Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I am getting banded on July 7th. I am 30 years old and weigh 394, it looks even worse when I type it out how much I weigh but I felt good and still mobile and everything. Of course I'm fairly young so that plays into it. I'm doing this for myself and my 2 year old daughter, I want to be sure I'm around to see her grow up. I was actually put on an all liquid Protein shake diet that started on June 7th that will supposedly last until 2 weeks after surgery. It is incredibly difficult but I'm doing it. It seems like it's forever away but hopefully it's here and gone before I know it. I want to get down to 200 pounds and I know I've lost a few since starting the shakes only but I have been unable to weigh. Congratulations to everyone for making this decision in their lives.

weight.png

I have 1 week of Protein drink for one week prior. This is to reduce the liver so thta it is an easier laproscopic procedure.

I seriously think that I am the only one on here who doesnt have to do the pre-op diet. I keep reading about how much everyone one is dreading their pre-op instructions and thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I called and spoke with my surgeon's office today and asked if I should be starting soon, and they said no, just Protein shakes the day before surgery and nothing after midnight the night before. Is anyone else's doctor saying the same thing? Why do you think he is so relaxed about this?

Thoughts?...

Hey everyone,

When I posted my original statement, I checked back a couple of times, but didn't have any responses, so I haven't been on here for a couple of days. Boy, what a couple of days can do! I am now so excited about the banding and seeing you all so close to me in time and stories of concern and excitement.

I had my Pre-Op consultation with my primary care physician today, so I had 5 vials of blood taken, had an EKG & chest X-ray, scheduled for a upper GI &Abdominal sonogram next week. Will have my Nutrition class next Tuesday. Already have my cashiers check for the hospital and will pay for surgeon and anesthesioligist (sp) next week. I am set for this new journey. Now if I could only bring myself to telling other people in my family!!!! Only my husband, daughter, and Aunt know. I am not sure why I have a hard time telling my dad, I don't want him to worry. But I will in due time.

This seems to be flowing rather easy for me, as that I am a self pay, I don't have the insurance/wait time to worry about. With that, however, my doctor's support team is holding my hand the whole way, I love it.

All right, July Banders - Good luck to us and congratulations on utilizing this important tool in our future health.

Lisa B

My surgery is scheduled for July 13th whoop whoop!!!! I'm soooo excited!

Dr. James Barnes, at the Minimally Invasive Surgery Center at Christus Schumpert Medical Center will perform my surgery!

Everyone, I literally mean EVERYONE I've spoken to gives him and his wife (also a bariatric surgeon) GREAT reviews!!!

Wow Lisa, that is awesome...I have my appointment with my Primary Care Physician Tuesday and hope we can get all the pre-op requirements out of the way quickly so I can schedule my lap-band. I am worried my PCP will tell me not to get the band, but as far as I know he can't stop me either.

Hey guys, there is a special forum for July 2011 Bandsters at http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/2483-july-2011-bandsters/

Should we take our conversations over there? Then we could post new topics and not be hogging the Pre-op forum. What do you think?

I didnt have to do a liquid diet. I was told not to gain anymore weight and given a low calorie diet worksheet to start one week before surgery.

Anyone else dreading the preop liquid diet?

Hey Everyone! I'm scheduled for July 1st and very excited & nervous. I started my pre-op diet (bleh) I go in today for EKG and labs etc. Did any of you struggle with the decision of which surgery to get? Sometimes I worry that I'm disciplined enough for the lapband and should have gone with the gastric bypass....maybe I'm just have pre-surgery jitters :)

Anyway, I'm happy to have found this forum with people who are going through the same things I am. Good luck to everyone!!

T.

Greetings!

I'm private pay and getting banded in the early part of July. I've "shopped" around a lot, been to seminars, support groups, etc and have finally decided on a surgeon. I've done my homework about the surgery and ordered a ton of sample Protein shakes (I'm a SUPER picky eater, so I know I'll need a wide variety to try). I'm scheduled for the nutrition and psych evals next week and surgery the following week (most likely the first week of July). My doc requires a BMI of 49.9 for surgery, and I'm just above that (50.4), so I'll have to do the pre op diet, but only a week or so.

I'm finding myself thinking about this constantly. Is anyone else? Every bit of food that enters my mouth makes me think of the surgery. I've started to prepare myself for the shock of the lesser quantity post surgery. I take a small amount and put it on the plate and look at it. I sit there and cry because I know how difficult this is going to be. food is my best friend. The thought of leaving food on my plate or refusing to eat food that is offered to me is actually anxiety producing.

The money for my surgery was my "new car" fund. I decided that a new car wouldn't do me any good if I was dead, so I'm opting for the surgery, life and a crappy car.

Trying to keep a smile on my face during some really tough emotional times. :rolleyes:

Amy

Hi all July bansters: I too have a date for July 25th. I've been researching this for over a year. The last two days I have read some scary things about the band. One lady on this site said she got Esophogeal Cancer from her band. She has leisons that must be removed from her esophogus. She has the band for 5 years and was successful at losing but now has major problems. I know that acid reflux can cause Barretts Esophogus which can lead to cancer. Another lady developed auto immune disease (scleroderma) after 5 years with the band. She blames it on the band also and is on steroids for her disease. Said her husband got it too after being banded. Is it just me or is it possible that the band does cause some serious complications down the road??? Really re-considering my choices here. I worked so hard to get approved and get to this point but now I really don't know. Emailed Allergan who makes the lapband and they sent me all their stats.....alot of medical terms, etc. Any thoughts ? ? ?

Hi Cat Lady,

It is impossible to tell whether the band caused those things, but I do know the band has been in use for 20 years in Europe and other countries and I've not heard of any problems like that with it. I think people are quick to blame the band for everything that goes wrong with them.

Shauna

Hi all July bansters: I too have a date for July 25th. I've been researching this for over a year. The last two days I have read some scary things about the band. One lady on this site said she got Esophogeal Cancer from her band. She has leisons that must be removed from her esophogus. She has the band for 5 years and was successful at losing but now has major problems. I know that acid reflux can cause Barretts Esophogus which can lead to cancer. Another lady developed auto immune disease (scleroderma) after 5 years with the band. She blames it on the band also and is on steroids for her disease. Said her husband got it too after being banded. Is it just me or is it possible that the band does cause some serious complications down the road??? Really re-considering my choices here. I worked so hard to get approved and get to this point but now I really don't know. Emailed Allergan who makes the lapband and they sent me all their stats.....alot of medical terms, etc. Any thoughts ? ? ?

To those who haven't gotten it yet, I highly recommend a book called Bandwagon by Jean McMillan...it's on Amazon.< /p>

Shauna

On a lighter note.......my friends and I call the surgery..........the lap dance surgery LOLOLLLLLL......not that I'm looking for a change in my profession, I'm very happy as a First Grade Teacher. I am very open about my decision to have the surgery and I can not believe the positive reactions that I am getting from people. One of my friends has had a TON of success with the band. She was banded the day after Christmas and has lost 85 Lbs!!!!!!! I'm worried that she has had an extreme results with it and if I don't loose like that people will wonder what's wrong with me.!!!!! Two weeks from now I will be 2 days post op!!!!!

Hey, Lisa! I'm having surgery on July 12 and am also on the self-pay fast track! Looking forward to following your success on this journey along with my own. I'm pretty sure LapBand Talk is going to be my new addiction!

Best to you,

April

Hey There,

Just looking for any July 2011 banders. I just started my process, but as that I am "self-pay", I am on a fast track to surgery. Although, not terribly obese (bmi 34), I am using lap band surgery as a tool for continued success after loosing weight. I have always been able to join a program(diet or exercise or prescription) and loose weight.....I've done it several times with several different programs (not a good thing), but I always gain the weight back and more. Now that I am in my 40s, it is harder to loose and faster to come back. No more, I say! I want to be heathy in my future - family history/genetics dictates that I will/can be using a walker or wheel chair from degenerative bones and joints, heart disease, diabetes. I am trying to steer clear of that but still keep seeing myself heading in that direction, so now is the time for further action. Although apprehensive about going under, I am reading all the good things about the lap band procedure and am hoping that it is just a little more than the tubiligation and endemetrial ablasion that I had done last year. At least, I am thinking of it that way, so as to not scare myself too badly!

Lisa B - Northern Virginia

What's on your pre and post op shopping list? Here's mine.....care to add to it? I thought maybe we could keep a running list of helpful items. If you add something, just modify the list and repost :)

Food:

sugar free popsicles

sugar free Jello

Protein shakes

fruit juice/milk/crystal light (I LOVE the Walmart brand of crystal light)

Soup

Medical:

Gas X Strips

Scar cream or cocoa butter

Ice packs

Lip balm

OTC Pain reliever

General:

drinking straws

electronic scale

hand blender

new set of knives (nice and sharp to cut up food!)

Book, either "Band Wagon" or "Is Lap Band Surgery for Me?" (not sure yet)

small rubbermaid containers to help portion out food

food scale

That is a great list! The one thing I would add under "Medical" would be a heating pad for gas pains after surgery...they are supposed to help a lot. I believe the ice packs are for incisions, right?

I anyone else told to measure (like in a cup) their food instead of weigh it? That's what my nutritionist said in his packet. I that case, we may want to add "measuring cups" to the list.

Shauna