Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

my surgery is on the 19th and someone had mentioned to me that the 2 days of clear liquid right before couldn't be certain colors like red. Did any of you have your doctor's tell you that you couldn't have like a red crystal light even if it was see through??

Well I just got banded on 11/10 and Im making it through the day. I got into a really really comfortable position this morning after I dropped the baby off at daycare and slept for about 4 hours (I had previously been sleeping on a friends couch). WHen I woke up it felt as though nothing had ever been done.... then I moved lol.

Other than that it's not going too bad. I was told to stay on a clear liquid diet for 3 days, but that clear liquid diet is the same as my pre-op diet without the cottage cheese, so Im having yogurt and protien shakes as well.

I also feel alot of rumbling in my tummy. Does anyone else have that? Its not like a hunger rumble, but maybe a gas rumble? I feel like every time I get up from a laying down position I feel a sloshing sensation, and Im worried about the port. It cant flip over just from me layng down on my opposite side can it?

I also tried gas-X to help cure some of the gas and that didnt help. For some odd reason those strips tear me up! I was in even more pain and vowed never again. Ive been burping, but those get stuck, so its a slow process. Heaven help me if I get the hiccups!

Okay, I am officially here!! Feeling a lot of gas pain in my chest, and not hungry at all. I am forcing down broth and jello!!

I did not have to stay in the hospital overnight, and came straight home to bed. I was not comforable at all! All I want to do is sleep and I can't get comfortable!! I really want to lay down instead of being propped up on pillows!!

Tomorrow I start the full liquid diet, so no more clear fluids! WOOT!!

Topazz glad to hear your doing good. I know when I had my gallbladder out if I use a pillow to support my stomach so I could lay on my side might give it a try. Good luck and happy banding!

Hi November bandsters,

I went in today at 8:45 and was banded at 10:45 and home at 6:00 p.m. everything went well. I am sore but I am using my meds. My mid back and upper chest if hurting did anyone else have this issue? I have to keep being woke up to drink because all I want to do is sleep. I will check back in tomorrow.

Hi Shelia! I was banded on 11/8 and it was only the 1st day that I had to be on Clear Liquids. Starting the 2nd day, I was allowed 3-4 oz of a Protein Shake every 4 hours while drinking either Water, broth, hot tea & SF Jello hourly. I'm not hungry at all....only took 3 of my pain pills which I halfed cause I really just wanted to take the edge off. The Protein Shakes help with the hunger for sure. I'm just aware that my sips are probably alittle "bigger" than they will be when I'm filled. Gotta practice! Glad I have all of you to go through this with me!

The gas gets better....just has to dissipate in your body. Mine got trapped behind my shoulder...may as well have been a knife! The doc told me to lay flat as much as possible to speed along the dissipation cause you can burp or fart it out! LOL...also I have that rumbling too and read that it part of the "healing". All new sensations for sure.

Good luck!

Hey guys... I hope I can swing over to the post op thread now, even tho my experience this week was a lil different than some of you guys :(

Essentially, Monday I had surgery with many of the same after-effects as you are mentioning- terrible gas pain particularly behind the shoulders, sore abdomen, etc... cept I'm without a band as of now :P

There was a complication during surgery where an instrument the surgeon inserts to do the procedure nicked my colon (no puncture). So to be safe he decided to hold off on the banding to make sure the nick was healed and no infections came up. It was repaired easily and I'm on a round of antibiotics and antifungal meds, and my surgery is rescheduled for the 29th.

I am going to be very honest here in saying I hesitated to bring this up on the forums, for I'm sure there are varying gut reactions to the situation. For me, I am so greatful that my surgeon did not just go ahead and band (as some would have) and is being cautious. I am greatful he caught the injury. And I found out situations like this have NOT happened very often in the hundreds of cases he has had over the past 8 plus years.

Everyone who's been supporting me is like aren't you disappointed or upset you have to wait again after a year of waiting? My answer is not at all, for that miniscule chance something may happen and that an infection could be even more serious, I can wait a couple more weeks for my lapband :)

So back to work on Monday, off the liquid diet until five days before (yes, the day before Thanksgiving), and getting ready for round two!

Congrats to all you new bandsters from the week! Keep up the great work!

