Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Hey everyone!!

Happy Tuesday. My blood pressure has joined the world of the living! Mostly.

Anne, congrats on an almost surgery date!! Yay!!

Bobbie, best wishes on the interview. If he offers, take it and keep looking, at least it's work. Or, tell him to shove it!

So, we just had a mallard duck land in our pool. Butters was NOT happy!

Stacie, congrats on weighing the same as hubby. When I got close to my DH's weight, he decided to "show me" how to diet and lost 7 lbs just like that. He's never had a weight problem. It was a control issue. We had a near knock down, drag out over it and all is right with the world now, but he was a pip at the time!

To you and Shadst8, for me...sweet spot means I can go 3-4 hours between meals without obsessing over food. I don't weigh and measure my meals, but I do about 3-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup-ish of veggies, and prolly 1/4 cup of starch at dinner. lunch is often half a sandwich or half a deli salad and some crackers. Breakfast, Protein Shake or bar, or some graham crackers with Peanut Butter.< /p>

I do generally have a cheese stick after work and a banana thrown in somewhere.

Some days I can eat more, some less. I try not to freak on the hungrier days. I just try to make healthy choices. I don't always succeed, but I do my best.

Thanks--I guess I do have restriction--I just questioned my portion sizes as too large to be at my "sweet spot." I am sporadic as well. Today, 2hrs after my breakfast--I was really hungry and I ate more today at breakfast than yesterday

I posted this on the main board too...but figured i would ask all of you as well

A question for any of you who have done the 5 day pouch test. My husband has been out of town and I have had a nasty cold and not really hungry nor can I taste much...so I figured what a perfect time to do the pouch test! I had been stuck/plateaued for a while. During liquids I lost weight FAST! Like 6lbs fast...now that I am finally incorporating some food back in (and good food too) I have noticed that I gained almost 4 of it back :smile:. Have any of you experiened this??

Leigha-fingers crossed for ya that you have no leak!

Leigha, Wait to see what type of restriction you have...... I'm just thinking, if she hit the seam where the soft part of the port meets the hard plastic part she could have caused a leak. I would not jump to that conclusion unless you no longer have the restriction you had before the fill. She should have noted in your record about the mishap even if nothing comes of it.

If it were me, I would at least speak to the surgeon about what happened with the needle to make sure it is noted. If I needed a repair or a port replacement, I would fight tooth and nail to make them pay for it. (I was self pay too) I hope it all turns out fine, but it needs to be in your record. If any little mishap happens in the dental office we make a little note just because it is the right thing to do.

Well I think my port incident was a false alarm, I seem to be tight this morning as I am drinking a shake and it is gurgling down. I am going to call my regular fill nurse and make sure that she logs the incident on my file but I think everything is OK.

HB--Thanks for the advice about getting it logged. I am so scared I am going to have something happen that costs me another bunch of money!

Chickadee--I wonder if the weight loss was more a emptying of your digestive track and then refilling when real food was reintroduced? I usually have a bounce when I lose. I go 10 days or so without a loss, then I lose a pound a day for 2-3 days, then sometimes I gain 1 back and lose it a day or 2 later.

Shammah--It sounds like you could use a fill, but I do like your Dr's advice of going slow.

Karen--Congrats on your fill-(I saw it on FB)

Anne--That is so great, only a month away!

Hope everyone is doing well!

OK I have always been someone who refuses to tell pregnancy horror stories to pregnant women so I was going to keep this to myself cause I don't want to freak out the newbies but I am scared something happened to my band on Monday at my fill.

When I got to the hospital my regular girl wasn't there but another lady was, who said she has been doing fills for a year. So I laid down under the floro machine and she deadened my skin and got ready to do the fill. Well my port is covered with scar tissue, (I knew this would happen because I had Norplant implants and they could barely get them out because they had been so encapsulated in scar tissue) its no big deal but they just have to press extra hard to get the needle to go in (it doesn't hurt because of the numbing shot). So she pushed on the syringe and then I felt a thud and she pulled it out and looked at the assistant with wide eyes and the assistant was looking back with the same expression, then she told the assistant, "Go ahead and turn the xray on." And started palpating my stomach and asking me if I felt anything sticking me, I looked at the syringe and realized the needle was only about half as long as it had been. Then the assistant told her to look, that the needle had pushed back into the syringe, so it wasn't inside me. Whew! That was a relief, they both said they have never even heard of this happening. She then got a new needle gave me .4 into my band, made sure it was going through, I drank a Water and left.

