exactly like peanut butter, folks!!! The company is called Bell Plantation. I ordered two samples from their website ($4 total including s&h) and I just bought more. I'm a PB lover anyway, and this stuff is terrific.

So....looks like I'm going to be drinking a WHOLE lot of chocolate peanut butter shakes until Friday!

Chocolate soy drink is 22 grams of protein plus another gram or so for the peanut butter powder. Not too shabby!! And I'm not miserably hungry. Seriously, this is a V I C T O R Y !!

Amy

That's a really good idea... I started doing that today. I don't have a surgery date as of yet. My psych evaluation and nutrition appointment is this upcoming Wednesday and then my final visit with the surgeon is Thursday. Then my file can be submitted to insurance and I should know within a week. I'm so excited! I wish my surgery was tomorrow... Haha

BaileyRose,

Glad to hear that someone else was in the same boat with the pre-op diet. At first I felt lucky, but hen after I thought about it some more I decided to put myself on a pre-op diet for the week before surgery. I've only lost about 5lbs so far, and I'm terrified of complications. So to make surgery as safe as possible, I'm going to have Protein Shakes for breakfast and lunch, and low carb or no carb dinners and Snacks. I think that ought to do the trick. :D

I see my surgeon on Wednesday for my pre-op appointment. I'll let ya know what he says. When is your surgery date?

Put me down for 7/14/11 for my surgery...

My doc hasn't said anything about an actual pre-op "diet", but has made a humongous deal about cutting carbs to no more than 30 grams per day and even that to only be consumed during the three meals... Over the past month I lost 8 lbs. (wasn't trying really but work/life has been tough, so maybe that's why?!), but as of last week I've tried to cut the carbs. It's been a challenge to find anything that i like that has no carb in it :) but I might get a breakfast egg sandwich & not eat the bread... Or lots of different types of chicken salads, etc. Had steak & veggies the other night! Not too shabby! My wife is playing along, which is awesome (she's 5'3" & 120 lbs., but she thinks she should eat healthy by cutting carbs).

I'll weigh myself again tomorrow night to see if the past several days of very minimal carb has lost me any weight (to get rid of the fat around the liver, the doc said there's no magic number--by cutting carbs all the way, the body is forced to use the fat stored around the liver...)

For those of us who are keeping surgery quiet, do you plan to tell people if they ask you directly? Or tell people once you feel you are successful? I don't think I should lie if asked...

What do you think?

Obviously my family knows and my boyfriend (and his family). As for other people, I told the lady I babysit for (because I have to take some time off - she was SO excited and is having her church pray for my safety! lol) and about 10 of my closest friends, partly because I want to be open with them but also because they'll need to understand why I'll be out of action for most of the holidays and why my eating habbits will change so much. I'm going to tell anyone who asks but I'm not posting about it on Facebook or twitter.

I'm completely out about it on my blog: http://ireallyjustwanttobepretty.tumblr.com/

♥Aly