Susan

i just got banded in Vancouver at the cambie clinic on Nov 9th. i have to say the whole experience there was awesome. Dr. Mitchell did my banding and the clinic took great care of me.

i had the surgery in the morning and was back at my hotel that afternoon. i did not sleep well for the first few nights due to being uncomfortable and gassy. however i flew back home yesterday, slept for 12 hours last night and even had another 2 hr nap today!

i didnt take the pain meds once, dont like that stuff. i am still gassy a bit, but other then that feel good. having Soups, and protien shakes, and jugo juices. no sickness feeling whatsoever. i really couldnt be happier about the whole experience.

12 hours post-op. Sipping a lovely beef broth. Taking my Percocet elixer every 4 hours. It's best to stay on top of pain as previously stated. Ask for Zofran for nausea, it is the best anti-nausea med on the planet. I had a small hiatal hernia repair (unknown to me) and woke up with 10/10 pain in my chest and left shoulder. That lasted about 3 hours, nothing semed to help but reassurance from the nurse that I wasn't dying. Now I'm uncomfortable 4/10 pain on Percocet so not too bad. It helps to have someone help you our of a chair, bed etc cuz it hurts a lot to pull with your belly muscles. As I posted a few days ago: Visualizing a safe and comfortable recovery in the hands of a caring doctor and curses really does help recovery. You can even visualize liking broth and Jello (kind of works). Good Luck to all my November bandits. Visualizing successfull weight loss at this very minute.

Hey guys... I hope I can swing over to the post op thread now, even tho my experience this week was a lil different than some of you guys :(

Essentially, Monday I had surgery with many of the same after-effects as you are mentioning- terrible gas pain particularly behind the shoulders, sore abdomen, etc... cept I'm without a band as of now :P

There was a complication during surgery where an instrument the surgeon inserts to do the procedure nicked my colon (no puncture). So to be safe he decided to hold off on the banding to make sure the nick was healed and no infections came up. It was repaired easily and I'm on a round of antibiotics and antifungal meds, and my surgery is rescheduled for the 29th.

I am going to be very honest here in saying I hesitated to bring this up on the forums, for I'm sure there are varying gut reactions to the situation. For me, I am so greatful that my surgeon did not just go ahead and band (as some would have) and is being cautious. I am greatful he caught the injury. And I found out situations like this have NOT happened very often in the hundreds of cases he has had over the past 8 plus years.

Everyone who's been supporting me is like aren't you disappointed or upset you have to wait again after a year of waiting? My answer is not at all, for that miniscule chance something may happen and that an infection could be even more serious, I can wait a couple more weeks for my LAP-BAND® :)

So back to work on Monday, off the liquid diet until five days before (yes, the day before Thanksgiving), and getting ready for round two!

Congrats to all you new bandsters from the week! Keep up the great work!

Susan

That can happen with this surgery and it is so great that your doctor didn't rush the surgery. YAH! You will be post up before you know it...

Hey Group,

I thought I posted before on this line - but don't see it. My lapband was on 11/8/10 - recovery has been pretty good. Did use pain drugs before bed. Now seem to be very constipated - no BM since 11/7. Have drank 8 oz of prune juice - just took Milk of M - things seem to be trying to move. Any one else with Constipation issues? CFitz

2 days post-op and feeling better today. Last night was disasterl. I jsut could not get comfortable and did not sleep more than 4 hours!! I took a nap today trying to lay on my back and I was okay. I slept for 2 hours. I ahve been doing my shakes, a yogurt, and a Soup a little later on. I am jsut so so tired!! i am hoping to get a better night sleep tonight!

Today is my birthday!! I keep saying my next birthday will be 100 times better for so many reasons!

I got out today. We took my son to the park. It was good to be outside in the beautiful fall weather and walk around. Once i get some decent selpp I think I will really start feeling much better!! I am trying very hard to get back to work on Monday, but I am not sure if I can do it. I may just need one more day to recupe.

Hope everyone is doing well. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

susidivah Sorry about the set back. Hang tough, I am now officially 12 days post op and am finally feeling like myself. Your attitude is remarkable considering what has occurred. Its inspirational to me because it helps me realize that the band is a life decision thats worth sticking to. Good Luck

Edited by lisam-OT
Forgot User Id

Had my surgery 11-10-10 and am to only have clear liquids for 1 week. So far I am doing ok with sugar free juice, Protein Water, and broth. Had some gas pain in my shoulder, but have made myself walk 2 blocks 5 or 6 times a day since surgery. Ultimatley, feeling good, not "hungry" yet, and cant imagine clear liquids for that long. I am looking forward to my MuscleMilk Light RTD in only 4 days. Good Luck to you.

Missprin