Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

I had surgery at 1:30 in the afternoon and went home around 10pm. Would have got to go home earlier but I could only pee 50cc and my nurse was concerned, gave me a liter of IV fluids and I still only went another 50cc. She called the Doctor and he said let me leave that I was just a little behind and I would catch up. I'm a nurse so I think he let me go knowing I would come back if I got into trouble, finally went to the bathroom around 4am no problem.

Thanks "neighbor" I hope that is my biggest problem!

Hi everyone had my band nov,3 well everything went well i was in and out in about 3 hrs. I had pain at port site and my abd. Was bloated so i took gas-x strips which helped. I started sipping Water day 1 cause i really did not have thirst or hunger pains. I was on Clear Liquids 1 day then Protein based liquids then puree foods. Well its been hard to take liquids in since i have no hunger and very little water satisfies me but i keep adding cause i know the protein is important for healing so im drinking 2 premier shakes daily 30 grams each protein. The most pain i had was the first 2 days getting up and down from bed and chair but no problem now. I have lost 10 lbs. And am walking daily. The best part right now is that my husband can have his normal dinner and it doesnt bother me ! Wow and we like to eat good food but of course he doesnt gain wt.!! Well just wanted to share and wish good luck and speedy healing to all of you. Remember one day at a time and it gets better. God bless

Congrats loseloselose, I have been confronted with food and there are things that I admittedly want. I never had a terrible relationship with food. I just enjoy my meals and making different foods. I think today was my sons birthday and I never have sweets. Well my MIL makes Apple Streudel and I always eat it when I go. I couldn't and that was a bit of a bummer. I am only a few days post op and still no solids for me.

Ok I have to share this with ya'll. I just made this shake and it so yummy

https://www.lapband.com/en/mylapband/recipe_box/recipe/index/44?NarrowByOpen=true&CategoryIDs=7&Difficulty=0&RecipeSearchText=&PageNum=4&SortField=PublishedDate&SortDirection=DESC

I hope the link works. if not here it is. I made mine with Soy Milk and chocolate powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and added a tablespoon of fat free cool whip to the top. It came out to:

Servings 1

Cals 252.5

Fat 5

Chol 0

Sodium 467.5

Carbs 20.5

Fiber 2

Prot 28

Sugars 8.5

Ingredients

8 ounces skim, 1% or soymilk

1 scoop chocolate Protein powder

1 Tablespoon chocolate fudge sugar-free instant pudding mix

½ teaspoon peppermint extract

handful of ice

Directions

1. In a blender, combine all ingredients, blending until smooth. Add more ice if desired. Enjoy your “Liquid Thin Mint” cold and frothy!

Ok, today has been a rather sucky day. On soft foods, and today everything seems to get stuck. pureed vegtables, Soups, soft mashed potatos are fine, but when I tried some grilled samlon it was a no go, I tried to puree the samon and it was still just too dry coundn't go it. I ate Ahi tuna yesterday about 2ozs and it went down fine, but of course it was very rare and soft and mushy. I have decided to stick to soups and very mushy things, I will just add the Protein Powder to the liquids. Just don't think I'm ready for fish or meats yet even if pureed. Heart burn back tonight. On a positive note, I had a two yummy Protein Shakes, Dutch chocolate Cake and Carmel Latte. They were both very tasty. Hope everyone else had a pretty good day.

I was banded on Fri Nov 5th and I have not been able to eat or drink anything but sips of Water. The pain has been tolerable with pain medication and Gas X is helping a bit with the gas, but I am hating those little hiccups that make you burp because the make my incisions hurt. I am worried about my lack of nutritional intake, but I am so scared of upsetting my stomach. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

I was banded on November 1st. My post op has not been what most of you have described. I had tremendous gas pain for the first 4 days. It helped when I walked but I was so weak I couldn't even do that. The pain where my 5 incisions are was not as bad as I thought it was going to be so I was not on my pain meds that long. I think the worst part so far has been that I have developed this rash all over my abdomen and chest. My surgeon told me to take an allergy medicine and it has helped but not totally taken care of it. Has anyone else had this happen? I get my staples out on Tuesday and I think I am more nervous about that than I was the surgery. But despite all of these things I would not change my decision to get banded. Good luck to all those being banded and good job to all those that have been banded. Keep up the good work! :smile2:

Well, I haven't posted in a long time - but this past Thursday (Nov 4th) I was officially banded!!!

I had no idea what to really expect, as everyone is different. But I've found myself very sore with horrible gas pain. The pains in my port are still so bad I cannot lie in bed or get out of bed on my own.

Emotionally, I realized today that I had a relationship with food that I didn't even know I had. I went to a baby shower that was held at a very nice Italian Restaurant. When it came time to order, I just got a Decaf hot tea with spenda. But I watched everyone else eat some of the most wonderful looking food I've ever seen.. and I got cranky - then when I got home and explained how I felt to my husband, I cried talking about food. !!! I never realized it could be such a highly charged emotional thing. I never thought I'd be moved to tears talking about the way the cheese looked or the way the Salad Dressing smelled.

I guess I just needed to vent.

I'm on clear liquids for a week then full liquids for 2 weeks - this then followed by pureed foods and eventually solids.

I plan on going back to school tomorrow (I'm a Vet Tech student) and then work on Thursday. I hope I'm not pushing myself too hard because I don't really feel physically ready yet - but refuse to miss more classes.

I hope that others aren't sharing the difficulties that I am feeling post-op.

If anyone can share some tips/advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi all - banded 11/3 - and doing very well. I am planning on going back to work tomorrow. Down about 8 pounds so far, yea!

I am on liquids + yogurt/puddings without any chuncks for 3 weeks, so I am already finding that challenging. I add sugar free vanilla starbucks Syrup in my vanilla Protein shakes, they are wonderful. Had a little bit of a challenge yesterday, was spending the day with DH and friends and we wound up going to Carabbas... I ordered Mama's chicken Soup, and tried to eat just the broth, but it was really hard with them all eating that wonderful bread, big salads and pizza. I brought the Soup home and will strain for dinner tonight. DH and I used to eat out all the time, fortunately he is very sensitive to me not being able to eat anything right now. Although I do look forward to going out and ordering great salmon!

Little worried about heading back to work. I think I will feel ok, but I didn't tell anyone I was having this done. I will have to cover the bruise from the IV with makeup, and worried about lack of energy. Did you guys tell everyone? Anyone else secretive here?

I joined a Christmas challenge on this website too. Hopefully another way to keep motivated!

Soph

I was banded on Fri Nov 5th and I have not been able to eat or drink anything but sips of Water. The pain has been tolerable with pain medication and Gas X is helping a bit with the gas, but I am hating those little hiccups that make you burp because the make my incisions hurt. I am worried about my lack of nutritional intake, but I am so scared of upsetting my stomach. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

My surgery was Nov 1st & I'm still not able to take in the amount of fluids that I should be. I turned to Protein to make sure that I was at least getting something good for my body. My energy level has improved but I'm not where I thought I would be at this point. My Dr. isn't concerned & stated that some people have more swelling than others.

I ended up putting my juice in ice trays. Each ice cube ends up being about an ounce so I try to suck on 3-4 an hour. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

As I said on the other thread, banded 11/4, and still have quite a bit of pain in the abdomen, not sure what it is. Gas? Hunger? Drank too much, too fast? Surgery pain? I don't know.

I'm still weak and shaky, too, but I also have CFS/FM, so that has something to do with it. Trying to keep up with the stupid Protein drinks.

I don't think you newly banded folks should go to restaurants! It's too much to ask!

I get banded tomorrow! I am sort of freaking out!! :)

I found something that helps so much with the Protein shakes. I found sugar free chocolate soymilk at Meijer. It's only 50 cals/serving, sweetened with splenda, 6g Protein. So I make the shakes with that instead of Water (tastes horrible) or milk (too many carbs) and oh my, it makes them SO much better. Have to wait for the bubbles in the shakes to go away after surgery, though, so I"ll shake up a few canning jars worth in the morning and just let it sit in the fridge.

I predict the rule I will break is: no straws. However, I have been practicing on taking the first sip, holding my tongue on the end of the straw, blowing the air out of my mouth, and then taking a drink. No air that way. And as long as you keep sipping slowly and don't break the vacuum, no air gets back in.

Good luck all you other nov 9thers :thumbup: -j

This is day 5 post-op for me (banded Nov. 3) and I do feel like I have turned a bit of a corner. I went to a memorial service this morning - sang at it - and took only Tylenol for pain. I don't have the breath control I had before -- need to work to get that back, I think -- and sipped lemonade at the reception following the service. But it was fine.

I came home to drink another Protein shake (having had one in the Am) and take more Tylenol, and am about to head out on a couple of errands. I suspect that, after that, I'll need a little rest...but this does feel like things have moved ahead.

Last night I really, really wanted something more than Protein shakes or broth...I am just bored with them! I had a teaspoon (maybe even less) of tiny tastes of hummus, and later a tiny slice of brie (less than an ounce) and nibbled carefully, to see how all that would go. You would have thought I was eating a sirloin steak! So tonight might be the night I pick up some chicken-coconut Soup without anything in it, or have a little cottage cheese...I just feel like a little bit of something else can't be too damaging if I eat it slowly and carefully.

I am glad that all the surgical weight gain also seems to have left...it's about time!

Deb WS

weight.png

Banded 11/3/10, Dr. Malcolm Robinson, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA

I want to be part of this group and dont know how - I had surgery 11-4 and today (day 4) I am feeling pretty miserable.

I want to be part of this group and dont know how - I had surgery 11-4 and today (day 4) I am feeling pretty miserable.

You are now part of the group. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Mel