Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

I have a great NSV!! It may be a little mean spirited, but if you only knew.........

Lately I have been feeling those negative mid-life crisis feelings. The ones like I still look bad and I hate getting old.........Well, last night my son showed me some pics of his dad (my ex of many years ago, very bad marriage) The pics were on my ex's step-daughter's web page and were taken this last x-mas. OMG! The man looks like hammered shit! The years have not been kind to him at all! I know it may be a little mean, but I know I have weathered better and that makes me feel so much better!!!!!

I am new. Pre band. Surgery scheduled 4/30. I bit nervous as I was so hungry after church that I thought I was going to eat my husbands arm. I think I was just extra tired also due to benadryl for an allergy attack.

I understand the whole midlife crisis thing. I have another birthday wednesday. My ex has been "ridden hard and put away wet" as is a saying in my family for someone who is worse for ware. He is turning the same age the day after me. He always calls to wish me happy birthday and calls me the "old lady"........haaa. Better to be in midlife than no life at all!

The only reason I even know Bob is still alive is the farmville posts on facebook....

How come weekends are never long enough?!?!

Hi, y'all!

Whew! I have a lot of catching up to do. I've been reading when I can, but was so, so overwhelmed with work and life last week. I'm sorry! I think about you all all the time.

Things are okay here--just busy. I just finished doctoring a manuscript, and now am back with just my usual workload....whee! I feel free!

Weight-wise, I juggled the same 1.8 pounds from my last fill (3 weeks ago) until this past weekend, when it finally started going DOWN. I'm not at the sweet spot yet, but getting close enough that I have to listen to my band much more carefully. Talk about a learning curve! I have not yet fully mastered it!

Now I'll go back, read, and re-read so I can properly post :)

ETA:

Okay, here goes:

Amy--Congratulations on your excellent loss so far! You are doing so, so well! Regarding fills, every time I’ve had a fill, the doctor has used fluoroscopy to assess restriction. For safety purposes, he won’t go beyond a certain level---but that level does provide restriction. The caveat is that it provides restriction right then and there; that means that, two days hence, I may not have it.

Chances are, even being taken to the brink of sweet spot at Filling #1 will be ephemeral---you may enjoy restriction for a while, though. Especially since you still have enough to slime (congratulations! LOL)

I think it’s kind of a misconception, though, that we have a great deal of input for the first fill. Certainly, we give feedback to the doctor about what we are feeling. But we can’t specify, “I’d like you to fill ‘er up,” or “Take it easy today, doc.” I would wager you’ll go in, and see a line of 100 syringes, all filled with exactly the same amount of saline. For my doctor, that’s 4 ccs. For the first fill, all patients get around that much---or a little less, depending on what fluoro shows.

Denise-- I’m so impressed that your diabetes is being nipped in the bud! In terms of future health predictors, this is the biggest big deal I can think of! Congratulations!

Your most recent illness sounds horrendous. I’m glad you’re finally on the road to recovery. What a lousy way to lose weight!

You mentioned a baby sweater. Are you a knitter? (ETA: Okay, I just saw the frog hat, so I have the answer to that question---TOO CUTE!) I am aching to learn how to knit; I can do the very basics (cast on, knit, purl, cast off), but have never acquired the skills to actually make something. Would you say that the best way to learn is to take classes at a knitting shop? I wonder if there are any in this area---my aunt had one with marvelous, gorgeous, sumptuous wools. Hm. Maybe that will be my career in my dotage.

Re: potassium and blood pressure--there’s a complicated cell action-potential explanation I’ll skip (unless you want it!). But potassium is critical to maintaining heart function and blood pressure.

Christie--congrats on your great loss! Under 250---awesome!!

I’m so sorry you’re sad about your brother’s impending deployment. It must be so hard for you. What is your brother’s name---I’d like to keep him in my prayers. Also, I am an excellent care-package maker---if you ever get the sense he needs a boost, let me know and I will send him goodies.

My daughter’s lobster is deploying to Afghanistan soon, too. Abby is crushed and so, so scared. When he enlisted, his mother was beside herself. She’s very, very proud of him, but there is such ambivalence. Those men and women sacrifice so, so much for us.

Bob--Are you tired of Farmville yet?

