Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap drs in houston area

Guest slimtonya

I was banded by Dr Spivak on November 21 and was self-pay. His fee for self-pay is $15,000. That does not include any pre-op testing but it does include fills for 1-2 years. (I cant recall how many years of free fills that includes; someone told me one year, but someone else said that, if you lose a certain number of pounds the first year, any fills the second year are also free.) You can do a google search for "Hadar Spivak" and find his webpage; he's one of the few doctors who posts his prices on the internet.

I got financing through Capital One and Dr Spivak's office took care of all the paperwork.

I understand that Dr Spiegel charges more for self-pay, but cost is not the reason I chose Dr Spivak. I wanted the most knowledgeable surgeon and I felt so fortunate to live in the same city as one of the best in the country. Dr Speigel advertises, on TV, that he's done more lapbands than anyone else; however, after a doctor's done a few hundred lapbands, I dont think it matters whether he's done 5,000 or 10,000. What matters is his knowledge and his artistry. Dr Spivak doesnt pat himself on the back and he doesnt brag about himself; someone who works at the Surgery Center told me that almost any surgeon can do lapband surgery successfully but that it takes a really good surgeon to do bypass successfully. Dr Spivak is recognized as an expert in bypass surgery nationally and that's the experience I wanted in my lapband surgeon. Maybe my lapband surgery wasnt complicated but I wanted the best doctor in case something went wrong.

Too, my personal experience is that Dr Spivak isnt in this JUST for the $$$. I was willing to have bypass and even told him that I was open to it. All he had to do was say "ok" and he'd have pocketed an extra $10,000-15,000. But he gently advised that he thought the lapband was better suited for me. I dont think Dr Speigel does bypass so I'd have expected him to say that, but I was very impressed with Dr Spivak's willingness to "bypass" the extra $$$ because he felt I could lose my weight with the less invasive procedure.

I'm really happy that I starting reading some of the threads because I had no idea about any of these doctors. I went to Dr. Spiegel's consultation today, and i felt like a herded animal. After reading all these threads- i agree!!! I left feeling so scared that this was all a numbers game to them-with absolutely no real concern for me or anybody in that room.

So, now I am researching Dr. Spivak and planning on going to his seminar thing tomorrow. Are there any other ways to research these doctors? Especially after I just found out that in committing to one surgeon, you are more than likely going to have to go to that office for refills, I really want to research this decision.

Thanks.

I was cash pay with Spiegel, so I didn't wrestle with the insurance. My plan doesn't cover any kind of obesity surgery, and I don't really qualify for it anyway.

Nana, are you talking with Melisa? She's the one who deals with insurance from what I understand.

Unfortunately, with Spiegel, you can't play the "I'll just go with another doctor" card. He doesn't care! He had people lined up out the door, so he really isn't interested in impressing his patients or treating them right.

I have YET to speak with Melissa. BUT, today I find out that Spiegel is no longer accepting Aetna.....

GRRRREEEAAAATT!!! Now that I've got proof that meets their criteria.

SOoooo, I call Spivak's office to find out that he won't operate on anyone who DOES meet Aetna's "criteria".

It seems the "criteria" for lapbanding is a list of reasons why you wouldn't be a good candidate for gastic bypass.....and according to Spivak, those same reasons mean you also wouldn't be a good candidate for lapbanding.

So NOW what.....?

Should I just give up...?

Are there any other good LapBand surgeons in Houston?

Anca,

The problem I have with the Inomed list is that it's kind of out-of-date.

After going through all those steps (it's way too many) then the information isn't as strong as it could be.

Some of those docs do not actually do LapBands - and some newer docs that do LapBands and fills aren't listed.

I know it's a challenge to keep a current list so hopefully some local Banders will be able to add/change/correct that list as needed.

I just want to see if anybody else has had this problem.

1. You do a self pay and the company mails the Dr. a check for

$15,000, and then the staff tells you, you should of asked for

$16,000 to cover the fee that they are suppose to be paying.

2. You go for the surgery, lets not forget I payed the extra out of

my pocket to the staff, and then right before being brought into the

surgery your asked to pay what you already payed the day before.

