Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

good luck!

Hey guys....I need to vent, and figured this was a better place to do it than to my hubby since the problems I'm having this week center around him.

Have any of you guys experienced a change in your relationship since the surgery? At first I thought he was very supportive, and now, I'm getting the feeling like he never wanted me to have this done to begin with. I mean I still cook dinner for him and the kids, its not like I've slacked off on the cooking/housework. I just feel like he's pulled away from me. And it all started about 10 days ago (the day after I came home). Now I'm going back to work (at least 4 12 hr days a week) so that means I'll be away a lot, and I'm thinking it will only make things worse.

I know they say relationships change with WLS, but I never imagined it would happen so soon. :thumbup:

Hey guys....I need to vent, and figured this was a better place to do it than to my hubby since the problems I'm having this week center around him.

Have any of you guys experienced a change in your relationship since the surgery? At first I thought he was very supportive, and now, I'm getting the feeling like he never wanted me to have this done to begin with. I mean I still cook dinner for him and the kids, its not like I've slacked off on the cooking/housework. I just feel like he's pulled away from me. And it all started about 10 days ago (the day after I came home). Now I'm going back to work (at least 4 12 hr days a week) so that means I'll be away a lot, and I'm thinking it will only make things worse.

I know they say relationships change with WLS, but I never imagined it would happen so soon. :thumbup:

I am being banded on 9/22, starting to get excited but at the same time I am nervous!

Pooky -As for your question, I have this concern too. Eating meals and enjoying foods, sweets, etc, is a big part of many relationships. My husband has an eating problem but he is younger than me and can exercise it off easily. Does your husband have a relationship with you and food too?

hi guys, I'm with you two too, on the 22nd,we all will be in the same boat! I'll be thinking of you both. I'm not married, but my son (10 years old) is giving me attitude too... "you don't need an operation, you just need to lose weight"! If it's not a husband it's a child.... we are getting close! Can't wait to hear from you two and follow up and see how we are all doing.

I am being banded on 9/22, starting to get excited but at the same time I am nervous!

Pooky -As for your question, I have this concern too. Eating meals and enjoying foods, sweets, etc, is a big part of many relationships. My husband has an eating problem but he is younger than me and can exercise it off easily. Does your husband have a relationship with you and food too?

Oh absolutely, and I think that's part of the problem. Our date nights have changed from going to a nice restaurant to just being at home so I can have my liquids. I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing, that seems to be my middle name. :thumbup:

Oh absolutely, and I think that's part of the problem. Our date nights have changed from going to a nice restaurant to just being at home so I can have my liquids. I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing, that seems to be my middle name. :thumbup:

You are going to have to find more activities to enjoy together besides eating, and you can always still go to a nice restaurant, just you will be sharing some of his meal instead. Tell him how much of a cheap date you will become!

I am more fortunate as my husband, although he loves to eat, is an encourager. He just called me and said he was grilling some chicken breast and cooking some brown rice (and he does NOT like brown rice). He even offered to get the lap-band surgery so we can both live the same lifestyle, which says a lot because he LOVES food!

Hi Everyone - 3 days post op here

I have been hesitant to post my banding experience b/c I am one of the most positive people I know, and unfortunately this has not been positive for me - I am truly heartbroken about it.

I love my surgeon - she is great - everyone in the hospital - fab.

After several hours post op I started feeling a tightness in my chest. It threw me for a loop as I was expecting the shoulder/back gas pain - which never came. The incision pain is no fun - but easy to deal with - the tightness in my chest - not so much. I stayed over night in the hospital and walked the hall several times, but the tightness would not decrease. My surgeon called me on Saturday and asked how I was doing and i let her know where the tightness was - breast bone, she informed me that is where the band is - not to worry. After I was released and moving more the tightness was accompanied by shortness of breath. So I couldn't read more than one story to my daughter, or have a decent convo with my son. My neighbor convinced me to call the surgeon on call yesterday - he told me it was not normal and to head to the ER. I did. They scanned my lungs for a clot and i had to hold my breath - and I couldn't - the tech remarked on how shallow my breathing was. Then came the chest Xray and when he told me to hold my breath I couldn't - then coughed. It was no fun. After 7 hours in the ER they concluded that I didn't have a clot or pneumonia and that I needed to contact my surgeon on Monday morning to discuss the next steps as they only avoid catastrophic situations. I called my surgeon this morning and she was in the OR, but she had my paperwork and ordered an upper GI to see if my band was too tight. I actually cried this time b/c i hate barium and I felt sorry for myself (shame on me). Now I wait.

I am frustrated. I don't regret the surgery - I just need answers and I need to know that I will be able to take deep breaths, read stories, walk more than 10 feet without sweating and catching my breath.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

thanks for your support.

I am really sorry to hear of your complications, these are the things I dread for this surgery. From what I understand, when you get laprascopic surgery they puff you with gas so they have more room to operate and you can also be swollen with fluids. Secondly, with the lap band surgery (that I watched on you tube) they can actually sew your band into place by sewing a portion of your stomach over it. This I am sure must cause pain and discomfort, and maybe you are just swollen and healing? I hope it resolves itself soon and is not serious. Please keep us posted!

Also never hesitate to reach out for help when you have a problem, that is what this support forum is for.

Ok so i've seen most people are doing the pre-op diet two weeks prior to surgery. My dr requires only a liquid diet the day before. Has anyone else only had to do the one day pre-op or did i "luck out" in a way?

I too only have to do a liquid diet the day before, I thought I was the only one, now we are two!

Desiree -- sorry to hear you are having problems! Just wanted to let you know that I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!! Please keep up posted as soon as you find out what is going on.

Glad to hear everyone else is doing pretty well post-op!

I started my pre-op diet AGAIN today -- praying that everything will go through this time -- I made it to day 3 last time before I found out I had a problem with my insurance -- I forgot how hungry you get when you only have 2 Protein Shakes and a lean cuisine for supper. LOL

My dr recommended Special K Protein Water and it does seem to help with the hunger - that and I bought some sugarfree gum - at least I get to chew something.

Take care everyone!!! Wendy

September 16th!!

Desiree1972- Any answers from the doctor? Hope you are feeling better! Hopefully its just some sort of odd thing for the first couple days and you are back to normal.

I made it through 2 big birthday parties back to back this weekend! I have to admit it was hard watching others eat, but I brought my protien shakes, which are chocolate, and I drank while they ate cake and ice cream!

Beginning to freak out. I go in at 530 am. I am so scared and excited. Freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so i've seen most people are doing the pre-op diet two weeks prior to surgery. My dr requires only a liquid diet the day before. Has anyone else only had to do the one day pre-op or did i "luck out" in a way?

Hi FoxyRacing1201 !

My Doctor had a two day liquid diet but I went over and did 3 days just in case... I figured it couldn't hurt. I had my surgery last Wednesday and I am back to normal / about 98-99%. No real issues.

My Surgeon's office also gave me a Adjustable Gastric Band Manual they wrote and it did say if you are severely obese... two weeks of liquid dieting would help shrink the liver to aid in the operation. My Surgeon has done over 1000 Bands plus does 10-15 a week... I am not sure if the 2 day is standard or felt 2 days was good enough for me. I don't know.

There was an instruction that said no liquids including Water after 12 midnight the day of surgery.

-Brian :thumbup:

Edited by Brian-LA