Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still hate my band

I think it's safe to assume that if we deal with constant, abnormal hunger despite having just eaten, that there is something different about our internal anatomy which doesn't allow the food to put enough pressure on the vagus nerves. No, it's not because we've stretched our stomach. We need the band to help do what normal people take for granted.

So it's safe to assume that even with the band, there are some people who still might not get the pressure on the vagus nerves and, even when they're so overfilled they can't eat anything, they're still hungry.

According to my surgeon, the band does not work for everyone...but there's no way of identifying who those people are before they're banded.

After reading through this whole thread I would have to say I loved reading your response the most! Great advice and information!

The band is what you make of it. I have been banded since 2005. I have lost over 150 pounds from my preband weight, had three beautiful babies.. one of which I gained and lost 60 pounds with, and I also gained and lost with both of the other ones. My 2nd pregnancy I caused a hernia and my band to slip from morning sickness. I chose to have it replaced. It was replaced in July and Ive lost about 50 pounds since then.

There is a few things that many people dont realize.....

-There are different band sizes... some require more fills than others.

-There are different band types... the two different types handle fills and restriction differently.

-Fills aren't universal. Many people can get 1 cc (or even more) each fill. Some people an barely handle 1/8th of a cc at a time. This is one reason you need to take control of the wheel and tell your surgeon what you want and need. I've often had to tell the physician assistant I want more than she was going to give me, and a few times I had to tell her that would be too much. They don't know your body and you need to ask questions, know what they are doing before they are doing it so you can be involved in the decision.

-Different surgeons (or physician assistants) have different views and opinions. Some are more helpful than others and some know more than others. If you are not 100% honest with them when you go in for a fill then you aren't doing either of you any good.

-Your port won't go out if you get a lot of fills or unfills.. at least I can tell you 14 isn't a lot or anything close to needing to worry.

-The person giving you a fill should be checking for leaks every time you get a fill. They do this by pulling the liquid out and measuring the whole amount they put back in. This should be listed in your records.

As a veteran bandster I can tell you one thing. The beginning is the worst. Everyone hates their band at times and most everyone loves it the rest of the time. I would not have lost as much as I did if it weren't for my band and I tried for 6 years to get pregnant before my first year post-op.

There is a sweet spot.. for many people it isnt as easy as two fills. I have lost count on how many fills/unfills I've gotten over the years. Even now I can get 1/4 of a cc and it send me in a spiral to need an overfill. Even though days before that 1/4 of a cc I could eat anything I wanted..

As far as what you can and cant eat, it depends on your fill... period. There has been times I can't eat cheeseburgers or pizza and others that I can eat a whole thing!! the first year was the worst and since then I learned to listen to my band and listen to my body. I would say a good year and a half before I even really knew what that meant.

Do I eat better? Absolutely.. I still tend to eat the foods I use to love, just in smaller portions. I was told that by my surgeon.. and it's proven to be true (for 5 years now) I rarely get sick unless I have to tight of a fill, I'm not chewing enough or I ignore my body and overeat. It does NOT happen often!

It is a tool. If you aren't willing to learn to listen to your body and make the most out of this tool that you have received you won't be successful. That includes talking to your surgeon and finding support. if your surgeon isn't giving you what you need to be successful, find a new one.

You have to ask yourself what you wish to get out of this journey and what it will take to make it happen. The band does fail some people but as a veteran bandster who has ups and downs with the lapband I have to wonder to what extent can the lapband be blamed?? My ups and downs were 80% my fault and 20% of the band. I was rebanded a week after my initial surgery because of an artery and needing a different size band and then my band was replaced after it being slipped for 2 years. I fail and do bad when I don't listen to my body and do my best.

I will tell you one thing as someone whos gone through this journey long term if you don't get your Protein in you will NOT be successful. If I stop doing Protein Drinks I stop loosing. If I add them back in I start loosing again. The more I do protein drinks (in addition to eating --- usually whatever I want to eat) the more weight I loose.

You have to do something to change the things you want to be changed. there are sacrifices, but usually it isn't forever. If you want to buy something you need to save up for it... that doesnt mean you have to save forever. I hope I don't offend anyone but honestly there are some things that just aren't accurate or those who are misinformed on here. Just trying to help...

