Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Numbing medication with fills

Did you get numbing medication with your fill?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get numbing medication with your fill?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not got a fill yet

My first doctor didnt use xray but did use lidicane injections. Never quite understood the whole needle to use a needle again. My new NP uses the spray numbing stuff (forgot what it is called) I like that much much better! She also uses an xray machine to see where my port is so she is able to get it right off. To the poor girl whos port is tilted, do you not worry about how many times they are penetrating the port? I thought I had read somewhere on here that there are a certain number times that it can be pricked......I know its in the thousands but if you are having to be stuck 30 times each fill, that would worry me!

Deanna:blush:

On the times that my fill is easy and he hits it the first time, I probably could stand it without the numbing meds, BUT there was a couple times where he had to poke around a lot. Those times I was VERY grateful for the meds. And you never know when those times will happen, so I'm happy I get the meds.

I had my first fill on Monday, December 28 with no numbing medication. I had absolutely no discomfort. Just felt like someone very lightly touched my skin. That's all. It was a breeze for me but just because it was for me that doesn't mean it is for everyone.

There is absolutely no way I could get a fill without numbing medication. My port is tilted so it takes many many tries with the needle, we're talking probably 30 tries in one sitting. I can't imagine what it would feel like without being numb.

I'm sure you can request numbing medication, I doubt you're the only patient of theirs who has experienced pain.

Just a word of advice for you about letting them poke you so many times. I too, had a tilted port and they would poke me several times each fill. Finally it poked a hole in my port and some of the tubing. I had to have a port revision. Not fun, took longer to bounce back from that surgery than the original one. Please don't be afraid to speak up so you don't end up like I did.

I have had three fills, and I haven't been offerend numbing meds. I don't really think I need them though. The first fill was a breeze. During the second fill, he had to stick me twice because he missed the port the first time, but that wasn't too bad. The third time, he got the port right away, but he had to apply a lot of pressue because I have a LOT of scar tissue around my port area. The pressure was a bit uncomfortable, but I don't think a numbing shot would necessarily help that.

On a side note, my husband went with me the last time (hadn't been with me for the first two) and he got queezy from seeing the fill. Funny how it bothers him but not me, and I'm the patient!!!

I finally got my first fill yesterday after 3 months post op, yes I had numbing meds and I can't imagine not having it as it hurt like he!!, I think my port may still be sensitive as the Dr seems surprised that I squirmed all over the table. Mine is done by flouro so I was standing up on the table. Good luck to anyone who does not get meds, stay strong. love the restriction but not looking forward to the next visit.

my daughter's PA who does her fills doesn't use a numbing agent, but also uses a very small needle and they've done thousands of fills. My doctor at the time I had surgery had only done five bands and the needle is a horse needle. So I'll take the numbing agent. Works for me. :smile2::)

trisha

I get numbing medicine.. i also had a nightmare experience on my first fill.. so i now do floro.. (under scanner) to get my into my port.. it was great after that.. but i do use numbing medicine.. ask your dr..

i hate my stomach area especially my belly button being touched ( makes me nauseous) and I am also very afraid of needles ( the more i get poked the more afraid of needles I am).Anyways I always getting the numbing stuff in my stomach before getting filled. My doctor didnt want to use it last time but I said no way in hell will he ever poke me without it. I am too much of a baby when it comes to pain and I am afraid without the numbing stuff fill will hurt.

excuse my language, but i've always been scared shitless of needles..especially LARGE needles....as in the day of my surgery, i was more afraid of the IV needle than the actual surgery!

i have to say that after 3 fills now i have NO problem with the needles...but i absolutely get Lidocane!!! He usually gives me 2 little shots of it and i'm good..i feel nothing until he hits the port with the needle..that still feels weird. But the first fill i had i only got one shot of lidocane and i'll NEVER do that again or use nothing....it hurt like hell!

GET LIDOCANE :w00t: Just my opinion

I too raised this same question

My fill hurt like no bodies business!

Yes they did use rather large needles.

I was told in order to get the numbing medication I would have to get 2 shots with the same needle....

"Ahhh Heck no!"

I bear down and clinch my hands and take it for the team. It's only once a month and when you get to your sweet spot it's almost never. So take the pain in stride and get ready for your new wardrobe!

omg i have always used numbing meds before a filll but my doctor pleaded with me to let him skip the numbing stuff today and after 5 minutes i sucked it up and went without and i didnt even feel a thing! It actually felt better without the numbing meds because after a fill my stomach is still numb as I go home and i hated that. Today was good. I can't believe it didnt hurt.

I have had 2 fills without numbing shot. Both were painless, but I suggest not looking at the needle. I just look at the ceiling and everything is a breeze.

My wife and I go in together for our fills. She's tough and gets no numbing meds. I'm a whimp and get numbed evey time!

My Dr. uses a spray to numb the area, and I don't feel a thing! Thank goodness!