Leigha--

Which leads me to wonder, do y'all think that gym workouts could be less effective than actually doing stuff outside?
Yes, I do think so. I think that the real, hard, using-your-whole-body physical labor can be a better workout than many gym regimens. My body agrees with me, this morning, too!

Take your vitamins! They are not like processed food (whatever that means lol)! If they are good-quality bariatric Vitamins, they are made to be readily used by the body. Green smoothies are fine, but they address only a portion of the micronutrients we need. (Track on Fitday.com for a while---you’ll be surprised to see what you’re missing out on, even with a good multi! I take my bariatric multi, cal-mag, Biotin, selenium, pantothenic acid, CoQ-10, and Vitamin D. Why? Because over time, I noticed that even with my multi, and upping veggies, etc, I was missing out on those nutrients.

When you reorder Protein, consider Bariatric Eating’s PURE unflavored protein. IMO, it “disappears” better than Unjury, and it’s less expensive, too J

Can eating sugar really set up a physical loop making you want more? Something to do with insulin? And if you stop using it all together you stop craving it? Is this a myth or is it medical fact?
It’s a bit of both, myth and fact.

In most people, the body does an exquisite job of maintaining blood sugar within very tight parameters. If you eat sugar--or foods easily broken down into sugars---the pancreas responds by producing insulin. Insulin “ushers” sugar molecules from the bloodstream into cells, where it is used for energy. In most people this is seamless, and blood sugar is brought back to within normal limits very rapidly.

Some people experience reactive hypoglycemia, though. Instead of going back to “normal,” they crash. And that does, indeed set up cravings.

For MOST of us, the craving that follows sugar or simple carb consumption is NOT physical---it’s just in our minds. We like the stuff. We miss it when we’re not eating it. Simple as that.

Re: your fill decision. I’d hold off, if you think it might make you too tight. It may be a “free” fill, but I bet the Unfill won’t be free! I just moved out of the free-fill zone, too--thank goodness I only have a $30 copay--my doctor charges $250 with fluoro.

Bobbie--I’m so sorry you’re on the rollercoaster. Job loss is so stressful; we’ve been there more than once, and it can be so hard to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I hope you get GOOD news very soon!

In the meantime, I am so glad you’re making use of resources available to you.

Re: calories. I do think their source matters, particularly when stomach space is finite. Right now, I concentrate on protein--because I’m still figuring out how much real estate I have in there, and it’s the most important for cell maintenance and repair. But when I reach goal, I plan to eat a balance of lean protein, veggies, heart-healthy fat, legumes, whole grains, and fruits (the latter two in more moderation than many people, based on my own peculiarities of metabolism).

While there are as many opinions about the proper mix of macronutrients as there are people with opinions, I do think the general consensus is that the foods going in should be nutrient-dense rather than junky. (At least most of the time.)

Anne--I’ll trade you beautiful New England for Illinois pollen and farm dust. (I live in an area that was, until recently, exurban. Out my front window is a farm; behind me (though not visible) is the usual Generica: Home Depots, Applebees, Walmart, etc. No wonder I have an identity crisis.

Congratulations on your losses! You are going to be in SUCH a good place when you have surgery!

Hummingbird--I am laughing so hard at your NSV. Hammered shit! That’s the best expression I’ve heard in a long, long time. I totally understand getting the warm fuzzies from other people’s deterioration in appearance. Count me in with the mean-spirited bunch, but there have been times when about all I’ve had going for me is the good genetics that keep me looking younger than many of my peers. (Of course, there IS the fear that it’s just that the fat is plumping out the wrinkles, and I, too, will look like hammered shit when all is said and done LOL! This is why I am already researching plastic surgeons.)

Dottie--I think we’re in much the same place, fill-wise. I have days when I think I’m (almost) there, and days when I’m sure I’m not! I hope your fill tomorrow gets you where you need to go.

Stacie--I’m so sorry you’re experiencing so much stress. It’s good you’re seeing your doctor on Thursday. I bet you’ll find that as your anxiety diminishes, so does your need to scale-hop as much. Compulsive stuff like that tends to be tied to anxiety…

It will get better (((Hugs))))

Karen--it definitely sounds like you need a fill! And TWENTY pounds from goal--you must be ecstatic. Or frustrated, depending on the day!

I wonder: I see that you’re very focused on restriction (as we all are!), but also referring to foods you “can” eat. Is it possible that you could substitute others, and reach your goal in a less-frustrating (and maybe more comfortable) manner? I mean, just ‘cause you can eat bread and pizza doesn’t mean you should. Don’t get me wrong--I think all of our lives have room for those foods. But if you’re really pushing to reach goal, maybe they should be reserved for further down the road? Just a thought---worth the paper it (wasn’t) written on!

Jacki! OMG--LOOK at you! Awesome. Congratulations on your running! You must be SO proud of yourself!

I am in the market for a new bike, too.

Lee Anne--welcome! I’m glad you’re joining us!

Whew! We're a prolific bunch!

Have a great Monday, everyone!

Edited by BetsyB

HB-I love the NSV! Totally rocks, in a mean spirited way. (I never said I was nice!)

I am so glad it's Friday. This week has just sucked. Work is, well, work. My older brother came back to Arkansas for 2 weeks before his official deployment started, so today they had the big send off as the entire unit headed off to Wisconsin before heading to Afghanistan. It's the last time we'll see him until next April. I had to work but my parents and son went up to say goodbye and random people kept calling to tell me to tell him thanks for his service...and every time someone says anything I cry....It just sucks.

I found myself yesterday craving, well, everything. I haven't done that in a LONG time. However today is much better on the fat front. I'm not starving, but have not exercised at all this week and am willing to bet the scales aren't nice to me on Monday morning. (but that's okay, 1 week of no weight loss isn't really a big deal in the long run, we'll get back on track this weekend)

Okay, enough whining, given what Bobbie has been handling I need to shut up and suck it up (btw, Bobbie you rock, it amazes me how you are handling all of this). So, just glad it's Friday! Have a good one!

((HUGS)) Christie. My brother is also being deployed (back) to Afghanistan. He left April 10 for Tennessee and then heads back to Afghanistan for his second tour in May. He was just promoted to Sargeant and we're so proud of him, but didn't think they'd send him back so soon. It's killing my mom because he's her only son. He is such a great uncle to all the kids and I can't bear to think of him going back. My heart goes out to you.

Betsy--you are right about staying away from the bread and pizza, and honestly I just had a bad week when I posted that--it's odd that I haven't changed my eating a bit though, upped the exercise and stopped losing! I just don't get it :-(! You are right too--while I'm excited about being so close to goal, I'm equally frustrated thinking that my loss won't start back up (which I would tell anyone else who said that this is simply not true), but I guess I just got so spoiled losing 2 to 3 each week that I'm now really disappointed. Still sending prayers your way and Mark's :-) ((HUGS))

Leanne--welcome!! Glad to have you here! Jump right in and make yourself feel at home

Jacki--You amaze me! What great pics! Congrats on the 5k! Holy wow--you go girl!!! I was thinking of asking hubby to buy me a bike for my birthday so we could all go riding now that the weather is getting better (I'm in NJ too :sad:). There are just not enough hours in the day it seems.

Stacie--I posted a ton of crock pot recipes awhile back, but I've updated my collection with quite a few others, so I've attached them in case you wanted them ALL :thumbup:

Bobbie--I want you to know that I'm saying tons of prayers for you and I hope that things start to get easier soon. You have amazing strength and know we're all here for you!!

Leigha--did you ever get to laugh at anyone for doing something stupid? LOL

So I have to keep telling myself that this is a new week and things will get better with the loss. I have a fill scheduled for Thursday, support group Thursday night and my 6-month post op visit on Friday. I think I'm going to go home and do some hip hop abs tonight. They have this GREAT total body burn workout that's about 40 minutes and uses weights, so it focuses on everything! If nothing else, my body fat is steadily moving (thank God my health center has the Tanita scale showing the distribution of the weight and my last weigh in a week and a half ago showed a loss of 15 lbs of fat, so my body is definitely reconfiguring. That is something I should Celebrate, right?)

Have a good week, everyone.

RECIPES.pdf

Edited by juliansmom2003

Happy Monday Everyone,

A couple weeks ago I was debating whether to have my third fill or wait. I had the fill 6 days ago and it has helped me reach my first goal of 50 pounds gone. I am so happy and pleased with the band. My fears continue to abate. Now I can imagine being under 200 in a few months!

Christie, Congratulations on your milestone!

Lee Anne, Hello and welcome.

