Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

I'm so jealous of all you guys that can do the whey-based Protein drinks...there are so many yummy mixes out there! I realized after trying 2 samples that I can't do them because I'm lactose intolerant...this AFTER spending $50 on tons of samples, all whey-based. If anyone in the Phoenix area wants a big bag of samples, come and get them (west Mesa) and they are yours!

Amy, so glad you got a new date set!

To all of you losing weight on the liquid diet and wondering "why can't I just do it this way?"...ask yourself if you could KEEP it off once you go back to solid food. I know I couldn't. I lost 50 lbs. 2 years ago and put 30 of it back on in the last year. A big part of why I'm getting the band is to KEEP it off for life!

Who else is going to see a counselor/psychologist to deal with their food issues? I have my first appointment next Thursday with a guy that supposedly specializes in weight issues...I hope it helps. My co-worker who has had gastric bypass (and has been successful) told me he has friends who also had it and gained all their weight back, because they didn't fix what was "broken in their brain", as he worded it.

Got my chest xray yesterday, getting gallbladder ultrasound and blood tests today. EGD is scheduled for next Thursday...then I'm ready to be scheduled! I am a little worried about showing up anemic on the blood tests, as the last time I tried to give blood they wouldn't let me since I showed up slightly anemic. I've been eating extra red meat to hopefully beat that!

I'll post an updated list shortly. Lot's of July 1st banders...hope you guys stick around to mentor those of us with later July dates!

Shauna

Welcome to our new peeps...Nickieredd79 and dropsizes (Mary)!

No date yet: Shauna Deanne, LisaB68, kychick1294, 30Something (JeVona), nickieredd79

June 30: Nechama L

July 1: jenjaw, nancy2011, amjcal, Tracy N, xlstan, Wendy Muehleisen, ahassan, KevinM,

lifeisjustbeginning2011 (Amy)

July 5: AlyGurl (Aly), MassMom01527, Allison0927, Harvest Farmer, wannabe21bmi (Kate)

July 6: lizzy21050, crash878905

July 7: nesportsfan, hokdo, songbird5769

July 11: dixiechick, honeybunny, Jessica43082, hlong1985

July 12: BandedApril (April)

July 13: CurlyDiva

July 14: crystalddm

July 15: Corize, JohnnyBoy

July 19: Mrs. Schultz

July 21: NomersCat, Coco's mum

July 25: cat lady, dropsizes (Mary)

July 29: ButterflyM

I have to use this stuff called Optifast for my pre op. It's awful and I don't need to start it until tuesday but I'm starting to have the bars for Breakfast to get used to it. (Plus it's good to have something easy for breakfast during exam week - Which is almost over!!!)

My boyfriend took me out for dinner tonight and my dad is taking me out for lunch on Sunday... Im soooooooo full now but I know I'll appreciate it this time next week!

I'm having my labs drawn this morning and my first shake after that. It says it can be mixed with Water, milk, crystal light, etc...

I wonder if I can mix it with a fuzzy navel?!?! I'm going to be cRaBby soon! LOL!

Amy

I have to use this stuff called Optifast for my pre op. It's awful and I don't need to start it until tuesday but I'm starting to have the bars for breakfast to get used to it. (Plus it's good to have something easy for breakfast during exam week - Which is almost over!!!)

My boyfriend took me out for dinner tonight and my dad is taking me out for lunch on Sunday... Im soooooooo full now but I know I'll appreciate it this time next week!

I had to see psychologist as well, but he didn't have any names in my area. Most therapists only want to deal with anorexia/bulimic.

Welcome JohnnyBoy, Butterfly, and Kevin! I will add you to the date list and repost later today.

Kevin, I was also looking for a therapist and the psychologist they required me to see pre-surgery had some good names for me...maybe you can try there?

For those of you trying to get your tickers working...use the "BBCode" text in your signature, NOT the HTML text. That worked for me.

Shauna

I just wanted to say good luck. I go in July 1st as well. Nervous and excited. Started the pre-op diet today. I was just outside of the two week pre-op diet. WHEW!

I'm scheduled for July 1. I am getting really excited now. I was nervous in the beginning, now the nerves have calmed down but I'm sure they will start up again soon!!!

Hey There,

Just looking for any July 2011 banders. I just started my process, but as that I am "self-pay", I am on a fast track to surgery. Although, not terribly obese (bmi 34), I am using lap band surgery as a tool for continued success after loosing weight. I have always been able to join a program(diet or exercise or prescription) and loose weight.....I've done it several times with several different programs (not a good thing), but I always gain the weight back and more. Now that I am in my 40s, it is harder to loose and faster to come back. No more, I say! I want to be heathy in my future - family history/genetics dictates that I will/can be using a walker or wheel chair from degenerative bones and joints, heart disease, diabetes. I am trying to steer clear of that but still keep seeing myself heading in that direction, so now is the time for further action. Although apprehensive about going under, I am reading all the good things about the lap band procedure and am hoping that it is just a little more than the tubiligation and endemetrial ablasion that I had done last year. At least, I am thinking of it that way, so as to not scare myself too badly!

Lisa B - Northern Virginia

Started my pre-op diet today. I'm feeling good, but the weekend is coming up and I have a party to go to...uh boy!

I began telling people at work that I am going for the band. The responses have been very positive except for one person. I was a bit surprised, but I didn't take it personally.

Funny, I have all these emotions going on and just yesterday I felt ashamed...embarrassed. I guess the reality of my disease kicked me right between the eyes. I kept asking myself how did I allow this to happen to me? I am 326lbs and 43 years old. When was I going to hit 400...would I even make it to 50?

First time posting here, nice to find a group like this. Surgery date is 7/5/2011, 2nd day on pre-op diet, lost 26 lbs since I started this journey 3 months ago, keeping a log of weight, food and exercise. BMI in begining 46, now 41, vary happy with progress so far. I have found Protein Shakes that I just love. A little nervous and excited at the same time.

I'm having the surgery on 7/6 and today is my first day on the liquid diet. I'm a little nervous about it (the diet and the surgery) but I'm determined to stick to it. It's just 13 days, right?

Welcome Kim and Lorelei!

Kevin, I am banding at a relatively low BMI because it was only a matter of time before getting back to a BMI of 40...I gained 30 lbs. in the past year after a 50 lb weight loss (starvation diet) the year before that. I have no doubt that I would keep on packing on 20-30 lbs a year the way I eat now. I'm glad you are doing this now.

Shauna

Started my pre-op diet today. I'm feeling good, but the weekend is coming up and I have a party to go to...uh boy!

I began telling people at work that I am going for the band. The responses have been very positive except for one person. I was a bit surprised, but I didn't take it personally.

Funny, I have all these emotions going on and just yesterday I felt ashamed...embarrassed. I guess the reality of my disease kicked me right between the eyes. I kept asking myself how did I allow this to happen to me? I am 326lbs and 43 years old. When was I going to hit 400...would I even make it to 50?

Hello!

My name is Aly and I'm getting banded on July 5th (20 days!) and I too have a BMI of 33/34.

I'm 18 years old, I know that I'm young to be undergoing this surgery, but I have lost and gained weight a thousand times since about the age of 12 and have a family history of obesity, heart disease and diabetes. I'm really excited about it but at the same time I'm nervous because I know how difficult it is (my mum had a lapband in 2008). I'm finding the weeks leading up to it difficult because I want to talk to my friends and boyfriend about it but they don't really get it... It would be great to have people to talk to who are in the same situation!

Aly - Hunter Valley, Australia

Congrats on your surgery date! Mine is July 6th, so I'll be right after you! My name is Ashly, I'm 23 and have had struggles telling my friends and family about it--most still don't know and I think I"m going to keep it that way until after surgery, only because I'm trying to limit the negativity leading up to my surgery. Do you have a pre-op liquid diet? I'm on a 2 week Protein liquid diet with a max of 1200 calories a day. My mom also was banded. It's great that we have our moms to help us out. Best of luck and keep in touch!! :)

Man, am I a bonehead. Was supposed to have a gallbladder ultrasound and my blood tests today and forgot to fast. Now I can't get in until late next week. Considering it might take a while to get back the results, I'm probably looking at a late July date instead of mid-July date like I was hoping for. Bummer!

I made this really cool spreadsheet that my friend (the skinny nutritionist distance cycler) recommended I do. It starts out with your weight and then I put in each Friday's date. I then subtracted 2 lbs for each week, to show me at my goal a week before my 40th birthday! It's really easy to modify since it is all calculations...so if I don't make my weight loss one week, I just put in the actual number and then the numbers cascade down by themselves! If anyone wants it email me at potukmail@gmail.com with your email address and I'll send to you.

Shauna

I'm having the surgery on 7/6 and today is my first day on the liquid diet. I'm a little nervous about it (the diet and the surgery) but I'm determined to stick to it. It's just 13 days, right?

My surgery date is July 6th too! :) It's coming up so soon! This is the third day of my pre op Protein Shake diet. Wednesday and Thursday I was a miserable person lol... the shakes made me gag, and I was not a happy camper. But I started to experiment with the shakes a little by adding some cinnamon and sugar (counting calories for them still of course!), strawberries, frozen rasberries, Peanut Butter (95 calories for 1 tbs) and it has made a WORLD of a difference. We'll get through this... only 11 more days! What are the requirements of your pre op diet? Good luck... we got this in the bag! :)

I need to have 2-3 shakes and a small (no carb) meal per day. That's it! She said no adding fruit to my shakes (meanie) and sugar free Jello only if I need it (I need it). I have my son's birthday party on Sunday and a mini vacation for 4th of July but I gotta stick with it! I'm heading out later today to look at getting other shakes and add some variety. I'm excited though...looking forward to a new me!

My surgery date is July 6th too! :) It's coming up so soon! This is the third day of my pre op Protein Shake diet. Wednesday and Thursday I was a miserable person lol... the shakes made me gag, and I was not a happy camper. But I started to experiment with the shakes a little by adding some cinnamon and sugar (counting calories for them still of course!), strawberries, frozen rasberries, Peanut Butter (95 calories for 1 tbs) and it has made a WORLD of a difference. We'll get through this... only 11 more days! What are the requirements of your pre op diet? Good luck... we got this in the bag! :)