Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you pay for the lap band?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you pay for the lap band?

• I paid nothing or near nothing, just insurance co-pays.
    • I paid between 5,000 and 7,000
    • I paid between 7,000 and 10,000
    • I paid between 10,000 and 15,000
    • I paid over 15,000.

I paid $17k total. Here's how it is broken down:

$7500 = Surgeon's fees for 5 years (includes office visits and fills)

$1000 = Anesthesia

$8500 = Hospital fees for outpatient surgery

Um all up for me it was $100 each for the surgeons nurse and dietician, everything else is free cuz I'm going public

I paid $15,443.00. Gastric bypass is covered by BC Medical (Canada) but not lap band surgery. How crazy is that!! They still consider it experimental!! All the pre-op tests were covered by BC Medical and my surgeon will do fills for as long as I need them (no charge). It was alot of cash but it was the best money I ever spent! If only BC medical would acknowledge how much money my band has saved them in expenses! I am no longer pre-diabetic, I have come off 2 of 5 blood pressure medications, no more major knee problems, no more deep depression. I hope in the future they will cover it as I am sure alot more people would chose the band over RNY if given a choice.

Barb :thumbup:

Thank goodness for medical insurance, because I ended up staying in the hospital and extra day for a total of 2.5 days. I only pay co-pays of $15.00 for each fill. Dr. visits are $15.00. The hospital stay and procedure fully paid by the insurance company.:)

Luck me...I am a self pay $8,000. I went to Mexico to Dr. Lopez-Couvela. It's all good I'm down 55 pounds.

Nadda for me. My insurance paid 100% of everything, even the travel back and forth to the hospital. That even includes all follow-up care and fills with travel between my house and the doctors office. Gotta love insurance.

Self pay. Goint to Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Pedro Kuri. Surgery is $7500. Add airfare and expenses. Still under $8000.

Compared to the local surgeon who estimates the cost at $18,000.

I paid 16000 out of pocket. Had to take home equity loan out to pay along with 6000 for plastic surgery for my arms. Our insurance does not pay for any reasons what so ever. I was banded Jan 2007 and have lost 167 pounds so far, my goal is for 14 more to go.

I am so fortunate, I work at a large hospital. And since I had my band there everything is covered including any insurance co-pays. I almost backed out and thought to myself, you are being really stupid not to take advantage of this benefit. So I was banded 11-20-08.

$12,000 for a low BMI study.....but turns out during the process I developed Hypertension and pre diabetic symtoms...so I could have been covered by my insurance ...but it's too late I think....hey but it re inforced the fact I need this procedure!

I had to pay 14,000 to the hospital, 3800 to the doctor & 500 to the anesthesioligist. My insurance would not pay a thing. I even had to pay for most of my pre surgery test!! Anyway I ws banded Nov 19 & i can not wait for the day I can say it was worth every penny of it!!!!