Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

so today I have been able to get down plenty of Water a lil broth and some Protein Drinks. I have not made my quote of 5 Protein Shakes a day but I have manage to get down atleast 1 full one so hopefully by tonight I can get down atleast 2 more down. I also just decided that I would go for a drive, I really needed to go run some errands so I drove 2 days after surgery. I know it's not the best idea but I have to get things done and can not wait around for people to do things for me. Anyone else driving right after surgery? I am also up and moving about a lot, I have been trying to keep the gas off my stomach and keep myself moving so that I could stay off the pain meds. I am doing good with going a long time without any so I am happy about that. However nights are still my hardest, I hate having to go to sleep, it's painful to lay down in the bed and painful once I wake up. Hopefully this will get better, I use a lot of pillows but no amount of propping is changing the way I feel when I lay down. It makes me hate laying down. Anyone else hate laying down?:rolleyes2:

so today I have been able to get down plenty of Water a lil broth and some Protein drinks. I have not made my quote of 5 Protein Shakes a day but I have manage to get down atleast 1 full one so hopefully by tonight I can get down atleast 2 more down. I also just decided that I would go for a drive, I really needed to go run some errands so I drove 2 days after surgery. I know it's not the best idea but I have to get things done and can not wait around for people to do things for me. Anyone else driving right after surgery? I am also up and moving about a lot, I have been trying to keep the gas off my stomach and keep myself moving so that I could stay off the pain meds. I am doing good with going a long time without any so I am happy about that. However nights are still my hardest, I hate having to go to sleep, it's painful to lay down in the bed and painful once I wake up. Hopefully this will get better, I use a lot of pillows but no amount of propping is changing the way I feel when I lay down. It makes me hate laying down. Anyone else hate laying down?:rolleyes2:

Hi!

Please- don't drive! I had to sign a form saying I would not drive. The pain medicine we're taking, including what we had during/after surgery, would make driving a DUI.

I had luck with propping myself with giant pillows from the couch, all the way down my back. I get about 3.5 hours of sleep in and then wake up due to the pain.

I think the best thing to do is take the maximum amount of pain meds allowed, and just move slowly and gently.

I think we will feel a lot of improvement in the next few days. We have the best excuse ever to be lazy and not do anything- let's all take it :blush:

I'm with you, Devotee...I'm taking my pain meds every six hours for the next few days to stay on top of the pain, and no driving while I'm on pain meds. I've also gained a few pounds due to the iv fluids I guess. I'm not gonna worry about that now. Just resting, a little walking and getting my Water and 2 Protein Shakes down.

Hang in there everyone, it will get better!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w26vDM2/weight.png[/img]

Hi!

Please- don't drive! I had to sign a form saying I would not drive. The pain medicine we're taking, including what we had during/after surgery, would make driving a DUI.

I had luck with propping myself with giant pillows from the couch, all the way down my back. I get about 3.5 hours of sleep in and then wake up due to the pain.

I think the best thing to do is take the maximum amount of pain meds allowed, and just move slowly and gently.

I think we will feel a lot of improvement in the next few days. We have the best excuse ever to be lazy and not do anything- let's all take it :)

Yes ma'am...I am trying not to drive but I am a single mother and My son will be home soon and I want to be as mobile as possible when he get's home. However I haven't tooken any pain meds since 7:00 am and it's now 8:44 pm that makes me happy. I am trying to not be on it really due to the fact that I need to drive and that i need to get other things done next week sean will be home and regardless of how I feel that 2 year old is going to be making me do whatever it is that he needs. but until then I will def...try to stay off the road and get better fast...Thanks hun.

Hi All! I was banded on Nov 4th and things are going good so far. The surgery wasn't bad but I did have nausea/dry heaves and had to stay the night in the hospital. Dr. thinks it was a reaction to the anethesia. I'm down 15 pounds so far and the soreness is slowly going away. Only real issue now is the I'm STARVING on this clear liquid diet. Has anyone else had to follow a clear liquid diet for two weeks post op? I'm so tired of fruit flavored everything and broth. DH asked the surgeon if I could have Protein Shakes or powder in my Water and he said not during the first two weeks :) Even so, I'm so happy that I have my band and am ready to rock it!

Also, are any of you going to be posting on the Nov 2010 monthly threads? There are a few people over there posting, but not many so far.

Good luck everyone!

Sheila

Well, I made it back from my trip to Baltimore. I am so glad to be home. Eating on the road 2 weeks post-op if difficult. I did very good day one, Protein Shakes, managed to get all my Protein in, Today for the trip home was a different story, good Breakfast, good lunch but no dinner and no protein drinks. Managed a Protein Drink when I got home. I did notice that instead of feeling hungry now that when I need to eat and haven't I feel very tired and weak. Just glad to be home, hope everyone is doing well, hope fully I will get caught up on all the posts by the weekend. Congratulations to all who are now 1 week post op and all you new bandsters it does get easier, just remember one day at a time. :)

Well, I made it back from my trip to Baltimore. I am so glad to be home. Eating on the road 2 weeks post-op if difficult. I did very good day one, Protein Shakes, managed to get all my Protein in, Today for the trip home was a different story, good breakfast, good lunch but no dinner and no protein drinks. Managed a protein drink when I got home. I did notice that instead of feeling hungry now that when I need to eat and haven't I feel very tired and weak. Just glad to be home, hope everyone is doing well, hope fully I will get caught up on all the posts by the weekend. Congratulations to all who are now 1 week post op and all you new bandsters it does get easier, just remember one day at a time. :)

Welcome home! Glad it went fairly well. My big thing is trying to keep up the fluids. I too get tired and weak when I need food.< /p>

I got banded on the 3rd of November. For the most part things are going really well:)

the thing i find most difficult, is I dont tend to get hungry til 3pm, and then im really hungry in the evening. This was a problem pre op too.

