Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Banded this Monday - Feb 7th

Robin, also well said. A small bite is something that you will have to determine. I am taking a half a spoon fork full as I cannot wrap my head around a pencil eraser size portion (I know, I know psych stuff). I to was worried about the gulping of Water, what I have learned in this process is as the water bottle is now my best friend and goes where I go...I do not need to gulp it down, my salt intake has declined, not so much as my food does not taste, but a slight decline and when I exercise my pal the water bottle is right there with me. I do not get so thirsty anymore as the water is right there and in order to meet my goals, I am always drinking. I take regular swallows and am learning how to take a rough estimated half swallow.

Whether to tell someone or not is up to the individual I don't think there is a wrong or a right way. I know many feel that there are those that would say "you're taking the easy way out with surgery" I say what ignorance. Those of us who have been through or are going through this process know that this is not the easy way to go. I know some have had a good time with very little step backs, but those folks (though I must admit...I am jealous) are the minority and it takes discipline and it takes fortitude to make this process work for us. I have been fortunate in that everyone at work and at home has been supportive and encouraging even those who have come up to me to ask my permission to tell me how good I look to those who during the holidays keep the christmas goodies out of my site or those that made the ultimate sacrifice and ate them before I could be tempted (God Bless them!). Right down to my DH who continues this process with me and in his own way compliments my weight loss ( Wow honey, you now have wrinkles in your behind...is a compliment that I could have lived without...LOL).

Scorpio, so am I!

I have been fortunate in that everyone at work and at home has been supportive and encouraging even those who have come up to me to ask my permission to tell me how good I look

I'm offering a dollar to everyone that comes up to tell me that. Whether its true or not. :)

to those who during the holidays keep the christmas goodies out of my site or those that made the ultimate sacrifice and ate them before I could be tempted

LOL.

(God Bless them!). Right down to my DH who continues this process with me and in his own way compliments my weight loss ( Wow honey, you now have wrinkles in your behind..

Now that's funny. Actually, I expect to have hanging skin on my behind because its very large and has been since I've been a little girl. I knew someone who'd had the Fobi pouch, had lost all her excess weight, and she had hanging skin on her behind. It is what it is. And there's always cosmetic surgery

Scorpio, so am I!

Ok -- should we go for it? I'm Oct 29th.

You can do it! I agree with everyone else, totally normal :) Just knowing I had my band put in has really changed my mind set and I was worried it wouldn't.

Mu surgery is this morning! 9:30 pacific time. I'm waiting in admitting now. Everything you say I could repeat. I worry about the end all. Loose skin, boobs, etc. The same as you. Letting go of a lot of foods, mourning my old friend food, I guess. My lap band life will be different and its okay. Its all good. I know with copliance I will do well. I'm excited that this tool, band, will help me so much more keep the weight off. That's always the hard part for me. I feel excited a little scared, but so ready. Its all going to be okay. I know I've made the right decision. I lost 10 pds with pre-op and feel healthier going in. Just so thirsty! :) love this support, so thank you for listening. Gail

my date is wed the 9th. i am so nervous. i have never had surgery other than my wisdom teeth out! i wish you ALL luck today with your surgery! i would REALLY APPRECIATE your replys with what exactly you went through step by step form the moment you walked into the hospital and when you left...if you spent the night and so on. i noticed a few people were worried about who to tell about being banded. i went through the same feelings. i chose to tell everyone who i was surrounded with AFTER i got my date. i felt like if i wasnt going to be approved what is the point of telling every one? now that everyone that i know knows, i feel comforted with their overwhelming support! yes, i have had some questions and people being negative but i just ignore it. they do NOT know what i went through with different diets,personal trainers, pills, doctors, hospitals, and so on sinc ei was 9 years old! they do not have to go through it, i do. anyway, i am so happy i found this site....i really need the support it offers since my family doesnt really understand and are not very close with me. <3

GOOD LUCK mominoc! :)

I know how all of you are feeling- iw as there last week! i am one week postop (well, tomorrow i am one week) and let me tell you, its rough... but i lost 11 lbs int he first week! :) makes it a bit more easy to digest.... pun intended

Hang in there- what you are feeling is normal and expected.

Personally i cant wait til mushies in like 11 days! ugh. thats a long time!

Hang in there all.

February is gonna be an awesome month!!

:)

As I reply you are somewhere in the process of your surgery. I was banded 11/15/10 and I was nervous beforehand. I have lost 40 lbs since surgery less than 3 months ago. I know everyones weight loss is different but I think the biggest thing is communication with your dr, especially when it comes to fills. I decided after the holidays to wait for my first fill because I wanted to see if I was really ready or if it was just the variety of foods I ate that caused my loss to slow a little. I just got my first fill last week 2cc I feel a bit of a difference but I'm already thinking I may need more. I'll have to see how the next 5 weeks go before my next appointment.

It is normal to feel scared and excited all at the same time I had the same feelings, I also couldn't wait for it to be over with already, I had been seeing the surgeon for almost 4mths already because of all the preoperative doctors and tests I needed. I feel so much better than I did and I am only halfway through the weight I want to lose. Good luck, I will be thinking of you all day hoping you have a quick recovery!

so today is my last day on full liquids, tomorrow is all Clear Liquids and Monday i'll be going in for surgery.

This is how i currently feel:

I am scared and excited. i am a little depressed this whole week being on pre-op diet. I feel so hungry and feel like i am missing out on the "fun" this weekend. I never had surgery in my life and i am scared so much that i thought about backing out. I've come to far and won't back out. i can not wait for next week when i am banded and feeling more normal.

I hate reading about the people that only loose 30-50 lbs with lap band. i dont understand why. i pray i am not one of those people. i am scared about having loose skin. I am excited to be a normal weight again, i am excited for all the compliments on how much weight i am loosing. I dont want people to ask me HOW i lost the weight. i dont know if i should lie and say i am dieting or tell people i have lapband. i am confused today and moody. I am stocked up on muscle milk and pudding and Jello and broth etc. I am dying for a real meal. I lost some weight this week and it feels good. i am staying away from friends and family this week. i cant stand when people eat in front of me. i quit smoking now for 16 days and i think i will not smoke again even after the surgery. I found i have strong will power to stick to this pre-op diet with no cheating, quit smoking, no soda or coffee this week either. i am proud of myself. i cant wait to loose the first 50lbs and fit into my old clothes that i havent fit into in over a year and half. i cant wait to be even thinner than that. I have high self esteem, always have, when i have lost weight before and was a size 9-10 i was sooo self conscience...now that i am double that size i have more self esteem, i am scared that loosing the weight may do that to me again. i cant wait to get skimpy clothes for my boyfriend. i cant wait until the summer. i am scared to loose my amazing boobs, i hope they dont sag. i am already thinking about a Tummy Tuck and boob lift next year. am i crazy?

all these things are going through my head...ANYONE FEEL ME?

so today is my last day on full liquids, tomorrow is all Clear Liquids and Monday i'll be going in for surgery.

This is how i currently feel:

I am scared and excited. i am a little depressed this whole week being on pre-op diet. I feel so hungry and feel like i am missing out on the "fun" this weekend. I never had surgery in my life and i am scared so much that i thought about backing out. I've come to far and won't back out. i can not wait for next week when i am banded and feeling more normal.

I hate reading about the people that only loose 30-50 lbs with lap band. i dont understand why. i pray i am not one of those people. i am scared about having loose skin. I am excited to be a normal weight again, i am excited for all the compliments on how much weight i am loosing. I dont want people to ask me HOW i lost the weight. i dont know if i should lie and say i am dieting or tell people i have lapband. i am confused today and moody. I am stocked up on muscle milk and pudding and Jello and broth etc. I am dying for a real meal. I lost some weight this week and it feels good. i am staying away from friends and family this week. i cant stand when people eat in front of me. i quit smoking now for 16 days and i think i will not smoke again even after the surgery. I found i have strong will power to stick to this pre-op diet with no cheating, quit smoking, no soda or coffee this week either. i am proud of myself. i cant wait to loose the first 50lbs and fit into my old clothes that i havent fit into in over a year and half. i cant wait to be even thinner than that. I have high self esteem, always have, when i have lost weight before and was a size 9-10 i was sooo self conscience...now that i am double that size i have more self esteem, i am scared that loosing the weight may do that to me again. i cant wait to get skimpy clothes for my boyfriend. i cant wait until the summer. i am scared to loose my amazing boobs, i hope they dont sag. i am already thinking about a Tummy Tuck and boob lift next year. am i crazy?

all these things are going through my head...ANYONE FEEL ME?

