Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

Not happy.

Every day is exactly the same since I came out of the hospital on Friday: pain, exhaustion, it never seems to get any better. And I'm so TIRED of the smell of that damned Protein powder! UCK. I'm sick of the pain and I'm sick of not being able to drive.

Hugs, the only thing that helped with the pain was walking, A LOT. And the more I moved the more tolerable it became. I am a week out and still getting tinges of pain here and there but over all, most of the gas is gone and I get to drive as soon as I am off pain meds, which I was two to three days out, can't remember exactly.

BIG HUGS feel better soon.

Hi everyone -

I've been reading this site since I got home from the hospital on Nov 3, my "bandate," but this is my first post. I'm envious of those of you who only had to be on a clear liquid diet for a day or two. My doctor requires two weeks on Clear Liquids and while at first I wasn't hungry at all, now my stomach is growling (which part? I don't know!) and I feel very weak and lacking in energy. I planned to go back to work 10 to 14 days out, but if I still feel like this that's not going to happen. I have some questions that I haven't seen discussed here and would value hearing your experiences. Here are a few:

Before surgery I was taking ten pills a day for various issues. Only one of them is available in liquid form so I have to crush or dissolve the others, mix the powder with Water and then shoot it back (not all at once) and it's disgusting. I can't think of a better way to do this -- any ideas?

I've never had surgery before and I'm finding myself incredibly tired. Today I walked my daughter to school, came home and went back to bed. For six hours! And I have no trouble sleeping at night. Is this caused by the surgery? Lack of food? No coffee?

Physically, this has been the worst week of my life. I know it will get better, but the days seem to be dragging by because I'm so hungry. I dream of Tomato soup! I don't even like tomato soup! Is anyone else hungry? If so, what are you doing to keep your mind off of it? I would go to the gym but, like I said above, I have no energy. I love to read, but I'm just not interested right now. I feel like this surgery change ME, not just my stomach. Not that that's a bad thing. I guess I'm having to get to know myself again.

I have been taking pills the size of advil or smaller with no trouble. I have one pill that is bigger, so I have a pill cutter I use to cut in half, then each half is about the same size as an advil. I used to throw 4 or 5 pills at a time into my mouth, but now take one at a time about a minute apart. I went back to work today, after being banded on 11/3, and felt a slight lack of energy but no abdomen pain. Maybe some gas pain in my shoulder, but not real sure - maybe too far out for gas pains still, not sure. I do think lack of energy can definitely be attributed to the sudden change in food intake... are you taking a Vitamin? I found a liquid at costco, tastes like liquid Flintstones...

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Just checking in with you all. I had my procedure on the afternoon of November 3, so as of 5 PM today, it will be one week! I had some pain in my neck last night (and wondered if it could still be gas "leaving the building"), and have gotten down in the pain medication, but not off it completely. Yesterday I had one dose of Tylenol and two of the prescription pain meds (late afternoon and before bed, which I find are the most uncomfortable times). Anyone else experiencing/experience this at the same time in their post-op?

I also allowed myself a little slippage in diet yesterday. I got to the point where I thought that if I looked at one more cup of chicken broth and one more plain Protein Shake with no fruit, I would go nuts. The popsicles and the Jello aren't doing much for me, because I'm not craving sugar - it's some food variety I want.

So I cooked a small amount of noodles and made a light cheese sauce, and mixed them together. I measured out 1/3 of a cup of the noodles, along with 1 c. of chicken broth - for lunch, having had a Protein shake that AM, and some crystal light.

I ate VERY slowly, tiny, tiny bites. I got the 'full' feeling after having 1/2 of what I had...so I stopped. I was amazed to be full at that point, but - so be it. I had a protein shake at 2:15, and at 5:00, I had the rest of that chicken broth/noodle mix. At 7 I had 3/4 c. chicken broth and 1/4 c. noodles, again, VERY slowly consuming, and 1 T (I kid you not) of a shredded cooked carrot casserole I had made for the family. I had another protein shake at 10 PM.