I can answer your questions. I had the same orientation you had. I met with a nutritionist for 6 months and had to log my food choices too. She said I was one of the most successful ones in pre-op weight loss. She knew I was a person who followed the rules. She explained all the food choices that would be appropriate. She had all the fake food in her room (you know a rubber hamburger patty, the empty boxes of diet frozen food, etc..) to show portion size and healthy choices.

Before I even contemplated the LB, I had lost about 20lbs on my own. Then another 20 with the 6 month diet. I, too, had to go on a liquid diet two weeks before and 2 weeks after the surgery. Another 20 lbs. So, I had lost 60 lbs before the band even had a chance to work. My BMI was 34.8 before surgery. I not only had a psych evaluation but every other conceivable test there is - heart, gallbladder, upper GI, chest x-ray, EKG, stress test, sleep study.

I was banded September 2008.

Part of the problem was my former surgeon. He was a general surgeon who kept his general surgery practice while jumping on the $$ WLS bandwagon. He and his partner took over a retiring WLS's practice.

Even though I had lost a lot of weight at this point, at my first post-op visit, my surgeon wanted me to lose 10-15 lbs. in 3 weeks, without a fill. Not only is that unrealistic for how much more weight I had to lose, but not within the guidelines of 1-2 lbs. a week. This should have been my first red flag.

Then when I didn't lose any weight at that second visit, I got the come to Jesus talk and about how the band is only a tool (I have learned to hate that statement). I told him what I ate, a Smart Balance dinner and he said to throw them out. I told him the nutritionist promoted them in her office and they should be on the same page. I received a 2cc fill at that time. I lost a few founds before my next fill of 1 cc. Then I started having big time problems. Heartburn, reflux, pain, the inability to even drink a sip of Water in the morning to take my synthroid (the water seemed to come up) and you know what he said "don't take your pill then, take it another time". But the problems persisted and he ordered an endoscopy and upper GI. The GI doctor said my band looked high and tight and thought it was positioned too high. The upper GI showed that nothing much was getting through. It was only then, when my surgeon saw these results, did he have me come in immediately to get a slight unfill of 1cc.

I was told that I had a 10 cc Allergan band, so I couldn't understand why 3cc's would cause so many problems. I was soon to find out.

I knew at this time that I needed a second opinion. I got all my test results, including the CD's of all my upper GI's and took them to an experienced bariatric doctor at a center of excellence. He told me that I had a 4cc band and that it had a slight slip. Now I knew why I had so many problems. Plus, he was very impressed with my weight loss at that point (75 lbs. - 15 was from post band) whereas my former doctor never was. So, I quickly switched to this doctor. I did some research on my band and found it had an expiration date of June the following year (for sterility) and I think my former surgeon was using up old inventory before investing in new which is why I got an older band that isn't used much anymore, if at all.

I followed all the rules, all my food choices were healthy. I made healthy choices when eating out. But in Dec. 2009 I had a major stuck episode that resulted in a trip to the ER and an overnight stay. All my fill was removed and that is where I am now.

But here is the most important part of my story: At no point from no fill to 3cc fill did the band ever reduce my hunger or provide me with satiety. NEVER. And that stuck episode was so incredibly painful that I couldn't even talk. I NEVER, EVER, want to experience that again. So, as long as I am going to be hungry, at least I have reduced my chances of getting stuck.

So, you see, the band doesn't work for everyone like it does for some, even when we follow the rules. I don't regret getting it because I doubt I'd have lost this weight without embarking on this journey - I mean I wasn't going to go on a liquid diet for 4 weeks.

So, don't assume that when the band doesn't work it's because we aren't following the rules or changing our mindset. I have been dieting for 5 years this month. It started before the band. I have made healthy food choices during that time. I chew, don't drink with meals, etc.. but it just doesn't work for me and my current surgeon says it doesn't work for everyone.

I wasn't assuming anything! Yes, I understand the band doesn't work for everyone but referring to my best friend she hasn't followed any of the rules like she should. (You wouldn't know that) I am with her everyday so I see this first hand.

