Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap drs in houston area

Guest slimtonya

Hello All!

I went to Dr. Spivak's seminar last night. He was not available. A girl named Bobbie gave the seminar. I was totally scared of everything until the seminar, but now I feel really positive. I have my first appointment with Spivak on the 17th. I hope he will do the surgery. I have a BMI of 40 and I'm a diabetic. I called my insurance company today and they do cover the surgery if I match the criteria. I don't know what the criteria is yet. We were told that United Healthcare was a good company to have. I'm glad to read all the great feedback on Spivak.

:typing:

Thank you Heather. I did a lot of reading yesterday. Some of the stuff I read scares me to death. I thought the seminar was really informative but I've read about some problems that could come up that I have not heard of before. I have started making a list of questions. Part of me is really excited and the other part of me is scared. I guess this is normal?!? ;)

Diana,

You must take everything you read here with a grain of salt. There are some horrible things that have happened to some, but it doesn't mean it will happen to everyone. I was the same as you before I had it done. I read some of the posts and thought what in the world am I doing? One quick call to Dr. Spivak's office and my mind was at ease. THat is a great idea to write down all of your questions, let the Dr. ease your mind.

I have been working with Dr. Spivaks office since November to puch lap-band through with my insurance company. I finally got approval and called to schedule my proceedure. Even though I was approved by my insurance and dr. Spivak is an in network provider, I was told that I would need to have $5000 paid to Dr. Spivak before the proceedure. I was NEVER told this before the phone call to schedule the proceedure. His office explained that he was not happy with reimbursement from UHC. I feel that if he is unhappy with UHC he should get out of his contract. I should of been informed of this problem BEFORE the day I called to schedule.

I am really disappointed that Dr. Spivak chose to sign a contract with United Health Care and then, because he was unhappy with the contract, turned around and decided not to accept assignment. It is dishonest.

I am now looking for a new surgeon. Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Ferrari?

I ran into the exact same thing with Dr.Spivak offfice on Monday:embarassed:

I did all my preop testing last Thursday and when I called on Monday

to schedule my appointment I was told the same exact thing. The wind was knocked right out of me. However, I did go see Dr.Spiegel last night and I was pleased. I am hoping to preceed. I have UHC. as well. It was such a disappointment. As you know. Good Luck I will keep you posted.

have you spoke directly to Dr. Spivak? Sometimes the folks handling the administrative functions in the office do not accurately portray a doctors true intentions. I would ask to speak directly with him. He is a wonderful man, wonderful surgeon. It would be really unfortunate for you miss out on a wonderful experience with him.

btw, i have heard nothing about Dr. Ferrari.

Is 5000 your co-pay? I am self pay and the fee i had to pay Dr. Spivak was 5800, then 9200 to the surgicenter.

good luck, i hope it all works itself out!!!

Hello All!

I went to Dr. Spivak's seminar last night. He was not available. A girl named Bobbie gave the seminar. I was totally scared of everything until the seminar, but now I feel really positive. I have my first appointment with Spivak on the 17th. I hope he will do the surgery. I have a BMI of 40 and I'm a diabetic. I called my insurance company today and they do cover the surgery if I match the criteria. I don't know what the criteria is yet. We were told that United Healthcare was a good company to have. I'm glad to read all the great feedback on Spivak.

:typing:

i don't know much about the insurance part of it, but dr. spivak banded me yesterday, and i have 38 bmi, and absolutely great health. i didn't have to have any pre-op testing. i told him i wanted to lose the weight to improve my quality of life. he said ok, asked a few questions, and told me to schedule it...and here i am one day into bandland, hurting a little:faint: , but very glad i followed through with this!!!:clap2:

My policy covers the procedure 100% My co-pay is $250. This is waived because I am a hospital employee. Dr. Spivaks office is saying that he made the decision to be paid in cash before the surgery and that I could have what the insurance company paid him. All network doctors only receive a portion of what they charge. That is a known fact before they sign a contract with an insurance company. According to UHC, it is against policy for Dr. Spivak to ask an insured to pay up front as long as he is under contract with UHC as an in network provider.

hmmm, i am not sure what to tell you. but i can say that Dr. Spivak is a very sincere man. I hope this works out for you, regardless of which doctor is used.

I also have UHC. I called them and I'm covered. I have been dealing with Dr. Spiegel. I expect that they will want their 20% upfront that the insurance doesn't pay. To expect the patient to pay the difference between what they said they would take for In Network is not right. I hope Dr. Spivak is not aware of this and that his front office has made a mistake. I am surprised at the unusual way these Doctor's view the surgery and the cost. It does make you believe this is a money making machine and we are the machine!

I am sitting here on the verge of tears. I just called Dr. Spivak's office and they want $5,000 from me too. I just don't have it. I just went for my upper GI yesterday and had my blood work done last week. I don't understand how they can do this when they have already agreed to do the surgery. I have a letter from their office congratulating me that my insurance had been approved, like it was a done-deal. I really wanted to use Dr. Spivak because I thought he was the best. I am so upset, I have felt like this was my last chance to get healthy.

Dr. Spiegel did my surgery and his is great. UHC is a great ins. There is no way you should have to pay that much with ins. I would give Dr. Spiegels office a call. UHC only takes about two weeks to get you approved and you can have surgery within a week of getting your letter. Dr. Speigel office number is Houston is 713-960-0003. Tell them Amanda sent you. If you have any questions just email me.

Amanda

NCottrell, I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you. I promise you will get good results with Dr. Spiegel. Please let me know if you need any support or have any questions.

Amanda

my share of the copay to Dr. Spivak was $1500, and I was required to pay $500 up front, they said I could break it down into three separate payments. I found them extremely easy to work with, but I also have a different insurance company as well. Good luck to you!