Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap drs in houston area

Guest slimtonya

Dr. Ferrari did an RNY on my good friend 3 years ago. At that time, he wasn't doing the band. She had a great experience and really liked him, but doesn't do any follow up because RNYers don't really need it.

Ok, I think I'm having a conversation with myself. I could have sworn that someone above asked about Dr. Ferrari, but now I can't find that post! So there's your unsolicited advice of the day.

I called Dr. Spiegel's office the other day and explained what happened at Dr. Spivak's. They had received similar phone calls from several others. The people on the phone seemed very friendly. We are going to one of his seminars tomorrow and a consultation visit. Dr. Spiegel is going on vacation April 1st. He will be gone until April 22nd. She said they would be glad to have me as a patient and are trying to get me in for surgery in the next week or so, so I won't have to wait until he comes back. I really liked Dr. Spivak and I'm disappointed in not using him, but hopefully I will like Dr. Spiegel also.

Can anyone tell me anything about him?

i had my surgery with dr. spivak on monday. i absolutely adore him. i had originally been scheduled with spiegel, but started doing further research on him, not as a surgeon, but as a caring person. my conclusion is that this man is an excellent, gifted, talented surgeon. however, i have found only a few people who are satisfied with his aftercare. if i were in your situation, i would be upset about not being able to to have the surgery with spivak, but i would not be too very apprehensive about dr. spiegel doing the procedure. just educate yourself, as i am sure you already have, and prepare yourself for the journey of a lifetime. good luck, and i hope you are able to peacefully make your way to bandland.

Originally when I was approved for RnY bypass, I was scheduled to have Dr Carlos Ferrari as my surgeon. Once I decided to persue LapBand surgery, he was no longer an option as he did not perform the surgery at this time.

He is very experienced at RnY and has done scores of them successfully. He is however, newer to the LapBand but as an experienced bariatric surgeon he should adapt and succeed once he becomes more experienced in the procedure.

If you are interested in reading some reports on his surgical skill in general, check out the legions of his RnY patients that have posted on ObesityHelp*com website.

He has fewer LapBand patients so it might take some time until more info on his Lap Band work is available.

Now, having said that - My only concern with Dr Ferrari is his choice of facilities. Luckily with a LapBand, most surgeries can be handled on an outpatient basis. This is good because the facilities he uses for surgery are consistently rated lowest on all the major rating systems.

Good Luck and Happy Band Journeys to all,

New Sho

I have noticed that due to the insurance ordeal... a lot of you are considering Spiegel over Spivak...

I know a you are all anxious to have surgery... but why did you choose Spivak in the first place? You are going to throw that all aside to have surgery faster with someone else?

I am sure there are a lot of people that are pleased with Spiegel, but my friend is going thru a huge ordeal with him right now. Just do your research, and talk to others that have used Spivak and Spiegel. Surgery is nothing to rush into as I am sure you all know.

I really hope that for all of you, the Lap Band is a success and the Dr. you choose is the right one for you.

Honestly good luck and best wishes to all of you!!!

I never thought Dr. Spiegel was a "caring" doctor. I thought more that his track record was good. That was my driving concern. A caring doctor wasn't going to help me if my band slipped. Or sentiments something like that. My impression of Dr. Spiegel was one of generating revenue and lots of it. I stated that before. Now I am second guessing my decision. I could get it done with another Doctor that uses a facility my insurance covers. My concern is I want less complications after surgery and a surgeon who has done more successfully may be better. Guess now I have to rethink my thinking.

Dr. Spiegel banded me. He and his staff was very helpful. Everytime I called they returned my call. It did take about 6 weeks to get approved by my insurance company (UHC).

I set through Dr. Spivak's seminar also. He and his staff was also very helpful but He was not a network providor of my insurance. His cost is 5,000 for surgery and 10,000 for the hospital for self pay.

That's exactly my situation. Same insurance (UHC). I found a Dr. at Methodist which is better paying, but not as much experience. I am leaning for the experience and will get "caring" from DH. :)

FYI - Spiegel and Spivak are partners in the Surgical Center where they do lap banding. Spiegel only does lap bands. Spivak does lap bands and gastic bypass.

I've been told that UHC covers Spiegel as In Network, but not the surgical center. Dr. Spivak is out of network as of last week. So confusing.

I think if I ever had to go to Mexico for surgery (I prefer something closer) that the ONLY surgeon I would consider is Dr Rumbaut.

He's one of the original and best LapBand surgeons in the world, has a LapBand himself (so he really understands what LapBand patients go through, which even some of the best Weight Loss Surgery doctors do not always relate to), is very surgically skilled, considerate, charming, handsome (OK, that's not really important surgically but I thought I'd stick that in - see some pics of him here and here ) and has a very impressive success rate with his patients. He banded quite a few people I knew, including a pal of mine who lost 100# and absolutely has kept it off since surgery. He is without a doubt one of the best LapBand surgeons around and his facility in Monterrey is head-and-shoulders above other Mexican hospitals.

That said, I would probably be more comfortable with getting Banded a bit closer to home so for my friends/colleagues that are considering self pay in Mexico, I also have them research the Wish Center in San Antonio which (although is it not as experienced as Dr. Rumbaut's group) is closer and cheaper for many self pay patients. The full LapBand program with 1overnight stay is $10,700 cash. They also have a Band Fill program for non-Wish Center patients which I've heard is very good. (No I'm not affiliated with them in any way but I know San Antonio is a heck of a lot easier to get to than Mexico for most Houstonians.)

So if it had to be Mexico for me, no one else but Rumbaut. But I'd consider my closer, in-state choices first. That's just one Bandsters' opinion.

Happy Band Journeys To All...