Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 12/10 and on liquid diet

Hello everyone!!!

I was just banded on December 10th and I'm on the liquid diet. Problem is, I'm always hungry. I do drink my Protein shakes and Water, but I am always hungry!!!! Has anyone else had this problem?

I can go on pureed foods on Saturday and I so want to have just some mushy baby food vegetables now, just to get into my stomach,

Does anyone have any advice?

Hi Leesmimi,

I also had lap band surgery on Friday 12/10.

And I feel the same way you do.

I thought I wouldn't be hungry after surgery. Not true.

I want to eat food. Instead i drink another Protein shake.

and that usually does the trick.

I am going to doctors to check out wound on thursday and cant wait to ask if i can start mushie foods.

Good luck to you.

I will keep you posted,

That's definitely something that happens for some people after surgery.

However, I would not advance off of liquids unless you have gotten permission to do so from your doctor. The thing is, your stomach needs time to heal. And though you may think nothing of it, it's possible to do damage because you have chosen to eat something rather than drink.

Before you do it, please call your surgeon and discuss it with them.

I agree with Katy completely. Get permission or don't do it. Are baby food veggies really worth damaging your band installation?

I was banded 11/23. 5 days after surgery I was miserably hungry. I added a 1/4 cup of yogurt and or a half of pudding cup. It was amazing how that little bit made me feel so much better. It also gave me a bit of energy, which I am sure was all in my mind:)

Hello everyone!!!

I was just banded on December 10th and I'm on the liquid diet. Problem is, I'm always hungry. I do drink my Protein shakes and Water, but I am always hungry!!!! Has anyone else had this problem?

I can go on pureed foods on Saturday and I so want to have just some mushy baby food vegetables now, just to get into my stomach,

I had my band also on Friday Dec. 10. And No I am not the least bit hungry. My problem is I have gas pressure pains. Everything I drink, gives me gas. It will cause my chest, shoulders, neck and my head to hurt really really bad. Walking does not do any good. When I can't stand the pain any longer I take pain meds and lay down and go to sleep. Also when I drink anything, it hurts my stomach.

Am not sick feeling, am not hungry. Also, I can feel my band. I feel it on the inside, not pressing with my hand on the outside. I feel it almost always.

About your hungry, try eating some yogert.

Good luck

Grandie

I had my band on dec 7th and have to do liquids for four weeks after surgery! And i feel hungry all the time! I couldnt even do Protein Shakes until today, a week after surgery! Can't wait for mushies!! Good luck! P.s I lost 8 pounds the first six days after surgery so that made me feel a little better!

I got my band on the 12-9-2010 and I made a bad choice I eat like on second day I was purée but it was one sclice of ham and one for cheese I Chewed alot and drink Water with it now I'm afraid to told the doctor. Another thing is that on the area where the port is it get biger every time I drink and u can see a like the sizes of half egg stick out on my stoma or that is normal:(

Jd,

I'm concerned about that. I would suggest you call your doctor and tell them what's going on.

Keep us posted.

Jd,

I'm concerned about that. I would suggest you call your doctor and tell them what's going on.

Keep us posted.

I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I did email my nutritionist that works with my doctor. He said that since I am now on day 5 I can eat pudding and some creamy Soups. I can also mix some sugar free pudding mix into my Protein shakes. My pureed food diet doesn't start until Friday.

I think another problem is that I'm not slowing down enough. Does anyone have some suggestion...like how did you slow down?

I was banded on 12/9. Mr Dr orders 2 weeks of liquid. No mushie foods until the 3rd week which for me is Christmas Eve. He explained that the stomach needs time to heal and rushing towards mushy foods will not serve me well in the long run because I may have complications. So I am listening and following it to the letter.

Up until today I had no appetite. I had to force myself to eat the 4-6 cups of broth, Water and juices. Today I am back on protien shakes as well and for some reason they are a little less statisfying than they were pre surgery. Maybe it means I am healing! But I only have another week.... and this week I get to introduce Tomato Soup, V8 juice and milk so maybe that will help with the hunger.

I would talk to your doctor about your individual situation. Good Luck! :)

Hello~~

Have you tried broth? I listed some different types of shakes in my blog..sometimes just a change up will halp satisfy you. I havne't felt hungry, just smells make me hungry.LOL like pizza, a hamburger cooking...etc. I just change it up with broth, or watered down creamy Soups to help stave off the craving, not hunger..and it passes..

I was banded Dec. 6 and have my first post op visit next week. I can't go to mushie till then. Making the most of it! My dr allows anything that will flow easily thru a straw as a liquid...

Cindi

Iowa

Hello everyone!!!

Hello fellow bandies,

I was banded on Dec.10th as well. My experience has been a little different. I was nauseated like crazy after the surgery but it finally subsided. I came home Saturday morning not really hungry but sore and ready to get back to my normal self. I moved from the bed to the couch and around a little. I even walked the treadmill on a low setting for 5 to 10 min. I didn't make back to work until today becasue I just couldnt get my wind up I felt extremely worn out.

The hunger thing is really in my head because my doctor has me a full liquids the first week but I can have puddings and creamy Soups without the chunks so this has been workin well for me. I've consummed my share of Jello and popcicles there easy to eat if you ask me. I get so full so fast. If I continue on this path I will be skinny really soon.

Eating without Dr. permission would scare the heck out of me so if I were you I would wait for his ok before I proceeded.

I was explaining to my husband how all the different foods on television look so good becasue Im not allowed to eat them at this point but he simply said your brain has stopped functioning with your stomach and I need to give them time to communicate. Although I feel full the crave is still there. I guess what Im listening to is my stomach and I eat small very small portions.

I made this move to see results and thats what I plan on getting. Please let me know how your feeling and your results and sucess

Greek yogurt with milk was light enough to go through a straw, though I didn't use one. I had to crush pain meds and other meds up in it. A few days later I had Tomato Soup. It was amazing how good a half cup of Tomato Soup was! That was the 'Liquid' diet I was on. I also had blueberry juice and hot teas.

By Thanksgiving Day (one week after being banded) I was able to graze on one small plate of food the entire day. The turkey was tender so with gravy (doctors orders) and chewing it to a pulp, everything went down beautifully and I was very happy.

Between now and Saturday, try Greek yogurt with milk and sweetner. Don't get the fruited kind, just the regular kind. It is high Protein and low carb. Made a huge difference, hope it works for you as well.