I had a fair amount of stomach gurgling at 11 PM at night, and some through the night, but no reflux, no nausea. Today I feel able to resume my boring chicken broth regime, having had a little variety in the mix...but this also makes me believe that, the next time this hits me in a few days, I could try a tiny bit of cottage cheese or tuna, *slowly* and it would also work (both on the stage 3 diet).

I am writing not so much to confess but to share, to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, and to see what your 'take' on all this is. My surgeon is one who has patients on clear broth, Protein Shakes, SF jello and popsicles, SF beverages, for two full weeks before moving to smooth or pureed foods.

In search of collective wisdom,

Deb WS

weight.png

Hey Everyone,

It's been a few days since I've posted, but hope everyone is doing fine. I'm doing well... still some discomfort in my port site, but the gas. The steri strips on the incisions are gone, and all but one band-aid is gone. Still keeping the largest incision covered. I go back to work Friday night, so I am wondering if there will be any discomfort at my port site with my body armor over it. The great news is that the scale read 280lbs this morning. That's 17 pounds lost post-op!!!!!

Deb, I know how you are feeling.... after over a week on liquids, I am ready for some kind of texture. I too have added a little more into my diet..... no major meal yet, just stopped straining all the cream Soups, so there are small bites to chew on. I'm totally off my pain meds now, but like you was taking one right before bed and that really helped me through the night.

Congrats to all the newest bandsters!!!!

John

Edited by jguttery

I might as well join in on the fun! I was banded on November 8. I stayed overnight and got home last night. Today I have some pain, but MUCH better than the first 2 days. I think alot of mine was gas pains. I had pain in my left shoulder and my mid-chest (breastbone site). I am just trying to be hydrated today. I am allowed clear liquids-1 oz. every 15 minutes. So, I'm sitting here with my timer and my bottle of Water at room temperature. I can't wait until my diet progresses in a few weeks. I haven't had any nausea at all! I take liquid pain medicine for the incisional pain, plus it helps with the gas pains somewhat as well. I am off work the rest of this week and plan to go back on MOnday. I wanted the time at home to recover and be able to sit with my timer to remind me when to drink.

By the way, how do you get that ticker thing to show up? I've tried numerous times and I just can't get it to work.

Congrats to all this week's bandsters! Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. It really is great to read everyone's stories. It really helps knowing what is to come. I have had 5 lap. surgery's done over the past 10 years, due to female issues. I know how that pain can feel, but I am not looking forward to it. I have never been able to have surgery on an out patient basis, so I think that has me most worried. From reading everyone's posts, it looks like you all stayed overnight. Is anyone here have there surgery and leave the same day? If so, how long where you there?

My sugery was done on 11/8. I went in at 6:30 AM had surgery at 7:30 AM and was out by noon. So far so good.

Just checking in with you all. I had my procedure on the afternoon of November 3, so as of 5 PM today, it will be one week! I had some pain in my neck last night (and wondered if it could still be gas "leaving the building"), and have gotten down in the pain medication, but not off it completely. Yesterday I had one dose of Tylenol and two of the prescription pain meds (late afternoon and before bed, which I find are the most uncomfortable times). Anyone else experiencing/experience this at the same time in their post-op?

I also allowed myself a little slippage in diet yesterday. I got to the point where I thought that if I looked at one more cup of chicken broth and one more plain Protein Shake with no fruit, I would go nuts. The popsicles and the Jello aren't doing much for me, because I'm not craving sugar - it's some food variety I want.

So I cooked a small amount of noodles and made a light cheese sauce, and mixed them together. I measured out 1/3 of a cup of the noodles, along with 1 c. of chicken broth - for lunch, having had a Protein shake that AM, and some crystal light.

I ate VERY slowly, tiny, tiny bites. I got the 'full' feeling after having 1/2 of what I had...so I stopped. I was amazed to be full at that point, but - so be it. I had a protein shake at 2:15, and at 5:00, I had the rest of that chicken broth/noodle mix. At 7 I had 3/4 c. chicken broth and 1/4 c. noodles, again, VERY slowly consuming, and 1 T (I kid you not) of a shredded cooked carrot casserole I had made for the family. I had another protein shake at 10 PM.

I had a fair amount of stomach gurgling at 11 PM at night, and some through the night, but no reflux, no nausea. Today I feel able to resume my boring chicken broth regime, having had a little variety in the mix...but this also makes me believe that, the next time this hits me in a few days, I could try a tiny bit of cottage cheese or tuna, *slowly* and it would also work (both on the stage 3 diet).

I am writing not so much to confess but to share, to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, and to see what your 'take' on all this is. My surgeon is one who has patients on clear broth, Protein Shakes, SF jello and popsicles, SF beverages, for two full weeks before moving to smooth or pureed foods.

In search of collective wisdom,

Deb WS

weight.png

Deb I have been having Snacks, little bits, but not related to noodles. I take a small bite of a meat and chew it into oblivion. It has been helping. Not even a measurable amount, maybe a tablespoon of meat and really chewing good so that I do not need liquid or anything. It's hard, but it's coming along.

Hi Everyone! I was banded on Monday 11/8...still feel very sore and still have a travelling gas pain which is not by my shoulder. Not unbearable but still very sore. Not hungry at all...but I do notice my tummy grumbles at night. I'm doing the 4 oz of liquid every hr. while awake but realized that I may be constipated. Good luck all!

Hi Everyone! I was banded on Monday 11/8...still feel very sore and still have a travelling gas pain which is not by my shoulder. Not unbearable but still very sore. Not hungry at all...but I do notice my tummy grumbles at night. I'm doing the 4 oz of liquid every hr. while awake but realized that I may be constipated. Good luck all!

My gas pains were never in my shoulder either....maybe the first night but after that it was just mainly a bloated full feeling. I had the stomach grumbles too, but someone had said that was part of the healing.... felt like hunger grumbles but they weren't. Also Ducolax was a great relief for me..... got things moving!!!! However it wasn't the gentle overnight relief like it said on the box... more like 4 hrs and off the couch and headed to the bathroom in a hurry, LOL.

Thanks for the support, guys! It's much appreciated. I feel much, much better today. It's just so frustrating when something hurts and you don't know how to make it better and the pain meds aren't working either!

I'm down about 15 pounds from pre-surgery, and I feel a bit thinner. It's probably psychosomatic since I weighed so much to start with! But I'm on my way.

And hugs to everyone--we're all in this together.

Thanks for the support, guys! It's much appreciated. I feel much, much better today. It's just so frustrating when something hurts and you don't know how to make it better and the pain meds aren't working either!

I'm down about 15 pounds from pre-surgery, and I feel a bit thinner. It's probably psychosomatic since I weighed so much to start with! But I'm on my way.

And hugs to everyone--we're all in this together.

It's great to hear you are feeling better. 15 pounds is amazing!!! Go pick up an object that weighs that much, and you will realize just how much you have stopped carrying around.

Hi All:

I'm home from being banded yesterday. Everything went great, but the pain was greater than I expected it would be. The meds knocked it down, but I had to ask for them and communicate well about the pain to have it treated. Especially in the recovery room- it was bad in there.

It was interesting- the floor I was on was pretty dead, and noone bugged me to walk- I pushed myself to walk, which was a good idea. However, I got barely any sleep due to the pain. The constant burning pain is OK and treatable, but that gas pain that comes and goes seems to wake me up just as I fall asleep every time, urg!

I'm sure things will get better with time. I'm trying to take drinking really slowly and I've already devoured six SF popsicles, which are nice since they sort of automatically make you ingest the liquid slowly. I've never looked so forward to a Protein shake though- tomorrow!!

My doc (sigh) gave me vicodin big giant pills (WHY?), so I'm crushing them with a spoonful of yogurt and swallowing it carefully in three tiny swallows. That is working very well, and I will crush my other meds too just to be safe, and follow them with some warm tea.

I sort of can't believe I actually finally got this done! It's like a dream. Well, the vicodin helps with that feeling.

The XRAY test was not bad at all, btw. It was super quick, and the stuff you swallow is gross but not SUPER HORRID or anything, and it's just tiny swallows. They showed me the xray when I asked when I was waiting to go back to my room, and it was really cool to look at- I suggest asking if you're interested! You can see your very own band. I was like: hi band!

Obviously I am loopy and intend to stay that way as long as this pain is so bad. Off to shuffle around the house again. The only really frustrating thing is that I just cant' lay down in the bed, it hurts like crazy. The couch is fine though, but I don't want to drag my cpap and everything else down here. When did you guys find that you could lay down (propped up by some pillows) in bed comfortably?

Thanks and good luck to everyone about to get their surgery! I have to say the people at Alma/Great Lakes Surgical Center were fantastic.

Hi All:

I'm home from being banded yesterday. Everything went great, but the pain was greater than I expected it would be. The meds knocked it down, but I had to ask for them and communicate well about the pain to have it treated. Especially in the recovery room- it was bad in there.

It was interesting- the floor I was on was pretty dead, and noone bugged me to walk- I pushed myself to walk, which was a good idea. However, I got barely any sleep due to the pain. The constant burning pain is OK and treatable, but that gas pain that comes and goes seems to wake me up just as I fall asleep every time, urg!

I'm sure things will get better with time. I'm trying to take drinking really slowly and I've already devoured six SF popsicles, which are nice since they sort of automatically make you ingest the liquid slowly. I've never looked so forward to a Protein shake though- tomorrow!!

My doc (sigh) gave me vicodin big giant pills (WHY?), so I'm crushing them with a spoonful of yogurt and swallowing it carefully in three tiny swallows. That is working very well, and I will crush my other meds too just to be safe, and follow them with some warm tea.

I sort of can't believe I actually finally got this done! It's like a dream. Well, the vicodin helps with that feeling.

The XRAY test was not bad at all, btw. It was super quick, and the stuff you swallow is gross but not SUPER HORRID or anything, and it's just tiny swallows. They showed me the xray when I asked when I was waiting to go back to my room, and it was really cool to look at- I suggest asking if you're interested! You can see your very own band. I was like: hi band!

Obviously I am loopy and intend to stay that way as long as this pain is so bad. Off to shuffle around the house again. The only really frustrating thing is that I just cant' lay down in the bed, it hurts like crazy. The couch is fine though, but I don't want to drag my cpap and everything else down here. When did you guys find that you could lay down (propped up by some pillows) in bed comfortably?

Thanks and good luck to everyone about to get their surgery! I have to say the people at Alma/Great Lakes Surgical Center were fantastic.

Hey hon here is a hint, sleep as elevated as possible, the gas won't wake you up so much. Walk, walk, and walk again. Even if it is just up and down the hall, you will start expelling the gas. Welcome to the banded world!

Hi All:

When did you guys find that you could lay down (propped up by some pillows) in bed comfortably?

It was probably day 4 before I really got a great nights sleep in bed and that was making sure I didn't roll over to my port side. I found taking some pain med, just before bed helped a lot!!!!

I am now banded....which was and will be a wonderful experience....I am in a lot of pain here and there but as of this moment I am able to just relax a little more. The pain after surgery was terrible...I had a c-section and thought that getting banded would be a piece of cake but it's not and pain does seem to wake me up and I haven't been getting in as much fluids as I am supposed to while I am home. I am trying but moving and sleeping seems to be the only things I really want to do. I have taken a bath...because my body never fits all the way in the tub so I knew my incisions would not get wet...it was a great feeling..it took some of the extra pressure off my legs....I also am trying to get down some new broths I bought and only use my pain meds...when the pain is not tolerable anymore.

Good luck to those who have been banded and to those soon to be banded.

Starting weight: 403

Surgery weight:377

Current Weight: ????

Goal Weight 195

"My life made a different path on Nov 9th 2010 when I was Banded.":thumbup: