Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

I seriously think that I am the only one on here who doesnt have to do the pre-op diet. I keep reading about how much everyone one is dreading their pre-op instructions and thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I called and spoke with my surgeon's office today and asked if I should be starting soon, and they said no, just Protein shakes the day before surgery and nothing after midnight the night before. Is anyone else's doctor saying the same thing? Why do you think he is so relaxed about this?

Thoughts?...

Massmom,

I don't have to do a pre-op diet either just fast from midnight the night before the surgery. But I do think I will start to experiment with Protein Shakes soon so I have one that I like.

Massmom,

I don't have to do a pre-op diet either just fast from midnight the night before the surgery. But I do think I will start to experiment with Protein shakes soon so I have one that I like.

Hey Jenjaw!

I am so relieved! Trying shakes, thats what I've been doing too. My husband runs a company that distributes nutrional supplements, so I've been able to try just about everything under the sun. So far, I really like Boost Glucose Control strawberry and the Carnation Instant Breakfast chocolate.

What have you found that you like?

Hi MassMom,

It's not unheard of to not have a pre-op diet but it's pretty unusual. The reason for it (according to my surgeon) is to shrink your liver, as they have to get around it or under it to reach your stomach, and a lot of us have fatty/enlarged livers due to obesity. My doc is only making me do 10 days of the pre-op diet instead of 14 because my BMI is 33. Is your BMI relatively low? Maybe your doc is making an exception for you if so.

Shauna

I seriously think that I am the only one on here who doesnt have to do the pre-op diet. I keep reading about how much everyone one is dreading their pre-op instructions and thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I called and spoke with my surgeon's office today and asked if I should be starting soon, and they said no, just Protein shakes the day before surgery and nothing after midnight the night before. Is anyone else's doctor saying the same thing? Why do you think he is so relaxed about this?

Thoughts?...

The only thing I have tried so far is the Isopure Protein Drink that is like a grape cystal light. I love those!! I'm going to head over to GNC this weekend and see what I can find.

My nutritionist advised me that you get what you pay for and she doesn't sell anything from her office so her opinion is unbiased. She said that the higher price usually means better taste LOL!!! I'll let you know what I try and I'd love to hear what everyone else is trying!

Hi Shauna!

My BMI is 44, and when I met with my surgeon last week, he did a pretty thurough exam (external) of my stomach and liver. He did say that he was pleased with what he felt. I've been preparing since Dec/Jan and the liver shrinking is what they've been preaching all along. My WLS team put so much emphasis on losing wieght before surgery too, I've only lost 3lbs. My surgeon wasn't concerned about that either. Now that I'm less than 3 weeks out, neither seem to be a deal breaker. I think your right on target, maybe my liver isn't as enlarged and hardened as some folks.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat, thanks for the reply!

:D

The only thing I have tried so far is the Isopure Protein drink that is like a grape cystal light. I love those!! I'm going to head over to GNC this weekend and see what I can find.

My nutritionist advised me that you get what you pay for and she doesn't sell anything from her office so her opinion is unbiased. She said that the higher price usually means better taste LOL!!! I'll let you know what I try and I'd love to hear what everyone else is trying!

Jenjaw,

I think she's right, when it comes to taste...you definitely get what you pay for. I would be careful with GNC products though. Most of their products are WAY overpriced! Once you find what you like, try to get it online. Also, some stores, such as Walmart, (who acutally have ALOT to choose from) will let you buy online and ship to a store near you for free. That way you just pick up your purchase, you don't have to worry if they have what you like in stock.

One other suggestion...Glucerna has a butter pecan flavor that will do the trick when you need something different and sweet.

:rolleyes:

Hi! I'm also a self pay so my surgery was fast tracked. I go in on Friday for my Protein shakes and nutrionist visit and will have the surgery on July 1st!! I'm 39 yrs old and weigh 336lbs. I am so excited but also cautious. What I can't wait for is for the Water retention to go away!

Nancy!! We're Band buddies!!! I'm the 1st too and we are the same age!!!! I'm so excited for it to be here already. I'm a teacher and I finish school on Tuesday the 28th and on Friday I go in to be banded!! So far it looks like I have the 7:30 am appt. I want to wake up and get it over with.;)

I just got my July 6 surgery date--I'm excited and nervous all at the same time!

And I am completely dreading the 2-week liquid diet, especially since I'm going to a big July 4th party hosted by a friend of mine who's a professional chef! *sigh* I'm going to miss his cooking that day!

I'm scheduled for July 1. I am getting really excited now. I was nervous in the beginning, now the nerves have calmed down but I'm sure they will start up again soon!!!

I'm glad to find someone who is doing the operation on the same day! Definitely Band Buddies!!! Let's keep in touch..this journey of ours will be awesome!!

I think it would be great to continue our "July Banders" group going after July so that we can keep each other motivated and offer tips etc. I'm feeling anxious about the pre-op diet and will definitely need tips on different ways to touch up the shakes. Reading some of the posts has had me laughing because I thought I was the only one planning my "big dinner" the night before I begin the pre-op diet which starts this Saturday. My family will be joining me at my favorite restaurant this Friday evening to Celebrate my last "big dinner" lol.

I think the pre op 2 weeks of 3-4 Protein Shakes a day is not scaring me.. However, at my appointment on Tuesday, they told me no bread or Pasta for a year. Which I am not big on either on of those, but to really comprehend the idea is huge... I was also thinking this Friday is my last dinner night, and the next time I will chew food is like 6 weeks away.. That is a crazy concept as well... I think it is so awesome , I am so excited.. Is anyone else having thoughts like this? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Let me admit, I found out my surgery date on Tuesday, so I am having my big dinner on Friday night, (steak), and I had my last Mexican dinner this week as well. How terrible is that?? LOL!!

I think it would be great to continue our "July Banders" group going after July so that we can keep each other motivated and offer tips etc. I'm feeling anxious about the pre-op diet and will definitely need tips on different ways to touch up the shakes. Reading some of the posts has had me laughing because I thought I was the only one planning my "big dinner" the night before I begin the pre-op diet which starts this Saturday. My family will be joining me at my favorite restaurant this Friday evening to Celebrate my last "big dinner" lol.

We should definately keep the thread going!

I have to use Optifast and can have two cups of certain veggies a day for a week. I might just live on the bars though!

Anyone else have a weight loss blog?

This is mine: http://ireallyjustwanttobepretty.tumblr.com/

We will definitely keep this thread going guys! I'm also having SEVERAL last dinners at my favorite restaurants...last night was Pollo Fundido at Garcias! Best of luck to all of you starting your pre-op diets soon, give us tips on how you do it!

Shauna