Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you pay for the lap band?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you pay for the lap band?

• I paid nothing or near nothing, just insurance co-pays.
    • I paid between 5,000 and 7,000
    • I paid between 7,000 and 10,000
    • I paid between 10,000 and 15,000
    • I paid over 15,000.

The poll leaves a big gap.

My surgeon was out of network, so we had to pay $2k to max out my "out of pocket" expenses, but the hostiptal and everything else was in network....

Self-pay, $16.500, the thing that I wasn't happy with is the dr. didn't advise me that I would have to pay for the blood work and chest exray, I gave them my insurance card so I am waiting to see if the insurance company pays it or I get billed for another $1,500.00. No new cars for awhile till I get this paid off.

Wow...

>>Dr. Lopez, 1/23/03

303/203.5

5'6", 44 y.o.

Four Fills, last restriction 2.6 (10/03-7/04)

Diagnosed with erosion 6/19/04

Band removed 7/2/04<<

I can't believe how many patients I see of Dr. Lopez that have had their bands removed. Spooky.

There's not a bubble for me...but I should be paying $1500 plus copays. So with DH and me both doing this, we figure on putting out about $4000. Fortunately, we opted for flex spending this year and have $100 per pay deducted, pre tax, ($2600 total) to reimburse non-covered medical expenses. Sooooo I figure we'll be tapping the credit card for 1.5k-2k. Nothing next year's tax return won't take care of! Thank God!!

Now, I gotta ask my doc how many/long fills are covered in his price!

Regarding: HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY?

$7800 for surgeon, anesthesiologist, internal medicine guy, labs, CXR, EKG, two nights in the hospital and fills for life. However, the hospital charges $70 for fluoro equipment (fills) and radiologist.

Mexico rocks! If I had it to do over again I'd go to the same surgeon, same everything.

I paid $15443.00 for my band. In British Columbia, Canada gastric bypass is covered by the medical system but lap bands are all self pay. My extended medical policy did not cover it either.:cry

Swilson...

Did you ever make good on your threats and follow up with the bar? I hope so. Please let us know how that turns out.

Would you mind telling what you paid them for this letter?

I am hoping for a date in April. I have been quoted $10,750 which includes everything, even a year of fills. I had to pay $275 for psych eval, but the nurse said she doesn't think I'll require any other tests. If I do, I will hopefully get insurance to pay. I, of course, have the only insurance in KS that makes NO exceptions for WLS. BCBS of KS sucks!:(

I paid $NZ15,000. It would be covered under my insurance if I had been with them for 3 years, but I hadn't and I wasn't about to wait. I have had to pay extra for first consultation with surgeon and some of the dietian, but that was all rather minimal.

Insurance covered everything, including hospital stay, surgery, etc.:clap2:

I paid & $14,000 out of pocket. That was after a $500 deduction for paying cash on the spot and a "medical courtesy" discount of 10% apparently because I am a nurse (I guess they think I'll get the word out!)

My fills are included for a year then free for another year if I lose more than 50% of my excess weight loss within the first one. I plan on making that happen!!!

Tha comes out to $296/pound (so far...it will be $145/pound at goal weight.) Way too much but the money came out of my retirement fund. I figured why save it if my obesity kills me before I can use it?!

I paid a $2500 up front fee at first visit. Not billable to insurance, out of pocket completely. It was required at first visit and only refunded if you found your insurance wouldnt cover. If you changed your mind you only got half back. Plus endless $20 copays and labwork copays and upper gi copays... seemed endless for awhile, but its been 5 months and has settled down.