Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

I am glad you said you ate soft foods I had my surgery last week and I have also been having soft foods. If I over due it I feel stomach spasms almost like hiccupping. Has that happened to you???

Hey Y'all,

Hoping that everyone who has had surgery this week is doing just fine, and anyone having surgery today the best of luck. Yesterday was a no energy day for me. I didn't take my pain medication all day.... and felt miserable. Not because of the pain... just a general no energy, bloated gassy day. For the most part it was just a day of the blahs!!!!!! Transitioned to full liquids... so creamed Soups were a nice change. Would love to be able to actually chew on something though. Had one nice discovery... in the hospital I was told I had four small incisions and two larger ones.... pulled back one of the lager band-aids and it was just a small 1 cm incision. So that makes 5 small and 1 larger (which isn't that large anyways, probably about 2"). Hope everyone has a wonderful day... I plan on making today better than yesterday!!!!:frown:

How are you feeling today? Hope you are better!

It's only been three days and I already want foods. I was told I had to wait at least seven days. Surgery was on Tuesday, so making Friday only really 3 full days. I understand the liquid diet is for healing, but man I just want a piece of chicken. Actually of all the things I am craving, it's chicken and spinach. Go figure....

How are you feeling today? Hope you are better!

I'm feeling a lot better today.... still have that bloated feeling, but not near as bad as yesterday. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to chew on something..... chicken sounded really good right now!!!!

I am glad you said you ate soft foods I had my surgery last week and I have also been having soft foods. If I over due it I feel stomach spasms almost like hiccupping. Has that happened to you???

I started eating soft foods yesterday, my first experience were with mashed potatos, had heart burn all evening started with 1/4 cup and progressed to 1/2 cup should have stopped at 2/4 cup. I will learn. This morning I had a small omlet made with egg beaters, 1/2 cup egg beaters with some peppers, onions, a little cheese. I ate 1/2 of it and not problem. Went back to work today and for lunch I stuck with 1/4 cup black bean Soup with Protein Powder and a Protein Shake. Afraid I would get sick at work. Tonight I had some Deli turkey slices and some mushy carrots, not very appealing. but to your question when I eat solids sometimes if I eat just a little to much I am very uncomfortable. Today I had more calories then I have had since surgery. I had been staying around 450-500 calories perday today I had 700 and met my goals of Protein of 75 gms.(My doctor wants me to take in 60-80 gms per day) sugar free popcycles are my friend the quiet down my stomach. Yesterday at post op visit I was told my pouch opening was still swollen and this would loosen up over next few weeks and I would start to feel hungry before my first adjustment. So far I don't feel hungry, I have to make my self eat.

Hi all, wow you all are such an inspiration hearing the stories of your surgeries and thoughts. I am having surgery Nov. 15 and I'm on day 4 of only shakes total 2 weeks of shakes. I have a pre-op class today 4 hours did you all do that as well? I have never been under so I'm scared. Is the pain meds pills or something else, I didn't think we could take pills.< /div>

Firechic:

Brigham and Women's Hospital, and my insurance company, required six consecutive months of nutrition classes at the hospital. While I was annoyed that I had to take them, given the nutritionist meetings, psych meetings, and other stuff I had already taken, I found them very helpful. If you pay attention you will learn great stuff about reading labels and making smart choices for food.

About anesthesia: try not to worry. Your anesthesiologist will start an IV line in your arm with saline, and when you are brought into the operating room, they will put an oxygen mask on your face, which is just fine. And then they'll give you some medication to make you go to sleep - it's easy and gentle. When you wake up you should be all 'done' and you'll have oxygen on again, and there shouldn't be a tube down your throat at that point - so you won't remember any of that.

And remember, they do have good pain management drugs available - and others are right in suggesting that you should use them. Letting the pain get hold of you by 'toughing it out' makes it harder, in the end, to manage the pain.

You will be fine, I know. It is a threshold to step over!

Best,

Deb WS

If it helps my 3rd and 4th day were the worst for gas by day 5 I was able to have liquids and tolerate. I really was not able to do the Protein until day 6 and I am still struggling with getting the amount they want me to have in 24 hours along with meals and Water. I average around 350-500 calories a day and staying pretty tired. I have also found the gas pains come back if I drink to fast.

LovetheNewMe and others:

It really does help to hear your stories.

This is day 3 post-op for me. I am definitely needing to continue Gas X, and I have not been successful, yet, in reaching my Fluid goals: either Protein shakes or other fluids. Yesterday I managed 32 oz. fluids (chicken broth, crystal light, water) and 32 oz (4) Protein shakes...just couldn't do more. I did get in 2 Calcium chews, my Flintstones Vitamin, and my two prescription meds.

But there is this feeling that I just can't tolerate more - so I'm hoping that, for the moment, it's enough! Others' experience welcome. I also still need the prescription pain medication...wish it were otherwise, but I find that my gut just hurts (can't take a deep breath without it catching, achy, etc.) unless I stay on the pain meds.

Nonetheless, I am so, so happy that I made this choice.

Deb WS

LovetheNewMe and others:

This is day 3 post-op for me. I am definitely needing to continue Gas X, and I have not been successful, yet, in reaching my Fluid goals: either Protein shakes or other fluids. Yesterday I managed 32 oz. fluids (chicken broth, crystal light, water) and 32 oz (4) Protein shakes...just couldn't do more. I did get in 2 calcium chews, my Flintstones Vitamin, and my two prescription meds.

But there is this feeling that I just can't tolerate more - so I'm hoping that, for the moment, it's enough! Others' experience welcome. I also still need the prescription pain medication...wish it were otherwise, but I find that my gut just hurts (can't take a deep breath without it catching, achy, etc.) unless I stay on the pain meds.

Nonetheless, I am so, so happy that I made this choice.

Deb WS

Deb,

Glad your doing well, I am 10 days post op now and yesterday I took in the most calories, protein and fluids I had since surgery. I managed to get 75 gms of protein and actually ate 3 small meals and drank the majority of my liquids. I was worried about this but my doc told me it would take time and just to make sure I got my Protein drinks in and maintain my protein level between 60-80gms. I still get gas and am still using my gas-X, I realized last night was the first night I did not need my pain pill or meds for nauesa. I advanced to soft foods on thursday but have taken it very slow after the mashed potatos gave me heartburn for 4 hours. I am still not hungry but the doc says this will change over the next few weeks, not looking forward to that. He says as swelling subsides the opening to my stomach will be larger and foods will go through quicker. I go back in two weeks but originally he told me he does not fill until 4 to 6 weeks. Still dropping weight but when your only eating around 500 cal that is to be expected. Yesterday I took in 700 cal, woohoo. A milestone. I am glad I made this choice and only wish I had done it sooner. I think the part I like best is I am not hunger, I always felt hunger on diets. Have a great day and keep us posted on your progress.:eek:

I got my band on Thursday and came out of the hospital yesterday. I have been in terrible pain and nothing is touching it--bear in mind that I have chronic pain usually and my experience is not necessarily what everyone else will have. I'm still on Clear Liquids. No hunger, but it's hrd for me to remember to sip drinks instead of just chugging them down as usual.

I got my band on Thursday and came out of the hospital yesterday. I have been in terrible pain and nothing is touching it--bear in mind that I have chronic pain usually and my experience is not necessarily what everyone else will have. I'm still on clear liquids. No hunger, but it's hard for me to remember to sip drinks instead of just chugging them down as usual.

My pain post op for a few days was pretty bad, I used some ice on my stomach for 15 minute intervals and it helped ease the pain a little. Walking short intervals helped a lot also, the gas pains are the worse and the more you move the better it gets. I ate a lot of Sf pop cycles by first few days and crushed ice, make sure you stay well hydrated. I hope you feel better soon.

I was banded yesteday. Have discomfort and a little pain in the incisions but that has been just about it... Been sipping on Water and feeling good. Burping a little not really feeling any gas pain. Hopefully this will continue and taper off. I am on a pureed diet right off the bat, but I haven't ventured to eat yet. Not really hungry, but sipping water, don't want to get dehydrated.

Hi All - I was banded November 3, and am feeling pretty good. Have been having liquids, 2 Protein shakes a day (sounds low compared to what most of you have been instructed to do). Last night DH picked up egg drop Soup from a local restaurant, and strained it, left a thick broth, it was the best thing I have had to eat post op! I am on a liquid diet for 3 weeks post op, I am sure that will be challenging, seems like a long time, but even creamed Soups are ok as long as I strain out any chunks. FF puddings, yogurts (even fro-yo ok for this stage) so hoping I can find enough variety to keep it from getting boring. Any ideas you guys have would be great! After the 3 weeks, one week mushy food then onto soft foods. I admit at this point I think I am going to be scared to eat solid food...

Keep posting, I am learning something from every one of you!

Soph

Hi All - I was banded November 3, and am feeling pretty good. Have been having liquids, 2 Protein shakes a day (sounds low compared to what most of you have been instructed to do). Last night DH picked up egg drop Soup from a local restaurant, and strained it, left a thick broth, it was the best thing I have had to eat post op! I am on a liquid diet for 3 weeks post op, I am sure that will be challenging, seems like a long time, but even creamed Soups are ok as long as I strain out any chunks. FF puddings, yogurts (even fro-yo ok for this stage) so hoping I can find enough variety to keep it from getting boring. Any ideas you guys have would be great! After the 3 weeks, one week mushy food then onto soft foods. I admit at this point I think I am going to be scared to eat solid food...

Keep posting, I am learning something from every one of you!

Soph

Sophie you are the day after me so good for you to eat something other then Protein Shakes. I have to drink 60-74 grams of Protein a day. So I have three, 11oz, myloplex 20gram shakes. Tell you what, I am sick and tired of them. DONE! Looking for other recipes and I bought a bunch of BariWise and WonderSlim drinks. I haven't tried them all. One I got was hot cocoa and that was okay. The strawberry was delish. I can start mushy foods in a few days, around the 7th day I guess. Sometimes 14 days, just depends on healing. I keep thinking I am hungry but it is probably just because of gas. LOL

LovetheNewMe and others:

This is day 3 post-op for me. I am definitely needing to continue Gas X, and I have not been successful, yet, in reaching my Fluid goals: either Protein shakes or other fluids. Yesterday I managed 32 oz. fluids (chicken broth, crystal light, water) and 32 oz (4) Protein shakes...just couldn't do more. I did get in 2 calcium chews, my Flintstones Vitamin, and my two prescription meds.

Deb WS

I am told to get in 60-74 grams of protein and at least 64 oz of fluids. So it sounds like you are making the amounts you need to and taking meds. I had surgery done November 2, 2010 and I am feeling really well. I have stayed off the RX pain meds and tylenol for two days. I find when I am on it I over do it. So I am struggling a little but okay. Up, walking around, the gas is a lot less and just doing things like walking a certain distance, I get a little tired quicker.

I had only one incision in my belly button and a small slice up under my left breast, neither are too sore. I am achey if anything and sometimes feel like burning in the muscle. It is healing so I am trying to ignore it. When I first wake up is the hardest with the pain, after that I am okay. Oh and having to use the bathroom is a trick sometimes too. LOL

As far as protein I am getting 64-72 depending on the day and then fluids I am usually in the 70s. Taking my meds every day and literally drinking something all day long.

Hope you are feeling better today.

I was banded yesteday. Have discomfort and a little pain in the incisions but that has been just about it... Been sipping on Water and feeling good. Burping a little not really feeling any gas pain. Hopefully this will continue and taper off. I am on a pureed diet right off the bat, but I haven't ventured to eat yet. Not really hungry, but sipping Water, don't want to get dehydrated.

Make sure you get your Protein in too, it aids in healing hon. Glad you aren't in too much pain. I found Day 3 was the hardest. Or day two if you go by 24 hour intervals. Good luck.