Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

Hi everyone and thanks for sharing your feelings. Its post op day 5 for me and getting better one day at a time. I dont have hunger yet but im sure if i went to where good food was being served i would want some!!! Well i have just been home so i really havent been challanged that way. My abd pain is less today and i feel pretty good i wrap my tummy with clear plastic to take my shower since my discharge instructions state no shower to keep incissions dry. Well remember it does get better and just keep sipping because i too have to force my self to drink the Protein Shakes and sip Water i guess in time we will be better with that. Speedy healing to all bandsters and good luck to soon to be. God bless

Well today was 12 days since banded. scales are down 10lbs since day of surgery. Still now restriction in my band yet but really do not feel hungry, still get indigestion after my evening meal. I also still have some discomfort around my port site but for the most part things are going pretty good I think. I don't get my first fill until between 4 and 6 weeks, I go back to the doctor on the 18th of Novemeber and he said last week by week 3 I should start feeling hungry. Hope everyone is doing well.:)

I get banded tomorrow! I am sort of freaking out!! :thumbup:

I found something that helps so much with the Protein Shakes. I found Sugar Free Chocolate soymilk at Meijer. It's only 50 cals/serving, sweetened with splenda, 6g Protein. So I make the shakes with that instead of Water (tastes horrible) or milk (too many carbs) and oh my, it makes them SO much better. Have to wait for the bubbles in the shakes to go away after surgery, though, so I"ll shake up a few canning jars worth in the morning and just let it sit in the fridge.

I predict the rule I will break is: no straws. However, I have been practicing on taking the first sip, holding my tongue on the end of the straw, blowing the air out of my mouth, and then taking a drink. No air that way. And as long as you keep sipping slowly and don't break the vacuum, no air gets back in.

Good luck all you other nov 9thers :thumbup: -j

Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow, we will all be waiting here for you when you get out. On a side note, I tried to give up my straws and I still use them. I tried but when I was lying in bed I kept drowning myself. :)

I want to be part of this group and dont know how - I had surgery 11-4 and today (day 4) I am feeling pretty miserable.

I am not sure whether you are asking for help with posting on this bulletin board, or whether you're wishing you were more enthusiastic, as some other are!

If it's help with posting, I think you've mastered it - we welcome you! If it's connection and support - I think it is definitely true that everyone has different experiences. I found that Day 4 to Day 5 was a definite difference for me...and one more day may mean that for you, too. I also have learned, first-hand, that taking your pain medication, as opposed to trying to 'tough it out' can help a lot.

Be well, and come back and tell us more about how you are doing.

Deb WS

So question on posting... I know when I used to do Weight Watchers online, there was like a group name and someone started a new thread everyday... That is apparently not how this works, so what is the quickest way to find this thread everyday, is there a way to bookmark it or something? I am new to the site, figured out the ticker thing today... I'll get it figured out soon.

Devo-tee - good luck tomorrow, you'll do great!

Back to work tomorrow - Hope everyone has a great night!

I want to be part of this group and dont know how - I had surgery 11-4 and today (day 4) I am feeling pretty miserable.

Hope you feel better soon, give it a few days. The first week is tough, were all here to support you. Welcome to the group.

Hi, I just joined the site today. I have been reading up on what to expect after the surgery. My surgery is scheduled for Friday, November, 19 of this month. I am a bit nervous, as I really want this to work for me. I hope to learn a lot before my surgery. I am also nervous because I have chronic Migraines and I am use to taking 800mg of Mortin or Advil Cold and Sinus to get rid of them. It just depends on the kind of Migraine I have. One migraine trigger for me is dieting. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, is it different with the band? Does anyone know if you can have band slippage due to excessive coughing? My allergies cause me to cough so much sometimes I almost throw up. I am worried this may cause a problem. Congratulations to all of those who were recently banded!!! I can't wait to join you.

Can anyone tell me how many ounces of Fluid you can take in & hour? Or how many your Dr. says you should be taking in? Tomorrow will be one week since I had my surgery.

Hello I was just banded this past sat. in Mexico. The experience was a good one . I'm not in pain like I thought that I would be. When i sit too long for I feel sore but other than that I guess everything is good.

Hi everyone -

I've been reading this site since I got home from the hospital on Nov 3, my "bandate," but this is my first post. I'm envious of those of you who only had to be on a clear liquid diet for a day or two. My doctor requires two weeks on Clear Liquids and while at first I wasn't hungry at all, now my stomach is growling (which part? I don't know!) and I feel very weak and lacking in energy. I planned to go back to work 10 to 14 days out, but if I still feel like this that's not going to happen. I have some questions that I haven't seen discussed here and would value hearing your experiences. Here are a few:

Before surgery I was taking ten pills a day for various issues. Only one of them is available in liquid form so I have to crush or dissolve the others, mix the powder with Water and then shoot it back (not all at once) and it's disgusting. I can't think of a better way to do this -- any ideas?

I've never had surgery before and I'm finding myself incredibly tired. Today I walked my daughter to school, came home and went back to bed. For six hours! And I have no trouble sleeping at night. Is this caused by the surgery? Lack of food? No coffee?

Physically, this has been the worst week of my life. I know it will get better, but the days seem to be dragging by because I'm so hungry. I dream of Tomato soup! I don't even like tomato soup! Is anyone else hungry? If so, what are you doing to keep your mind off of it? I would go to the gym but, like I said above, I have no energy. I love to read, but I'm just not interested right now. I feel like this surgery change ME, not just my stomach. Not that that's a bad thing. I guess I'm having to get to know myself again.

I too am getting sick of Protein Shakes. I went to the GNC store and I found some no sugar Isopure high Protein shakes. I thought this might be good since it was a drink verses a thick shake. Well, it tastes as bad, if not worse than the protein shakes. I too get so sick of the sweetness. However, I can have creamy Soups now. I hardly eat anything at all though. I do know when I am full. I was curious about that, but when Im done, Im done.

I don't get spasms, but I do get what feels like gas pain. I've had so much of gas pain, it's not too bad. I pretty much know when I'm full. I really don't eat until, I'm full. I measure a very small portion and eat slowly and then quit and about 10 minutes later, I'm full. I do get full quickly though.

Hi everyone -

I've been reading this site since I got home from the hospital on Nov 3, my "bandate," but this is my first post. I'm envious of those of you who only had to be on a clear liquid diet for a day or two. My doctor requires two weeks on clear liquids and while at first I wasn't hungry at all, now my stomach is growling (which part? I don't know!) and I feel very weak and lacking in energy. I planned to go back to work 10 to 14 days out, but if I still feel like this that's not going to happen. I have some questions that I haven't seen discussed here and would value hearing your experiences. Here are a few:

Before surgery I was taking ten pills a day for various issues. Only one of them is available in liquid form so I have to crush or dissolve the others, mix the powder with Water and then shoot it back (not all at once) and it's disgusting. I can't think of a better way to do this -- any ideas?

I've never had surgery before and I'm finding myself incredibly tired. Today I walked my daughter to school, came home and went back to bed. For six hours! And I have no trouble sleeping at night. Is this caused by the surgery? Lack of food? No coffee?

Physically, this has been the worst week of my life. I know it will get better, but the days seem to be dragging by because I'm so hungry. I dream of Tomato soup! I don't even like tomato soup! Is anyone else hungry? If so, what are you doing to keep your mind off of it? I would go to the gym but, like I said above, I have no energy. I love to read, but I'm just not interested right now. I feel like this surgery change ME, not just my stomach. Not that that's a bad thing. I guess I'm having to get to know myself again.

SamGirl,

Every Doctor is differnent on how he progresses your diet. Mine progressed mine to soft after one week but I still find myself migrating back to thick liquids and adding Protein Powder to the Soups or mashed potatos. It takes a while to learn to eat again. I have a question for you, I took several medications before surgery and I restarted these post op. I have not crushed any of my medications, I was told to swallow one at a time and sometimes I have to space them out. Now my vitamans are all chewable. Did your doctor tell you to crush your meds? If some of your tablets are large you could break in half or if you need to crush you could mask the flavor in some pudding or yogurt. Just remember we are all individual and heal at our own pace and this will get better. I am almost two weeks out and learn something new every day. Keep up the good work, we all can do this, one day at a time.

I too am getting sick of Protein Shakes. I went to the GNC store and I found some no sugar Isopure high Protein shakes. I thought this might be good since it was a drink verses a thick shake. Well, it tastes as bad, if not worse than the protein shakes. I too get so sick of the sweetness. However, I can have creamy Soups now. I hardly eat anything at all though. I do know when I am full. I was curious about that, but when Im done, Im done.

knoebelcamper,

I struggled also with the sweetness of the Protein Drinks. I found a website, bariatriceating.com and have ordered several of their shakes and they are not as sweet as the premixed or the powders at GNC. They are low in carbs, around 110-120 cal have 30gm protein and you only have to mix in 4 ozs of liquid. If you use milk they give you 5-6gms more. The flavors I have tried are Dutch chocolate cake, ice cream sandwich and carmel lattee. The chocolate is the richest and tastes like a rich hot coca. They also sell a tasteless, no odor powder you can mix in your soups or mushy foods that adds 12=24gms protein to your food depending on wheither you add one or two scoops. I will tell you that it does get easier as you progress but it is a work in progress. Good luck.

So question on posting... I know when I used to do Weight Watchers online, there was like a group name and someone started a new thread everyday... That is apparently not how this works, so what is the quickest way to find this thread everyday, is there a way to bookmark it or something? I am new to the site, figured out the ticker thing today... I'll get it figured out soon.

Sophie and others:

Yes, you can bookmark this discussion. at the top of the page you should also see a breadcrumb navigation which shows you that this thread is within the post-op surgery questions and answers section, called November 2010 Bandsters - post op. Once you post, you'll also get a notification when there is an update. You do have to click the link to go into the thread, but it's not a bad thing to do.

Glad to have you here.

Deb WS