Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

Hi Maxi2010 ! Good Luck with Surgery on Friday *** BUT *** by looking at your surgeon and his credentials ... I think you are in great hands. I have a GREAT Surgeon too and like I have posted elsewhere here it was pretty painless / less painful because of it.

As for fretting about the Post Op food... DON'T. You are making a extremely MAJOR life changing decision here. You want a better / healthier life and by going with a Band, you will be committed to it either way. Once you are banded ... you are banded Babe! It doesn't come out easily and once its it its in and you have to go through some hoops to get it out. It is almost like the Mafia but in a good way... it will make you lose weight unless you seriously fight it.

I am Day 6 Post Op and I have to say that I have had to come to grips that my attitude and relationship with food has to and HAS changed. I can't eat what I want and an extremely large amount of whatever I want when I want anymore. I can't pig out anymore / I can't numb myself with food anymore. AND thats a good thing. The Band is working and keeping me in check against my own food addictions and cravings. It is giving me the extra will power to fight a lifelong losing battle with food. Although I have had some major weak moments in the last few days and days I have had some low commitment ... the Band KEEPS working and keeping me in Check. The Band is great in that even with low commitment and resolve, it works and then when my Sanity returns a few hours later, I am so much more happy because of the Band and that it kept me honest and strong. The REALIZE Band is working for me and it is doing what I thought it would do for me. I am so sick of being overweight and what it has cost my life so far, it is time for a change. Now that I have it I only wish I did it YEARS ago !!!

-Brian :unsure:

Very much agree with Brian, I am a day behind him and feel similar. Thinking about food and knowing I already made changes and there is no turning back; this is our road to a healthier self! One thing is for sure: It is not easy, but I am so hopeful with the band that I think and feel I can change my eating habits forever. And so can everyone else as long as you work towards the goal of a healthier YOU! I am already "seeing" myself in a regular clothing size and love that feeling....

Thank you for all the book tips! Will check them out on B&N.

Just so you know - you have me [Maxi2010] down twice on 9/17 for surgery. I only need one surgery, thank you very much!!! LOL:scared2:

9/17 is getting close! I'm both nervous and excited!

And I'm only going in once on 9/22, thanks for thinking of me twice though!

I only had to do the liquid diet one day too. (So we are three!) Thank goodness because it was really hard. I'm glad it was on my day off, I must have peed every 15 mins. I was starving by evening, then I discovered Jello and that filled me up. I had lost 10 pounds then gained 5 back with my last visit to the surgeon and he was upset and said I need to lose it or my surgery might get cancelled. My only excuse was my mom had passed away the month before and food was not a high priority at that time. But it is scary how fast the weight can come back. Well I lost the 5 pounds (again) before the surgery. And the recovery process is hard. Today I was told I could start the Protein supplements and have 64 ounces of liquid. This is difficult. I have a 20 ounce container of Ispure and it's not even half empty yet.

Hello MISSJOANY

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I can relate though, my mom passed last August and of course food isn't the priority at that point. But you move on and rediscover it! Do you like the ispure?

Hello MISSJOANY

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I can relate though, my mom passed last August and of course food isn't the priority at that point. But you move on and rediscover it! Do you like the ispure?

And by the way, my mom's name was Joan! :unsure:

Wow Brian-LA and Buterfly2010. You both were so inspiring! I hope my band does for me what your band has done for both of you. It may take a little longer for me to get to where you are right now. But I hope it does change me like it has changed you.

I'll try to keep my mind off my post-op diet. I appreciate everyone who offered advice. I'm just a little down in the dumps right now. Probably surgery jitters.

Thanks Brian-LA and Butterfly2010.:unsure:

Edited by maxi2010

First and foremost a heartfelt thank you for all of your support and encouraging words - they brought tears to me eyes. After dry heaving and salivating all morning, we finally discovered that my band was too tight. This afternoon I went in for an adjustment (which was such a breeze) and they took out the nasty little air that was stuck in the band. I instantly felt better - my voice changed, I could breathe deep breaths and thank God I stopped spitting! By no means am I 100%, but the relief is 1000%! Now I can move more than 10 steps without losing my breath and talk with my people:thumbup:

thanks again!

I'm so glad it was an easy fix and you are a lot better than yesterday. I'm also glad you can carry on a normal conversation and can BREATHE deeply and normally. That must have been a scary experience. I'm happy it is over for you or at least practically over. :unsure::thumbup:

Thanks for posting so we know what to look out for.

Edited by maxi2010

First and foremost a heartfelt thank you for all of your support and encouraging words - they brought tears to me eyes. After dry heaving and salivating all morning, we finally discovered that my band was too tight. This afternoon I went in for an adjustment (which was such a breeze) and they took out the nasty little air that was stuck in the band. I instantly felt better - my voice changed, I could breathe deep breaths and thank God I stopped spitting! By no means am I 100%, but the relief is 1000%! Now I can move more than 10 steps without losing my breath and talk with my people:thumbup:

thanks again!

Ohhh, thank goodness, I'd been waiting to hear how you made out. I'm so glad for you! Keep on keeping on!

I want to get banded and i have alot of question, but i don`t even no how to start a thread, please can someone please help me.. or email me at iwillis25@YAHOO.COM , I am also looking for a good referral locate in los angeles or close around. I have looked every where for post a new thread and i just can`t seem to find it.. so i thought i would put it under some one post and maybe get a reply.So please if u can help me do so, if u had a excellent doctor or center that made you feel good and the surgery went well and not in to much pain , please feel free to email me or reply on here..thats why I am dazed&confused.

thanks again!

Great to hear you are feeling better!!! And you just taught many of us something new with sharing your happenings. It might help someone else who is feeling similar pain! Thanks! Keep us posted!

Edited by Butterfly2010
spelling

So i just got home from my seminar... wow I have mixed emotions. 1st impression of the Surgeon: he looked like a mortician lol. He wore a black suit and had his hair all slicked back and was very direct and to the point. lol But he did have good things to say and I tried to focus more on the stuff he was saying rather than the fact that he looked like a man you go to after you've passed on. I took my mom with me, she's a nurse and I knew that she would have more insight into questions I should ask incase I happened to forget. I found out that the surgeon requires all lap-band patients to have an overnight hospital stay after their surgury, which is good. I live an hour away from the hospital and was worried about going that far away from the hospital that soon. He also requires a 6 month diet supervised by a medical professional :unsure: I was hoping to bypass this but apparently its not only his requirement, my insurance is also requiring it. :crying: so I am really bummed, and definatly don't qualify as a september sweetie anymore... it also means that I wont have this done by christmas :smile: It's weird, at first I was like "Hopefully in september" then as september came I was like "Maybe by my birthday" (october 8th) and then, sitting in the seminar, and hearing him talk about the process I was like "Maybe by christmas" and then he dropped the bomb about the 6 month MDS and I almost started crying. I want this done ASAP... tomorrow isn't soon enough. Although, I do understand that he wants me to be as prepared as possible, and my mom is trying to help me see the positive in this delay. I have time to quit smoking. I have time to break my pepsi addiction. I have time to change my eating habits. I have time. Well... dang, to me, its TOO MUCH TIME! If i had the option of having a cigarette or going for this surgery within the week, you can bet your last dollar I'd gladly throw my pack of smokes in the garbage!

Another problem I am terrified of, is currently, I am going to school 3/4 time (9 credits) and working with the state because my son's father ran off and is no longer paying child support, so the state is paying his child support but as part of the terms, I have to get a part-time job. Well I am worried that if I do get a job, I wont qualify for my insurance anymore. So I am terrified about losing my insurance and then not being able to get this surgery. But at the same time, I want to work. I actually am going to call tomorrow to check on my application for a job that I REALLY REALLY want. My mom suggested just adding a class so that I am a full time student, and then I wouldn't have to get a job based on the rules for the state helping me with child-support. But, I don't want to not work, ya know? My parents have offered to help me out so that I don't have to work until after I get this surgery though. I just don't know what to do right now. I'm so stressed and I feel like just crying.

Anyways, I have this book about insurance and the process of getting to the point of surgery from the standpoint of the tests, the insurance requirements, and stuff like that... and starting tomorrow I am going to start my way down this seemingly never-ending list. Call the doctor, email my state worker, look for another class to add to my schedule, check on my application (I really really want that job) ...

wish me luck, please?

Very much agree with Brian, I am a day behind him and feel similar. Thinking about food and knowing I already made changes and there is no turning back; this is our road to a healthier self! One thing is for sure: It is not easy, but I am so hopeful with the band that I think and feel I can change my eating habits forever. And so can everyone else as long as you work towards the goal of a healthier YOU! I am already "seeing" myself in a regular clothing size and love that feeling....

Thank you for all the book tips! Will check them out on B&N.

Hi Butterfly2010 ! Yeah we are both in the same boat - THANK GOD ! I do no regret my decision at all. Once you are Banded ... you are Banded and there is no turning back ! You can't fight it and it is for your own good.

I am already seeing some payoff in that I am down about 15 lbs from about 3 weeks ago when I had a general physical and my semi-tight pants are now loose !

As for my books, I got them on Amazon.com. The Sewell book I have on my Kindle and I have a hard copy of the Legardere book.

I hope you are having a wonderful day !

-Brian :unsure:

Hi Maxi2010 !

Don't worry about your surgery, you will be fine and a few days after your surgery ... you will be on the road to being GREAT !!! There isn't much to worry about. The pain and issues of Gastric Band surgery is nothing compared to pain and issues of obesity. A few days of pain versus a LIFETIME of pain and issues. No contest. It won't be easy but nothing of value is ever easy. You want a BETTER LIFE and that is priceless and worth fighting for. You will be fine and then you will be BETTER and then you will be GREAT. :unsure:

-Brian :crying:

OMG - 1 week to go. I think it has just hit me. Now I am panicking. Just had confirmation from my insurance company so think that is what triggered the sudden anxiety. What a rollercoaster ride this journey is.:unsure:

Hey guys,

Im 12 days post op just wondering whether anyone is experiencing alot of hunger, as technically the band has no restriction until the first fill. I am on mushies for now, but unsure how long this is supposed to continue? can anyone help.?

It seems you get different advice depending on where you have your surgery. Mine was in Belgium and i was told 10 days liquids, then mushies, but I don't know if this has to continue until my first fill??