Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

Our Special Dates:

Today: September 14

KAS1971, TheMaxwellFamily, WAH.MOM, purplevix, Angel82

THIS WEEK: Good luck too those of you having your surgery this week. Let us know when you get a chance how you are doing after your surgery. We will have you in our thoughts.

September 15 - Kysmith72, piperboo, leeblewb

September 16 - sunny day, fldanny, kimmila, onceuponaband, kissalovoe, matzobeans, sugarmoma, stephanie24p, lauravarley, donna niemi, cortneyhughes*

September 17 - Stateofzen, hserrra, blondeej, vega1star, helgainaz, AnnaOz, MrsFitand42, maxi2010, risenhour1, maxi2010, jakealta, CdnBlondie

NEXT WEEK:

September 20 - RACandler, mytrice, Natalka, lbtss16, shellyh

September 21 - angellegna29, krieck, wishful-thinking, ledgins, HAD_ENOUGH

September 22 - ebonykisses, kittykat56, papoose, mom05, teach830, highlojack, Scarred4Life, highlojack, Tsaleen*

September 23 - emsbugbug, cicigirl, kierstyun2010, hocuspocus, mrsmontero12607, sarwenc*

September 24 - ctrose, kmckinleyrn, South Dakota Girl, cocoabeanie03*

September 25 - candy Rain

FOLLOWING WEEK:

September 27 - babyk, LisaA (leaving for Mexico on the 26th), ocbutterfly, david314, wendyhart, panna

September 28 - Zippy74, kosy2, ebeeze824, newbs, Marte80, Paigey, tk07*

September 29 - wanna.b.healthy, Foxracing1201, chriper, Marte80*

September 30 - sourmissg, mrsbure, cndalbs, qtney1

*newest additions

I want everyone to be recognized for this journey, so please let me know if I overlooked you.

Those approved/self pay and waiting for dates:

TheLovelyMissJ

desperatelyw.loss

HeatherinCA

phershey

PitPat

bayareanan

Bugaboo77

57 have crossed over to Band Land:

1reign - from FL

ahlmanfamily - from MA

aliciaj - from PA

ally UK - from England

Angel82 - from MN

angelpix - from MN

bandalley - from Alberta Canada

BandedNellie - from CT

Brian-LA - Brian from LA

Butterfly2010 - from NC

CalaCake - from PA

cece1967 -from CA

ConB113 - from FL

CSinTX - Cathy from TX

danide - Danielle from NY

debrarh - from GA

Desiree1972 - from GA

donnalys - from AL

drm1123 - from NY

Esin - from London, England

Freshstart2010 - Christi from CA

glitteryvampiregirl - Catherine from AL

gracerev - Pastor from GA

ILUVFOOD - from NJ

jlr58 - from NJ

jmariedel - from VA

jshort - Jennifer from MO

KAS1971 - from MA

kydman - from KY

LadyT39 - from FL

Lanah - from TX

lemonchick - from TX

lillyegg - from NY

lovemysgt - from TX

Loyalfriend - from NC

Mandyrae - from TX

missjoany - from NC

motherbear - from NH

msmith73 - from NH

Nani4five - from MI

NYsLegend78 - from NJ

Olsweetmusic - from FL

playermimi - from MA

pooky032281 - from OK

purplevic -from FL

ready4change10 - from PA

rkwilliams1013 - Rebecca from GA

RN.Violet - from KY

Run Girl Run - from MO

sannersplace72 - Sandy from MD

SarahMarie123 - from WA

shushuandanniesmom - Jamie from IL

spitfireleo - from MA

stephanie1975 - from Victoria, Canada

swissnis - from IL

TheMaxwellFamily- from IN

WAH.MOM - from WI

Just so you know - you have me [Maxi2010] down twice on 9/17 for surgery. I only need one surgery, thank you very much!!! LOL:scared2:

9/17 is getting close! I'm both nervous and excited!

Ok so i've seen most people are doing the pre-op diet two weeks prior to surgery. My dr requires only a liquid diet the day before. Has anyone else only had to do the one day pre-op or did i "luck out" in a way?
I too only have to do a liquid diet the day before, I thought I was the only one, now we are two!

Foxracing1201 & Highlojack, My Dr told me the same.