Congratulations, Bree! That is an awesome accomplishment!

Hi Everyone,

Happy Monday..blah!

Bree, way to go! Congrats on 50!! Woohoo!!

Betsy, I am always interested in medical stuff, but prolly would not understand the cellular stuff of potassium and hearts. But suffice it to say, I experienced enough of it to last me! Pressure of 85/51 and pulse of 120...I don't EVER want to feel again.

I am actually a crocheter. I can knit, but not very well. I'd do lessons, if I had to do it over. I am self-taught, but it wasn't easy. But, I do enjoy it.

Bree--Way to go on 50!:sad:

Betsy--Glad your back, we missed you.:)

Denise--One of my biggest regrets is not sitting still and letting my great grandmother teach me how to crochet and knit. :sad:

Karen--I say, if the regular scales keep lying just keep weighing on the fat reduction scales! :(

Christie--I am with you on the short weekends. Whew that was fast....:thumbup:

OK My cheapness won out, I went for a fill today .4, so I am at 5.7. I am going to be extremely careful with 2 days of liquids and 2 days of mushies. I had lost 6 pounds since 3/22 so my average is still good, even though sometimes it seems like I am at a standstill. I lost more in Mar 22-April 19 than I did from Feb 18-Mar 22 which is strange because I tried harder in Feb and early March. My 6 month bandiversary is tomorrow, and I am down 48 pounds, which kind of irritates me because I really like round numbers and I know I could have tried 2 pounds harder. But like I always tell my son "Be grateful for what you have" so I am going to be grateful for my 48!

Yay, Leigha, for getting your fill! And I would give my eye-teeth to be able to say I've lost 48 lbs! Way to go!

Betsy, it is great to have you back!

Hey, all, keep your fingers crossed for me please! I see my doc tomorrow, and he sure better have some answers for me :sad:, or I will be :thumbup:, and will do as someone suggested, which is sic a bunch of LBTers on him!

LeeAnn-WELCOME!! Everyone here is just the greatest and so supportive! It is one of the highlights of my day to come on here and read what is going on with everyone!

Karen--you are the BEST!! I have just spent at least 20 min reading all your recipes! Can't wait to try some of them out! Any favorites out of the bunch?

Bree-Congrats!! :thumbup:

Me-I can't believe I forgot to tell you all of my most recent accomplishment!! I stepped on the scale and my fat % is now under 50% WOO HOO!! Plus I now weigh the same as my husband!! I need to drop a few more lbs or fatten him up a few more hehehe :sad: Have a great evening!!

Anne--fingers & toes are crossed for ya!

Me-I can't believe I forgot to tell you all of my most recent accomplishment!! I stepped on the scale and my fat % is now under 50% WOO HOO!! Plus I now weigh the same as my husband!! I need to drop a few more lbs or fatten him up a few more hehehe :thumbup: Have a great evening!!

WOOHOO on weighing less than your husband!!! One of my major goals in life is to weigh less than my lean, mean, 6'3 father...I'm 9 inches shorter than him so you'd think that wouldn't be hard. He hovers between 195 and 200, if he hits 205 he feels fat and starts watching his girlish figure...apparently I got mom's genes on this one, not dads, darn the luck!

Betsy-His name is James Reid, any thoughts and prayers are always appreciated. It's funny, I don't think it even phases him to be going...he's a manly man, all into the guns and such (although, yeah, he's probably hiding it some). He is the unit commander and has a whole bunch of young faces looking up to him for support and strength. His dog Delilah has moved in with use for the duration, I'm fairly certain I've been set up and he's hoping that in a year Connor and Delilah will be attached at the hip and will be mine forever....brat. (actually she's a sweet dog, I love her to death, but last year I watched her for a week and she ate my house....)

Five weeks from my last fill and I'm still in the slightly tighter than I'd like to be category, solid Protein is a major issue and if I so much look at rice I start to hurt. Last week was really a bear at work, emotionally and physically, way too many lunches and dinners and way too much crying, and too much emotional drama, and I'm PMSing...I felt like I was just barely hanging by my toenails....but it's getting better and I feel like I'm a little more in control of my world again...and...amazingly, the hunger has calmed down just as quickly. Very odd to feel like I was starving but only be able to eat 3-4 bites at a time.

Have a great week everyone and keep up the good work!

