Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap drs in houston area

Guest slimtonya

Spiegel banded both myself and my mom last year. The man is a complete pompous ass, but he's a surgical artist. He's done the most lapbands in Houston (over 3,000) and has had zero erosions. He's blunt and his business seems more like a factory, but I have no complaints about him as a surgeon. Additionally, he bands people who have as little as 40 pounds to lose, and I'm not sure if Spivak does the same.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend Spiegel to anyone, but that has more to do with the fact that I wouldn't recommend this procedure. However, he's the only band doctor I've dealt with, and as far as the surgery goes, I've been satisfied.

Does anyone have PHCS/Benefit Planers and had them pay?? I am considering Spivak as well but the impression i got is that you can not see the dr until you have done all the necessary pre surgery stuff is it true???

My husband and I went to see Dr. Spiegel last Saturday. I thought his seminar was very good. I liked him a lot and so did my husband. I also like the fact that all he does is lapbands now. He was very friendly and his staff was great. We have talked to his office a couple of times since then and they have been very nice and helpful. We are waiting for UHC to switch their approval from Spivak to Spiegel.

I would have waited for Spivak if I could, but they did not offer much hope that he would change his mind. UHC sent me a letter stating that they will pay 100% of my surgery. Spivak and UHC just don't agree on what $$ 100% is. I just don't have the $5,000 up front that Spivak wants. I don't see any way of getting the funds any time soon (next year or so) either. In the meantime - my health continues to decline.

I think Dr. Spiegel will be a good surgeon. He told me he is not a hand-holder. He goes for results and having the lapband will be more like boot-camp. My hubby and daughter will do the hand holding.:)

I called Dr. Spiegel's office the other day and explained what happened at Dr. Spivak's. They had received similar phone calls from several others. The people on the phone seemed very friendly. We are going to one of his seminars tomorrow and a consultation visit. Dr. Spiegel is going on vacation April 1st. He will be gone until April 22nd. She said they would be glad to have me as a patient and are trying to get me in for surgery in the next week or so, so I won't have to wait until he comes back. I really liked Dr. Spivak and I'm disappointed in not using him, but hopefully I will like Dr. Spiegel also.

Can anyone tell me anything about him?

Hi I was banded by Dr.Spiegel on Wed March 22 and he did great. I cant say enough. I feel like i was treated very professionaly yet very personal.

I was very pleased. And Friday post op was my most difficult day. My husband and I called him Friday eve. he immediatly called me back and was very reassuring. Hope it works out for you...

Thanks for the positive feedback. My husband phoned them for me earlier today. The lady in the office was really nice and said she would call the insurance company today and try to get them to fax over the approval. (I'm too chicken to call myself) Oh - the waiting is awful. I am counting on this so much! If it doesn't work out, I will be terribly disappointed.

So, do you feel pretty much back to normal now? How is the liquid diet going?

I asked about Dr. Ferrari. Has anyone had any band experience with him?

I was banded by Dr. Ferrari 2/27/06. I found him to be a very good, kind and caring dr. I would highly recommend him. I go for my 1st fill this Friday, 4/7 and am looking forward to it alot.

Donna

I had my consult with Dr.Ferrari two weeks ago. I really liked him. I also received alot of information from him before my first appointment.

I hope to hear from my insurance company soon.

I had been approved through Dr. Spivaks office, so I hope it will not take much longer to get approval.

Dr. Ferraris office has been very understanting and helpful with my million questions.

I am really excited and also a bit nervous. The only surgery I have ever had was on my arm when I broke it. ...but this site has been wonderful. It has answered questions that I did not even know to ask yet.

Caron

I had dr speigal so my surgery and his "cattle call" fill appointments take up to 5 weeks to even get you in. Does anyone know someone who can take me as a new patient? email me please

Hey everyone! I just joined this group and think it's great! I was banded ny Dr. Spiegel in April of 2005. By November I was at my goal weight :clap2: . I flew in from NY specifically to have my surgery done by Dr. Spiegel. There were 2 deciding factors, first I spoke to several people who used him and second Lap Band is the only weight loss surgery he performs. Any Dr. who puts all his eggs in one basket must be great at it and believe in it very much. I flew home the day after my surgery and went to work right after that. I have been back three times since then for fills. I think Dr. Spiegels office was very courteous both pre-op and post-op. I've read in some of the posts that Dr. Spiegel is cocky, but I think it's more confidence then cockiness, he truly is amazing. I for one have gushed to Dr. Spiegel and about him to anyone that will listen LOL, that's bound to give anyone an ego boost. He has truly changed my life I have never been so thin and so happy. Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in :)

Vergie,

Glad to hear of your success. So often we dwell on all the problems someone has and forget all of the positives. There is no doubt Dr. Spiegel is an excellent surgeon. That is why I was willing to put up with some attitude and craziness from the office. However, now that he no longer going to accept UHC my out of pocket expenses have risen to close to $8,000 ($4,500 for him and $2,900 for surgicenter). I am exploring another doctor who is more willing to work on the financial side of it, while doing the surgery at the surgicenter. If that doesn't work then I'll continue with Dr. Spiegel. We need you around this site to keep the positive energy flowing about lapband surgery!

Thanks for the positive feedback and good luck to you. I paid cash for my surgery and in retrospect I would have paid Dr. Spiegel double LOL. I have a new lease on life. Have a great time on your cruise.

I was banded by Dr. Spiegel on April 27th. Things have gone really well so far. I am really sticking to his instructions and I feel great. I have lost 11lbs so far. I feel like I am on a new journey and extremely excited about it. It occured to me that I have been overweight for so many years that I don't remember how if feels to be a normal size. I can't wait!!!!

Ten claps for Dr.Spiegel and his staff. Don't believe I could have found a better doctor or office staff.