Now the scary part. I am wondering if she poked a hole in my port. I don't have any restriction, my liquids seem to go right through. I was starving last night so I ate chili for dinner, no restriction but it can be considered a slider so that really wasn't a good example. Today is mushie day, what should I eat that will let me know if I have restriction or not? I obviously don't want to get stuck and inflame my stomach but if I have a problem with my port I want to bring it to the hospitals attention. Which brings up my next concern, if they poked a hole in my port are they responsible to fix it? (I was self pay and don't want to have to pay again) Sorry but my OCDness is on full alert and patience is not one of my virtue's when I get like this. Anybody have any suggestions?

Leigha-- i just saw this now and am praying everything is okay. It sounds like she probably just didn't hit the port dead on and didn't puncture the tubing, but defintely pay attention to how you're feeling when you get back on solids and they should absolultely pay for it if they've done any damage to it. Honestly, I am the same way (OCD-ish) when things could potentially be wrong, so I completely understand that you must be freaking right now. Please keep us posted. Prayers for you, chica!

Wheew, Leigha. I just responded to your post from yesterday and so glad to hear you think it's a false alarm. It's a very smart idea to have it logged. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

Of course I forgot to ask how much the doc gave me for the fill this morning. I will ask the assistant tomorrow, since I have my 6-month post-op checkup (yesterday was my 6-month bandiversary already!!) I honestly thought he wasn't going to give me one, given the way things went last time (even though he agreed to a small one then LOL), but when I swallowed the barium, he immediately said, "Yeah, that's going down too fast. We need to put some more in." I was secretly doing my happy dance in side LOL. So, he gave me some more, had me swallow more barium, realized he put too much in and pulled a little more out and said it looked good. I have been drinking Water and don't feel anything like I did last time I got a fill, but I'm not going to start obsessing (yet LOL). I am just happy that I wasn't going crazy and I really did need a fill LOL!

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble and vent. I appreciate your support. Praying my weight loss kick starts again!!!!

Wheew, Leigha. I just responded to your post from yesterday and so glad to hear you think it's a false alarm. It's a very smart idea to have it logged. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

Of course I forgot to ask how much the doc gave me for the fill this morning. I will ask the assistant tomorrow, since I have my 6-month post-op checkup (yesterday was my 6-month bandiversary already!!) I honestly thought he wasn't going to give me one, given the way things went last time (even though he agreed to a small one then LOL), but when I swallowed the barium, he immediately said, "Yeah, that's going down too fast. We need to put some more in." I was secretly doing my happy dance in side LOL. So, he gave me some more, had me swallow more barium, realized he put too much in and pulled a little more out and said it looked good. I have been drinking Water and don't feel anything like I did last time I got a fill, but I'm not going to start obsessing (yet LOL). I am just happy that I wasn't going crazy and I really did need a fill LOL!

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble and vent. I appreciate your support. Praying my weight loss kick starts again!!!!

I know you waited a long time to get there but am glad you finally are there!!! Congrats on being banded for 6 months. You are doing great on your weight loss.

Yay, Karen! 6 months and a fill. w00t!

Leigha, I'm glad things seem okay with your port.

I just had my third fill today, and now have 5 ccs in my 10 cc band. The stinkin' scale at the office said I was 173 (mid-morning with clothes on), but home scale (always less than their scale) says 171, first thing in the AM and sans clothes. Anyway, even with their numbers, they're still very happy with my progress. 30%+ EBW lost in three months.

