Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

Thanks for the support, guys! It's much appreciated. I feel much, much better today. It's just so frustrating when something hurts and you don't know how to make it better and the pain meds aren't working either.

G Rose -

I am so, so glad to hear that things are better today. My husband has a saying that things generally go on about one day more than you think you can possibly stand them. I think that might have been the case for you, but it just makes me happy to know that the tide seems to have turned.

May it continue!

Best,

Deb WS

(who has taken NO pain meds of any kind so far today)!

The only really frustrating thing is that I just cant' lay down in the bed, it hurts like crazy. The couch is fine though, but I don't want to drag my cpap and everything else down here. When did you guys find that you could lay down (propped up by some pillows) in bed comfortably?

Devo-tee, I do not use a cpap machine. But I have a long body pillow, and I used my other two pillows and then the body pillow to raise me higher (mostly because it is then easier to get up!)

You might try that if you have that kind of pillow around..or one of those reading pillows with arms that some folks have.

Best on your recovery,

Deb WS

(who is celebrating exactly one week since surgery at this hour):thumbup:

Devo-tee, I do not use a cpap machine. But I have a long body pillow, and I used my other two pillows and then the body pillow to raise me higher (mostly because it is then easier to get up!)

You might try that if you have that kind of pillow around..or one of those reading pillows with arms that some folks have.

Best on your recovery,

Deb WS

(who is celebrating exactly one week since surgery at this hour):rolleyes2:

Good idea- maybe I will steal all of the pillows from the couch and put them on the bed. heh. Elevation really does help. I"ve been very active tonight with moving around and especially using the breathing exerciser. This is extra important since I have asthma. (TMI alert) when using it, and then coughing like we are supposed to, it felt impossible, but I did cough up some nasty chunks of goo. That goo is really important to get out, and it surprised me that it was in there- so there's some motivation to use that device! I've been working hard at it and it seems to be paying off.

I know tomorrow will be better. Thanks so much to all on here- having these boards to refer to has been a lifesaver!!

Had my LAP-BAND® surgery today in Boise Id. Has great care from SLRMC and Dr. Valentine. I did end up having a hernia repair also, but am feeling great. Was only at the hospital for a total of 6 hours. Have been able to sip, and go to the bathroom. I have a little bit of pain at port sight,but really feel GREAT.

Hi all, wow sounds like everyone is doing great. I like reading all the post info. 11-15 is my surgery and I'm on day frickin 10 shakes and only shakes. No coffee for 2 weeks. No cheating although in my mind I keep thinking one last pizza won't hurt but I dont. my doc has a very strict pre and post plan. Mine is exactly like debs, 2 weeks prior and two week post. It has been so helpful reading all these essentials. I everybody off coffee as well, what is the point of no coffee after surgery? Take care all.

Hi all!! Well, I will officially be here tomorrow! My surgery is scheduled for 7 am! I ahve to be there at 5:30!!

G Rose, my fellow Geiss-er, glad to hear you are feeling better!

I can't believe it is here already!! I will have to go back into the thread here to review all of your great ideas and tips that you have all shared!!

See you over here tomorrow! God night all!!

I was banded on Nov. 1st.....started thick Soups and even snuck in a few mashed potatoes the other day. Did really well so far. Still quite a bit of sorness at the port site, but nothing I can't handle. Was able to do at least a mile on the treadmill too. Very proud of myself.

I was banded on Nov. 8 at 10:00 am. I came home yesterday, Nov. 9. I had alot of pain in the incision sites, but I had a LONG ride home too. Being home all day today, I found that I didn't need the pain meds near as often. I went 8 hours between doses! Yay! I am drinking Water and Crystal Light today. It's funny becuase I feel hungry and my stomach growls (I think it's growling), but when I go to drink more, I feel like I can't drink anymore. I have never been a big drinker throughout the day, so the 30 ounces I got in today was pretty good for me. I can be on a full liquid diet, but am a little scared. I just don't want to get nausea and throw up, so I am taking it slow. I'm afraid to drink cold stuff so I warm it in my mouth before swallowing it. Am I crazy? I also craved a Peanut Butter sandwich today. My 5 year old was home sick from school today and she ate a peanut butter sandwich for dinner and I wanted one so bad! I have to come to the realization that I will not be able to eat one ever again.

I was banded on Nov. 1st.....started thick Soups and even snuck in a few mashed potatoes the other day. Did really well so far. Still quite a bit of sorness at the port site, but nothing I can't handle. Was able to do at least a mile on the treadmill too. Very proud of myself.

Shawna,

Besides being envious of your doctor's regime of Soup (not to mention potatoes!) I am interested to hear about the treadmill. Last night, as I marked one week post-op, I found myself wondering whether I might be able to do a little on the treadmill. I have been thinking that this would probably be OK at this point. Did your surgeon clear this, or did you decide on your own to do it?

