Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

I was just banded Tuesday, Sept 14. Just got back home today and doing well.. Some pain but torable. Looking forward to my long journey ahead with success! Good Luck to all of you who have had it already or those going to soon.:unsure:

Missjoany, Glad to see things went well. Thanks for the infor about the treadmill, I think that's how I will be doing most of my walking.

Shushuandanniesmom, It's something how Doctors can be so different my surgeon, told me to avoid Advil.

Also thinks for the infor about the cream of Broccoli Soup from Panera through the blender and then strained, like the old saying goes two heads are better then one, I did not think to do that

I hope you continue to have a fast recovery

Desiree1972, So happy to see that your Doctor was able to correct the problem, and your doing better. Things, worked out that wonderful! :unsure:

Hocuspocus, I'm feeling you, at first my surgery date was September 30, yesterday I was moved up to September 23.

At first I said I'm nerves, but now! like you say I'm starting to panic. The change in the date :crying:, I had myself geared for the 30th.

I've been reading about the calories you talk about in icecream and I just HAVE to say, you are right there are less in yogart, the one thing I was surprised about was that no one mentioned how absolutely HORRIBLE Panera's brocoli soup is for you, if you buy it in a container it lists the nutrition facts...... that stuff will kill you! I'd eat the icecream FIRST! ( I wouldn't eat either one actually) The soup probably has 1400 grams of sodium in ONE serving! The calories and fat are also off the charts. Just because you buy it there and don't have to read the label, doesn't mean you can get away with it! I know alot of us here probably suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure) and that soup is just what the doctor ordered NOT to eat! Just sayin! Sorry I know it tastes good!

On the supervised diet with my nutritionist I lost 1 pound a week for a total of 10 pounds and I was proud of that. Yes I gained 5 pounds back when I had to go home to attend to my moms funeral arrangements, but lost it again prior to surgery. Some of the prescribed diet is to ensure you loss as much fat around your liver as you can prior to surgery, but I'm sure some of it is supposed to show your committment to the program. My PCP physician also said she would help me in any way she could as well. She is the best too!! Good luck with stopping smoking. See if there is an alternative med that you insurance company will pay for. But I know you can do it! I too use the smaller salad plate and have given up sodas entirely. Giving up coffee was the hard one for me. Keep in touch, we can do this together.

Yea I looked for all less sodium Soups, but you know, I did not check the Campbells Cream of Potato and Tomato for sodium, and I am so looking forward to trying them. I had high blood pressue in the hospital but they were able to get it down some (with the proper cuff). Thanks for the heads up, I will start checking sodium levels in my pureed foods next week when I start on them.

First and foremost a heartfelt thank you for all of your support and encouraging words - they brought tears to me eyes. After dry heaving and salivating all morning, we finally discovered that my band was too tight. This afternoon I went in for an adjustment (which was such a breeze) and they took out the nasty little air that was stuck in the band. I instantly felt better - my voice changed, I could breathe deep breaths and thank God I stopped spitting! By no means am I 100%, but the relief is 1000%! Now I can move more than 10 steps without losing my breath and talk with my people:thumbup:

thanks again!

I am so glad you are feeling better! :unsure:

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.

I just got back from my PCP a few minutes ago (have been having back pain and stiffness, and I wanted to talk to him about this surgery anyways, so I made an appointment)

I have good news, and bad news.

so, remember how i was bummed about having to do 6 months MDS (medically supervised diet)? well... I told him about it and he filled out two of the forms. One for our appointment last month when we discussed my weight, and one for this month. He wants to see me every month for the next four months to get this done. He also made some copies of some test results that he thought would be useful to the surgeon. He's really doing everything he can to help me with this, and I am sooo grateful for his support.

I told him I was also ready to quit smoking and asked about the medicine Chantix. He got me all set up for that, wrote the prescription and explained it to me... but when I got to the pharmacy my insurance declined it. Apparently they stopped covering it. I cant afford the $140 a month at this time, so I guess im gonna have to quit smoking on my own :unsure:

sooo... Im happy but frustrated yet again. Oh well, I'll get through it.