Also, I asked two questions today. The first was about decaffeinated drinks. I drink 24 ounces of hot tea (decaf, splenda, skim milk) every day. I asked if I could count that as 24 ounces of Water because it's not caffeine/dehydrating. Surgeon said yep, but don't drink 64 ounces of tea and consider myself watered for the day! Heh.

Also, I've been losing hair. I'm getting plenty of Protein, taking Biotin. They said it's residual loss from the initial (three months ago) decrease in protein after surgery, when it was horrific to try to eat, drink, etc. I had about a week where I didn't eat much of anything. The surgeon also said the rapidity of the weight loss does it too. In my first 2.5 weeks (1 week pre-op and 1.5 weeks post), I lost 17 pounds. So that's pretty rapid, almost 7 pounds/week. Since then, it's been slow weight loss. Does this sound like your early three-month experiences?

Yay, Karen! 6 months and a fill. w00t!

Leigha, I'm glad things seem okay with your port.

I just had my third fill today, and now have 5 ccs in my 10 cc band. The stinkin' scale at the office said I was 173 (mid-morning with clothes on), but home scale (always less than their scale) says 171, first thing in the AM and sans clothes. Anyway, even with their numbers, they're still very happy with my progress. 30%+ EBW lost in three months.

Also, I asked two questions today. The first was about decaffeinated drinks. I drink 24 ounces of hot tea (decaf, splenda, skim milk) every day. I asked if I could count that as 24 ounces of Water because it's not caffeine/dehydrating. Surgeon said yep, but don't drink 64 ounces of tea and consider myself watered for the day! Heh.

Also, I've been losing hair. I'm getting plenty of Protein, taking Biotin. They said it's residual loss from the initial (three months ago) decrease in protein after surgery, when it was horrific to try to eat, drink, etc. I had about a week where I didn't eat much of anything. The surgeon also said the rapidity of the weight loss does it too. In my first 2.5 weeks (1 week pre-op and 1.5 weeks post), I lost 17 pounds. So that's pretty rapid, almost 7 pounds/week. Since then, it's been slow weight loss. Does this sound like your early three-month experiences?

I am just had my 3mth bandiversary last week--I am starting to lose hair--not in chunks, but slowly thinnning everyday--I get plenty of protein--70-100 grams a day and take Biotin, so I am in the same boat. I lost fast--20 in 2wk pre-op and 10--1.5 wks post-op). My hairstylist is going to start protein treatments also. I know it will grow back--until then when it starts looking really bad--of to the wig shop I go!

As of this morning I am no longer morbidly obese...just good old fashioned obese! I'm so proud! That whole "morbid" thing...yuck.

As of this morning I am no longer morbidly obese...just good old fashioned obese! I'm so proud! That whole "morbid" thing...yuck.

Congrats--that is a big accomplishment!

Hi, Gang! I hope everyone's doing well. I will do a catch-up in the morning.

Just wanted to share that I passed the 40 pound post-band mark---I guess I jumped off my plateau harder than I thought!

I also thought I'd share what's for dinner tonight--it seems good and band-friendly. I found it in Rachael Ray's magazine when I was waiting for Preston at the dentist's office.

Moo Shu Pork Kebabs

2 T hoisin sauce

2 T soy sauce

1 tsp. rice wine vinegar

1 T sugar (I will use Splenda)

1 tsp corn starch

12 oz boneless pork chops, cut into 16 1-inch cubes (I am leaving/serving them as whole chops because, well---I'm lazy)

16 white mushrooms (I'm using crimini, 'cause I have 'em--and I'll julienne them to be like the 'shrooms in moo shu)

1.5 T vegetable oil

3 c. shredded cole slaw mix

Preheat broiler. In a bowl, combine hoisin, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Pour half into another bowl and add cornstarch.

Thread pork and mushrooms onto 8 skewers. Rub with 1 T oil and place on baking sheet. (I plan to saute both, together.) Cook, turning once, for 5 minutes.

Brush with the hoisin mixture that doesn't have cornstarch. Cook, turning once for 4 more minutes.

In a skillet, heat the remaining 1.5 tsp oil over medium-high heat. Add coleslaw mix and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in hoisin-cornstarch mix and cook for 1 more minute.