Good evening one and all ...

First of all, I want to apologize for being such a Debbie Downer lately ... One of my friends pointed this out to me earlier today, and I didn't realize I was being so difficult to be around. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers, and for still being here for me ...

Chickadee81 - Me-I can't believe I forgot to tell you all of my most recent accomplishment!! I stepped on the scale and my fat % is now under 50% WOO HOO!! ... Sooooo , You have a scale that figures out the fat % ? Really ? DO TELL !!!! :-)

Bree - Congratulations on 50 gone forever !!

LeeAnn - Welcome to our little piece of Bandster Heaven :-) I hope we'll be able to help you and inspire you along your journey ...

AnnGG - I have everything crossed for you for tomorrow!! Even my eyes :-) Now I just have to try not to walk into the walls or trip over the cats LOL

Karen - Karen--you are the BEST!! I have just spent at least 20 min reading all your recipes! Can't wait to try some of them out! Any favorites out of the bunch?

Did I miss these here somewhere ????? I LOVE recipes, food ideas, shortcuts and knowing what / how others cook and prepare foods. I'm a foodie at heart !

Betsy - I concur with everyone else - Glad you're back, and that all is well :-) Thank you for your advice and kind words earlier...

juliansmom2003 - HUGS right back to you .... I dont have any family in the military, but many friends and their significant others . War sucks ass ............

jackie - You look MAH-velous !!!! truly ... Way to go !!

Leigha - I'm happy you decided to go in. I think in a wek or so, you'll also be very happy you went :-)

Denise - again, congrats on the grand nephew!! Thats so exciting !!!! I want to see pics when your ensemble is completed ... :-)

Christie - Congrats on your loss !! Thats so awesome!! :-) and lots of hugs to you too ((big squeeze ))

I know I'm forgetting some, and I'm sorry about that. I'll check in twice with you next time :-D

So, My diet efforts are out the window at this point ... I need to get back on track, but dont have the gumption yet. I've mainly been eating sunflower seeds, very small dishes of ice cream, small amounts of chips, and biscotti, with the occasional beef roast or fish thrown in. I'm so far off track I can't see the blinking lights anymore. I even started smoking again last week! I'm just so down right now. I KNOW it will get better !! I know that in my heart, but my head is really messing with me ...

OH !! the jerk from Sears Optical called me today! He wants to still interview me. Apparently I'm on the short list of prospects he's interested in hiring. I'm not sure if i'm excited or not. BUT. I'll have to go in and see him tomorrow as my phone got cut off today .. figures, right ? I HATE Alltel. Oh well.

I havent moved much off my recliner in the past week. Damn Facebook ! LOL My ass feels 6 inches wider ...

Anyway, I know what I HAVE to do, it's just a matter of doing it, ya know?

Well, Now that ive thouroughly depressed us all, I'm gonna try to sleep. Thats been a challange the past 2 weeks as well.

Good night, my friends. Tomorrow is another day, with promises of a new start :-)

how do you start a new thread?

Anne, Let us know your date when you get back from the Dr.'s !

Christie, James is in my thoughts and prayers. Maybe the new dog needs to take classes like Butters? Emotional times suck! I am glad you are feeling a little better. When I have a hard time with solid Protein chili is my friend. Good protein.

Betsy, It sounds like you have been on "overload." I hope it slows a little and stays that way for a bit.

Leigha, I hope the fill does the trick for ya!

Karen, You Rock! and.... I must say......You look marvelous!

Lee Anne, Howdy and welcome. Happy Birthday!

Bobbie, Hang in there. Things will get better. Put the carbs down :ohmy: Try some chili! :)

Elfie, Are you lost on the farm with Bob?

Liz, Bogged down at work? lost on the farm?

There are others who have not checked in ....... how are you all doing?

As for me, the scale is still moving as slow as a snail, but it is moving. For the past 2 months I go 2 weeks with no loss and then drop 2 lbs. This last 30 lbs. is going to be slow. At least I weigh what my drivers license says now :thumbup: On Sunday My grandson (8) was taking a bath in my master bathroom. I was doing some closet shopping and stepped out in the hall to use the full length mirror. He could see me in the hall from the tub and said, "Grandma, have you lost weight?" Bless his heart! I don't really talk about the band to him, but he does notice I don't eat some things.