At first I was thinking why just one day, but now, I call it a bless there is no way I could work and do the liquid diet for two or three weeks.

First day of Clear Liquids today-- and how lucky do I feel that I only have 3 days of liquids vs the 2 weeks some of you have had :) I will remember that every time I think about throwing myself a liquid diet pity party!

But. . . . I'm officially in the 250's now-- and that hasn't happened in 6 years. Whee! It was my goal when I set my surgery date to lose this much before the surgery and it feels great to have done it.

How is exercise going for everyone? I think this is the area that I may struggle with, knowing myself. It seems like the "super" losers with the band all exercise a lot so I've decided I'm going to as well. But folks, exercising when you're fat does not feel good. Skinny folks (like my husband) are always all "exercise makes you feel so good!" and it makes me want to beat them down- hahaha. Anyway, what's your exercise routine?

Stateofzen, you are doing great with the liquid diet.

Now the exercise I under stand, my knees are killing me so now I down to 30mins from 45mins exercising a day I'm not going to give up, I'm going to do the best I can.

I got a call From my surgeons office yesterday. For some reason he's not able to do my surgery on 9/30/2010. So my surgery will be done on 9/23/2010, that have me going :thumbup::scared2::):scared2::):scared2: I'm praying hard. I'm very nervous. On the that Wednesday I have to call to see what time my surgery will be.

Has anyone read any good books in regards to getting banded and post op issues, living with a band?

I remember that Brian mentioned he was reading a couple of books in one of his posts; anything you would recommend Brian?

Thanks!

Guest gen259

Hi Everyone - 3 days post op here

I have been hesitant to post my banding experience b/c I am one of the most positive people I know, and unfortunately this has not been positive for me - I am truly heartbroken about it.

I love my surgeon - she is great - everyone in the hospital - fab.

After several hours post op I started feeling a tightness in my chest. It threw me for a loop as I was expecting the shoulder/back gas pain - which never came. The incision pain is no fun - but easy to deal with - the tightness in my chest - not so much. I stayed over night in the hospital and walked the hall several times, but the tightness would not decrease. My surgeon called me on Saturday and asked how I was doing and i let her know where the tightness was - breast bone, she informed me that is where the band is - not to worry. After I was released and moving more the tightness was accompanied by shortness of breath. So I couldn't read more than one story to my daughter, or have a decent convo with my son. My neighbor convinced me to call the surgeon on call yesterday - he told me it was not normal and to head to the ER. I did. They scanned my lungs for a clot and i had to hold my breath - and I couldn't - the tech remarked on how shallow my breathing was. Then came the chest Xray and when he told me to hold my breath I couldn't - then coughed. It was no fun. After 7 hours in the ER they concluded that I didn't have a clot or pneumonia and that I needed to contact my surgeon on Monday morning to discuss the next steps as they only avoid catastrophic situations. I called my surgeon this morning and she was in the OR, but she had my paperwork and ordered an upper GI to see if my band was too tight. I actually cried this time b/c i hate barium and I felt sorry for myself (shame on me). Now I wait.

I am frustrated. I don't regret the surgery - I just need answers and I need to know that I will be able to take deep breaths, read stories, walk more than 10 feet without sweating and catching my breath.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

thanks for your support.

I am so sorry to hear about your discomfort. I hope you get great results from your testing.

I did have a tightness in my chest after surgery and was very short of breath. I am currently 4 days post op and day 1 and 2 (and a bit of day 3) were the worst. When I climbed a set of stairs I was breathing like I ran a marathon. Thankfully with my breathing and coughing exercises the problem has corrected itself. I hope it does for you as well!

Has anyone read any good books in regards to getting banded and post op issues, living with a band?

I remember that Brian mentioned he was reading a couple of books in one of his posts; anything you would recommend Brian?

Thanks!

My doctor recommended WLS for Dummies. Half of the book is pre-op though. Still good reading - very educational and some great recipes for after the band.