Edited to add- my diet plan for the next month: eat off of a desert plate... no going back for seconds, and my servings cannot touch eachother. Switch to diet pop for two weeks and then see if I feel good enough to eliminate pop completely. Go on a 20-25 minute walk 5 days a week. YAY!

If you cut the pop all together, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel! I took a drink of coke about a month ago and couldn't believe how gross it tasted to me. Good luck with the quitting pop and smoking - two vices that I had as well. I did both cold turkey and it seemed to work the best. Chantix gave me horrible nightmares even though my insurance paid for it, i couldn't handle it. I will keep ya in my thoughts :crying:

MY DATE HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK!!!! From the 17th until the 24th. The surgical assistant had something come up, and is unable to help in the procedure, so I have to wait until next Friday. I am on day 9 of my 10-liquid fast. But, on the bright side, they are giving me a five day break! What's one more week? It just complicates all my arrangements, my Mom is already in town to help (she was going to stay all of next week, so now she has to come back down again next weekend, for the whole following week, luckily, she lives only 2 hours away). My poor husband had to switch time at work, as did I. But you know what, it's only a few extra days. I am still very positive, excited, and not nearly as upset as I thought I would be! In a way, I felt this coming...weird...:wub:

Hey everyone. Today marks my first week post up and besides a little gas pain I'm doing great. Between the 1 week pre op diet and the surgery I have lost 30lbs and it feels FANTASTIC :0) so at 280lbs and only need to lose 80 more to be at my ideal weight.

I think the worse feeling is that first day home from the hospital, but I am shocked at how fast my body is recovering. My biggest fear now is the extra skin and hoping I'm young enough (32) for it to shrink with exercise. How is everyone else doing?

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.

I just got back from my PCP a few minutes ago (have been having back pain and stiffness, and I wanted to talk to him about this surgery anyways, so I made an appointment)

I have good news, and bad news.

so, remember how i was bummed about having to do 6 months MDS (medically supervised diet)? well... I told him about it and he filled out two of the forms. One for our appointment last month when we discussed my weight, and one for this month. He wants to see me every month for the next four months to get this done. He also made some copies of some test results that he thought would be useful to the surgeon. He's really doing everything he can to help me with this, and I am sooo grateful for his support.

I told him I was also ready to quit smoking and asked about the medicine Chantix. He got me all set up for that, wrote the prescription and explained it to me... but when I got to the pharmacy my insurance declined it. Apparently they stopped covering it. I cant afford the $140 a month at this time, so I guess im gonna have to quit smoking on my own :alien:

sooo... Im happy but frustrated yet again. Oh well, I'll get through it.

Edited to add- my diet plan for the next month: eat off of a desert plate... no going back for seconds, and my servings cannot touch eachother. Switch to diet pop for two weeks and then see if I feel good enough to eliminate pop completely. Go on a 20-25 minute walk 5 days a week. YAY!

Hi LovelyMissJ ! I am sorry to hear what hurdles are being put ahead of you but don't worry you will get through them and in short time. The fact is the Band is for Life and once you get it you got it. If you really want it it will be here soon enough.

As for what others have said, you are better off dumping off ALL carbonated soda drinks right now and switch over to the sugar free / zero calorie iced teas and zero cal drinks now because carbonation will hurt your Band. It is like straws... you won't get to use them either.

-Brian :wub:

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have been MIA for the past week.

Our house was struck by lightning last Wednesday and we lost most electrical items but of course the TV.

Doing great and today I had my second fill.

I now have 6cc in my 11cc band but still on liquids so I can't tell if I have any restriction.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I'll read and catch up on all the news soon.

Cathy

Hi everyone so happy to note we all are on the way to better health and fitness.. I have to remind myself that although our goal is the same our journeys will be different. I have lost about twenty lbs feel pretty good but food thoughts have been entering my mind. My doc won't even think about a fill untill 6 weeks. I feel this is just a regular controlled diet for basically 2 months. two weeks preop and six post op. any onels feel the same?

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have been MIA for the past week.

Our house was struck by lightning last Wednesday and we lost most electrical items but of course the TV.

Doing great and today I had my second fill.