OOPS, his staff messed up again. And he almost didn't do the surgery

after I have been given the medicine to put me to sleep.

3. Your told to come back in three weeks for the first fill. Sorry

his staff says, they are booked. Well, I tryed to make the appt.

when I came back after the first week for the staff to look at me

after the surgery.(Not the Dr.to look at me, the staff) I'm told no

problem getting in for the fill, just call when it is time and make

the appt. Well we know that is not true now. I make the appt. for a

month and couple of days after the surgery.

4. I get a call today, we have to cancell your appt. for the day

that you were going to come in. He is over booked I take it. I need

to come at a later date.

Can anybody out there guess who this is? And has anybody out there

had this PROBLEM?

Is anyone around the woodlands / spring area? We should try and hook up to chat.

I'm in The Woodlands. But I spoke to my PCP last week about band doctors, I'm still in the process of deciding on who to go with, and he highly recommended Dr. Spivak. My PCP has dealt with surgeons in The Woodlands, Conroe, and 1960 for many years. He says Spivak is the best for banding in Houston. I have to go self pay too, but I value my PCP's advice. He said he's had patients who have had bands with Spivak and done wonderfully. He also said he had a patient who had complications with Spiegel and that Spiegel acted insulted that the patient would complain.

I worked with doctor's offices for many years, and am still in the medical field. I have always judged a doctor by this staff and the way they treat patients. Yesterday I spoke with Dr. Spivak's office. I called to ask them some questions about the surgery and payment. They were super informative. Never once was I put on hold to find an answer to a question I had. The lady I talked to knew everything I needed to know. I was completely impressed.

Go with Spivak. I have never met him or talked to any of his staff. But if you read the board, you will see he is very much a great doctor. I did not do my research before I chose Dr.Spiegal. It is hard to get any help from him or is staff. Please remember that. Do the homework on him.

I just met Dr. Spivak yesterday at one of his seminars. His staff was very friendly and extremely informative. Dr. Spivak himself was wonderful. He does not push bypass surgery at all, simply gives you all the facts on both types of surgeries. It was my impression that he prefers the lap band system. I was only given a low fat diet to follow, and nothing was mentioned about following a liquid diet pre-surgery.

I was told my insurance was one of the easiest to work with, and those that qualify are not denied so I am very excited!! Now I just need to get that final approval and set my date.

hey roxanneroll,

i met with dr. spivak friday. we scheduled the surgery for march 13...yippieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

mrycrltn...the self pay is 15K, and dr. spivak gave me an itemized list of what the 15k covers. (which is everything i can think of concerning the surgery) he did tell me that any pre-op testing would be at my cost, but that he would provide the list of required pre-op testing and i could take it to my pcp and the pcp could order the tests, and my insurance would cover it. luckily, i did not require any pre-op testing at all.

good luck to you on your journey...

Being on liquids after your surgery is to make sure that you do not tear your stitches b/c you have people out there that think they can still have a hamburger two days after surgery. I do not know who she met or what office it was, but I have never heard of such a thing. Dr. Spiegel does pick and choose who he does surgery on. I know I have known people that have been turned down.

I too was banded by Dr. Spivak, I actually didnt check any other doctors because when I went to the seminar and spoke with him I was satisfied with everything. I did self pay and I can see the amount has grown..I paid 12,500.00 for my surgery with one year fills included....I was banded November 2004. I am very pleased with Dr. Spivak and all of his staff. I actually went for my latest fill in January 2006 and it is amazing how professional all his staff can be, but they are also interested in how you are doing with everything.

Dr. Spivak is absolutley fabulous! I have said it so many times on this site. I love him so much! He is an absolute doll. Greatest bedside manner EVER!!! Very caring and understanding. Has a sense of humor which is a bonus for me!!! You can not go wrong with him. And his staff, please. They are wonderful! There is not one negative thing that can be said in my opinion about him. If you have ANY questions, please feel free to send me a private message or email me at one of my email addresses listed on my profile.

www.bandmd.com