I was banded around 0715 Sat 11 Sep, and I think I was in recovery by 0930. The doctor repaired a hernia while he was in there so I have two incisions. The most pain was in my left shoulder, I was told that was gas. I had to spend an extra night becuse my oxygen was low and I had a fever. I think it was a good idea. Most of my pain was from gas an on Sunday it WAS BAD!. I felt a bit better on Monday and was home by 6:00 pm. I couldn't keep the pain meds down so earlier today I felt kinda crappy. With everyone that called me on the phone I started crying cause I felt so bad. I had left the kitties with automatic feeder and Water, but hated leaving them, and they were scared when I got home, and wouldn't come out for two hours. Once they figured out it was me, then they said REAL food, Mom's home. I tried half a dose of pain med a little while ago and was able to keep that down. I too was told to start walking and that would help the gas dissipate. I can't wait to try some of those sugar free bars. I had gotten some, but they don't taste that good. I will look for Dreyers and Crystal Light bars. My biggest problem right now is trying to keep the kitties from jumping on my tummy. My new life has begun!! My gal pal and drill sergeant just called and told me to walk on the treadmill for one minute. She had the surgery in Feb and has lost 63 lbs. Something for me to aspire to. Thanks for all the support, I will provide updates.

Thanks!

Hi Butterfly2010 ! Right now I am about half way through WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY AND THE ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BAND by Dr. Robert Sewell and I also have LAP BAND FOR LIFE by Dr. Ariel Ortiz Lagardere - up next after. Dr. Sewell's book is pretty good. I have perused thru parts of Dr. Lagardere's especially the Post Op part since that is where I am. The websites for the various bands help too ... I ended up with a REALIZE Band so I am allowed special access to their REALIZE MY SUCCESS website. It is pretty good too.

-Brian :thumbup:

Desiree1972 don't be hesitant to talk about your experiences, this is where we can all share not be judgemental. You know I had nurses and friends all asking me why I was breathing so hard, like I was racing and didn't really know. I hope everything turns out good for you.This is my third day post op, and I have not yet figured out how to get in the bed and spend most of my time on the recliner.

I only had to do the liquid diet one day too. (So we are three!) Thank goodness because it was really hard. I'm glad it was on my day off, I must have peed every 15 mins. I was starving by evening, then I discovered Jello and that filled me up. I had lost 10 pounds then gained 5 back with my last visit to the surgeon and he was upset and said I need to lose it or my surgery might get cancelled. My only excuse was my mom had passed away the month before and food was not a high priority at that time. But it is scary how fast the weight can come back. Well I lost the 5 pounds (again) before the surgery. And the recovery process is hard. Today I was told I could start the Protein supplements and have 64 ounces of liquid. This is difficult. I have a 20 ounce container of Ispure and it's not even half empty yet.

I had surgery this past Friday and I am feeling great. Not 100% but pretty darn good. If this gas would leave I would be 100%. I have been off of my script pain killers since Saturday pm. I have been using tylenol or advil only as needed and that really is not that much.

A good friend who has had LapBand gave me some liquid ideas that I am very greatful for. Icecream, sherbert, and cream of Broccoli Soup from Panera through the blender and then strained. I am so happy to be able to eat something that my mouth likes.

Now keep in mind I have not been able to do huge amounts of any of this but 1 TBLS here and a 1/4 cup there and I am not hungry, nor am I in pain or ready to kill the inventor of chicken Broth!

I know we can all do this together!!!

Thanks!

Hi Butterfly2010,

Similar to Brian-LA, I am reading Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band: Everything You Need to Know Before and After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully by Dr. Robert Sewell and Linda Rohrbough. A banded friend had recommended this book. I think the book is well written and I like that the authors include both opinions from experts [nutritionists, psychologists, etc] as well as patients living with the band. Although I am still pre-op [my surgery is this Friday, 9/17], the book seems pretty thorough going through all types of potential complications as well how to successfully live with a band. Although this is based on a 3-week weight loss diet from a medical practice down in Texas, which differs from my 2-week all liquid weight loss diet from a medical practice up in New York, I like to have all the facts, both pre-op and post-op information, in one place. I found the book reasonably priced on Amazon.com, where I purchased it. It also got pretty good reviews from Amazon customers who bought the book.

