Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet - starving

Today was my first day for the pre-op diet I did great all day but tonight I am starving! why can you only have 2 cuos only of veggies? You would think you could have unlimited? I have had lots of Jello & broth plus my 2 shakes, 1 bar & 2 cups of veggies.

I had very similar issues when I was on my pre-op diet (10 days, only liquid all day and then at night I could have 1 - 180 calorie lean cuisine type meal) and I had to keep calories under 800.

I was starving. My Doctor explained to me that she likes to have her patient on very low calorie diets before the surgery because your stomach gets used to being hungry and stops doing the rolling growl which can speed up the post surgery healing process.

I tried to keep my eye on the prize, remember that it was so I would heal better after my surgery and then when that didnt work, I chugged zero calorie liquids.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

~KimmieLouWho

Today was my first day for the pre-op diet I did great all day but tonight I am starving! why can you only have 2 cuos only of veggies? You would think you could have unlimited? I have had lots of Jello & broth plus my 2 shakes, 1 bar & 2 cups of veggies.

I had very similar issues when I was on my pre-op diet (10 days, only liquid all day and then at night I could have 1 - 180 calorie lean cuisine type meal) and I had to keep calories under 800.

I was starving. My Doctor explained to me that she likes to have her patient on very low calorie diets before the surgery because your stomach gets used to being hungry and stops doing the rolling growl which can speed up the post surgery healing process.

I tried to keep my eye on the prize, remember that it was so I would heal better after my surgery and then when that didnt work, I chugged zero calorie liquids.

~KimmieLouWho

Edit- - - Sorry Kimmie these comments were intended for originator of thread

Well thank goodness for you cause you get to chew something, veggies and the bar. My Dr. is all liquid Optifast which tastes as good as it can but still reminds me of Metrical from the 60's-70's but not as gritty. I just finished the 1st of 5 for today and this is day 1, This is going to be really tough. Two weeks of that and because I plan to stick with it, I don't see how you can help but drop some serious poundage. Good luck to you, stick with it the goal will be worth the pain. My daughter and son in law both went through it last year she lost 125 pounds and he lost 150.

I so hear you. While I was loosing weight on my own diet; when I asked my surgeon if I would be going on a liquid diet presurgery he said "Sure if you want to go on a liquid diet to loose more weight. Let's start today." First that's not what I meant and this was was MONTHS before my surgery. He had me buy HMR 500 a medically supervised shake diet that is guess what 500 cal a day period, not even any veggies. NIGHTMARE. I did it for like 5 days lost 0 pounds and was exercising everyday for an hour (which I had been doing previously.) I became OBSESSED with eating. Five minutes after eating one shake I was counting the minutes until the next one. I was also getting this numb feeling at the back of my throat. Which is a classic symptom of food allergy (my brother has life threatening food allergies). I went to the nurse and she said if you are loosing weight on your own diet and this shake is causing you discomfort stop. So I did. NOT that I'm saying you should do that.

Are you spacing out your veggies during the day. So 2 cups could be 8, 1/4 cup Snacks. I know if will be hard to stop at 1/4 cup but just think how you can have another snack later. Soooo shake at 8, snack at 9:30, 10:30 shake at 12:00 etc which would leave you to have extra veggies at night.

My Dr is on board with the 2 week liquid plan. No chewing, no veggies.... just 5 Optifast shakes per day plus unlimited Jello, popsicles crystal light ,Water and tea! I was miserable for 3 days then it just became natural. I lost 22 lbs on that preop diet.

Was I hungry? Sometimes... but its just mind over matter and I developed the "gas and go" mentality. The liquid was fuel to keep me going. Thats it. No pleasure... no comfort. Just fuel.

I didnt see it then but it prepared me for post op which was 2 weeks of liquid and 1 week of mushies which helped alot!

Your lucky my diet is shakes broth & Jello. I'm on day 3 and doing surprisingly well I do 3 shakes 1-2 broths & some Jello. The doctors must know what their talking about because I'm already down 6 lbs in 2 days!

Same here! You have it easier :) Shakes and broth/jello only here. The goal is to shrink the liver to make surgery easier and to view your anatomy better. My nutritionist also said this way there is more compliance with the diet haha

Thanks - that makes sense now. Yes, I am keeping my eye on the prize. Thanks for the motivation!

K

~KimmieLouWho

It is kind of like waiting for Christmas when you are a kid. I want these next 13 days to fly by!

K

Edit- - - Sorry Kimmie these comments were intended for originator of thread

Well thank goodness for you cause you get to chew something, veggies and the bar. My Dr. is all liquid Optifast which tastes as good as it can but still reminds me of Metrical from the 60's-70's but not as gritty. I just finished the 1st of 5 for today and this is day 1, This is going to be really tough. Two weeks of that and because I plan to stick with it, I don't see how you can help but drop some serious poundage. Good luck to you, stick with it the goal will be worth the pain. My daughter and son in law both went through it last year she lost 125 pounds and he lost 150.

I better today working through the hunger. It is at night as I am not busy with work & multi-tasking. When is your surgery date?

K

Same here! You have it easier :) shakes and broth/jello only here. The goal is to shrink the liver to make surgery easier and to view your anatomy better. My nutritionist also said this way there is more compliance with the diet haha

Today I was better at spacing it out. I eat veggies throught the day. I cooked a wack of spinach to satisfy me and give me lots of vitiamins. My husband is doing it with for support - just the diet part with shakes... I just want him eating stuff I would want. Thanks for your ideas & support!

K

I so hear you. While I was loosing weight on my own diet; when I asked my surgeon if I would be going on a liquid diet presurgery he said "Sure if you want to go on a liquid diet to loose more weight. Let's start today." First that's not what I meant and this was was MONTHS before my surgery. He had me buy HMR 500 a medically supervised shake diet that is guess what 500 cal a day period, not even any veggies. NIGHTMARE. I did it for like 5 days lost 0 pounds and was exercising everyday for an hour (which I had been doing previously.) I became OBSESSED with eating. Five minutes after eating one shake I was counting the minutes until the next one. I was also getting this numb feeling at the back of my throat. Which is a classic symptom of food allergy (my brother has life threatening food allergies). I went to the nurse and she said if you are loosing weight on your own diet and this shake is causing you discomfort stop. So I did. NOT that I'm saying you should do that.

Are you spacing out your veggies during the day. So 2 cups could be 8, 1/4 cup Snacks. I know if will be hard to stop at 1/4 cup but just think how you can have another snack later. Soooo shake at 8, snack at 9:30, 10:30 shake at 12:00 etc which would leave you to have extra veggies at night.

My BFF lost 150 lbs said the same thing! Thanks for all your support!

K

My Dr is on board with the 2 week liquid plan. No chewing, no veggies.... just 5 Optifast shakes per day plus unlimited Jello, popsicles crystal light ,water and tea! I was miserable for 3 days then it just became natural. I lost 22 lbs on that preop diet.

Was I hungry? Sometimes... but its just mind over matter and I developed the "gas and go" mentality. The liquid was fuel to keep me going. Thats it. No pleasure... no comfort. Just fuel.

I didnt see it then but it prepared me for post op which was 2 weeks of liquid and 1 week of mushies which helped alot!

My Dr is on board with the 2 week liquid plan. No chewing, no veggies.... just 5 Optifast shakes per day plus unlimited Jello, popsicles crystal light ,water and tea! I was miserable for 3 days then it just became natural. I lost 22 lbs on that preop diet.

Your surgeon must be Dr. Aguila? I'm on the same thing......Wed was my first day and here I am up at 3something can't sleep bc of a horrible headache.....i'm drinking some low sodium broth to see if it will help but I'm feeling miserable.

So, people who can actually eat.....be thankful....

On my pre-op diet I was only allowed 3 Protein Shakes, crystal light, Water, sugar free Jello, and broth. That's it! I wish I could have had veggies or a bar! I lost 20 lbs pre-op and it set me off to a great start. I'm happy now that I did as well as I did on my pre-op diet. I know that you feel like you're starving and I'm sorry that you do; you just need to remember that this has to be done. This is a great test of self control and practice for what's to come with the band.

Your surgeon must be Dr. Aguila? I'm on the same thing......Wed was my first day and here I am up at 3something can't sleep bc of a horrible headache.....i'm drinking some low sodium broth to see if it will help but I'm feeling miserable.

So, people who can actually eat.....be thankful....

Dr. Aguila is doing mine on 02/10/2011 I wish I had the had the will power he had to lose weight. He's trim now but I couldn't seem to keep pounds off like he has and like he says this is just a tool to help you succeed you still have to work at it and be aware of your real nutritional needs. But right now... at only day two of the 5 shakes a day thing...I'd love a salad - plain, no dressing, no meats, no cheese - just a feeling of something in the ol' tummy. :P