Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how to lose weight with lap band

Please help! chicken, meat, Peanut Butter, vegtables, bread get stuck-but isn't that what I am supposed to eat?

Please help! chicken, meat, Peanut Butter, vegtables, bread get stuck-but isn't that what I am supposed to eat?

Yes hard Protein - tiny bites (erase size) - chew very very well - eat very slow..

Are you doing these things - Have you had a fill recently - maybe you are too tight.

Alot of pple have problems w/bread unless it's toasted.

I can't eat stringy meat - it has to be very tender - I rarely do bread - but can - If I eat a big spoon full of Peanut Butter I will get stuck

Yes hard Protein - tiny bites (erase size) - chew very very well - eat very slow..

Are you doing these things - Have you had a fill recently - maybe you are too tight.

Alot of pple have problems w/bread unless it's toasted.

I can't eat stringy meat - it has to be very tender - I rarely do bread - but can - If I eat a big spoon full of Peanut Butter I will get stuck

but HOW did you do it?? Was it the band or the choices that you made. I know this can work if I don't eat but I thought this was supposed to be a tool and help me. Maybe I am asking for too much. I do not think I am too tight, I can eat anything just not chicken and bread. I just want this to work for me......

also, the Peanut Butter that i did eat was on toast not a spoonful-not sure if I could do that.....

It sounds like you've got some restriction, but I would stay away from bread if it's giving you problems! Many banders have problems with bread; I do most of the time, but can manage a bit now and then. Some people do have problems with chicken too; moist meat, or meat with some kind of sauce or gravy with it helps some people. If everything but slider foods is getting stuck, you are probably either too tight, taking bites that are too big, or not chewing well enough.

Also, make sure to drink a lot every day! I've noticed that staying hydrated keeps my band right at my sweet spot, but if I don't drink very much and get dehydrated, it can tighten and make eating very uncomfortable!

My band was a tool in losing the weight - I did the real work by making good food choices and exercising .. I ate real food hard Proteins veggies even a little rice w/my dinner most nights

You have to understand that our food choices were also the reason that we got obese not just our portion sizes... This is not a diet - it's a lifetime lifestyle change in our eating and exercise habits.

As was stated some pple have trouble w/certain foods - I'm I can eat almost anything (expect tough meats) I don't do bread often - band food plan doesn't really include it - we are suppose to eat high Protein - sf - and limited carbs/starches..

If you can eat everything but chicken and bread - you are fine - and you can probably eat chicken if it's moist and take tiny bites and chew very well and eat slowly

I too find my band gets tighter if I don't get my Water in..

Hey mn! I had the same issue early after my second fill too, have you tried really small bites? If youre still getting stuck maybe go back to liquids for a few days and then attempt food again when you feel like it wont get stuck. I had to go on liquids for 4 days instead of 2 and then things went down easier.

Like Indiogirl said...

this is just a tool...this is not the case where "the surgery is doing the work for you" that is an illusion. You. have to work this. I have lost about 100 lbs in 6 months. I have a very good friend banded longer (a lot longer) than I, who has lost almost nothing. Y? I go to the gym 2 hrs a day 5 days a week. I eat Protein first....then veggies and salad. I stop eating by 5pm. I go to support groups, keep in touch w/ my dr, and kept getting fills (and an unfill) till I got where 3 meals do the trick, and I am not hungry. I cut waaaaaaay down on alcohol. I dont eat sweets. so what do I eat?? hmm.....salads, cottage cheese, soy crisps, homemade healthy chilis and Soups. seafood. veggies. very little red meat. Protein shakes. nuts. Peanut Butter....I keep healthy snax around (the cottage cheese and soy crisps are my fav!!! ) but also heart healthy nut packs, baby bell cheeses, EAS shakes......I cook at the beginning of the week to make sure there is something around for me to grab quick, because if I get starving, it isnt good.....eggs are also good Protein, and have gotten a bad wrap.....hang in there!! You have to make a decision to put yourself back on the map. its really as easy as that, and no one is busier than I am. I have triplet 3 yr olds, a 5 yr old, and no outside help. My youngest son also has a disability so throw in many hours of appts, and therapies every week, and I still get myself to the gym. its all about priorities......!!!

I've lost using a pretty formulaic approach: 800-900 calories/day, 80-100 g protein/day, <50 g net carbs/day, good bariatric Multivitamin, plenty of Fluid, and daily exercise.

What worked for me was following a very normal, but portion controlled diet - that's foods from all food groups - Protein, carbs, fruit, vegies. Three healthy meals a day exactly as I would have done when trying to lose pre band. Limited Snacks and treats, but sure, occasionally you can have a treat. Limit alcohol, fatty foods and sugar. So I might eat Cereal and fruit for Breakfast, a salad with Protein for lunch and more protein and salad for dinner, with the occasional Pasta or rice dish.

I worked up to it, but pretty much run for 40 minutes five days a week and go to a couple of bootcamp sessions (which are pretty brutal).

I lost easily but slowly (if you consider 100lb in 2 years slow, I dont) and maintained effortlessly ever since, EVEN with an unfilled band.

My band was a tool. It meant I stuck with my plans through the endless challenges such as meals out, holidays, parties and just bad weeks but it made me satisfied with much smaller portions. It never stopped me wanting bad foods, it didnt even stop me overeating, since when I had a mind to I could graze on chocolate and Cookies all day. I worked on that bad habit.

Looking back, i think the band worked on my mind as well as my body. I really did finally say 'grow up and accept what you have to do" and I just got on with it. I find people nowadays just gratify their every whim and I've really become a person who thinks before she acts in terms of not only eating, but spending money too!

Begin or resume an exercise program with which you are comfortable. Aerobic exercise can boost the rate at which you lose weight and get better your cardiovascular health.

Talk to your medical doctor about starting a post op diet before you begin. Take the Vitamins and dietetic supplements recommended by your doctor.

The key for me in losing 250 pounds was eating high quality Protein at each meal. I used small plates and a toddler spoon and fork, cut my food up into tiny pieces, put my fork down between bites, and chewed until the food was like applesauce in my mouth before I swallowed. Anything less and I ran the risk of it getting "stuck". It took time, patience and quite a bit of trial and error before I got it right and, 7 years later I still have those errors :rolleyes: but I also have a new life that I love so it is all worth it. I hope you have a support group or other band buddies close to you that you can commiserate with, but if not the boards are the way to go to stay connected and get answers. If you want some ideas and some more support you may want to download a copy of our free call

The 10 Lessons of Successful Lap Band Patients and see if there is some more info you can use. The neat thing is you can "take" the info with you easily by loading it on your MP3 player as well as your computer and listening to it over and over again if you need to. Let me know if it helps.