Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Bandster Bunnies

Hello everyone,

I got a date of April 29th, I will be going for all my testing on the 16th of March. I do have a question, my doctor told me if I have a hiatal hernia, he will not band me. Why wouldn't a doctor fix the hernia oppose to the more drastic bypass surgery that he requested I get. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi BobKat,

I had hiatal hernia repair and Banding done at the same time on April 9th. I think I would question your surgeon about this as hiatal hernia repair along with banding seems to be quite common.

Hello Bandsters, I am Kim and I was just banded on Wednesday, April 7, 2010. I live in Huntsville, Texas and am recovering nicely. I actually began this Quest back in 2006 but never qualified due to my insurance. Once that changed in July 2009 I began again and here I am. My Surgeon did not require a pre op diet so this broth/water/crystal light regimen has grown tiresome. I think those of you who embrace that diet before will most likely not have the emotions and hunger that I still experience 4 days post op. I was quite beside myself today and found this site and hope that you all will be the added support I feel I need right now. I feel separated somewhat from my family due to my diet and the fact that I am trying to take it easy, as I plan to return to work on Monday, April 12th. I know what I have done is in the long run for the best, however I am in constanct doubt that I have alienated myself. Thanks for listening and your replies and encouragement are most welcomed.

Hey Kim, hang in there! We are with you!

:thumbup:

I was banded on April 7 also and I did not have a real preop but after reading on here about others, I put myself on one. The first 3 days are the hardest. :cursing: On day four if you are getting in Protein your appetite will start to diminish.

You did not mention Protein on your orginal post. Are you doing a Protein shake or Protein powder? I am having two per day (I really have to push to get them down as I can only do a sip at a time now). My surgeon insists on getting enough good protein to help with healing.

Feel free to post frequently and people will respond and the support is terrific. :tongue: It has been a Godsend to me.

I understand about feeling left out of the family. I feel that a bit too, but have decided I am going this for me and no temptation when watching family eat is going to get in my way. This is my last-ditch effort to change my life and I am going to succeed. There will be time with family after the habits are more ingrained. My family is very supportive, but certainly have not stopped eating. LOL :sad:

Glad you are one of us now!!!!!!!!!

:confused::Dancing_biggrin:

Hi Guys! How's everyone doing? I'm on day 9 post op and feeling great! My port site is still pretty sore though...is this normal?

I'm curious to know how you guys are doing mentally. I saw a group of friends yesterday and they all commented on how happy and energetic I seemed. I didn't even realize that I was feeling pretty damn good! I get up early now, never tired and have loads of energy. I'm even thinking clearer. Do any of you notice a change like this? I'm sure it has alot to do with not having fast food or pizza in almost 2 weeks lol but I didn't think it would hit me this quickly. I'm likin this!

Another question...with all this warm weather rolling in I could use a cocktail! I'm curious if any of you that have been banded already have had any alcohol yet. It seems a bit early. I am tempted to have a glass of wine but I think I should wait till I'm on solid foods. Any thoughts?

Edited by GMC

This is turning out to be the best year ever. By the Grace of God, my job is tranferring me to Huntsville, Al in the summer (where my family is). I get a huge raise in March. I have a surgery date for April 2nd for my LAP-BAND®. My hubby, finally got an interview date for his immigration status in March. We are buying our first home in the the next few months in Huntsville.

I am just counting my blessings and I feel God has been great to my family and I. Hopefully, I will be able to get in shape, look sexy, get off my BP meds and enjoy life. Thanks for allowing me to share this with u guys.

GO BANDSTER BUNNIES !!!:confused:

Sounds like you are a Christian. I am a Christian also and know that I will need God's strength more than ever for this journey. food has always been a problem for me. My top weight was 267. I lost 100 lbs by eating smaller meals but have put back on 50+. I am looking toward lapband as a tool, "like a hammer to a nail" and hopefully get my focus back where it needs to be..........

I hate focusing so much on me. I am turning more to food pre surgery as I am self pay and my bmi doesn't warrant a long preop diet of liquids. Well that is all for now. Thanks for posting

Yes prayer and support will be imperative. I found muscle milk at costco. It is not soy based but I am not sure if it is a Meal Replacement. I will pray for you as this will be tough at first but we can do this!! I heard a neat saying today that miracles come in "cans". So we "can"!

19 days till surgery.....4/30. I am out of control. I bought candy like it is the last supper or something. I wish the date were sooner but I am so grateful to God I am able to self pay on this.

:confused:

Thinatheart,

I can so relate to you. I was terrible with my pre-op diet. I was banded on Friday the 9th and now I feel a quiet resolve to succeed. I am also self-pay. Let's do this together with God's help.

I went through the "Last Supper" mentality after i was approved. Today is day 5 and my husband had spaghetti with garlic bread. I wanted to lick the garlic butter right off the bread.

I am looking forward to a new week start. It should be good.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Has anyone heard from Waynoo? Was just wondering how he was doing?

