Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still hate my band

Sorry if you don't like what I posted. It was my own opinion and I'm entitled to it as you are to yours. I've lived long enough, been on enough diets, had enough medical problems, etc. etc. to learn that "what goes around, comes around" as the old saying goes. As for being JUDGEMENTAL as you accused me of being, everyone is somewhat judgemental...just as you have been over my intentions of my post. You're right that I don't know her situation, your situation nor do you know mine.

That is completely UNTURE!!! No it is NOT only as good as it's operator! Yes the operator has to work with it..............however IT DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE!!!!!! Why would u dare assume that SHE is at fault???

U don't get out of it exactly what u put in! Some ppl put a hell of a lot into it and get NOTHING in return!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't beleive she asked for a magic bullet now did she? U have a not of nerve suggesting that that is how she feels!

Yes it does take a lot of hard work...........but for some ppl that hard work does not end with the band paying off for them!

STOP BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL! U DON'T KNOW HER SITUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps the original poster is not getting proper support from the medical staff? I believe that can make a huge difference. I hope things can be resolved w/ your visit this week.

It's not just eating baked chicken, I was just using that as an example. The point I am trying to make is I have done this samething over and over to lose weight. It takes a lot of will power to do that. For whatever reason after a while I would get bored with this "eating healthy" thing and go back to the food that I enjoy eating. For some reason I didn't think it would be like this with the lap band. I like eating hamburgers, French Fries,cheese cake,ect. If I had know that I would have to chose the baked whatever instead of a cheeseburger for this thing to work then I would not had gotten this thing I hate. The only time I have felt any restriction I would feel all kinds of pain and throw up. If I have to live worrying about food getting stuck and throwing up, this is not worth it. And to have to take tiny bites of bake whatever on top of it. The Doctor went with the band because of the meds I am on,but I can't help but feel I would of lost a hell of a lot more weight by now. And maybe been off half these meds in anyway. You wait months it get approved, you wait months to find this so called sweet spot, months have gone by and not a damn pound lost. For all the ones on here that think this is the best thing that ever happed to them (and I am happy for those) there are people here thsat have not had this surgery and really need to hear that it doesn't work for everyone. All the money, all the pain, and for what???

Just to have to chose cheeseburger or baked chicken. Hell I did that before surgery. But that time I did loss 60 lbs. Didn't keep it off. But its still more then I can say a this Lap band.l

I just had the procedure done, and I have a few questions. Did you think the band would make decisions for you? Calories are all that matter. Fewer calories in, more exercise, equal weight loss. You don't really have to choose between hamburgers and chicken, but you have to eat less of them. The band was probably doing its job when you had pain and threw up. Isn't that what's supposed to happen when you overeat? I was hoping that the band would help me with Portion Control. See, I love to eat, but I don't know when to stop. Will the band help me with that? If your doctor isn't getting you to the "sweet spot" have you considered going to a different doctor? Perhaps he isn't the right one for you.

It really sounds to me like you might help yourself by meeting with a counselor, and a dietitian to discuss your options for food choices. You could look for recipes for foods that interest you and help you get over your cravings for cheeseburgers. Something as simple as half a cheeseburger with lettuce instead of a bun, might do the trick.

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but if you self paid, and you went through the process, and you really need to lose weight for your health, you owe it to yourself to do everything you can to make this work.

It will require sacrifice, but gastric bypass requires sacrifice too. So does dieting alone. I don't have any experience with lap band yet, but I have lots of experience with life. You may have issues that you need to discuss with a counselor now while you can eat what you want. Relax, eat, get your head straight and try again. That's all I'm saying, and I say it with caring and respect for your pain. I've dealt with my weight for 60 years and this is do or die for me literally. Work on you first, then your diet. Be still for a while...sort things out, and keep in touch.

I wanted to respond to what a few posters have said in this topic. I agree that FOR ME the band is a tool. I ate unhealthy foods before my surgery. Lots of eating out, fried foods, and fast food. I chose the band because it would help with behavior modification, because I wasn't able to do it on my own. I still miss pizza and Mexican food, but not as much as I thought I would. I wasn't able to stay with any weight loss program by myself, so I've resorted to banding to help me.

I have many friends who chose GB and all but two have gained all their weight back because they did not change their eating habits. They lost the weight initially, but because of the types of food and the way they eat; they are back where they started. So it seems to me that it's the same with any WLS. Also, my family member who had GB in July was still on soft foods 4 months later. I know I didn't want that.

