Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Bandster Bunnies

Thanks twincerely. I am going to GNC after daughter's soccer game. Looking forward to great relationship with this group. You guys rock.

How is everyone feeling today? I feel good. Just banded on 4/6 and am sore at port site. A little sore in sternum. Not sure if that is from surgery or from gastroparesis.

I got a pill splitter from Walgreens to cut my pills in half. It has been a life saver.

Hi all,

I am going to be banded on the 23rd and it is great to read through all of your experiences to help me through some of the questions and nervousness. I am going to go get Protein Shakes etc tomorrow. It sounds like the Isopure stuff at GNC is a good idea along with some sort of Protein shot or shake to break things up.

It is great to hear you all doing so well. I am diabetic and take metformin extended release.. does anyone have suggestions on this since it is such a huge pill I am sure I will have to do something about that one..

It sounds like walking a lot helps too..

Thanks! Tera

I was on Metformin extended release too. Before my preop and some weight loss, I was running 150-160 fasting ON the Meds. After the surgery (three days out) and down 23 pounds, I am running 115-130 fasting NOT on the meds. My other readings are all under 115. I am hoping to not have to take any more meds for diabetes.

There is a liquid Metformin called Riomet, but it is not extended release so you have to take it across the day.

When I thought I was going to get my band last August (long story) I tried it. It did not work quite as well, but not too bad. Taste was ok, for me anyway.

Hope you can go off the meds and not need them. The preop diet was really important for me. My surgeon did not require anything except two days of liquids so I did my own version. I had protein shakes (very low carb) at Breakfast and lunch and lean meat (chicken breast, pork tenderloin, shrimp) and steamed broccoli or cauliflower with fresh celery, peppers, cucumbers, etc for dinner. I lost 23 pounds in 4 weeks. It was hard, but worth it. The first 3 days are really hard but day 4 you lose your appetite and it gets a lot easier. It was worth it to me to know I had a good start and my liver was shrunk down. I think it made my surgery go a lot better.

Good luck, it is just around the corner!

Hi all,

I am going to be banded on the 23rd and it is great to read through all of your experiences to help me through some of the questions and nervousness. I am going to go get Protein Shakes etc tomorrow. It sounds like the Isopure stuff at GNC is a good idea along with some sort of Protein shot or shake to break things up.

It is great to hear you all doing so well. I am diabetic and take metformin extended release.. does anyone have suggestions on this since it is such a huge pill I am sure I will have to do something about that one..

It sounds like walking a lot helps too..

Thanks! Tera

Hi Tera,

I have to take glumetza (metformin time release) too. I had my band surgery on Wed, so I'm on day 4. I was going to have to have my PCP send me in an alternative metformin in liquid form, but my surgeon told me to monitor my blood sugars and not to take any diabetes meds and to call him if my sugars ran consistently under 78 or over 157. So far, my readings have been in the 120's!! I'm sure this is because of the little bits of liquids that I'm eating (and not hungry in the least). I have also been enjoying the Muscle Milk powder from costco with fat free milk. Both the chocolate and vanilla are great and sometimes I add a 1/2oz sugar free caramel Syrup.

Anyways, hope that helps... and best wishes to you!!

Lori

Enjoying reading the blogs for those just recently banded. You are helping me get pshyced for my date at the end of the month 4/30.

Next Saturday I am going to start a new schedule. I will get up an hour early to have my coffee, Vitamins an hour before eating. I will take that time to get ready for the day and then practice eating without drinking. Any tips? I would be interested. :confused:

I am so excited! I got approved a whole month before I thought I was able to send my stuff to the ins company. I am scheduled to have my band on April 23 with Dr. Wilcox in Sewickley, Pa. When the doctor's office called me at work I was almost in tears. I felt like I had won the lottery. I have worked so hard on the 6 month diet. I lost 35lbs. I am so ready for this procedure. I hope I am as successful as all the other dedicated people on this website. This site has been an inspiration to me throughout the entire process. Please wish me luck as I begin the rest of my life in less than 2 weeks.

One more week....had a wedding today that I was given permission to eat a bit [still being a week out + weight lost pre-preop diet = 1 meal splurge :tongue:] It was strange to be eating again...after a week of nothing but liquids. Meal was good, but I had no trouble pushing the plate away after a bit of steak, completely skipped the potatos. My down fall was the dinner roll and butter - yum! I was disappointed with the cake, as I had helped out at the cake tasting, so I knew what the cake was "supposed" to be, but my table was served a sheet cake of a different flavor [don't get me going on that whole idea....:confused:. Had a couple small tastes and then done! I walked away with cake on the plate!! Unheard of!!!! So back home and back to broth tonight....I think it would be a real kick to be down 20 by surgery. I remember from my old WW days [one of the multiple retreads] that 10% off the bod = visible difference in appearance, so 20 pre-op should line me up to get to 10% fairly shortly after my return to the office. Oh, I was able wear a dress that had been sidelined in the closet, too....all around a pretty nice day. Oh, and the wedding was beautiful also.:thumbup:

I began the journey in Sept. '09. Got approvals and finished the six months of nutritional counseling in March '09. Started my 5-day liquid pre-op diet today. Will have the final PCP doctor's complete check-up plus EKG and chest xrays on Tuesday 4/13 (my birthday) and am scheduled for banding on Thursday 4/15. I think this is the greatest birthday present I could possibly give myself.

Katy

I began the journey in Sept. '09. Got approvals and finished the six months of nutritional counseling in March '09. Started my 5-day liquid pre-op diet today. Will have the final PCP doctor's complete check-up plus EKG and chest xrays on Tuesday 4/13 (my birthday) and am scheduled for banding on Thursday 4/15. I think this is the greatest birthday present I could possibly give myself.