Hi, don't be scare just focus in exciting tomorrow all your fair will became nothing and all your dreams will came truesmile.gif

Mu surgery is this morning! 9:30 pacific time. I'm waiting in admitting now. Everything you say I could repeat. I worry about the end all. Loose skin, boobs, etc. The same as you. Letting go of a lot of foods, mourning my old friend food, I guess. My lap band life will be different and its okay. Its all good. I know with copliance I will do well. I'm excited that this tool, band, will help me so much more keep the weight off. That's always the hard part for me. I feel excited a little scared, but so ready. Its all going to be okay. I know I've made the right decision. I lost 10 pds with pre-op and feel healthier going in. Just so thirsty! :) love this support, so thank you for listening. Gail

Good luck everyone going in for banding today and later this week! I was banded on Feb 4th and doing pretty good if I do say so myself. I have slight shoulder pain from the gas, but nothing that is intolerable. I have been drinking my shakes and tolerating everything. Have felt hungry at times too, so looking fwd to the first fill!

You will be just fine! Trust me I have ALL of the same thoughts, fears, and emotions. My surgery is tomorrow and I'm a nutcase lol. Please update us on your status and have a smooth recovery :-)

Hey band sister I am feb 9 too. Stay positive.

I haven't told people very much including my family as I don't want people asking a milion questions or telling me not to get it done.

After the surgery I will tell more people like my family and close friends. Then I am scared people will keep asking me how I am doing with weight loss. I don't need to be asked or grilled from everyone.

My BFF & sister have been banded for 7 years. My BFF is my biggest support as we have been dieting together for 28 years. We also have a girls trip planned for May, which is a great goal.

Good luck band sister! I will be thinking of you & the other sisters!

K

my date is wed the 9th. i am so nervous. i have never had surgery other than my wisdom teeth out! i wish you ALL luck today with your surgery! i would REALLY APPRECIATE your replys with what exactly you went through step by step form the moment you walked into the hospital and when you left...if you spent the night and so on. i noticed a few people were worried about who to tell about being banded. i went through the same feelings. i chose to tell everyone who i was surrounded with AFTER i got my date. i felt like if i wasnt going to be approved what is the point of telling every one? now that everyone that i know knows, i feel comforted with their overwhelming support! yes, i have had some questions and people being negative but i just ignore it. they do NOT know what i went through with different diets,personal trainers, pills, doctors, hospitals, and so on sinc ei was 9 years old! they do not have to go through it, i do. anyway, i am so happy i found this site....i really need the support it offers since my family doesnt really understand and are not very close with me. <3

Ok, those of us who had it today. How did it go, how are you feeling? It was a little more difficult than I had anticipated because of few factors: I got little sleep the night before, had tremendous anxiety, (unusual for me0, and consideredd jumping off the guerny and running for it when theythey were taking me to the OR. I don't ususally have pain from surgeries, and there is some pain, not unbearable though. It's a little better tonight . Did you get a stretchy band to where around your torso? Its so supposed to make you feel a litt more comfortabl but I'm not sure. I thinks its also supposed to help keep the swelling down.

Being overly hungry causes me to be qweezy to nauseated (which I fear) and I experienced that before the surgery, which was making me more anxious. the Anesthesiologist gave me so anti-nausea meds before I went to the OR. I think it helped. After surgery, felt I needed pain relief. I panicked when they said they would be giving demerol, since I get sick from it especially on an empty stomach, but they said they do something with it where there's not that reaction any more, and they were right.

And I'm having to walk for one minute every 15 minutes to prevent clot, whicih is not quite happening that often, more like every 30min-60min. I also have to blow in that plastic toy like thing to keep my oxgen up, once every hour 6-8 times. The muscles in my chest get sore from doing that but am able to get the number up to the goal level tonight. Was a little harder when still in recovery. The nurse at the hospital said something encouraging - that what ever pain or discomfort I'm experiencing, this is the worst it will be and day by day gets easier. I'll keep you posted. So in summary, more difficult than I thought but this was because of my personal quirks, better than it could have been. I've been drinking a little Water here and there, and 3-4 super small spoons of greek yogurt. When down fine, waited 10 minutes between each one. I did begin to 'feel' when I should probably stop, and I did. I can live with this! I was so worried I wouldn't know when to stop, and get sick.

Edited by RobinLB