Sorry for the rambling, but I just hope others realize that it's possible to out eat your band and that without behavior changes I doubt any weight loss program works.

Sidenote: My surgeon NEVER told me I'd be able to eat the same way I did before. He was very clear that I would have to alter my eating habits and eat in a healthier manner. It makes me sad that some doctors seem to imply differently.

First off before doing the procedure your surgeon should have sent you to a dietician/nutritionist. The Nut explains what you can and can't eat. A Nutritionist would have told you upfront that you still have to choose the right things to eat. They would also tell you that you probably won't be able to eat a hamburger b/c you won't be able to eat bread very easily.

As for the baked chicken- I can honestly say I like chicken but I can't eat it anymore. It gets really stuck for me but I'm fine with that.

I chose the band b/c after years of doing Weight Watchers and not being able to keep off the weight I know what I should be eating but I'm always hungry. Now my hungry is controlled which allows me to make better food choices.

I'm really wondering if your doctor didn't educate you well enough before hand.

A friend of mine had GB and still has to stay on Weight Watchers in order to keep the weight off. The surgery is not magic. You still have to put all your effort into it.

I really wonder if your doctor didn't educate you well enough beforehand. If you haven't seen a nutritionist then I would go see one and also attend some Lap Band support group meetings. I've found those to be really helpful.

What size band do you have and do you know how many CC's are in it?

Bypass or band, tiny bites are a must. At least in my education classes it was "chew, chew, chew" for both procedures. The nutritionist said meat bites should be the size of a pencil eraser.

Bypass patients' pouches do not grind, food bites must be small and well chewed or it goes no where. I asked about the size of your bites when you got Fluid removed wondering if perhaps there was a solution for why the band wasn't working for you.

I am sorry the band was not what you expected. I do hope you are able to resolve the issue and find what you are looking for. Any of the current WLS procedures will involve changes to your eating habits. Bypass has dumping, you might not be able to eat that cheesecake without cramping and diarrhea. Sleeve has possible strictures and can stretch.

Fortunately with the band, you are not happy with it, you can have it removed. The other two? Reversal cannot happen easily.

Those for whom the band works are often suspicious of those for whom it doesn't, using the mindset that if it works for one, it should work for all. Sometimes they give good advice, sometimes they are critical. I can see how the later could turn off some who come on here for help.

CM,

I make no judgments and I'm not suspicious when someone says the band isn't working for them. I do take time to ask questions because one thing I have learned is that many do not know how the band operates. There's an awful lot of misinformation out there and much of it coming from the doctors!

Well sometimes what goes around does come around. And for you I'm hoping when you start having problems with YOUR Lap Band that those you chat with on this forum are less accusatory then you were to the poster.

Sorry if you don't like what I posted. It was my own opinion and I'm entitled to it as you are to yours. I've lived long enough, been on enough diets, had enough medical problems, etc. etc. to learn that "what goes around, comes around" as the old saying goes. As for being JUDGEMENTAL as you accused me of being, everyone is somewhat judgemental...just as you have been over my intentions of my post. You're right that I don't know her situation, your situation nor do you know mine.

Advice and help are not just for ppl doing well with their band. It is for ALL bandsters. Those having problems should not be spoken to as if they are too stupid to know if their band is working or not! Now if that were not your intention...........I will apologize for that. However yes I am bitter about the band and I feel I have every right to be. Had you wasted all your money on a POS that isn't even working like I did you would be bitter too!!!

Fluffy,

Your bitterness is overwhelmingly apparent to any who read your posts and if you don't want the advice and help here and you're convinced your band is useless, one has to wonder why you stay. I *ask* because not everyone does know whether they're working their band right and it's not because they're stupid. It's because they might have been misled as to what to expect or look for.

Advice and help are not just for ppl doing well with their band. It is for ALL bandsters. Those having problems should not be spoken to as if they are too stupid to know if their band is working or not! Now if that were not your intention...........I will apologize for that.

When I/we ask someone if they've tried something or suggest they try something, it's not that I/we believe they're stupid. It's because I/we don't know whether they know or have tried these suggestions. We have to start somewhere. :)

I just had the procedure done, and I have a few questions. Did you think the band would make decisions for you? Calories are all that matter. Fewer calories in, more exercise, equal weight loss. You don't really have to choose between hamburgers and chicken, but you have to eat less of them. The band was probably doing its job when you had pain and threw up. Isn't that what's supposed to happen when you overeat? I was hoping that the band would help me with Portion Control. See, I love to eat, but I don't know when to stop. Will the band help me with that? If your doctor isn't getting you to the "sweet spot" have you considered going to a different doctor? Perhaps he isn't the right one for you.

It really sounds to me like you might help yourself by meeting with a counselor, and a dietitian to discuss your options for food choices. You could look for recipes for foods that interest you and help you get over your cravings for cheeseburgers. Something as simple as half a cheeseburger with lettuce instead of a bun, might do the trick.

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but if you self paid, and you went through the process, and you really need to lose weight for your health, you owe it to yourself to do everything you can to make this work.

It will require sacrifice, but gastric bypass requires sacrifice too. So does dieting alone. I don't have any experience with lap band yet, but I have lots of experience with life. You may have issues that you need to discuss with a counselor now while you can eat what you want. Relax, eat, get your head straight and try again. That's all I'm saying, and I say it with caring and respect for your pain. I've dealt with my weight for 60 years and this is do or die for me literally. Work on you first, then your diet. Be still for a while...sort things out, and keep in touch.

Exactly what you said. It's not going to make decisions for you. It's a lifestyle change, the skinny lifestyle doesn't include endless cheeseburgers, Cookies, cake etc... it includes exercise and healthy food. It controls my hunger, which is what I want it to do. If I want a bite of something bad, I can have it, but it's not every meal. The calories in those foods are not worth it to me anymore!

Actually I think a lot of ppl probably read it that way but I was the only one that called her out on it.

This will be my last word on the subject. You 'called me out' (as you put it) on something you 'perceived' (wrongly). I did not call anyone stupid, nor did I insinuate that they were. I can't decide whether your bitterness over your band is causing you to attack me...or whether you're just my previous stalker under a new name. In either case, I'm done with you.

Thanks for your response. I was beginning to wonder what I had gotten myself into! I've studied this procedure for a year and have concluded that you have to work on yourself first. I'm trying to remind myself that all I did was choose life over food. If it helps control my appetite, it will have been money well spent. Obviously I can't control it alone!

Exactly what you said. It's not going to make decisions for you. It's a lifestyle change, the skinny lifestyle doesn't include endless cheeseburgers, Cookies, cake etc... it includes exercise and healthy food. It controls my hunger, which is what I want it to do. If I want a bite of something bad, I can have it, but it's not every meal. The calories in those foods are not worth it to me anymore!

I am adding my two cents here.

FF--get ready to raise your blood pressure again because you anger is RADIATING off the pages. Yes, your band did not work for you. We hear you. BUT you are allowing your less than satisfactory experience taint your view of others and that is simply not right. No one said you were in the wrong and no one commented on your experience. What people here were asking was more follow up to a post that said "my band does not work" but then offers no more details. Talk about dropping a load in the forum but with no information. So people asked follow up questions--there is nothing wrong with that. So, you jumped to the conclusion that people were picking on Swirl which is simply not the case. I too have to ask (because someone asked before) why do you stay? To continue to share your bad experience and be mean spirited in this forum? I get you want people to know the band does not work for everyone but truly folks--you are embarking on major surgery here with a doctor cutting open your intestines. You should know all the risks and the failure rate before you allow yourself to lay on the operating table. If people do their homework, they will find articles and statistics on the success and failure rate on this surgery.

Second, if someone comes into this journey saying "I want cheeseburgers" and they want to eat cheesecake, cake, and Cookies but in limited portions, then they are setting themselves up for failure. There, I said it. NO LIFESTYLE CHANGE WILL WORK UNLESS THE PERSON REALLY WANTS TO CHANGE. That's like saying to an alcoholic "well I am apporaching soberity as I can have one drink a day instead of none". Or the drug addict can have one joint a day. NO--doesn't work that way. Addicition comes in many forms but overweight people are addicted to food. You can cure an addiction by saying "well I can have just a little" because a little is never enough. Sorry but that's just the truth.

So, FF and Swirl, yes, the band doesn't work for some but for others it works but people self sabatoge themselves by saying it doesn't.

So it didn't work for you. We get it. But for the majority of us, it has and enabled us to have totally differnt lives. Don't diss the people that have made the effort to get the most out of this journey. It's insulting and rude.