Best,

Deb WS

I was banded on Nov. 8 at 10:00 am. I came home yesterday, Nov. 9. I had alot of pain in the incision sites, but I had a LONG ride home too. Being home all day today, I found that I didn't need the pain meds near as often. I went 8 hours between doses! Yay! I am drinking Water and Crystal Light today. It's funny becuase I feel hungry and my stomach growls (I think it's growling), but when I go to drink more, I feel like I can't drink anymore. I have never been a big drinker throughout the day, so the 30 ounces I got in today was pretty good for me. I can be on a full liquid diet, but am a little scared. I just don't want to get nausea and throw up, so I am taking it slow. I'm afraid to drink cold stuff so I warm it in my mouth before swallowing it. Am I crazy? I also craved a Peanut Butter sandwich today. My 5 year old was home sick from school today and she ate a peanut butter sandwich for dinner and I wanted one so bad! I have to come to the realization that I will not be able to eat one ever again.

I think that drinking slowly is very smart -- chugging something is not going to work...so think about what you can consume over 1/2 hour time, or an hour. I don't know that the temperature of the liquid has much to do with anything...I have to say that I am a 'cold' person...I put crushed ice in all my shakes, which I make with an immersion blender...on the other hand, room temperature or warm beverages are comforting!

I suspect that there may be a time when you can have a little peanut butter, but that would not be now. It's a matter of taking it slow. What I am finding is that I have to balance the absolute boredom of Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes with a little (and I mean LITTLE) slippage from the Stage 3 diet.

Last night, that meant a 1/6 cup of baked, mashed winter squash and 1/6 cup of whipped no-fat cottage cheese. First, it tasted GREAT...I could really taste everything...and, combined with my chicken broth, it made everything tolerable.

I hope sharing my experience is helpful. Take it slow!

Best to you and to all,

Deb WS

Just had my first "meal"...SF Jello and a bottle of Water with Crystal Light. The swallow test went fine, I actually didn't mind the taste ofthe yuk.

Doc told me he installed a 14 cc band and filled it with 4 cc, so I have some restriction. In the swallow test, I coups see the yuk gather before the band, then drain through. Pretty cool to watch.

So far this has been about as painless and comfotable as I could have hoped for. (Did I mention the proceedure only took 20 mnutes?) No shoulder pain, no nausea, pro lem gettng in and out of bed and walking. Only issue has been a sore throat, but they have been giving me liquid Tylenol and Chlorasptic spray.

PS I'm really glad I brought my iPhone. It's been great beng able to check in with everyone while still in the hospital.

I hope everybody has a great day!

Edited by LowPSI

Good luck, topazz! I'm sure you're in the PACU already!

Hi All,

I just wanted to join the group. I was banded on the 9th, sent home on the 10th and am doing well. I am able to get 2 Protein Shakes and plenty of Water down. I don't seem to be having gas pain, but am taking my pain meds every six hours for pain around my incisions. I feel really bloated and heavy in the stomach area...seems like some others have mentioned that as well. I'm on liquids for 2 weeks, then mushies. Can't wait to progress to mushies, but am happy with the liquids after the one day of clear liquids pre-op which was horrible!

Best of luck to everyone and it's great to have this site to get such useful info and great support!!

Edited by losingitatlast

I was banded yesterday on the 10th. MY dr was running a little bit late, so we strted at 9:40 instead of 9, but thats okay. I remember they putting the gast on me and then them stating my name and what was going on, then waking up in recovery a few hours later. Yesterday I was sore in the hospital, and still kinda sore at home. Im doing better today. I can burp but cant pass gas (and may I want to be able to sooo bad lol). my back hurt a lot yesterday, but I think that was because I was haying in one position for a long itme. To more I move the better it gets.

My weight lifting restriction is 20lbs, so I could lift my 11 month old, but Im trying nt to. Luckily she started walking this week, so she will walk holding my hand, or by crawling to me.We're staying with friends for a few nights, but I cant wait to sleep in my own bed.

I wanted to share a note about weight gain during the surgery. As a few posted before, the Fluid from surgery makes you GAIN weight when you get it, so don't be sad or look at the scale for a while! I knew I would gain fluid, also since I missed a few doses of diuretic meds during/after the surgery.

I gained TWELVE POUNDS when I got home- and this is after almost no calories for two days! So far I have lost two of those pounds (TMI- peed them right out, ha ha). It will take some time for the rest of the liquid to go away- I can feel a lot of it in my gut, etc. Even more TMI- my main incision (I have five- the big one is right above my bellybutton) is definitely worse than the others, and last night there was a lot of bloody drainage out of it. Hopefully this is normal, and it seems to have calmed down. Not fun cleaning that off the floor through :rolleyes2:

I'm sure this happens to a lot of other people, so I think we should just not look at that scale (or realize it's all fluids!). I have to say I think I have more pain than some others on here, along with a killer headache- I think maybe it's just the different ways we are affected by surgery, and how much they have to dig in there to do the surgery. I have to take two vicodin every four hours just to manage. I found that instead of grinding them and putting them into a spoonful of yogurt, it actually tasted way less bad to just chew them a bit and swallow with Water.< /p>

It is lovely here in MI today so I walked outside, slowly, for half a mile. Being outside was a relief! I hope the rest of you are doing well!