I'm serving this with (for the family) peanut noodles; I'll just have 3-4 oz. of pork and veggies.

Have a great evening, everyone!

Edited by BetsyB

Yay Christie! No more rear end and just plain 'ol ordinary! Not bad at all!!!

Leigha, I'm glad things are going better for you and hope your fill puts you at the apparently elusive sweet spot.

Denise, I like your way of eating- thanks for sharing it. I'll probably end up doing something similar. Right now, and for awhile yet I'll be measuring and journaling just to educate myself. I'm still shocked at how little I've been and will be eating. I can't wait for the hunger pangs to be minimized!

Dottie, congrats on your dr's visit and him high-fiving you- certainly different than your last visit! Thanks, all for rooting for me!

Bobbie, are you hanging in? Thanks for walking into doors for me- I guess I better be doing the same for you!

Jackie, way to go with your 5k's! I can't imagine running a block at this point, but I'm a good walker. So I guess I better pack in the Protein around surgery time whether I feel like it or not, huh?

Karen, congrats on your 6 month bandiversary! Hope your fill works out for you.

Leigha, glad things are going better, and your scare was just a scare.

shadst8, I hope you've found restriction.

Stacie, I hope both your cold and stress level are better.

Betsy, thanks for your sharing and the excellent looking recipe.

I think we lost Bob to the Farm.

Me, I'm doing okay over here, still practicing. Won't be long until it's the real thing- I hope I hope!

Jeez--I go to work for 1 day and all these good things are happening on here!! :thumbup: Let's see where to start...

Leigha-Glad to hear you have RESTRICTION again and hopefully no leak!!

Karen-Happy Bandiversary and yay for the fill!!

Sawyer and Shad-I am almost 4months now and yes at 3mo I noticed (and still notice) the thinning. My doc told me the same thing as yours Sawyer and said hair has something like a 3 month span. So this 3mo in thinning is from the surgery 3mo ago and it SHOULD start growing back in around 6mo.

Christie- YAY!!! I'm not sure if I am there yet or not...but yes it is great to get rid of the MORBIDLY!!! I can't wait for just plain overweight lol.

Betsy-Congrats on the 40lbs! That is AWESOME..I'm almost there myself. and yay no more plateau!!

Me-well went to the PCP today...big long story..He gave me an inhaler for my exercise induced asthma (so no more excues for me). He prescribed Wellbutrin for the depression and axiety and also gave me a 1 mo script for Adavan since he said the Wellbutrin normally helps with the depression before it helps with the anxiety and to take that in the interim. I'm not too sure about that..but decided I'll try one on the weekend when I am not at work to see if I can function when I take it. I also got the results of my genetic tests. They are not great. i am + for 2 copies of the C677T mutation of the MTHFR gene. In short..I have a higher rish than normal of blood clots and other vascular diseases and hyperhomocysteinemia. He feels this may have caused my infertility/miscarriages as it can significantly raise the problems for Neural Tube Deficiency. Now I need to go to a hemotologist to see what he wants me to do. My PCP said he will prob recommend baby aspirin since I am young (28) and healthy for now..but I know the surgeon said he didn't want me on anything aspirin so we'll see. I also tested + for a gene linked to Hemochromatosis and my Iron levels are abnormally high. I am supposed to also talk to the hemotologist about this, but the PCP said since I get my monthly visit from Aunt Flo that it will rid my body of the excess iron for now and won't have to worry about the hemochromatosis until I go through menopause. He wants to check my iron every 6 months now though to be safe. If it ever does get too high then the only cure is to go in and get blood drained every few months to keep it at normal levels so I don't get organ damage. (makes me feel like I'm being vampirized lol :)) All of this was a little scary to take in, but at least I know it's there now and knowledge is power ya know! As for the cardiovascular problems (MTHFR) he said to also take folic acid and me losing the extra weight and eating better is the best thing! Sorry this is so long. HAPPY EARTH DAY!

Great milestone! :thumbup: