Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

It is so interesting to hear of others' post-surg diet requirements on here. I can understand the need for different pre-surg diets, depending on liver size, weight needed to be lost to be able to do the surgery, etc. But why some can't even take anything but Clear liquids + Protein shakes, vs strained cream liquids, vs mushies, is interesting. I think the plan my doc gave us goes overboard since it was also written for gastric bypass patients, and I'm hoping I heal faster so I can advance through the stages more quickly (10 days on clear liquids!! then 10 on cream liquids!! then 10 on puree, then on to soft, is a long time, but I understand if you've actually had your stomach cut up..!)

Thanks for posting. My surgery is on tuesday PM, come home wednesday, and I"m sure I'll be posting loopy pain med posts :eek:

Devo-tee....

Every doctor is different with the pre-op diet based on weight, liver size, etc. So that part you are correct. However, even the variations of the doctors can be very different with in the practice itself. I chose my doctor out of the group because his preop diet was Protein and vegtables. So I would go out and order chicken and steamed veggies. The other doctor in the practice was two weeks of liquids. My doctor only made me do the pre op diet for a week before because I am on the thinner side and in almost perfect health other then the weight.

As far as post op. For bypass patients they have to be on liquids for a lot longer because they can not handle food. They have to let all those incisions heal. For banding, we are trying to let the inflammation that happens from placing the band to decrease. You don't want to start mushy food if you are still inflammed, it can cause a lot of pain. So letting the inflammation go down is super important. However, if after a week on liquids, I would recommend talking to your doctor about it. My doctors rule is 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mush, 2 weeks solids. If after 1 week of liquids we feel hungry then we can go to mushy. I don't think this completely answers your question but I hope it makes it more understandable at least a little. It really does depend on the doctor. If you are starving on liquids though it is super important to communicate that with your doctor.

I was banded yesterday @ William Beamount in Royal Oak Mi. by Dr. Krause. The surgery was scheduled for 12:15 and went off without a hitch... I did have a small hernia repair that was made during the surgery. The staff at the hospital was great and I spent most of the day sucking on ice chips and relaxing in bed. I got up at about 5 for my first walk and continued periodic walks throughout the night. I am so glad I kept moving because my gas pains were relatively minor. I had an upper GI this morning and everything was great. I ate some Jello, a couple bites of popsicle and some nasty tasting cream of mushroom Soup (strained of anything good). I made it home at about 3 this afternoon and have been trying to drink Water and relax. I was able to manage a half of a Protein Shake but I think it is going to be difficult to get all of the Protein I need for the next week. Overall I feel sore but good and am really excited about my future weight loss... By the way I gained 6 pounds in the hostpital. It must be all the fluids that they keep pumping into you.

My preop diet is one week full liquids, one week puree, one week mushy, then normal.

Welcome HOME mjohnpb.... Wishing you a speedy recovery. When I came home I was feeling okay, the following day was probably a little bit harder on me and when I first wake up. Don't forget to get up and walk. I gained 4lbs in the hospital from IV fluids and it took me about 4 days to get it all off.

I have two weeks of those horrendous Protein Shakes ahead of me. I don't want it, I want some real food that doesn't taste awful or sweet. I'm supposed to be on Clear Liquids today still but I might have some Tomato Soup and damn the torpedos.

Hi All! I was also banded Nov. 3rd. From what I was told all went well and the hospital stay was fine. I'm home now and experiencing slight to extreme bouts of abdominal pain, I'm thinking caused by gas, anyone have any solutions to this?! Also I would love to start tracking on here with you all but not sure how ya'll got the BMI chart attached to the bottom...? I'm pretty new to the site, any and all help is appreciated! :eek: Congrats to everyone and best of luck!

I'm SO excited to be a part of this thread :smile2:

I was banded on Nov 1st & ended up having to spend a few more days in the hospital because I wasn't able to take in as much Fluid as needed to get the IV out. I'm still not taking enough but I feel much better. Can anyone tell me how much Fluid they were told to take an hour around day 4?? Also, when were you told you could shower & remove the gauze over the port site?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had my band done on 11-04-2010 at the Lahey Clinic. So far so good. Haven't needed pain meds and all the plumbing is still working. I just have to get used to the idea of having a band inside.

I'm SO excited to be a part of this thread :smile2:

I was banded on Nov 1st & ended up having to spend a few more days in the hospital because I wasn't able to take in as much Fluid as needed to get the IV out. I'm still not taking enough but I feel much better. Can anyone tell me how much Fluid they were told to take an hour around day 4?? Also, when were you told you could shower & remove the gauze over the port site?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Christie, I think it is different for everyone. I was able to shower 48 hours out of the hospital. I removed the cotton from my wound (they went in through the belly button) and I just have to keep it dry. My port just has a tiny piece of tape over it and my doctor said to leave it until it falls off.

I am sorry you are having trouble with liquids. I was told 64-72oz of liquid every day, that includes Protein shakes. With out Protein your body is slower to heal, so that is 60-80grams of that a day. Good luck. If you have any questions call your doctor. Remember very small sips of fluids and keep slow and steady at it all day, eventually you will have no trouble taking fluids down.

Congrats to all this week's bandsters! Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. It really is great to read everyone's stories. It really helps knowing what is to come. I have had 5 lap. surgery's done over the past 10 years, due to female issues. I know how that pain can feel, but I am not looking forward to it. I have never been able to have surgery on an out patient basis, so I think that has me most worried. From reading everyone's posts, it looks like you all stayed overnight. Is anyone here have there surgery and leave the same day? If so, how long where you there?

Cangel 76 said: "I found Day 3 was the hardest."

I am beginning to think this is exactly where I was. Day 3 wasn't exactly the hardest for me, but today's Day 4, and it is decidedly better. I have not had any pain medicine since 9 AM (it is now 2 PM) and when I had it I took a half-dose. So I am encouraged.

I have dutifully stayed with the liquids and I can't say that I'm interested in much else. I like the idea of cheese souffle or an omelet, but when I really think about it - not so much! So I'm sticking with what I have been told to do, one day at a time. I do find that I have to attentive to getting too 'empty' of Protein -- I do feel differently after I've had a shake. I also try and make sure that I don't swig down anything, but rather give it five minutes between sips. That seems to help.

I also am seeing some loss of the gas- and hospital IV fluid-related weight gain, which is nice.

Hoping others are making similar progress!

Deb WS

Congrats to all this week's bandsters! Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. It really is great to read everyone's stories. It really helps knowing what is to come. I have had 5 lap. surgery's done over the past 10 years, due to female issues. I know how that pain can feel, but I am not looking forward to it. I have never been able to have surgery on an out patient basis, so I think that has me most worried. From reading everyone's posts, it looks like you all stayed overnight. Is anyone here have there surgery and leave the same day? If so, how long where you there?

I had surgery at 1:30 in the afternoon and went home around 10pm. Would have got to go home earlier but I could only pee 50cc and my nurse was concerned, gave me a liter of IV fluids and I still only went another 50cc. She called the Doctor and he said let me leave that I was just a little behind and I would catch up. I'm a nurse so I think he let me go knowing I would come back if I got into trouble, finally went to the bathroom around 4am no problem.