Katy

I think that is fantastic and am very happy for you! While you are in surgery I will be having my pre-op testing on the 15th. I have been eating a few more things that were "forbidden" in the past 6 months. My surgeon does not require a strict pre-op diet right before the surgery, but I think I'll stick to Protein to make sure my liver doesn't get in the way of the procedure. I have been spending my evenings getting my house and kitchen prepared to come home from the hospital. I suppose I am nesting a bit. :confused:

Best of luck to you and I look forward to hearing about how well you did!

Hello Bandster Bunnies!

I had my Endoscopy on Thursday to confirm a hiatal hernia and then had hernia repair and banding on Friday April 9th. We had a 250 mile drive home from San Antonio, but overall I am doing very well. I have actually felt a little worse today following the drive home then I did yesterday right after surgery....definitely more bloated.

I was telling Froggie D that they gave me a device to use called a Voldyne Volumetric Exerciser that is supposed to help build up my oxygen intake and to clear my lungs of the anesthesia...it has actually been harder for me to make it to my mark today than it was yesterday...but I am still plugging away at it.

I am on the liquid version of the hydrocodone....but believe it or not it actually revs me up and I haven't been able to sleep :confused:. Oh well, it does take the pain away and thank the Lord I have not been hungry! It is so good to read all of your posts and I wish the best for all of the up coming surgeries.

Alyssa,

I wish you the best on your banding...I had mine done Friday the 9th and so far so good. I really believe these forums will be of great help to us!

after reading happy trucker i hope my op is as straight

forward.I was ment to be banded on the 1st but postponed to 26th so started pre op diet today.

In New Zealand its usual to have 3optifast shakes or Soups then 2cups salad/veges for lunch and tea.

I envey you guys in the USA you get a lot more sugar free stuff than over here,but as i live on a farm our food is homegrown and fresh.my tummys feeling a bit empty on the 1st day,plus a rotton cold-oh well im still excited bout the weeks ahead.takecare April Bandsters.

P.S im amazed your sent home the same day,we stay overnight here.

Hello to all,

My date is April 26th and am so glad to be joining all of you. Good luck to all the April bandsters.:confused:

Hello Bandsters, I am Kim and I was just banded on Wednesday, April 7, 2010. I live in Huntsville, Texas and am recovering nicely. I actually began this Quest back in 2006 but never qualified due to my insurance. Once that changed in July 2009 I began again and here I am. My Surgeon did not require a pre op diet so this broth/water/crystal light regimen has grown tiresome. I think those of you who embrace that diet before will most likely not have the emotions and hunger that I still experience 4 days post op. I was quite beside myself today and found this site and hope that you all will be the added support I feel I need right now. I feel separated somewhat from my family due to my diet and the fact that I am trying to take it easy, as I plan to return to work on Monday, April 12th. I know what I have done is in the long run for the best, however I am in constanct doubt that I have alienated myself. Thanks for listening and your replies and encouragement are most welcomed.

Hello Bandsters, I am Kim and I was just banded on Wednesday, April 7, 2010. I live in Huntsville, Texas and am recovering nicely. I actually began this Quest back in 2006 but never qualified due to my insurance. Once that changed in July 2009 I began again and here I am. My Surgeon did not require a pre op diet so this broth/water/crystal light regimen has grown tiresome. I think those of you who embrace that diet before will most likely not have the emotions and hunger that I still experience 4 days post op. I was quite beside myself today and found this site and hope that you all will be the added support I feel I need right now. I feel separated somewhat from my family due to my diet and the fact that I am trying to take it easy, as I plan to return to work on Monday, April 12th. I know what I have done is in the long run for the best, however I am in constanct doubt that I have alienated myself. Thanks for listening and your replies and encouragement are most welcomed.

Hi Kim,

Fellow Texan here! :tongue: I live in Edinburg, Texas but I was banded in San Antonio on Friday April 9th. It is about a four hour drive, but well worth it for a great surgeon and office team.

Are you doing any Protein Shakes, or sugar free Jello? I find both of those things to be very soothing to my tummy...especially when the rest of the family are going on with their eating. :confused: So far I have not been hungry, but when I feel a little queasy after taking my liquid pain med, the jello is a lifesaver.

I know what you mean by feeling scared and left out, but just remember once we get on the road and back to solid foods, we will be able to feel more included with our families. I have a grown son still at home and of course my husband and they are both hearty eaters. My challenge will be to eat slowly when they are around, because they can really wolf it down. I am hoping that some of these good eating habits will wear off on them. :thumbup: Just remember that ultimately you have become a "bander" for you and so that you can become a happier healthier woman. Yes, you will be eating differently from the rest of your family, but my hope and prayer for you is that as they see the difference this will make for you that they will get on board and become more supportive of this GREAT decision that you have made. You are doing a good job, keep up the good work and see if you can add some Protein Drinks to your regimen it will really help.

Melanie

after reading happy trucker i hope my op is as straight

forward.I was ment to be banded on the 1st but postponed to 26th so started pre op diet today.

In New Zealand its usual to have 3optifast shakes or Soups then 2cups salad/veges for lunch and tea.

I envey you guys in the USA you get a lot more sugar free stuff than over here,but as i live on a farm our food is homegrown and fresh.my tummys feeling a bit empty on the 1st day,plus a rotton cold-oh well im still excited bout the weeks ahead.takecare April Bandsters.

P.S im amazed your sent home the same day,we stay overnight here.

Hi Rosmay,

So sorry you are having to deal with a cold on top of your pre-op diet. That is a real bummer. I have always wanted to visit New Zealand....now if I ever get a chance to go, I will have a friend to look in on!