I thought it would be better to just eat breakfast and lunch at normal times anyway, and that has worked the last few days. but each day i get hungrier in the eve. im at puree stage.

I tend to not finish even the 50mls of breakfast.

and now im really hungry. ive been good so far and no eaten more then im meant to... but im starving! i mean id probably be full with one mouthful...but what about later when one mouthful wont suffice? i just feel like i shouldnt get into bad habbits now....

any advice?

Am I missing something, I hear people talking about being hungry. I just don't ever feel that way. It's like I have to force myself to eat which is like...woooo buddy, but I have to take down 5 Protein Shakes and I have only been able to get threw maybe 3 yesterday and I have to split them up and take 4ozs every so many hours. I guess you can call it luck but I haven't felt hungry, I have wanted to eat chili juice....but not really eat, also I have wanted to cook for people but not eat the food. I guess it's all the pain from my incisions that might keep me from not knowing that I am hungry.

I got banded on the 3rd of November. For the most part things are going really well:)

the thing i find most difficult, is I dont tend to get hungry til 3pm, and then im really hungry in the evening. This was a problem pre op too.

I thought it would be better to just eat breakfast and lunch at normal times anyway, and that has worked the last few days. but each day i get hungrier in the eve. im at puree stage.

I tend to not finish even the 50mls of breakfast.

and now im really hungry. ive been good so far and no eaten more then im meant to... but im starving! i mean id probably be full with one mouthful...but what about later when one mouthful wont suffice? i just feel like i shouldnt get into bad habbits now....

any advice?

I was also banded on November 3. My experience is that the feeling of 'hungry' isn't there as much as a feeling of 'empty.' There is a reason for Protein shakes...they provide something the body needs. So even if you don't feel 'hungry,' if you can slowly sip the shake over an hour, you will be doing your body a favor, and I suspect it will affect the way you feel in the afternoon.

My surgeon is also prescribing enough Protein Shakes to have me consuming one in the mid to late afternoon, and that helps to keep the sense of emptiness, or hunger, in balance. I have another one at about 9:30 PM, which helps me feel less empty when I wake up (although it does induce more middle of the night bathroom trips!)

I will also say that today I believe I learned another lesson. I had a neck ache last night, and this morning my neck really hurt. I started drinking Water, and kept at it through the morning, and now my neck is much less sensitive (I also did some gentle stretches). I suspect that I was dehydrated from not enough liquids...and it's a lesson to me.

All in all, things are going well, as I hope they will with you and with others!

Deb WS

weight.png

Also, are any of you going to be posting on the Nov 2010 monthly threads? There are a few people over there posting, but not many so far.

How do you access that thread?

Hi All! I was banded on Nov 4th and things are going good so far. The surgery wasn't bad but I did have nausea/dry heaves and had to stay the night in the hospital. Dr. thinks it was a reaction to the anethesia. I'm down 15 pounds so far and the soreness is slowly going away. Only real issue now is the I'm STARVING on this clear liquid diet. Has anyone else had to follow a clear liquid diet for two weeks post op? I'm so tired of fruit flavored everything and broth. DH asked the surgeon if I could have Protein Shakes or powder in my Water and he said not during the first two weeks :) Even so, I'm so happy that I have my band and am ready to rock it!

Good luck everyone!

Sheila

Wow two weeks clear liquids! That seems a little extreme to me. How can you body heal. It needs the Protein. I am only on clear iquid the day of surgery and then the next day I can start protein shakes for 2 weeks.

Wow two weeks clear liquids! That seems a little extreme to me. How can you body heal. It needs the Protein. I am only on clear iquid the day of surgery and then the next day I can start Protein Shakes for 2 weeks.

I agree, and in fact, I would ask again. I can not imagine that this is correct. You need protein. Please call your surgeon's office and ask again whether you aren't supposed to be doing protein shakes AND Clear Liquids. I strongly suspect that there has been a miscommunication somewhere...

Deb WS

I was banded on Nov. 8 at 10:00 am. I came home yesterday, Nov. 9. I had alot of pain in the incision sites, but I had a LONG ride home too. Being home all day today, I found that I didn't need the pain meds near as often. I went 8 hours between doses! Yay! I am drinking Water and Crystal Light today. It's funny becuase I feel hungry and my stomach growls (I think it's growling), but when I go to drink more, I feel like I can't drink anymore. I have never been a big drinker throughout the day, so the 30 ounces I got in today was pretty good for me. I can be on a full liquid diet, but am a little scared. I just don't want to get nausea and throw up, so I am taking it slow. I'm afraid to drink cold stuff so I warm it in my mouth before swallowing it. Am I crazy? I also craved a Peanut Butter sandwich today. My 5 year old was home sick from school today and she ate a peanut butter sandwich for dinner and I wanted one so bad! I have to come to the realization that I will not be able to eat one ever again.

I'm also a Peanut Butter freak and was happy to find out that we will be able to have 2 Tbls of smooth, low-sodium peanut butter when we graduate to solids. I was eating JIF low-sodium...pretty good. I CANT WAIT! Good Luck!