Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you pay for the lap band?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you pay for the lap band?

• I paid nothing or near nothing, just insurance co-pays.
    • I paid between 5,000 and 7,000
    • I paid between 7,000 and 10,000
    • I paid between 10,000 and 15,000
    • I paid over 15,000.

I paid $16,000 Canadian, this covers all pre and post-op. Don't regret one single cent of it and would not hesitate to make this decision again if I had to.

Carol

I was wondering about this. It is very interesting how the amount of money differs from doctor to doctor. My insurance covers 90% of the surgery, leaving me w/ about $850 as my copay. However, the doctor charges $6000.00 for 5 years of fills, appointments, etc. I've heard that many doctors charge an amount for 1 year of fills. My question really is about the fact that he charges bypass patients $6000 too, and they don't need fills?:D

Any thoughts?

Can someone out there tell me that has self paid, but kept fighting the insurance and won.. how that works? do you get reimbursed?

I got my 1st denial and we are now in the 1st appeal process. My DH is telling me that if in a week or two that haven't approved it he wants us to go ahead and self pay... keep fighting the insurance and get reimbursed. Is there anyone out there that has done this? How do they reimburse you? Does the insurance company pay you or the hosiptal???

Thanks

:laugh First Consult: 1/3, 2007

ac_cool.gifViewed online 'seminar' 1/3

:grouphug: psych eval test 1/3

:confused: Appt to discuss Psych eval results 1/15

:clap2: Dr. Morton's office called to tell me they faxed my 300+ pages to BCBS 1/19

:faint: waiting.. waiting and well.. waiting some more:pout:

ak_crying.gif got letter from BCBSof TN that I'm not fat enough to qualify for the procedure (summerized by myself of course) 1/30 the day before my 37th bday.

an_angry.gif Starting appeal process 1/31.. my 37th bday

:high5: :peace: Insurance approval________?:dance: :laugh :banana

first meeting with internist at surgeons office ____?

Surgery date_______?:nervous

i voted. i paid 12,5 for everything , this includes my first year of fills, surgeons visits, and nutritionist. i decided i was going to take my life into my own hands. meaning, i was not going to waste time with fighting insurance companies any more.i financed through cap one my payments are a lot less than what I was giving for pre packaged diet food. i was banded on wed. i am glad i have done something that is going to finally make a difference.

synicalchick-

i was initially denied by my insurance company. i sent in the first appeal myself. they denied. i hired kelley and walter lindstrom from obesitylaw.com for my second appeal and won. i was reinbursed by the doctors office and the hosptial. i strongly suggest you appeal, and if you feel like you need a lawyer call kelley and walter. i actually self paid but continued to fight anyway and eventually won......you have to fight to win...right?

feel free to pm me if you need any more details.

I didn't have to pay anything at all for the actual operation or my fills the only out of pocket expense I had to pay was 80 dollars to see the dietician.. At the time of the operation I was only working part time and because I did not earn enough I also had a health care card.I fell into the criteria So medicare paid for the operation.

( Australia )

I paid $7,740.00 for the surgery, and everything related to it, including my motel while there, the only additional thing I had to pay was $272.00 for airfare. So far about $94.00 a pound...and dropping, and worth every penny!!!

Kat

I paid , ( well my wonderful parents paid ) $15, 600 for surgery , I have BB shield and they do not cover any weight loss procedure.... this will include a year of fills and support groups and any meetings i would like to attend ... it was well worth every penny :clap2:

self pay - mine cost 9500 and included pretty much everything except air - since then i've paid between 400-600 (depending on how i traveled) for each fill so it is pretty high. I'm not sorry but i'm still struggling to figure out the right fill level and it's cost me much more then i thought in that regards.

In my opinion fill level (correct fill level) is more complicated then the surgery!

Knowing what i know now i might also have opted for us surgeon although my bmi was probably too low to have a local support group - again something i never thought i would need but now wouold love it!

For the surgery alone, I paid $15,500 -- Surgeon's Fee $5,900; Facility Fee: $8,500; Anesthesia: $900; Low-Profile Port: $200

We had a max out-of-pocket of $1500 for my DW to get the band. We will consider self-pay for myself if I can't get approval after a job change with new insurance. According the my DW, the band the best thing she's ever done for herself.

Sorry,,I dont see a 'buble' to check,,,,but then,,I'm not very smart when it comes to these things,,

I was a self pay and shelled out $16,500 for the surgeon/anesth/hosp PLUS another $500 when my regular GP wouldnt do the presurgical release exam,,,PLUE $239 for a chest xray PLUS $2,000 for a CAT Scan of my lungs when they thought they saw somethihng on the CXR,,which turned out to be nothing,,,grrrr. Needless to say,,being a self pay is extra encouragment when I even THINK about deviating from my new lifestyle.

Deb

Banded 012907

Dr Ken Cleveland

CMMC Medical Ctr-Jackson, MS

330/305/150