How is everyone else that recently got banded would love more updates from everyone. I am day 4 post op. Still have shoulder pain, chest pain (can't get a good deep breath) , I keep having these burp hiccup type things that I can feel rolling all the way up my chest. They are killer and my port site is still real sore and bruised. I feel a tad better but not much. I am so ready to start feeling better. Anyone else still having pains?

Good luck to everyone getting banded this week. :thumbup:

How is everyone else that recently got banded would love more updates from everyone. I am day 4 post op. Still have shoulder pain, chest pain (can't get a good deep breath) , I keep having these burp hiccup type things that I can feel rolling all the way up my chest. They are killer and my port site is still real sore and bruised. I feel a tad better but not much. I am so ready to start feeling better. Anyone else still having pains?

I was wondering about Waynooo too. I was banded Friday the 9th and I am doing pretty well. Yes, I still have the pain when my four hours is up, but hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to just use tylenol. It seems like after I have laid down for a little while I have trouble with deep breaths and I am still very hoarse until I get some fluids down, but overall I feel good. Not hungry...just make sure that I eat some Jello anytime I take my Hydrocodone elixir.

still having a hard time drinking Protein Drinks and the left shoulder pain is crippling today. i ve walked like hell and im tired

pity party of one your table is ready

Sunday Night and I am starting to feel pretty good. My stitches are losing their soreness. My stomach is not aching like it was. I did not have shoulder pain until yesterday (banded on Wednesday) and it was because of having allergy symptoms on Friday night and coughing a lot. Still having some shoulder pain, but not bad with Tylenol.

I go back to work tomorrow. Hopefully I will feel pretty good.

I am not hungry at all, but I am trying to get in more Protein Powder drinks to get all my Protein. I can only take one drink at a time and my stomach feels sooo full. I am not bringing it back up, but it goes down really slowly. Behind my breast bone is really achy. When my breast bone area aches, my shoulder aches too. I have had three diluted protein drinks, 24 ounces each, one can of broth, 14 ounces, and one bottle of Water, 24 ounces. Seems like that should be able to run through pretty easily, but it doesn't. I am still using Gas-X as that seems to help it a bit.

Hope everyone else is doing well. It does get better each day.

Sunday Night and I am starting to feel pretty good. My stitches are losing their soreness. My stomach is not aching like it was. I did not have shoulder pain until yesterday (banded on Wednesday) and it was because of having allergy symptoms on Friday night and coughing a lot. Still having some shoulder pain, but not bad with Tylenol.

I go back to work tomorrow. Hopefully I will feel pretty good.

I am not hungry at all, but I am trying to get in more Protein powder drinks to get all my protein. I can only take one drink at a time and my stomach feels sooo full. I am not bringing it back up, but it goes down really slowly. Behind my breast bone is really achy. When my breast bone area aches, my shoulder aches too. I have had three diluted protein drinks, 24 ounces each, one can of broth, 14 ounces, and one bottle of Water, 24 ounces. Seems like that should be able to run through pretty easily, but it doesn't. I am still using Gas-X as that seems to help it a bit.

Hope everyone else is doing well. It does get better each day.

Froggie,

Good luck at work tomorrow...don't over do it. I was just reading in my Lap Band Solution Book and it says don't eat if you are not hungry.... so I guess that applies to the protein drinks too. :thumbup:

Twinserley -- I was also thinking that we have not heard from Waynoo.

I get banded on Wednesday and I am so excited and ready. Although I do not have experience yet I am told that walking helps with the burps/hicups and gas pain.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

I was wondering about Waynooo too. I was banded Friday the 9th and I am doing pretty well. Yes, I still have the pain when my four hours is up, but hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to just use tylenol. It seems like after I have laid down for a little while I have trouble with deep breaths and I am still very hoarse until I get some fluids down, but overall I feel good. Not hungry...just make sure that I eat some Jello anytime I take my Hydrocodone elixir.
Twinserley -- I was also thinking that we have not heard from Waynoo.

I get banded on Wednesday and I am so excited and ready. Although I do not have experience yet I am told that walking helps with the burps/hicups and gas pain.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

I am doing well. Twinserly, I too have the rolling hicaburp pain in the chest going on. That is the most misserable part right know. I had my surgery @ 1:15 and was given the option of staying over in the Hospital. Since we had a 4.5 hour drive at night in Elk country we decided to stay at the hospital. Every one was so nice to us. Oncwe I got home I took it easy, walking every hour and using the sperometer regular. Today I feel real good, still a few pains here and tehre and do not want to exert to much energy as I can still tell some one was in my tummy. The best thing was the I was able to go back to protien shakes yesterday. That really helped with the healing and getting to know my band. I must have some restriction as I can feel an uncomfortable pain when i have to much. Thanks for asking how I am, it means alot, Wayno

Editted to add: My tongue is numb! It has been since surgery, just the right side, but still numb! An unfortunate side effect?