I have not seen too many lap band books in the libraries where I live. I looked online on my library's website before I made this purchase. I was very disappointed that my library system has not kept up with band surgery since it seems almost a phenomenon, in that so many people are currently opting for band surgery. Maxi

Edited by maxi2010
error

I had surgery this past Friday and I am feeling great. Not 100% but pretty darn good. If this gas would leave I would be 100%. I have been off of my script pain killers since Saturday pm. I have been using tylenol or advil only as needed and that really is not that much.

A good friend who has had LAP-BAND® gave me some liquid ideas that I am very greatful for. Icecream, sherbert, and cream of Broccoli Soup from Panera through the blender and then strained. I am so happy to be able to eat something that my mouth likes.

Now keep in mind I have not been able to do huge amounts of any of this but 1 TBLS here and a 1/4 cup there and I am not hungry, nor am I in pain or ready to kill the inventor of chicken Broth!

I watch out about the Ice Cream and Sherbert -I'd stay away. My Surgeon is a Beverly Hills Surgeon who stopped counting his Bands after 1000 / does 10-15 a week AND he said don't do ice cream or the like... because it defeats the purpose of the Band. You have to think of the Band as an hourglass for your stomach, the top portion is the small part above the Band. You put in sand ( good food ) to keep the flow slow and full. Put in Water or liquid, it flows through and defeats the purpose of it. Putting in Ice Cream severely defeats the purpose of it. He also mentioned don't do chocolates either because they melt / disolve quick and provide seriously high calories and act like liquid too.

A great substitute is what everyone here says sugar free pop-sickles ... they are low cal at 15-25 calories a pop and are kinda like a sherbert without the cals / guilt.

-Brian :thumbup:

A good friend who has had LAP-BAND® gave me some liquid ideas that I am very greatful for. Icecream, sherbert, and cream of Broccoli Soup from Panera through the blender and then strained. I am so happy to be able to eat something that my mouth likes.

Hi Shushuandanniesmom.

Thanks for some great first week food ideas -except for the ice cream/sherbert. Thanks Brian for the info and good advice. Frozen Yogurt is also a good choice, if you check the calories first.

My surgery is this Friday - 9/17 - and I am fretting about the post op food. I haven't started the post op diet yet and I'm already tired of it!!!!!:thumbup:. I'm getting tired of this 2-week liquid pre op diet, too. :)

Edited by maxi2010

I'm banded. I went in at 530 for pre opt 8am surgery and by 2p I was in a room. I am really sleepy

Hi Shushuandanniesmom.

Thanks for some great first week food ideas -except for the ice cream/sherbert. Thanks Brian for the info and good advice. Frozen Yogurt is also a good choice, if you check the calories first.

My surgery is this Friday - 9/17 - and I am fretting about the post op food. I haven't started the post op diet yet and I'm already tired of it!!!!!:unsure:. I'm getting tired of this 2-week liquid pre op diet, too. :crying:

Hi Maxi2010 ! Good Luck with Surgery on Friday *** BUT *** by looking at your surgeon and his credentials ... I think you are in great hands. I have a GREAT Surgeon too and like I have posted elsewhere here it was pretty painless / less painful because of it.

As for fretting about the Post Op food... DON'T. You are making a extremely MAJOR life changing decision here. You want a better / healthier life and by going with a Band, you will be committed to it either way. Once you are banded ... you are banded Babe! It doesn't come out easily and once its it its in and you have to go through some hoops to get it out. It is almost like the Mafia but in a good way... it will make you lose weight unless you seriously fight it.

I am Day 6 Post Op and I have to say that I have had to come to grips that my attitude and relationship with Food has to and HAS changed. I can't eat what I want and an extremely large amount of whatever I want when I want anymore. I can't pig out anymore / I can't numb myself with food anymore. AND thats a good thing. The Band is working and keeping me in check against my own food addictions and cravings. It is giving me the extra will power to fight a lifelong losing battle with food. Although I have had some major weak moments in the last few days and days I have had some low commitment ... the Band KEEPS working and keeping me in Check. The Band is great in that even with low commitment and resolve, it works and then when my Sanity returns a few hours later, I am so much more happy because of the Band and that it kept me honest and strong. The REALIZE Band is working for me and it is doing what I thought it would do for me. I am so sick of being overweight and what it has cost my life so far, it is time for a change. Now that I have it I only wish I did it YEARS ago !!!

-Brian :smile: