Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Thanks MassMom! How is everyone today??? I got a bunch of my medical tests done yesterday (PCP signed of on me too!) and have several more this week. Man, ultrasounds, blood draws, and EGD...lots of stuff my doc wants to make sure I am healthy for this operation. Better safe than sorry, right?

amjcal, according to my surgeon he makes everyone quit smoking 30 days before surgery because it really slows down healing, so if you can quit before hand it would really help! I am a former smoker and know how hard it can be...I quit with the gum, but you could try any of the nicotine replacement therapies, which really help a lot of people.

Welcome to all the new people...hope you stay active on the thread! Keep us updated!

Yaayyy Shauna you got your ticker working!!

One another note,

I am 13 days away from being banded. However, I just found out this morning that I have a sinus infection. I have to be on antibiotics for 10 days beginning today. Do you think I this could cause sugery to be put off?

I have my official surgical pre-op next week, I'll be sure to talk to my surgeon about it then. I just wanted to you guys' opinions or see if you've any similar experiences...

Me! My surgery is scheduled for July 19th! I'm both excited and scared to death at the same time.

Hey There,

Just looking for any July 2011 banders. I just started my process, but as that I am "self-pay", I am on a fast track to surgery. Although, not terribly obese (bmi 34), I am using lap band surgery as a tool for continued success after loosing weight. I have always been able to join a program(diet or exercise or prescription) and loose weight.....I've done it several times with several different programs (not a good thing), but I always gain the weight back and more. Now that I am in my 40s, it is harder to loose and faster to come back. No more, I say! I want to be heathy in my future - family history/genetics dictates that I will/can be using a walker or wheel chair from degenerative bones and joints, heart disease, diabetes. I am trying to steer clear of that but still keep seeing myself heading in that direction, so now is the time for further action. Although apprehensive about going under, I am reading all the good things about the lap band procedure and am hoping that it is just a little more than the tubiligation and endemetrial ablasion that I had done last year. At least, I am thinking of it that way, so as to not scare myself too badly!

Lisa B - Northern Virginia

Sad news to report :(

Today I went to the doctor's office to pay (100%) for my surgery and to sign the final paperwork. Surgery was set for next Tuesday at 6AM. I was all prepared with my Protein diet stuff, my dad was here in town to go with me for extra support, etc.

And then it happened.

The "All Inclusive" package turned out to be "not so inclusive."

I was reading the brochure for the surgery center and noticed that it said if patients have CPAP machines to be sure to bring them on surgery day. I said outloud, "oh I'm glad I saw that, I wouldn't have thought to bring my CPAP." The care coordinator said, "Oh, you have sleep apnea?" Umm....yes. And I wrote that on the medical history......

He then went on to tell me that it would be an extra $1,000 because the surgery center might have to keep me overnight. Pardon me? I have MILD sleep apnea, I just saw the sleep doc last week. And what about the $13,500 that was "All inclusve?"

I was PISSED beyond belief. I had LITERALLY just paid my entire bill. He said "well...let me see what I can do." I mean..really? I told him that I picked this center out of quite a few (I've been interviewing docs for a while) because they didn't play games and add on fees. I liked the staff, the fact that the doc conducts the support groups himself, he does the fills, etc. At that point, it didn't matter whether or not there was the extra $1,000 fee. I wasn't going to have surgery at a place that added a fee 6 days before surgery!! Especially since they pride themselves in the fact that that DO NOT add on fees. I thought that TOTALLY played on my vulnerabilities. I got a full refund of my entire surgery. Thank GOD my dad was sitting next to me, or I would have said some VERY un-teacher-like words.

I sobbed the whole way home. And here I am again, at Step 1. Actually, I'm really at Step -1. I hate being a downer, but wanted to tell you guys. It took so long (mentally) to get ready for this surgery. I feel like I got slapped across the face. Actually, I think I would have preferred that. There is one funny thing here -- I went back to the bank with my cashier's check (that I had just gotten this morning) and the banker recognized me. I had to explain that I wasn't having surgery after all (with this doc at least) and told her about what I was going to have done. She was so nice and supportive (who knew?!) and wished me well. She actually got tears in her eyes! She told me, "keep your chin up, sweetie." And I replied, "All three of them."

<smiling through tears> W H A T .... A ...... D A Y !!!!

Amy

Oh Amy, I am so sorry to hear that! The good news I guess is it sounds like you have been to some other clinics already so you can pick one of those maybe? I know what you mean about the add-ons...my fills are going to be $370 each! Hope I don't need many.

MassMom, I read somewhere on the board that if someone gets sick from "above the chest", like a sinus infection or a head cold or something, that usually the surgeon will go ahead with it. Since you will be well over it by then I highly doubt you'll have any delay! Maybe call the office tomorrow to find out for sure so you don't have to wait for your appointment?

Hokdo, that is awesome, 28 pounds! I'll be happy if I lose 5 on my 10 day pre-op. Then hopefully another 10-15 in the month after the surgery. From there, my goal is 1-2 lbs. a week.

Shauna

Welcome all July Bandsters (including Nachmura) !

Re: the psych eval and nutritionist appt in person or on the phone. I agree with whoever said - the psych eval could be done over the phone (at least mine could have been) and the Nut in person because of the handouts. I, personally, couldn't rush into have the LB because I have a need to think (and think some more) about everything I do.

Amy - you poor thing !! I heard that surgeon's want people to bring the CPAP so that as they are in recovery - they can have an easier time breathing - not that you will necessarily be an inpatient. Very frustrating !

Hi All,

I am getting banded on July 1 and am starting to get nervous. I start the liquid diet on friday and am just nervous, will i be able to do it? Also getting nervous about the post-op time, because I have an 11 month old nursing infant. I am not that worried about the surgery for some odd reason. I am also plagued with the fear that what if I fail at loosing weight with the band like I have failed so many times before on different diets? Hopefully this forum helps to calm me...

I'm also nervous about all the things you mentioned, plus the surgery! Do you have a good support system at home to help with the baby? It could be hard that 1st week if not. Are they going to let you nurse after the anesthesia? Nursing may also affect what kind of pain meds you can take after the surgery so be sure and discuss that with your doc beforehand.

I was thinking of starting a list of dates and when everyone is being banded, would that be useful you think?

Shauna

Hi All,

I am getting banded on July 1 and am starting to get nervous. I start the liquid diet on friday and am just nervous, will i be able to do it? Also getting nervous about the post-op time, because I have an 11 month old nursing infant. I am not that worried about the surgery for some odd reason. I am also plagued with the fear that what if I fail at loosing weight with the band like I have failed so many times before on different diets? Hopefully this forum helps to calm me...

I'm also nervous about all the things you mentioned, plus the surgery! Do you have a good support system at home to help with the baby? It could be hard that 1st week if not. Are they going to let you nurse after the anesthesia? Nursing may also affect what kind of pain meds you can take after the surgery so be sure and discuss that with your doc beforehand.

I was thinking of starting a list of dates and when everyone is being banded, would that be useful you think?

Shauna

My in-laws live with me currently, so that is helpful in some ways but tortuous in other ways! my parents will be here the night before the surgery and leave the day after, but my dad will come with me to the surgery and my mom can help my in-laws with the two kiddos. I also have a part time nanny who has agreed to help out that day until after her normal hours and for a few hours the next day. It seems to me I should be okay with some many people helping, but I am still very nervous about it. Everyone at the office says I should be able to pick him up and care for him regulary by the next day. I can nurse him when I am no longer "dopey" and feeling up to it. They are giving me pain meds that don't interfere with it.

Have people been loosing on the pre-op liquid diet and how much?

Amy, I am so sorry to hear about this. I noticed that you are in AZ, right? You should look into True Results.. I think they operate there and Texas They are having a $9900 all-inclusive special, which is a really good price. I have my surgery scheduled on July 12. I think everything happens for a reason, so try to stay positive. This may be a blessing in disguise.

Sad news to report :(

Today I went to the doctor's office to pay (100%) for my surgery and to sign the final paperwork. Surgery was set for next Tuesday at 6AM. I was all prepared with my Protein diet stuff, my dad was here in town to go with me for extra support, etc.

And then it happened.

The "All Inclusive" package turned out to be "not so inclusive."

I was reading the brochure for the surgery center and noticed that it said if patients have CPAP machines to be sure to bring them on surgery day. I said outloud, "oh I'm glad I saw that, I wouldn't have thought to bring my CPAP." The care coordinator said, "Oh, you have sleep apnea?" Umm....yes. And I wrote that on the medical history......

He then went on to tell me that it would be an extra $1,000 because the surgery center might have to keep me overnight. Pardon me? I have MILD sleep apnea, I just saw the sleep doc last week. And what about the $13,500 that was "All inclusve?"

I was PISSED beyond belief. I had LITERALLY just paid my entire bill. He said "well...let me see what I can do." I mean..really? I told him that I picked this center out of quite a few (I've been interviewing docs for a while) because they didn't play games and add on fees. I liked the staff, the fact that the doc conducts the support groups himself, he does the fills, etc. At that point, it didn't matter whether or not there was the extra $1,000 fee. I wasn't going to have surgery at a place that added a fee 6 days before surgery!! Especially since they pride themselves in the fact that that DO NOT add on fees. I thought that TOTALLY played on my vulnerabilities. I got a full refund of my entire surgery. Thank GOD my dad was sitting next to me, or I would have said some VERY un-teacher-like words.

I sobbed the whole way home. And here I am again, at Step 1. Actually, I'm really at Step -1. I hate being a downer, but wanted to tell you guys. It took so long (mentally) to get ready for this surgery. I feel like I got slapped across the face. Actually, I think I would have preferred that. There is one funny thing here -- I went back to the bank with my cashier's check (that I had just gotten this morning) and the banker recognized me. I had to explain that I wasn't having surgery after all (with this doc at least) and told her about what I was going to have done. She was so nice and supportive (who knew?!) and wished me well. She actually got tears in her eyes! She told me, "keep your chin up, sweetie." And I replied, "All three of them."

<smiling through tears> W H A T .... A ...... D A Y !!!!

Amy

So sorry for your trouble Amy.....but I too feel all things happen for a reason. Don't give up on the decision to do this. Continue with another doctor in your area and I am sure things will go smoothly for you. Since you probably did most of the pre op tests it should be quicker for you this time. Enjoy your time with your father and maybe he can help you find a new surgeon in your area. Good Luck!

Hi Aly:

I'm Lori, will also be getting banded on July 5th. I'm turning 50 this year, and have also lost and regained lots of weight in my time. Congratulations on taking this big step to make sure you have a very healthy life. I'm battling high blood pressure, arthritis, sleep apnea and now diabetese - wish I did the surgery many years ago, but I can't change that now.

Hopefully you and your Mum will be able to help each other. I have a few friends at work who've had either Lap Band or Bypass surgery already and it's much easier to talk with them about process and my fears 'cause they really understand what we're up against.

Good luck!!

Lori (a.k.a. Harvest Farmer)

Hello!

My name is Aly and I'm getting banded on July 5th (20 days!) and I too have a BMI of 33/34.

I'm 18 years old, I know that I'm young to be undergoing this surgery, but I have lost and gained weight a thousand times since about the age of 12 and have a family history of obesity, heart disease and diabetes. I'm really excited about it but at the same time I'm nervous because I know how difficult it is (my mum had a lapband in 2008). I'm finding the weeks leading up to it difficult because I want to talk to my friends and boyfriend about it but they don't really get it... It would be great to have people to talk to who are in the same situation!

Aly - Hunter Valley, Australia

OK, just decided to make the list since I have the time, let me know if I got any of them incorrect, or if anyone wants me to add their first name to their username.

No date yet: Shauna Deanne, LisaB68, kychick1294, 30Something, lifeisjustbeginning2011 (Amy)

June 30: Nechama L

July 1: jenjaw, nancy2011, amjcal, Tracy N, xlstan, Wendy Muehleisen, ahassan

July 5: AlyGurl (Aly), MassMom01527, Allison0927, Harvest Farmer

July 6: lizzy21050, crash878905,

July 7: nesportsfan, hokdo, songbird5769

July 11: dixiechick, honeybunny, Jessica43082, hlong1985

July 12: BandedApril (April)

July 13: CurlyDiva

July 14: crystalddm

July 15: Corize

July 19: Mrs. Schultz

July 21: NomersCat, Coco's mum

July 25: cat lady

Thank you guys so much for the support. I'm going to call True Results tomorrow as April suggested. I will at least give it a try. Trying to stay positive, but gosh, it is SO hard. I'm going to write an email to the doctor (nothing hateful), but just saying how disappointed that I was, considering that they are so upfront with pricing. Still can't believe they turned down a 13.5K self pay! Their loss.

B)

Thanks for the list Shauna! I am on my 4th day of the 2 week Protein Shake diet. I had a horrible time the first few days but today I feel a lot better. How is everyone else doing on their Protein shake diet?