The OP sounded like she wasn't willing to make changes, she was still wanting to eat her fatty foods and thought with the band she could still eat all of them but just eat half and still loose weight. You do need to make food changes with the band.

I wasn't assuming anything! Yes, I understand the band doesn't work for everyone but referring to my best friend she hasn't followed any of the rules like she should. (You wouldn't know that) I am with her everyday so I see this first hand.

The OP sounded like she wasn't willing to make changes, she was still wanting to eat her fatty foods and thought with the band she could still eat all of them but just eat half and still loose weight. You do need to make food changes with the band.

Actually, I don't agree with this. Assuming that she was physically able to eat all the same foods she did after the band that she did before, eating one-half the calories that she did eat before should result in weight loss, UP TO A POINT. At some point, after a certain amount of weight loss, that won't work anymore and then the healthy choices come in. That is not to say that she should have eaten the former food choices to begin with, only that when STARTING out on the journey eating one-half the calories you used to eat should result in weight loss. I have seen posters say that they have done exactly that - eaten smaller quantities of foods they previously ate and lost weight and were successful. Some people can't be successful if they are forever denied some of their favorite foods. If you can't physically eat them, that is one thing, but to deny yourself them once in a while sets some up for failure.

Actually, I don't agree with this. Assuming that she was physically able to eat all the same foods she did after the band that she did before, eating one-half the calories that she did eat before should result in weight loss, UP TO A POINT. At some point, after a certain amount of weight loss, that won't work anymore and then the healthy choices come in. That is not to say that she should have eaten the former food choices to begin with, only that when STARTING out on the journey eating one-half the calories you used to eat should result in weight loss. I have seen posters say that they have done exactly that - eaten smaller quantities of foods they previously ate and lost weight and were successful. Some people can't be successful if they are forever denied some of their favorite foods. If you can't physically eat them, that is one thing, but to deny yourself them once in a while sets some up for failure.

Calories and types of food are two different things. When you get the band you have to be willing to make some changes or why get it? I am not saying to deny yourself....I said I still have my favorites once in a while but this is a life change and I decided to change things in MY life.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

This is a great article. It really explains the band and tells you why it works the way it does. So, please read and hopefully it will be useful for you.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

This is a great article. It really explains the band and tells you why it works the way it does. So, please read and hopefully it will be useful for you.

I posted the same link earlier in this thread. The response I got was "but it IS about Restriction" (I might not be exactly right on the wording of the response, but it's close enough). I don't know if the person or people who were having issues ever read it.

It really is a helpful article. And I'm glad you posted it again.

that link is one doctors view.... after 5 years with my band i disagree with that opinion

i should have said I dont entirely agree with it... the obvious stuff sure but not that restricting what you can eat not being a huge part of it.... and a huge part of success

Hello remember me??? I'm swirl I started this thread. There have been so many replies I have got lost in them.

Someone said...The band is what you make of it

BULLCRAP!!! I just left my Doctors office and I had a nice long talk with him about all of this. He said they are finding out that the band is working for less and less people. He said it like only 70% of people that it works on. So when someone like me says "this thing just isn't getting it for me"...So Misses know it all, it may very well not be my fault. He said. I have beed filled has much has one can be filled and no restriction, but once and I throw up.

He said that they are not getting that good of results with the band, as time goes by. So in the mean time I got another fill and I go back in 6 weeks. We will see where I am at then.;)

Most experienced Bariatric Professionals (Surgeons, Drs, Etc) would disagree with that article (and DO).

Most people used to believe the earth was flat too. Consensus doesn't indicate correctness.

My surgeon, by the way would agree with the article. I have to say, my experience does too. YMMV.

He said it like only 70% of people that it works on

90% of people make up the statistics they quote. Oh...wait...:blink:

Seriously, I'd love to know where he got this 'fact'.

Most people used to believe the earth was flat too. Consensus doesn't indicate correctness.

My surgeon, by the way would agree with the article. I have to say, my experience does too. YMMV.

A remarkably lame analogy. Even for you.

S.