I now have 6cc in my 11cc band but still on liquids so I can't tell if I have any restriction.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I'll read and catch up on all the news soon.

Cathy

Cathy,

Glad to hear you're ok! Hope you guys didn't get much structural damage with the lightning strike. We've had some pretty bad storms here (in OK) the past week too, but mostly just large hail. Do they do your fills under fluoroscopy? When I went for my postop appt, they asked me today if I wanted mine done under fluoro saying that it helps to get the sweet spot faster.

Thanks!

Erin

Hey everyone! Wow, yesterday was my first day back at work and let me tell ya, that 12 hour shift about kicked my tail! We delivered I can't even remember how many babies, and then at the end of the shift when it was time to go home....a floor above us caught fire, so the entire hospital went on lockdown. They wouldn't let us leave, and we were all soooo tired!!! Thank goodness we finally figured out a way to get out without getting caught. Then I came home and slept for about 12 hours too.

Good luck to all those being banded this week, I hope you all have a great experience and a speedy painless recovery!

Pooky032281, Boy! you had a full day 12 Hrs, you did good to only sleep 12hrs I would sleep for a week LOL. That's good you are moving right a long.

CSinTX, Glad to see you back, my surgery has been moved up to next Thursday. How much weight have you lost so far.

NYsLegend78, 30 lbs you rock, that's good.

NYsLegend78, Yea I looked for all less sodium Soups, but you know, I did not check the Campbells Cream of Potato and Tomato for sodium, and I am so looking forward to trying them. I had high blood pressue in the hospital but they were able to get it down some (with the proper cuff). Thanks for the heads up, I will start checking sodium levels in my pureed foods next week when I start on them.

highlojack, I've been reading about the calories you talk about in icecream and I just HAVE to say, you are right there are less in yogart, the one thing I was surprised about was that no one mentioned how absolutely HORRIBLE Panera's brocoli Soup is for you, if you buy it in a container it lists the nutrition facts...... that stuff will kill you! I'd eat the icecream FIRST! ( I wouldn't eat either one actually) The soup probably has 1400 grams of sodium in ONE serving! The calories and fat are also off the charts. Just because you buy it there and don't have to read the label, doesn't mean you can get away with it! I know alot of us here probably suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure) and that soup is just what the doctor ordered NOT to eat! Just sayin! Sorry I know it tastes good!

NYsLegend78 and Highlojack, I'm thinking about trying cream soups, after reading over my Nutrition & Diet Guidelines that I received from the from the Dr it did say cream soups made with skim or 1% milk, if I can not find any that's healthy I will have to get someone to make it for me, Well I see what happen, it would not help to have the surgery and not try to change bad habits.

Cathy,

Glad to hear you're ok! Hope you guys didn't get much structural damage with the lightning strike. We've had some pretty bad storms here (in OK) the past week too, but mostly just large hail. Do they do your fills under fluoroscopy? When I went for my postop appt, they asked me today if I wanted mine done under fluoro saying that it helps to get the sweet spot faster.

Thanks!

Erin

Hi Erin,

My fills have been done under a fluoroscope. It's pretty cool. They move this big machine over my stomach until they have my port centered on the tv screen. Then the tech moves the needle around until she is right over the port which we both watch on the tv screen. Once she gets right over it, she pushes pretty hard and I can feel the port move - it's a weird feeling.

Once she gets the needle in she injects the saline solution, then ask me to swallow the barium and we watch it go down. If all looks good she then pulls the needle out and I'm done. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes.

If given the choice I would rather the fluoroscope then her shooting in the dark but that's just me hating needles.

Cathy

First and foremost a heartfelt thank you for all of your support and encouraging words - they brought tears to me eyes. After dry heaving and salivating all morning, we finally discovered that my band was too tight. This afternoon I went in for an adjustment (which was such a breeze) and they took out the nasty little air that was stuck in the band. I instantly felt better - my voice changed, I could breathe deep breaths and thank God I stopped spitting! By no means am I 100%, but the relief is 1000%! Now I can move more than 10 steps without losing my breath and talk with my people:thumbup:

thanks again!

So glad you are okay. I have been worried for you. It sounded life threating. So glad it wasn't. :wub: